Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bacon Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/3/2018 11:44:47 AM   
Ranged

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranged

I'm having an issue with fighters. I use baconmod+retreatUE.

I changed the settings to
fighterBayLabel=assault
bomberBayLabel=assault
mixedBayLabel=assault

Since I like my designs automated, and with these settings I don't have to change my millitary designs every time to mix up fighter and bomber bays. But now unfortunately none of my ships or bases automatically build fighters. I have to click build on every fighter and every bomber per ships, which can get to 50 clicks per ship (ridiculous). And when they are destroyed in combat I have to do it again!

I never thought someone would use the same label for all three settings. I have no idea what that would do off the top of my head.
Pick one you want and change the labels for the other two to something that doesn't exist. If I recall correctly, its just looking for a match and if it doesn't find anything for two of them it should be OK.

I really can't get that to work.

fighterBayLabel=assault
bomberBayLabel=
mixedBayLabel=

-My carriers only create bombers

fighterBayLabel=
bomberBayLabel=
mixedBayLabel=fighter

-My carriers only create fighters

fighterBayLabel=assault
bomberBayLabel=assault
mixedBayLabel=assault

-What I mentioned before

What should I do to just let them have a healthy mix of fighters and bombers? I really like the retreat UE mod but I don't like having to change my designs again to replace half the fighter bays with bombers bays *every time* I auto-retrofit the designs.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 811
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/3/2018 3:17:39 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

quote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about since I don't think I've ever set posture circles. Chance "ShowRangeCircles" to false. Setting it to true keeps things that normally are not drawn at extreme zoom-in.

Hi Roger, thanks for your answer.
I tried to add "ShowRangeCircles=false" in the configuration file (it wasn't present so I added it) but that doesn't solve the graphical issue.

See a screenshot of said Posture circles attached.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 812
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/3/2018 3:21:07 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

Now a zoom-in.
Note how everything is "washed blue" in the zoomed version.
This doesn't occur in the vanilla game since the posture circles are hidden at high zoom levels.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to OzoneGrif_slith)
Post #: 813
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/3/2018 10:54:41 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: OzoneGrif_slith

Hi Roger, thanks for your answer.
I tried to add "ShowRangeCircles=false" in the configuration file (it wasn't present so I added it) but that doesn't solve the graphical issue.

OK, I was working from memory and that entry really doesn't exist. lol.
Instead, try this:
Type !rangecircles into the ship finder (the text box where all the commands go). That will toggle the range circles off and should revert to not drawing stuff below a certain zoom level like before.

BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08

Post #: 814
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/4/2018 3:35:48 PM   
OzoneGrif_slith

quote:

Type !rangecircles into the ship finder (the text box where all the commands go). That will toggle the range circles off and should revert to not drawing stuff below a certain zoom level like before.

Amazing, that works and makes zooming much more comfortable!

It would be amazing to have this in the configuration file (unless you manage to fix the root issue itself of course).

Thanks again :)

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 815
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/14/2018 1:09:48 AM   
AKicebear

I'm getting an error with the mod, loading a existing save. I've been able to load it before, am still able to start new games or load other saves - any ideas?

https://imgur.com/kMXSsxL

I can post a copy of the save later, if useful. For now I've reverted back 20 minutes to the last autosave, but concerned this could happen again or with more than just the core save. Thanks!

Post #: 816
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/14/2018 11:03:54 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: AKicebear

I'm getting an error with the mod, loading a existing save. I've been able to load it before, am still able to start new games or load other saves - any ideas?

https://imgur.com/kMXSsxL

I can post a copy of the save later, if useful. For now I've reverted back 20 minutes to the last autosave, but concerned this could happen again or with more than just the core save. Thanks!

Thanks for the screenshot. In the last patch to the Bacon mod I added the ability for point defense to intercept missiles. Maybe some part of that is not being saved in the save gaem file and so it is causing an argument out of range exception. I don't have time to look at it thesedays but I'll try and narrow it down.
For now I would suggest not saving when there is a battle taking place, at least one that is happening on screen. That should help.

(in reply to AKicebear)
Post #: 817
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/23/2018 4:58:06 PM   
Beyondfubar

Hey RogerBacon, what is the chance that completed ship components could be traded? Like hab modules or fighter bays?

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 818
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/26/2018 7:43:49 PM   
RogerRogertheDodger

Thank you Roger for your great mod additions to the base game as I am just starting to play DW:U. I am loving it.
I am an old Master of Orion 2 fanatic and this game is a great update to a very similar playstyle as MoO2. I only wish I had found it sooner.

Regards,

RogerRogertheDodger

(in reply to Beyondfubar)
Post #: 819
RE: Bacon Mod - 12/31/2018 1:04:51 AM   
RogerBacon

Version 1.76 Released

Fixed bugs with loading a saved file where missiles are targeted for interception.
Fixed passenger ships continuing to send population to colonies that are full.

Added

!overtime x Adds X years to the start time when victory conditions are checked.

!yourock This will add an asteroid in orbit around the currently selected colony (selected on the map, not in a colony list). The cost is set in the following BaconSettings entry:
orbitalAsteroidCost=10000

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 12/31/2018 1:06:26 AM >

(in reply to RogerRogertheDodger)
Post #: 820
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2019 7:17:44 AM   
Arturo28

Hi Roger,

Thank you for for this unvaluable mod..so nice.

I am trying to install it in a laptop, with windows 10 Home Edition.
Original exe file works fine, but when trying to run yours, nothing happens.
I don't know if it crash or if it is unable to show your firstwindows showing mod and version and get stalled there..really don't know. I have tryed to find some log file or whatever,..nothing.
Perhaps some library missing only needed for your exe file?..

If you can help it would be very appreciated.
Happy new year!
Arturo

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 821
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/1/2019 3:26:11 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arturo28

Hi Roger,

I don't know if it crash or if it is unable to show your firstwindows showing mod and version and get stalled there..really don't know. I have tryed to find some log file or whatever,..nothing.

Happy new year!
Arturo

Hi Arturo,

Open the task manager and see if the DistantWorlds.exe process is running. If it shows up there and is very small then it sounds like a problem some other people had. You can search this thread for a solution. They did get it working.
I have neither Windows 10 nor a laptop so I'm not much help in diagnosing your problem. I would suggest downloading the latest version of the dot net framework since there is a chance that some of my code uses a newer version. However if you have other games installed on the laptop then this probably isn't the cause as you probably already have a newer version of dot net on your laptop.
If (when) you find a solution be sure to post it here to help others.

< Message edited by RogerBacon -- 1/3/2019 10:25:41 PM >

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 822
RE: "Hyping" my forthcoming mod (pun intended) - 1/2/2019 5:05:00 AM   
OldLost

One thing that's always bothered me in the Expansion Planner, the dropdown always reverts to "Potential Colonies" when opened. It would be so nice if it remembered the user's selection and use that each time it was opened. Don't know if something like that would be possible, but just a suggestion... :)

< Message edited by OldLost -- 1/2/2019 8:12:53 PM >

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 823
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/3/2019 7:53:55 PM   
Arturo28

quote:

quote:

Hi Roger,

Happy new year!
Arturo

Hi Arturo,

Open the task manager and see if the DistantWorlds.exe process is running. If it shows up there and is very small then it sounds like a problem some other people had. You can search this thread for a solution. They did get it working.
I have neither Windows 10 nor a laptop so I'm not much help in diagnosing your problem. I would suggest downloading the latest version of the dot net framework since there is a chance that some of my code uses a newer version. However if you have other games installed on the laptop then this probably isn't the cause as you probably already have a newer version of dot net on your laptop.
If (when) you find a solution be sure to post it here to help others.

I have found the solution

my laptop is a LENOVO YOGA 3 with touchscreen. Testing desactivating windows 10 services it has work disabling the service "touchpad keyboard".

So, let's play Distant Worlds...

< Message edited by Arturo28 -- 1/3/2019 7:55:21 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 824
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/3/2019 10:26:14 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

I have found the solution

my laptop is a LENOVO YOGA 3 with touchscreen. Testing desactivating windows 10 services it has work disabling the service "touchpad keyboard".

So, let's play Distant Worlds...

That's great to hear! I hope you enjoy the mod.

(in reply to Arturo28)
Post #: 825
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/6/2019 6:45:36 PM   
scotten_usa

Thank you Roger Bacon for this awesome mod! I put 1000's of hours into the DW series and this gives me a chance to play it again with these fun changes.

2 issues/questions:

1. I *love* the gravity wells, but find that it causes my fleets to arrive 'piecemeal' when I order an attack on an enemy base. My faster destroyers are able to escape the gravity well before my slower cruisers. Is there any way to avoid this (besides setting a primary waypoint outside the well and then a secondary waypoint at the enemy location)?

2. I am playing Bacon + DasChrome = RetreatUE. I find my military ships will retreat at ANY amount of armor damage - in spite of the settings I pick. I've tried Flee When: "Shields 20%" and "Armor 50% or Shields 20%" and my ship retreats when it receives 1 damage to armor. My only workaround is to change Flee When to "Never".
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks again for everything.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 826
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/6/2019 9:46:02 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: scotten_usa

Thank you Roger Bacon for this awesome mod! I put 1000's of hours into the DW series and this gives me a chance to play it again with these fun changes.

2 issues/questions:

1. I *love* the gravity wells, but find that it causes my fleets to arrive 'piecemeal' when I order an attack on an enemy base. My faster destroyers are able to escape the gravity well before my slower cruisers. Is there any way to avoid this (besides setting a primary waypoint outside the well and then a secondary waypoint at the enemy location)?

2. I am playing Bacon + DasChrome = RetreatUE. I find my military ships will retreat at ANY amount of armor damage - in spite of the settings I pick. I've tried Flee When: "Shields 20%" and "Armor 50% or Shields 20%" and my ship retreats when it receives 1 damage to armor. My only workaround is to change Flee When to "Never".
Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks again for everything.

Hi.

1 Nope. You will have to micromanage it or build your ships with about the same sublight speed.

2 I didn't make any changes in this area so I don't know what to say. Are you seeing behavior that is different from unmodded games?

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 827
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/7/2019 3:33:08 PM   
RogerRogertheDodger

Roger,

I have a question about the command !stockpile # which adds strategic resources to all empires when used. Does this add resources for pirates when playing a pirate campaign? Would it add to your pirate resource supplies once you gain a true colony?

Regards,
RogerRogertheDodger

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 828
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/7/2019 10:15:34 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerRogertheDodger

Roger,

I have a question about the command !stockpile # which adds strategic resources to all empires when used. Does this add resources for pirates when playing a pirate campaign? Would it add to your pirate resource supplies once you gain a true colony?

Regards,
RogerRogertheDodger

Hi.

It only adds to empires, not pirate empires. That was an oversight on my part. Poor pirates always get the short end of the stick.
I just added another command !stockpilebooty X that will give X resources to each pirate home base. It will be in a future release.

Post #: 829
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/8/2019 3:21:52 AM   
scotten_usa

quote:

Hi.

1 Nope. You will have to micromanage it or build your ships with about the same sublight speed.

2 I didn't make any changes in this area so I don't know what to say. Are you seeing behavior that is different from unmodded games?

1. Thanks. I'll adapt my playing and strategies.
2. Well, I'm not sure. I just reinstalled DW after a few-year hiatus and jumped right back into Bacon-modded DW. I'll root around and see if I have any old save games, or (I guess) start a vanilla game and see what happens.

Thanks again.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 830
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/8/2019 4:20:21 PM   
RogerRogertheDodger

Thank you Roger for the future 'booty' allotment increase. :)

In regards to the existing and future commands for the Stockpile function, you have stated that it adds the 'Strategic Resources'. Does this translate to mean all non-Luxury resources as listed in the Resource.txt file for the chosen theme/mod? Is this something that we can designate/change in the Resource file or is that part of the EXE file programming?

I know that previously in a post, it was mentioned that the current combination mod combo "RetreatUE+Das Blue+Bacon Mod" changes some of the resources to be Fuel category and that fuels were not always added since RetreatUE changed some of the Fuel types from the base game.

Regards,
RogerRogertheDodger
Poor Pirate of Deep Space

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 831
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/14/2019 11:38:49 PM   
Timsup2nothin

I am a new player, and of course I never read any manuals. I must admit that it took me a while to figure out what the heck was going on, but eventually I felt sorted out enough to start "the real game." I put a solid number of hours in getting my home system developed and pushing research to get my guys up to the faster than light threshold. And realized that the implementation, from a gameplay standpoint, was awful. Battles were a series of jumps around the system with no flow in the action. Frankly, without your mod I'd have shelved this game.

But, I did find your mod, and saw that you had a solution to the problem. A solution that I initially hated, but at least you had a solution...the developers apparently didn't know they had a problem. What I hated about it was that it makes early game development outside your home system really hard, unless I'm missing something. I can't count how many constructor ships I've dumped down neighboring gravity wells without enough fuel to get back out. Tried to make 'em smaller to reduce the well, tried giving them more fuel, less engines, more engines.

Now, I have arrived. Development in nearby systems is what mining ships are for. Constructors are a dead play until there is enough tech to go along with a warp or hyperdrive, and that's just something that would be galactic despots have to deal with. I'm satisfied. Thank you very much for your work.

But I do have one thing that seems backwards...small, and wouldn't be worth pointing out if I wasn't posting anyway. Through all my experimental starts I never bothered with state owned freighters, despite becoming very familiar with their purpose. Not using them upgrading a base seems doomed to being an endless parade of halted production notices.

I'm finally through experimenting and playing 'the game,' so when I went to retrofit a base for the first time I immediately built myself a state freighter and read the directions. By the time I got the 'halted, no steel, no krypton' message the freighter was rolling off the ways at the spaceport and I was ready to go. Alt-1 source, conveniently I have hoards of stuff at the spaceport ready to go. Alt-2 destination, my crippled defense platform at the big gasbag that will be providing fuel for my fledgling empire.

Alt-3 and...

The freighter loads a mixed cargo of the twelve most abundant resources at the spaceport. I had anticipated that I would be a bit dismayed by all the extraneous stuff being loaded, but I had anticipated it so wasn't too dismayed...until I realized that while my enormous stock of steel had been tapped my modest hoard of krypton had failed to make the cut.

My bad for having not yet tapped a source of krypton and relying on gas miners to bring it in. I have plenty, but apparently not enough to qualify as abundant.

And I think that this would really be a better solution if the freighter made its loading decision by considering what is needed at the destination rather than what is abundant at the source. Am I missing something?

Post #: 832
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/15/2019 2:10:45 AM   
RogerBacon

Hi Timsup2nothin,

I'm glad you are enjoying the mod. Your idea about loading based on destination needs instead of source supply is worth thinking about.

In the meantime, you have two solutions to your supply shortage.
1 Find a source that has an abundance of the resource you need and send a freighter from there.
2 Create a free trader and buy the resource you need and then sell it to the destination that needs it. I made free traders for a little bit of role-playing as an independent trader but they can also be used to fill supply shortages like you mention. You'll want to read the read me on them though as they are a little more involved than 1,2,3. :)

(in reply to Timsup2nothin)
Post #: 833
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/15/2019 5:18:43 AM   
Timsup2nothin

I did think about that. Problem being that at that very early point I hadn't built a mining station on the only source of krypton in my system. I was letting the mining ships handle it and exploiting the inner system in anticipation of the great Kaltor extravaganza when I finally popped a warp ship. As it happened they did in fact appear at the one planet with krypton that I had to work with. It worked out that by the time my state freighter got there with the steel and other stuff the locals had already delivered steel and krypton and the refit was completed anyway. Probably Murphy's Law, but I'm telling myself that having a state run supply ship bearing down on them lit a fire under the local merchant fleet.

Next question...construction ships and colony ships that are built at the planet instead of the port. How does the smaller gravity well for smaller ships work for them? For a regular ship the factor is size of ship over maximum allowed size of ship, but ships built at the planet have a larger maximum allowed size. So are they using their maximum allowed size in the denominator, or are they using maximum size for a basic military ship and actually enlarging the gravity well effect? I've got upgraded tech for engines, reactors, and storage. I have the ship as stripped down as I can see how to make it and it's only about half the size that it actually could be, but the gravity well is extending a full diameter of the system beyond my outermost orbit. It would take a very, very long time for this thing to jump anywhere.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 834
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/15/2019 10:28:50 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timsup2nothin

I did think about that. Problem being that at that very early point I hadn't built a mining station on the only source of krypton in my system. I was letting the mining ships handle it and exploiting the inner system in anticipation of the great Kaltor extravaganza when I finally popped a warp ship. As it happened they did in fact appear at the one planet with krypton that I had to work with. It worked out that by the time my state freighter got there with the steel and other stuff the locals had already delivered steel and krypton and the refit was completed anyway. Probably Murphy's Law, but I'm telling myself that having a state run supply ship bearing down on them lit a fire under the local merchant fleet.

Next question...construction ships and colony ships that are built at the planet instead of the port. How does the smaller gravity well for smaller ships work for them? For a regular ship the factor is size of ship over maximum allowed size of ship, but ships built at the planet have a larger maximum allowed size. So are they using their maximum allowed size in the denominator, or are they using maximum size for a basic military ship and actually enlarging the gravity well effect? I've got upgraded tech for engines, reactors, and storage. I have the ship as stripped down as I can see how to make it and it's only about half the size that it actually could be, but the gravity well is extending a full diameter of the system beyond my outermost orbit. It would take a very, very long time for this thing to jump anywhere.

Ships that can be built beyond 100% max size, such as carriers, do indeed have farther to go before escaping their gravity well. If you think the gravity wells are too big you can use the new field I created on Hyperjump engines to mitigate the effects. In my game I set the warp bubble to 66% effect so the gravity well isn't too bad in the early game. Then it produces a design decision of whether to upgrade to the faster hyperjump and loose the smaller gravity well effect or stick with the warp bubble longer.

Post #: 835
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/15/2019 10:36:18 PM   
Timsup2nothin

If that hadn't gone completely over my head I would do that, for sure.

Research required...

General direction...guessing...use editor to change a component, maybe (edit: strike that)...else root around in the BaconWorld folder for updated component definitions (edit: definitely found a data table document for components and hyperdrive components have seven specific value slots, four of which are unused...but they are all at the default zero values, so if your code is accessing one of them it must be using zero for 'full effect')...

< Message edited by Timsup2nothin -- 1/15/2019 11:08:14 PM >

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 836
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/16/2019 2:32:29 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

If that hadn't gone completely over my head I would do that, for sure.

Research required...

General direction...guessing...use editor to change a component, maybe (edit: strike that)...else root around in the BaconWorld folder for updated component definitions (edit: definitely found a data table document for components and hyperdrive components have seven specific value slots, four of which are unused...but they are all at the default zero values, so if your code is accessing one of them it must be using zero for 'full effect')...

Here is my warp bubble
125, Movement - Warp Bubble Generator, 125, 0, ,23, 10, 0,1250, 65, 50, 2, 3, 0, 0,17, 4, 4, 7, 10, 5,

Note the 2,3 toward the middle. That's a 2 numerator and a 3 denominator. so the effect is to multiply the gravity well by two thirds.
These are values 4 and 5 of the 4-7 that are unused. I was looking for this in the Readme but maybe I didn't document it. It's mentioned in this thread somewhere though.

Post #: 837
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/16/2019 3:04:33 AM   
Timsup2nothin

Excellent! Thanks. I have actually read most of the thread, but looking back through for details is a hit or miss prospect, and a lot of the details in that first pass were outside my comprehension. I considered just dumping numbers into those unused registers and trying to figure it out, but it seemed wiser to wait.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 838
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/16/2019 10:30:22 PM   
RogerBacon

quote:

Excellent! Thanks. I have actually read most of the thread, but looking back through for details is a hit or miss prospect, and a lot of the details in that first pass were outside my comprehension. I considered just dumping numbers into those unused registers and trying to figure it out, but it seemed wiser to wait.

I found the post where I introduced the new gravity well mitigation effect. It is post 600 in this thread. That would be the last post on page 20 with default page settings.

Post #: 839
RE: Bacon Mod - 1/17/2019 6:09:33 PM   
Timsup2nothin

quote:

quote:

I found the post where I introduced the new gravity well mitigation effect. It is post 600 in this thread. That would be the last post on page 20 with default page settings.

Ugh. When I saw that I remembered poring over that screenshot trying to figure out what the other guy saw. At the time the point just didn't really sink in.

You provide excellent support. Among the best I've seen among more modders on more games than I could count. Thank you.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Bacon Mod Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI