Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game date not visible in lower resolutions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Game date not visible in lower resolutions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/11/2019 10:07:09 PM   
the dragon

I recently tried to play SC3-WIE.I am a senior with eye problems & don't have a large monitor(its 20") & have never had any problems playing games at 1024x768.But the game date is not visible at that resolution or any other below 1280x1024.And I can barely see anything on the screen at that resolution. In SC2 (I have them all)the game date was above the mini-map at the bottom of the screen & was visible at all resolutions. Could you in the next patch move the game date to where it was in SC2 & move the buttons on either side. Or if you can't at least add the game date to Reports because it is not anywhere else viewable in the game. It is really a great series & I would really like to be able to play it.SC3-WAW probably has the same issue.

Thank you for your consideration in resolving this issue.

The Dragon
Post #: 1
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/12/2019 10:37:21 PM   
Kornstalx

The devs have stated that the lowest resolution possible is anything x768, because below that the UI elements will get truncated. 1024x768 is indeed the absolute minimum. As a test I fired up the game at 1024x768 and have no issues with the date.

More than likely what is happening is you have windows display scaling enabled. If your desktop scaling is set to anything other than 100%, the SC3 engine gets wonky at displaying certain elements (especially the tooltip in the lower left corner, it is incredibly inconsistent depending on the scaling/resolution ratios). As a test, turn off any scaling you have by setting it to 100%. Right click on desktop --> Display Settings. Then reboot and launch the game again on a 1024x768 desktop.

I took screenshots and tried to post images to walk you through this, but the stupid forum rules won't allow me to post them.

(in reply to the dragon)
Post #: 2
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/15/2019 6:48:18 AM   
the dragon

Kornstalx

Thanks for replying to my post. I have Windows7 Home Premium. Right clicking on my desktop did not have Display, it had NVidia controls & the scaling info had no %. I did find Windows Display & as far as I could tell they are all set at 100%.I ran a DXDiax & noticed 1 line had "DWM DPI Scaling:Disabled".Is that relavant & am I missing something.

So the issue still exists & seems strange because there is also no game date at 1152x864&1152x900 but there is for 1280x1024. Thanks for your help.

Also, your not being able to post your diagrams (which I think would help) might be because you don't have enough posts yet for that.

the dragon

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 3
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/15/2019 10:05:37 AM   
Kornstalx

quote:

DWM DPI

In your dxdiag what's it say just above that line?
(The two lines called User DPI Setting and System DPI Setting)

Edit: Even better, just open sc3.ini and post what you have for the following values. You can find this file in your documents folder (\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe\sc3.ini).
It's a text file just open it with notepad, and post the first set of values you have. For example:

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_WIDTH= 1600
#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_HEIGHT= 900
#WINDOW_WIDTH= 1600
#WINDOW_HEIGHT= 900
#BIT_DEPTH= 32
#FULL_SCREEN= 1

< Message edited by Kornstalx -- 1/15/2019 10:14:46 AM >

(in reply to the dragon)
Post #: 4
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/16/2019 5:01:28 AM   
the dragon

DXDiag lines

User DPI Setting:96DPI(100%)
System DPI Setting:96DPI(100%).

sc3.ini

#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_WIDTH= 1024
#ORIGINAL_SCREEN_HEIGHT= 768
#WINDOW_WIDTH= 1024
#WINDOW_HEIGHT=768
#BIT_DEPTH= 32
#FULL_SCREEN=1

Hope its helpful. Thanks.

the dragon

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 5
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/16/2019 7:31:54 PM   
Kornstalx

Okay, so it's not a scaling issue. You're at true 1024.

I have no clue now man, I'm sorry. Either driver related or something silly like the monitor overscan cutting the date off? (Surely not this though, as you'd notice other things missing around the edge.) Using the same sc3.ini settings as you and at true 1024 my date is present and everything looks fine.

Edit:

Look over in the SC:World at War Tech Support forum. That game uses the same engine as this one. There's a guy over there that is having the same problem (date missing) but he's playing at 1440, so it's not screen resolution related.

< Message edited by Kornstalx -- 1/16/2019 10:16:52 PM >

(in reply to the dragon)
Post #: 6
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/17/2019 2:03:09 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi Dragon,

Just looked into this now and at that resolution there is simply not enough space to fit everything on the screen for you. One workaround however is to disable the National Morale Bars and then the date should appear in game. OPTIONS->ADVANCED and then tick off the National Morale Bars option.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 7
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/20/2019 5:05:09 AM   
the dragon

Hi Hubert

Your work around worked & since the NM can be changed in game it is still always available. Now I can play the game & actually see what's on the screen. Thanks. I do have a question about it. You said it was a space issue but the game date is also not there at resolutions 1152x864 & 1152x900. The lowest resolution it shows up is 1280x1024.Do you know why that is? If its something on my computer do you have any ideas about what's causing it & how to fix it? Thanks again for your help.

Kornstalx

Thanks for all your time and effort in trying to resolve my issue. I greatly appreciate it.

the dragon

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 8
RE: Game date not visible in lower resolutions - 1/21/2019 4:04:33 PM   
Hubert Cater

It is just a matter of horizontal pixel space across the screen. With the date showing at those resolutions and with the national morale bars it will overlap and that is why it is not shown unless you disable the national morale bars.

Hope this helps,
Hubert

(in reply to the dragon)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Game date not visible in lower resolutions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI