Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

T25, The Calm before the Storm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> T25, The Calm before the Storm Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 3:26:13 PM   
xhoel

AGC

We have given up the high ground north of Ostashkov as part of shortening our lines. The 9th Panzer Division is heading to Rzhev to enter its winter quarters while the 17th Panzer Division is making Ostashkov their home. The elite L.A.H SS Motorized Division and elements of the XXXX Panzer Corps are also on the front lines.

Circled in black, Infantry divisions belonging to the VI Corps under General Walter Model.

One of the best formations the German Army has right now.

Walter Model has received the command of the units defending the Klin sector (VI Corps), where the Soviets are expected to make their strongest thrust. South of them, Lothar Rendulic has taken command of the VIII Corps, defending the Mozhaysk sector. Elements of the LVII Panzer Corps are defending the villages between the two sectors. Air assets have been earmarked to take part in the defensive operation. The Kaluga sector is being defended by elements of the 4th and 18th Army. The sector south of the Oka is predicted to remain quiet during the week because the loose ice on the river prohibits movement. A strong thrust is expected in the Ryazan sector too, where elements of the 4th Army are defending.

Units circled in black belong to the VIII Corps commanded by Generalleutnant Lothar Rendulic.

To the south our units have begun pulling back from their forward positions. We conduct 2 attacks on weak Soviet units and force them to retreat. We will not try to hold off the Soviets here, but will rather attempt to conduct a disciplined retreat to the secondary lines around Tula.

Pullback in the Orel sector. Attacks by our units are marked in black squares.

Effects of the blizzard on a unit that has not moved (notice the damaged elements and fatigue):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/16/2019 3:27:39 PM >

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 241
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 3:39:09 PM   
SparkleyTits

Yeah it'll hurt taking those punches in December but that's the theatre in winter that usually turns into lots of losses in bodies and ground until Febuary but with those reinforcements from AGN and panzers nearby I am sure you can stop it from becoming anything game ending

I like to attack a lot with my Finns as this is the strongest relatively they will ever be and it'll be the best time they can commit offensives
It either gives a nice buffer of land for the longterm defence of the Finns as the Soviets give it up or it draws away reinforcements if the Soviets decide to stop the Finns
I know some people don't like using up the Finns manpower so it is a preference thing but it's a pet peeve of mine having pools and pools of assets that never get used up

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 242
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 3:57:49 PM   
xhoel

AGS

The Soviets are showing a lot of spirit in the south. Their units pushed back the 25th Hungarian Infantry Brigade causing heavy losses to the unit. They are putting pressure on our forces in an area where we are weak because we have several understrength divisions. They need to reach rail heads ASAP in order to refill their TOEs. Another powerful attack took place in the Kharkov sector last week. The defending 168th ID managed to hold on to their positions and caused heavy casualties to the Soviets. In this sector we have straightened our lines and are awaiting for further attacks that will surely come next week.

The area around Rostov was relatively quiet and our troop have re-positioned themselves to prepare for further attacks that are coming from the north. The loose ice on the Don prevents a Soviet crossing at this time. 2 Soviet attacks fell on our positions this week. One of them managed to push back the 97th Light Infantry Division which conducted a fighting withdrawal albeit under heavy losses. The other one failed to dislodge the 31st ID, which assisted by the quick reacting 1st SS Motorized Brigade counterattacked and inflicted heavy losses on the Soviets. We were forced to abandon this position during this week however since it would be impossible to hold on to it.

Circled in black, the battle lost by the 97th Light ID.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/16/2019 3:58:52 PM >

(in reply to SparkleyTits)
Post #: 243
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 4:21:17 PM   
xhoel

Crimea

In the Crimea our troops have been ordered to dig in and make use of the milder weather down south to prepare the positions for withstanding a Soviet offensive come January. The supply situation remains critical.

Casualties
Ground

Notice the heavy truck losses.

Trucks:

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/16/2019 4:30:44 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 244
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 4:22:43 PM   
xhoel

Operational Map and OOB:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 245
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 4:29:34 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Yeah it'll hurt taking those punches in December but that's the theatre in winter that usually turns into lots of losses in bodies and ground until February but with those reinforcements from AGN and panzers nearby I am sure you can stop it from becoming anything game ending

I like to attack a lot with my Finns as this is the strongest relatively they will ever be and it'll be the best time they can commit offensives
It either gives a nice buffer of land for the longterm defence of the Finns as the Soviets give it up or it draws away reinforcements if the Soviets decide to stop the Finns
I know some people don't like using up the Finns manpower so it is a preference thing but it's a pet peeve of mine having pools and pools of assets that never get used up

I hope to delay them long enough and maybe cause enough losses so the offensive losses steam. Once the Salients of Klin and Tula are evacuated we will have more reserves free. There are around 24 divisions in the Tula salient alone, not counting the armored formations that are in their winter quarters in the city.

Will have to see how I use the Finns. If it's possible to divert Soviet resources to the area I will commit them, but somehow I doubt that Bitburger will commit resources to defend some forests that have no strategic importance whatsoever.

Post #: 246
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 11:18:40 PM   
JTP

I noticed a reference to "coverting the terrain for the infantry" by motorized divisions. What does this mean ?

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 247
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 11:37:18 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: JTP

I noticed a reference to "coverting the terrain for the infantry" by motorized divisions. What does this mean ?

What are you referring to JTP? I don't recall having said that.

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 248
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 11:42:52 PM   
Fanstar1

Seems like Soviets will have a hard time holding in 1942.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 249
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/16/2019 11:50:06 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fanstar1

Seems like Soviets will have a hard time holding in 1942.

We have around 13 turns of hellish weather before us so I'm focusing on not suffering any disasters for the time being. But if as Crackaces said, the Soviets enter 1942 in a weakened state, I will welcome that :D

(in reply to Fanstar1)
Post #: 250
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 12:14:40 AM   
JTP

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

quote:

Post #46 by EwaldVonKleist.

< Message edited by JTP -- 1/17/2019 12:16:10 AM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 251
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 1:16:09 AM   
xhoel

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah I see what you mean. Would be useful to use the quote function next time. What EvK is referring to is that it is better to launch motorized divisions further to clear empty enemy hexes because next turn they will turn friendly and all units pay less MP to move through friendly hexes as opposed to pending friendly hexes or enemy ones.

(in reply to JTP)
Post #: 252
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 2:18:43 AM   
JTP

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah I see what you mean. Would be useful to use the quote function next time. What EvK is referring to is that it is better to launch motorized divisions further to clear empty enemy hexes because next turn they will turn friendly and all units pay less MP to move through friendly hexes as opposed to pending friendly hexes or enemy ones.

Ok, thanks !

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 253
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 11:52:38 AM   
Balou

quote:

But if as Crackaces said, the Soviets enter 1942 in a weakened state,..

The figures presented in your AAR suggest that with a weekly replacement rate of roughly 120000 troops (as mentioned above) and 13 weeks to go the sov OOB would be 5,8 mio by march 1st '42 (not counting battle/attrition losses). Plus they have 8000+ tanks right now by mid january 42. Is that really what's called a weakened state ?

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 254
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 12:14:49 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

quote:

The figures presented in your AAR suggest that with a weekly replacement rate of roughly 120000 troops (as mentioned above) and 13 weeks to go the sov OOB would be 5,8 mio by march 1st '42 (not counting battle/attrition losses). Plus they have 8000+ tanks right now by mid january 42. Is that really what's called a weakened state ?

Your numbers are a bit off. The Soviets do get 120k fresh recruits every week but are also losing around 70k men each week. That means they gain 50k a week. So in 13 weeks that's around 650k. By March 42' they would have 5mio men in their OOB. Many of their divisions will also be spent after the winter offensive and will need to refill their TOEs which translates to them being pulled off the front thus making it more vulnerable. And replacements do lower the exp of divisions which is quite an important factor in combat. Anyways as I said in the post above, the Soviet Army looks anything but weak right now. The CVs of their frontline units are off the roof and they will cause a lot of damage in the winter weeks.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 255
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 1:03:36 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

Replacement rate goes down in Jan. The 8k tanks will also go down as further conversion from Armor divisions to tank brigades will take place. T

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 256
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 1:10:14 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your numbers are a bit off. The Soviets do get 120k fresh recruits every week but are also losing around 70k men each week. That means they gain 50k a week. So in 13 weeks that's around 650k. By March 42' they would have 5mio men in their OOB. Many of their divisions will also be spent after the winter offensive and will need to refill their TOEs which translates to them being pulled off the front thus making it more vulnerable. And replacements do lower the exp of divisions which is quite an important factor in combat. Anyways as I said in the post above, the Soviet Army looks anything but weak right now. The CVs of their frontline units are off the roof and they will cause a lot of damage in the winter weeks.

I believe you will be just fine as long as you are elastic in your defense where you need to be. The Russians had a few teeth removed for the blizzard with the of the extra movement points for attacking. This equates to less deliberate attacks, which in turn means less losses to the Germans.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 257
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/17/2019 1:19:06 PM   
Balou

Thanks for your answers. Never played the russian side, which one should obviously try to get a better understanding of your opponent.

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 258
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/19/2019 5:12:58 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since my name is being used here .. I want to clarify...

So clearly the Soviets can push the Germans around in the winter. The real problem I see (N=2), is when the next summer offense comes along.

Somebody can correct me, but it is my observation that a division requires about 5,000 to be ready, 7,000 to be effective, and 9,000 is full TO&E. Corps require even larger demands on manpower. So let's say minimum 5,000 men to put a division in a hex 2,000 for a brigade 5M means 1,000 hexes covered minimally. It goes to 714 using 7K. Of course, the Soviets build Corps size units and that reduces coverage by 3 hexes, and concentrates manpower per hex. Stacking 3 Corps to get an offensive advantage even tilts this further ..

With 8MP and an OOB around 5.5M on turn 55 there simply was not enough manpower in units to cover the front from North to South deep enough. A look at the AAR showed that with 5 deep the Germans were able to push deep during a snow turn. On turn 55 the Germans were about to envelop multiple Soviet units.

IN the 2x3 with about 4.3M the Soviets were definitely able to push the Germans back in panic and even surrounded some units in the blizzard. A single division will hold a hex in the winter, and the Soviets concentrated forces against our weakest points. But now on turn 35 and 20 turns for the summer the Soviets are looking at a real challenge to cover the front from North to South. The intensity of the winter offense has multiple turns that the manpower did not increase appreciably.

I understand that the Soviets take even more losses with the latest version? My analysis is simply saying there are X number of hexes to cover with Y manpower no matter the version. About 5 deep where the Germans might attack in the summer is about what it takes to slow the 42 offense. If this is 2 or 3 deep … the Soviets are in trouble.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 259
T26 - 1/19/2019 8:02:24 PM   
xhoel

T26, 11th of December-18th of December 1941
AGN

The Finnish forces have launched local attacks to break Soviet frontline defenses in an attempt to pull Soviet reserves to the sector. In the Vaidai sector our troops have been pushed back from the hills east of Lychkovo but managed to retake the position during the week.

AGC

Further to the south, Mansteins LVI Panzer Corps managed to hold back an initial Soviet assault but had to give ground after the Soviets launched a secondary attack. Heavy fighting occurred in the 9th Army sector, where our units where forced to give ground after heavy Soviet assaults. Astonishing defeats were recorded by the V Corps which failed to hold the enemy back in 3 occasions, even though they had the opportunity to do so. The 6th ID suffered heavy losses in the defense of Konakovo. For his failures in holding the ground, General Richard Rouff was sacked earlier this week and Generalleutnant Wilhelm Stemmerman took command of the V Corps. The defeats of these week forced us to give ground and reposition our forces.

Battles in the 9th Army sector, holding battles marked in black, the battle of Konakovo marked in red.

The only victory in the 9th Army sector was recorded by the 183rd ID which managed to hold back two Soviet assaults north of Volokolamsk. In front of Moscow the front remains quiet.

Battles north of Volokolamsk:

The sector east and southeast of Tula also saw heavy fighting during the week. The Soviets launched 10 successful attacks and have advanced forward. Several armored formations are in the region, which is concerning to say the least. Our troops have given ground and are moving west, pulling back to our secondary defensive positions around Tula. Mos divisions are understrength (50-65% TOE). The Soviet pressure here is very strong.

German positions at the start of the week:

Positions after German moves:

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 260
RE: T26 - 1/19/2019 11:26:45 PM   
xhoel

AGS

In the sector of Belgorod the Soviets hit us hard were we are weakest. They pushed back the hastily put up Kampfgruppe made of our Italian and Hungarian allies and they also pushed back the depleted 113th ID (38% TOE) causing the division heavy losses. We give ground and are awaiting for reinforcements to arrive. 4 Infantry Divisions deployed in the sector are understrength and need to pull back for R&R. Further to the south our units held back two Soviet attacks.

Circled in black are our understrength formations.

In the sector of Voroshilovgrad the enemy pushed us back and managed to put two Cavalry divisions forward. We counterattacked and pushed the Soviets back. Reinforcements are on their way to this sector too. In the Stalino area, we were pushed back only in one place. Our units quickly close the gap that is created. The thin ice on the Don prohibits Soviet attacks and movement across the river for this week as well. The river is expected to freeze next week.

Counterattacks:

Crimea

In the Crimea our units continue to dig fortifications, preparing for a Soviet assault. Rail repair is going slowly, but it's progressing.

Casualties

Heavy casualties as the Soviet offensive has begun. The Soviets have suffered around 30.000 men KIA, the Axis around 5.500. Frostbite and the terrible conditions are also taking quite a toll on the men, guns and machines. 4.311 trucks lost only last week.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/19/2019 11:27:09 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 261
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/20/2019 1:00:52 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

quote:

Since my name is being used here .. I want to clarify...

So clearly the Soviets can push the Germans around in the winter. The real problem I see (N=2), is when the next summer offense comes along.

Somebody can correct me, but it is my observation that a division requires about 5,000 to be ready, 7,000 to be effective, and 9,000 is full TO&E. Corps require even larger demands on manpower. So let's say minimum 5,000 men to put a division in a hex 2,000 for a brigade 5M means 1,000 hexes covered minimally. It goes to 714 using 7K. Of course, the Soviets build Corps size units and that reduces coverage by 3 hexes, and concentrates manpower per hex. Stacking 3 Corps to get an offensive advantage even tilts this further ..

With 8MP and an OOB around 5.5M on turn 55 there simply was not enough manpower in units to cover the front from North to South deep enough. A look at the AAR showed that with 5 deep the Germans were able to push deep during a snow turn. On turn 55 the Germans were about to envelop multiple Soviet units.

IN the 2x3 with about 4.3M the Soviets were definitely able to push the Germans back in panic and even surrounded some units in the blizzard. A single division will hold a hex in the winter, and the Soviets concentrated forces against our weakest points. But now on turn 35 and 20 turns for the summer the Soviets are looking at a real challenge to cover the front from North to South. The intensity of the winter offense has multiple turns that the manpower did not increase appreciably.

I understand that the Soviets take even more losses with the latest version? My analysis is simply saying there are X number of hexes to cover with Y manpower no matter the version. About 5 deep where the Germans might attack in the summer is about what it takes to slow the 42 offense. If this is 2 or 3 deep … the Soviets are in trouble.

It is nice to have the insight and calculations that you provided. Right now I'm concerned with keeping a solid front and avoiding unneccessary losses. Will have to see how the Soviet OOB and Army develops during the winter.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 262
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/20/2019 2:22:57 PM   
bigbaba1111

wow, just wow. what a intense game. great beginning and than the soviets skillfully used the holes in your line to run havoc with their cavalery. hope you can hold off the red hordes until the end of blizzard. but your fort levels seem pretty low for a static defense.

good luck.:)

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 263
RE: T25, The Calm before the Storm - 1/20/2019 3:37:35 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba1111

wow, just wow. what a intense game. great beginning and than the soviets skillfully used the holes in your line to run havoc with their cavalery. hope you can hold off the red hordes until the end of blizzard. but your fort levels seem pretty low for a static defense.

good luck.:)

Thanks for the encouraging words! It is indeed a very intense game and we are both enjoying it a lot. We are not planning on a static defense, just hoping to delay/bleed the Soviets dry, while minimizing Axis casualties.

(in reply to bigbaba1111)
Post #: 264
T27 - 1/26/2019 4:10:19 PM   
xhoel

T27, 18th of December-25th of December 1941
AGN

The Finnish forces continue attacks to unhinge Soviet defenses in the north. 4 attacks were conducted this week with good results. The Soviet forces were pushed back with heavy losses and our Allies even managed to rout a Soviet division.
The L Corps (2 divisions) deployed is being pulled back and will be redeployed in the sector of AGC next week since the Vaidai sector where it has been during this time is relatively quiet at the moment.

AGC

In the Rzhev sector, the Soviets are pushing hard. 4 succesful attacks were launched this week by the enemy. Their numerical superiority in both men and guns is freightening. We are forced to give ground slowly and are running out of good defensive terrain.

Soviet attacks:

Second battle from the left:

After German moves:

40 miles west of Moscow the Soviets launch two attacks against the Spanish ''Blue'' Infantry division. The Soviet attacks fail to dislodge the defenders who fight tenaciusly. The heavy fighting has destroyed most of the fortifications and the G.D Mot Regiment is rushed to assist the ''Blues'' in holding the line. The Soviets have crossed the frozen Oka during the week in three points and have pushed back German defenders from 2 fortified positions. In one of the battles, our forces take heavy losses. 10 miles to the south, our forces hold a Soviet probing attack.

Circled in black, holding battles by the German forces.

Battle marked ''Heavy Losses'' in the pic above:

Positions after Axis moves:

German pullback south of Tula. Counterattacks marked with a diamond shape.

The sector of the 2nd Army has taken the brunt of the fighting for this week however. The Soviets have pushed our defenders back in several points and are putting serious pressure in the area. Intelligence reports that the Soviets have deployed a lot of mechanized formations in the area and recon flights have finally discovered where Soviet cavalry is deployed. 10 formations are present in the sector, one of which has been identified as the 3rd Cavalry Corps. This is in addition to the 1st Shock Army formations deployed here (among which are some strong Mountain divisions). To worsen things, we have intercepted Soviet communications that indicate that the dreaded Zhukov is in command of the Volkhov Front and that a strong offensive here is imminent. To counter the threat we have given ground where we could after conducting small local counterattacks on Soviet Armored Brigades. The Totenkopf Motorized Division has been deployed in forward positions to prevent a Soviet breakthrough. Other reinforcements will be arriving soon (2 Infantry Divisions from AGN, 1 Panzer, 1 Motorized and 1 Light Infantry Division from AGS). We are only hoping that we can prevent a disaster for the time being.

2nd Army sector showing Soviet attacks and Cavalry concentration:

Positions after German moves:

German counterattacks marked in diamond shapes. We managed to rout 2 Tank Brigades here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/26/2019 4:13:04 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 265
RE: T27 - 1/27/2019 1:35:59 AM   
SparkleyTits

Great stuff man
I always find players that show keen aggresion and all in plays scary and hard to gauge properly but you seem to have this well in hand for a very nominal winter!

Glad my shouting of fear is looking like absolutely nothing
Good use of the Finns too!

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 266
RE: T27 - 1/27/2019 6:37:54 AM   
bigbaba1111

quote:

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

Great stuff man
I always find players that show keen aggresion and all in plays scary and hard to gauge properly but you seem to have this well in hand for a very nominal winter!

Glad my shouting of fear is looking like absolutely nothing
Good use of the Finns too!

indeed. playing against stef78 atm (he plays the red army part). i was quite shocked after opening his first turn. he attacked my units where he could. of course in 99% of the cases his red hordes got mauled badly but if thats how the game will continue i feel quite scared about that.:)

Post #: 267
RE: T27 - 1/27/2019 8:42:57 AM   
SparkleyTits

Oooooh I would really love to see that game!
Do you have a delayed AAR in the making we can all enjoy soon or in lew of that any super special secret info pics you want to send me?

(in reply to bigbaba1111)
Post #: 268
RE: T27 - 1/27/2019 3:43:19 PM   
xhoel

AGS

The Soviets continue their attacks in the south. They have hit our weakened Infantry divisions once more and forced them to retreat, taking heavy losses in the process. The Rumanian divisions deployed in the sector have also taken a beating. In 2 battles they have lost a combined 1.000 men and have been weakened substantially. We have counterattacked and pushed back a Soviet tank brigade. Fresh forces are arriving in the sector.

4th battle from up:

The Soviets have made gains further to the south as well. They have pushed back our forces in several positions and pushed forward Tank Brigades or Cavalry divisions. We have counterattacked where possible. A Soviet attack against the exposed 5th Rumanian Infantry division managed to rout the Rumanians and caused heavy losses. The 34th Rumanian Artillery Battalion was overrun and destroyed in the process. The Rumanian forces have pulled off a stunning hold however as they held on to the town of Lutugino against a heavy Soviet attack. Both sides took heavy losses in the battle. 2 Rumanian Infantry divisions were decimated in the fighting and are unready for combat. They have been pulled back.

Battle of Lutugino:

Positions after Axis moves:

In the Rostov sector we have pulled back the 4th Mountain and Das Reich Mot SS Division. They will be transferred to AGC to stop the Soviet offensive there. The 14th Panzer Division will also be transferred to that sector. The Don is now completely frozen so we expect Soviet attacks all along the front next week.

Crimea

Rail repair continues slowly in the Crimea. Our units continue building fortifications, preparing for the Soviet offensive to begin once January arrives. The 7th Flieger Division is being pulled back next week. We expect the port of Yevpatoriya to become operational in two weeks. This should help improve the supply situation in the Crimea considerably.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 269
RE: T27 - 1/27/2019 4:09:47 PM   
xhoel

Casualties

A lot of casualties were taken this week, many of whom where Rumanian forces. Axis KIAs amount to 7.600 men and Soviet ones at 29.800. We lost a total of 4.115 trucks during the week. In the air the LW continues to contend the skies above the battlefield and our air groups are doing their best to assist defensive operations.

A troubling development: The Rumanian Army

One of the biggest problems we have right now is the terrible condition of the Rumanian Army. The heavy fighting and the harsh winter have taken quite a toll on our Rumanian allies. At the moment, 6 Rum. Infantry Divisions are combat unready and need to be put on R&R.

To make things worse, the Rumanian industry cannot keep up with the demands of the frontline units. Right now the Rumanian Armament pool is 0. They produce 2.500 Armament points a week and can receive 1.000 Arm points a week from Germany, for a total of 3.500. This is still not enough. The main culprit of such shortages is the Rumanian OB. A Rumanian Rifle Squad consist of 17 men and is almost twice the size of their German conuterpart (10). This means that a Rumanian infantry division has 2.000 riflemen more than a German one. The OKH has suggested that the Rumanian Armed forces should adopt a new TOE and a new rifle squad formation for months now and finally the Rumanians have agreed to do so, mostly out of necessity. The new TOE and Rifle Squad organisation will come in effect on the 1st of January. The reorganization should help alleviate the shortages that we are seeing right now.

Rumanian Industry:

Rumanian Rifle Squad formation:

The new Rum. Infantry Division TOE (comes in effect on January 1942):

We are 11k trucks short at the moment:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by xhoel -- 1/27/2019 4:13:14 PM >

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> T25, The Calm before the Storm Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI