Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Supply Problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Supply Problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supply Problems - 1/12/2019 11:24:55 PM   
codem

Does anyone have any good links or videos on Axis Supplies? I do not understand how it works. For example, I have an air unit next to an HQ and the hex of the air unit has a supply of 7. The current strength of the unit is 6, yet I can not provide in reineforcements or upgrades. The hex is also showing in red.

I have similar issues on the easter front with units that I can't seem to get enough supplies to them making it practically impossible for my front line units even to kill some silly partisan unit that showed up.

Since this games been around for sometime.. I'm assuming it something I'm doing wrong.. but don't know what it is.. hence don't know how to fix it.

I'm encountering a similar issue in World At War with Japan... so I'm guessing its not a bug that would have been carried over to the new game..... please help if you can. Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Supply Problems - 1/12/2019 11:44:50 PM   
Kornstalx

Air units are a special exception to normal HQ supply rules. Page 77 of the WiE manual:

* HQs may only improve the supply level of air
units that that are under their direct command,
i.e. that are attached to them. Otherwise the
air unit will only receive supply from nearby
resources.

* An air unit that could have higher supply if it
were attached to an HQ will show with a red
hatched highlight underneath it. If supplied
by a HQ but it could receive higher supply if
commanded by another nearby HQ projecting
higher supply, will show with a purple hatch
highlight underneath it.

(in reply to codem)
Post #: 2
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 12:30:27 AM   
sPzAbt653

See also posts 5 to 8 here:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4363373

(in reply to codem)
Post #: 3
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 1:03:31 AM   
codem

Thanks for the help. That was useful... though still unclear on somethings. I thought a level 10 HQ always supplied level 10 supply to near by units This does not appear to be the case. In the examples in those posts, an HQ had a supply of 6(10). So that would mean that the if a unit was in the sample location as the HQ (not possible) it would have a supply of 10, and then all the adjacent hexes would have level 9 supplies ?

In some of the images, the towns had a supply of 5.. but there was also a smaller number 0 that looks to appear next to the 5. What does the 0 mean ?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 1:54:42 AM   
Markiss

The small number refers to AA value. Resources can buy AA just like units, in fact, they can buy AA up to level 5, while units can only buy it up to level 2.
You must understand that supply for aircraft works differently than supply for ground units. An aircraft MUST be attached to an HQ to receive proper supply(well, almost always). I have noticed that if there is no HQ anywhere near an air unit, it will receive supply from a resource like a ground unit, but only if there is no HQ anywhere near. Maybe this is a bug, or maybe intended, perhaps sPzAbt653 could tell us.
Anyway, it always best to have an aircraft attached to an HQ, if the game thinks that you have not attached it to the best possible HQ, it will highlight the unit in purple.
But then again, what do I know, I can't read code.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to codem)
Post #: 5
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 2:43:03 AM   
Kornstalx

quote:

ORIGINAL: codem

I thought a level 10 HQ always supplied level 10 supply to near by units This does not appear to be the case.

Again, all of these answers are in the manual. At least open the PDF and search for things like "HQ" or "Supply" to find this information quickly while playing.

A level 10 HQ will only distribute at 10 supply around it if the HQ itself has a supply value (from terrain/location) of >=6. You can see this when hovering over the HQ unit itself (it will say something like 8/5, etc, in the stats). So, for example, if your level 10 HQ is in terrain that is providing only supply of 3 (such as am enemy town that is not connected to a friendly Secondary Supply/Capital/Industrial Center/Etc) the level 10 HQ will only provide 8 supply, starting with its own hex. If the HQ was in an area that provided ZERO supply, then it would only supply a 5 starting with its hex. If the HQ is not full strength, then there is a formula that determines what it supplies based on location. The formula is:

New Supply Distribution Value = Old Supply Distribution Supply Value * HQ Strength / 10

Also note that terrain affects the supply that radiates around the HQ, unless it has roads. And non-paved roads don't count on muddy hexes.

WiE manual, pages 83-84 covers everything I mentioned above (with tables). There's just too much to explain here, so many amazing variables in this game. Just keep the PDF manual open and search it while playing if you don't want to read cover-to-cover.

< Message edited by Kornstalx -- 1/13/2019 2:44:20 AM >

(in reply to codem)
Post #: 6
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 3:10:34 AM   
Markiss

You will find that, per BillRunacre's own posts, the manual has been deliberately left vague on many subjects. Experience is the best teacher.
Read-up, experiment against the AI to find what works best, then challenge Sugar and get your butt kicked. Then you will understand.
Or not, but at least you will be wiser. There are usually exceptions to the rule, if you look hard enough.

Lock up your wife and children now,
It's time to wield the blade..

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 7
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 7:36:36 AM   
sPzAbt653

Air Units and HQ's - New rules were added in later versions, so some folks are not familiar with these rules. This was to help reduce players massing many Air Units in one area.
Air Units will draw Supply from the HQ that they are attached to. If not attached to an HQ they will draw from the best available HQ OR Resource. This makes using the HQ Attachment feature almost a must, but that is ok as it adds a little more management for a better simulation.
Air Units that the computer determines COULD be in better Supply will have their hex shaded Red. Sometimes things will seem wrong, but stare at the screen for a moment and you will figure it out. If not, as always, post here and someone will help

(in reply to Markiss)
Post #: 8
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 12:31:28 PM   
Kornstalx

quote:

If not attached to an HQ they will draw from the best available HQ OR Resource.

I am 99.9% certain that an air unit will not draw supply from an HQ just by being near it. It has to be attached to it. Even if it's not (or can't for nationality reasons) attached to an HQ right next to it, it will ignore that HQ and get supply based on the nearest resource exclusively.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 3:56:00 PM   
sPzAbt653

Oh right, typing too fast

it should have read that if an Air Unit is not manually attached to an HQ they will draw from the best available HQ OR Resource.

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 10
RE: Supply Problems - 1/13/2019 4:26:37 PM   
Bonners

Some really great information in this thread thanks for asking the question and thanks all for answers. Re the manual, it is not always easy to find the relevant piece of information and like has been stated above, the information can be vague in places. Getting info from experienced players is always helpful to new players like me.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Supply Problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI