Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hailstone Break

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Hailstone Break Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hailstone Break - 12/18/2018 9:04:33 PM   
Hailstone

Thanks Rico! I am anxious to check it out. I'm dealing with two problems right now, finding new ASL material and securing my accounts. An SOB in Indonesia

has hacked a number of my accounts so I've been busy with that as my top priority. On the bright side, my doc says they got all my cancer. Big Ivan knows
how that is music to my ears. I'll be back and thanks.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 781
RE: Hailstone Break - 12/18/2018 11:00:04 PM   
Big Ivan

That is excellent news about the cancer Hailstone. Best of luck and a full recovery!

Best of luck with the SOB issue too! Hope there wasn't to much damage.

John

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 782
Apples To Apples - 12/24/2018 4:36:31 PM   
rico21

Apples To Apples.

St. Sever-Calvados, France 1944-08-04.
Looking at the scenario card, this one has appeal. A lot of toys for the US and fancy Panthers complete with Armor leaders for
each for the Germans. Viewing the playing area, interesting again. A rather open area on bd 44, restricting bocage terrain
providing good cover on 54. The open ground in on bd 44 seems to invite the US for a mad rush, swamping the Germans in the
process. But you have to get past the setup area of those freaking Panthers that will wreak havoc on such a ploy. For that
reason I chose bd 54 to move through as it seemed a lot safer. Well, it was BUT even with Culin Devices to create breaches for
the ht's, the going was very slow and the German could always fall back in time. To make things worse, the Panthers could just
dominate those roads by just sitting there way back and out of range of any meaningful thread. Basically, I let myself get
bogged on board 54 for the first five turns with only slow progress and unable to cause any serious losses for the German. I
was confident that I would be able to wrest the bd 54 victory building from the German and would be able to eventually force
open the easternmost road. However, I would not be able to exit enough stuff along it. So in turn 6 I eventually did what I
should have done before: Put away with the Angst and charge the bd 44 Victory Building and trying to run past with some ht's at
the same time. Moving aggressively, I did lose 2 tanks but I caught one of his Panthers on the left foot and was able to take
him out with a rear shot in the AFPh. At the same time, I was able to break one of the 2 658s firmly lodged in the 44S8
building and eliminating it for Failure to Rout. With one 666+BAZ+8-1 in 44R7, a ht with 666+HMG in 44T7 and a CE Sherman in
44T6, suddenly it seemed that I might be able to overcome the 658+LMG in 44S7. In German T6, his remaining Panther killed the
Sherman but missed the ht (who meanwhile made a successful motion attempt). That ht + 666 was luckily able to break the
remaining 658 in the building which I could mop up in US turn 7 securing the 2nd building for 60 of the 100 required VP. Two
hts and a Sherman were in a rather precarious position at the start of the US T7 MPh but were all in motion. I needed to exit
one of these three to manage the required VP. The Sherman got blasted by a Panzerschreck. One ht managed to survive two shots
by a MG first ADJACENT, then one hex distant. As another German unit was not able to find a Panzerfaust, the ht was able to
escape for the win. If it had not, there would have been a chance for the other ht to exit, though it would have required an
ESB attempt for 1,5MPs. Luckily, I did not have to rely on that any more. What I did wrong was to wait too long to charge. I
am still not sure if bd 54 should be avoided for the slow going but on the other hand, you can be stopped cold in the open if
those HIP Panthers happen to be in the right spot and get rate. I think both Victory Buildings need to be taken (and held!)
because otherwise it is very difficult to exit enough stuff.

American -->[ German

Best played on American SIDE first / with LOS: 14 Hexes / with RULE:---/ with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 6.5 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : ASL'Men [ AP37 ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 783
RE: Christmas Fields - 12/24/2018 9:20:28 PM   
Hailstone

Here's my Christmas gift to everybody!

Christmas Fields

Champs, Belgium, December 25th, 1944: Despite the risk Bastogne represented behind 5th Panzer
Army, their orders stood to push west. 47th Panzerkorp could only engage one kampfgruppe to
take the city. Two simultaneous attacks were envisaged. The first carried out by 77th Panzer-
grenadier Regiment, of the 26th Volksgrenadier Division, had to take the village of Champs held
by A Company of the 502nd Parachute Regiment. The second operation's goal, to open the front held
2km to the south by the 327th Glider Regiment was assigned to kampfgruppe Maucke, made up of
115th Panzergrenadier Regiment and the armored tanks of 115th Panzer Battalion. After an artillery
barrage, the attack began.

Game Length: 9 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture all stone buildings in the village of Champs.
For the Americans to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing the town.

Germans: Squads, HMG's, MMG's, LMG's, PSK's, Radio, AFV's
Americans: Squads, HMG, MMG's, MTR's, BAZ's, AFV's

Boards: #2, #3, #4

Aftermath: Quickly, the men of 77th Panzergrenadier Regiment attacked. As the positions of A Company
were threatened to be overrun, its commander, Captain Wallace A. Swanson, asked for help from HQ.
Companies B and C were sent in reinforcement toward Champs. The detachment was confronted by elements
of kampfgruppe Maucke, which was also moving towards Champs. 5 tanks of 115th Panzer Battalion were
soon destroyed by bazooka shots and soon two M18's of the 705th Tank Destroyer Battalion entered the
fight. A Panzer IV succeeded in spite of this and penetrated into Champs, where the Volksgrenadiers
had already been driven out. The Panzer was soon knocked out and Champs was firmly reoccupied by the
paratroops. A new attempt to take Bastogne had failed.

Source: Tactiques magazine scenario ASL TAC 19, Christmas Fields

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 784
RE: Christmas Fields - 12/24/2018 10:15:48 PM   
slaphappypappy

What Cullin Devices?

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 785
RE: Hailstone Break - 12/26/2018 4:45:43 PM   
rico21

Culin Devices == Murphy Law

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 786
Red Tears Shed On Gray - 12/27/2018 3:26:36 PM   
rico21

Red Tears Shed On Gray

Karpova, Ukraine 1941-08-18.
Under German-backed dictator Antonescu, Rumania joined its Nazi ally in the fateful Operation Barbarossa. After two months of
defeats, the Soviet Army in the Ukraine was reeling. Second line units, factory militia and ageing equipment were thrown into
the path of the Axis invaders. On 17 August, the Rumanian 11th Infantry Division approached the town of Karpova, a key railway
junction 30 km northwest of Odessa. The factories and warehouses near the railway station were defended by a ragtag company of
Soviet units.

Rumanian(Elements of 3rd "Dorobanti" Regiment, 11th Infantry Division and 1st Armored Regiment) -->[ Russian (Elements of the
Odessa Defense Region)

Best played on Rumanian SIDE first / with LOS: 8 Hexes / with RULE:---/ with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 6 Game Turns
Victory objective: The side with the required Victory Points is the winner. Both sides gets VPs for owning VP Objectives.
Scenario designer : ASL'Men [ Friendly Fire Pack 11 ID:FrF89 ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 787
RE: Red Tears Shed On Gray - 12/30/2018 2:57:06 PM   
Hailstone

I'm back. Having to go back to work has severely limited my time to make scenarios but I
will continue and with a new appreciation for Rico for contributing so much even while working!

By the way, Rico, that "Die for Wyppolsowa" was sneaky so my first play was a Minor Defeat but
the second play was a Major Victory.

Anyway, Here we go again...

Get Up, Kids!

East of Krinkelt, Belgium, December 17th, 1944: The German counter-offensive in the Ardennes had
started the previous day at dawn. After quick successes due to surprise, the 1st SS PanzerKorps
met increasingly strong opposition from the Americans and soon certain regiments were blocked.
In order to open Rollbahn A with German troops and allow a fast progression, the 277th Volksgrenadier
Division had to take over the villages of Rocherath and Krinkelt. It was soon obvious to the
German command that it would not succeed alone and Kampgruppe Muller of the 12th SS Panzer Division
was sent in reinforcement. After a difficult night advance through the woods to the east of Krinkelt,
the German units got to their attack positions by morning.

Game Length: 11 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture 4 VP hexes in their westward drive.
For the Americans to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing VP's.

Germans: Squads, LMG's, MMG's, HMG's, MTR's, PSK's, AFV's
Americans: Squads, MMG's, HMG, BAZ's, MTR's, AFV's

Boards: #4, #5, #17, #33

Aftermath: The 3rd Battalion of the 393rd Regiment of "Battle Babes", which was making its first
engagement, undertook the initial attack. The Americans had to retreat, leaving behind several
wounded they could not transport. After traveling a few kilometers, they met up with entrenched
positions of the 3rd Battalion of the 23rd Infantry Regiment. The "Battle Babes" had just finished
getting into position when the German tanks appeared and attacked the American positions with their
machine guns. Uncle Sam's soldiers and a few Shermans of the 741st Tank Battalion knocked out several
of the German tanks, but the pressure was too strong and the American positions were overrun. The
survivors withdrew to Krinkelt as night fell. Sgt V. Mc Garaty of the 393rd and Pfc. J. M. Lopez of
the 23rd received the Medal of Honor for their bravery during these engagements.

Source: Tactiques Magazine Scenario ASL TAC10, Get Up Kids!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 788
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 12/31/2018 1:46:44 AM   
Hailstone

Counterattack at Villers-Bocage

Villers-Bocage, France, June 13th, 1944: Six days after the landing, in the sector reserved for the 2nd
British Army, the 12th SS Panzer Division and the 21st Panzer Divisions held the bastion of Caen too
firmly to be taken frontally by the 1st British Corps. The decision was made to attack Caen from both
sides, known as Operation Perch. A little before 0900 Hrs Squadron B of the 4th County of London
Yeomanry arrived, as a point element, at Villers-Bocage with a section of the motorized infantry 1st
Rifle Brigade (called Green Jackets) and took up a position in the village. Squadron A continued to a
position on the western slope of Hill 213. The Germans decided to halt the encirclement. At 0915 Hrs,
a detachment of tanks from Schwere SS Panzer Abeitling 101 controlled by SS Obersturmfuhrer Michael
Wittman and supported by Panzergrenadiers, attacked the British at Villers-Bocage.

Game Length: 8.5 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture the village of Villers-Bocage with 19 VP's
For the British to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing the village

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, PSK's, AFV's
British: Squads, MMG, LMG's, MTR, PIAT, AFV's

Boards: #10, #11, #18

Aftermath: Benefitting from surprise, and after having destroyed a column of light vehicles on Hill 213,
Wittman led the attack of 5 Tigers. Tanks and Grenadiers erupted into the village where a confused fight
followed. The British tanks were destroyed one after the other. Overrun, the Green Jackets resisted as
well as they could until the arrival of reinforcements of the Queens. But the very aggressive Germans
were also reinforced by armored tanks of Panzer-Lehr. The fighting was house to house, and by the end of
the day, the pressure from the Germans forced the British to withdraw from Villers-Bocage. That evening,
Bomber Command of the RAF crushed the village, which the Germans partially evacuated. The British attack
to widen their bridgehead was stopped. They would make a new attempt two weeks later with Operation Epsom.

Source: Tactiques Magazine, Scenario ASL TAC6, Counterattack at Village-Bocage

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 789
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/5/2019 4:25:15 PM   
Hailstone

I know, I know, there he goes again. So be it...

Bren Guns

North of Saint-Marcel, France, June 18th, 1944: Since the Normandy landing, the Saint-Marcel Maquis had
been very active. Regular night para-drops brought materiel and weapons, and elements of the 2nd SAS were
parachuted in to assist the Partisans with training. All this commotion did not fail to attract German
attention, and on June 18th, 0430 hrs, Feldgendarmerie 790 was on patrol when it was ambushed by Maquis,
with all of its soldiers killed or captured. Malestroit Garrison made up of a battalion from 275th
Infantry Division was quickly alerted at 0630 hrs and undertook a reconnaissance at 0900 hrs. The
Germans were quickly repelled by heavy fire from the Partisans and SAS, both well-equipped with Bren
machineguns. The German attack was resumed at 1000 hrs with mortar support.

Game Length: 8 Turns

For Germans to win they must capture certain buildings to gain VP's
For the British to win they must defend the buildings against the Germans

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's, Radio
British and Partisans: Squads, LMG's, PIAT's

Aftermath: The Bren guns, placed at the woods edge, held the German attack until their crews were
dislodged by mortar shells. The wounded were immediately evacuated to the Saint-Genevieve Castle.
Realizing the strength of the attack, the Partisans decided to call London for aerial support. After
a pause, the German attack resumed at 1400 hrs with the support of the paratroopers of the "Kreta"
Division, followed by the 708th Battalion of Georgian infantry. Around 1530 hrs, the Thunderbolts
from Normandy bridgehead arrived and strafed the German troops, halting their advance, but after their
departure around 1630 hrs, the attack was resumed again. By 1730 hrs, the Partisans were obliged to
withdraw toward the castle, and eventually abandon it. At 1900 hrs, it was briefly retaken by a SAS
counterattack but at 2000 hrs, the arrival of new German reinforcements finally forced the Partisans
into total withdrawal; this was successfully completed by 2200 hrs after the Maquis destroyed most
of their equipment.

Source: Tactiques Magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 17, Bren Guns

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 790
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/5/2019 4:59:46 PM   
Paullus

You do keep me busy Hailstone

But taht is nice

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 791
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/8/2019 9:16:12 PM   
Hailstone

For the hell of it...

There Once Was A Little Column...

Marvie, Belgium, December 28th, 1944: In the Bastogne sector as elsewhere, the Ardennes offensive
was now marking time. Fierce American resistance and German tactical errors were allowing the 101st
Airborne to arrive just in time. The 327th Glider Regiment had orders to take charge of the southern
section of the perimeter defense of the town. At dawn on the 20th of December, the 2nd Battalion relieved
the weakened and exhausted 35th Engineer Battalion who were defending the village of Marvie. A platoon
of light tanks from Team O'Hara of the 10th Armored Division reinforced the glider troops. As well, two
Shermans were posted on the heights to the north.

Game Length: 10 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture VP buildings in the village of Marvie
For the Americans to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing the town

Germans: Squads, MMG, LMG's, PSK, AFV's
Americans: Squads, HMG, MMG, MTR, BAZ's, AFV's

Boards: #2, #5, #11, #12

Aftermath: At 1125, the M5's and the village began taking fire from armored vehicles in the woods to the
east. After having lost one machine, the commander of the light tanks asked for and received permission
to withdraw. The German column continued its advance on the village, but without having spotted the
Shermans... Two panzer IV's, an SPW and the only StuG were quickly destroyed. One German tank preferred
to withdraw while the last was "bazookaed". By 1300, all the other halftracks were knocked out and their
occupants killed or captured in Marvie. A column from Panzer Lehr had just been annihilated.

Source: Tactiques Magazine, Scenario ASL TAC28, There Once Was A Little Column...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 792
Kempf at Melikhovo - 1/10/2019 7:57:12 AM   
rico21

Kempf at Melikhovo

Melikhovo, USSR 1943-07-10.
Operation Citadel had been underway for five days and things were not going well for the German attack. The original plan to
seize the town of Korocha was scrapped and 6th Panzer Division was tasked with breaking through the Soviet defenses and driving
as hard as possible towards Prokhorovka to link up with II SS-Panzer Corps. In the vicinity of Melikhovo, the last defense
line, 6th Panzer attacked with flamethrower tanks and the battle of Melikhovo had begun. . .

German (6th Panzer Division, III Panzer Corps)-->[ Russian (7th Guards Army)

Best played on German SIDE first / with LOS: 5 Hexes / with RULE:variable KV-1 entry/ with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 4.5 Game Turns
Scenario designer : ASL'Men [ ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 793
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/11/2019 1:32:10 AM   
Hailstone

A War of Corporals

Brest, France, September 16th, 1944: After the piercing of the front at Avranches, the Americans
launched their divisions in all directions, notably in Brittany. Their lines of resupply were
lengthening, and the capture of the large French ports was deemed essential. Brest became the primary
objective of US VII Corps. The city garrison was formidable. Led by General Ramcke it consisted of
30,000 men stiffened by the parachutist of the 2nd Fallschirmjager Division, veterans of the Eastern
Front. The assault by three divisions of VII Corps was launched on August 25th, supported by fifteen
artillery groups and seven heavy bomber formations. Despite their numerical advantage, the Americans
were dealt with harshly. The 23rd infantry regiment finally managed to reduce the exterior defenses
by September 8th, but the parachutists were still holding firm. it would be necessary to engage in
difficult street fighting.

For the Americans to win they must capture VP buildings in the town of Brest
For the Germans to win they must defend the town

Boards: #20, #21

Aftermath: The US soldiers slowly progressed into a city reduced to ruins by aviation and artillery.
Despite the support of tank destroyers, each house had to be taken in hand-to-hand fighting or with
the use of flamethrowers. It was a "war of corporals" according to General Robertson. It required eight
further days of heavy and bloody advances and reduction of a fortified strongpoint by the railway station
to reach the Old City. On September 18th, Oberst Pietsonka, commanding the parachutists, surrendered
his regiment to the 2nd Division, preceding the surrender of the Brest garrison itself which took place on
September 21st. The port, in ruins, would not be operational for several weeks. General Ramcke had
accomplished his mission and was awarded the Oak Leaves with Swords and Diamonds to his
Knights Cross of the Iron Cross (he became the 28th holder of this high decoration).

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC42, A War of Corporals

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hailstone -- 1/12/2019 2:33:11 PM >

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 794
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/11/2019 8:24:08 PM   
Hailstone

Panzers Marsch!

East of Kielce, Poland, August 16th, 1944: Profiting from the collapse of Army Group Center, armored
spearheads from the 3rd Guards Army penetrated deep into German lines and captured a town commanding
two bridges which were the key to the German lines of communication. A kampfgruppe from the 3rd Panzer
Division launched a counterattack to retake the village. The plan formulated by Zobel, the Kampfgruppe
commander, involved one company of tanks making a feint to the west while the main attack, detailed to
a second tank company and mounted infantry, was to come from the south.

Game length: 6 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture 9 VP building hexes
For the Russians to win they must prevent the Germans from entering the town

Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG's, LMG's, PSK's, AFV's
Russians: Squads, HMG, LMG's, MTR, ATR, AFV's, AT Gun

Boards: #1, #5

Aftermath: The Panthers, using their guns and machine guns, cleared out the area south of the village,
in the process destroying several anti-tank guns and two tanks. The infantry then entered the village and
siezed the bridges without encountering major opposition. Several Russian units, including tanks, fled to
the northeast. The village was secured with little hindrance from the Russians who for the most part,
realizing their numerical inferiority, abandoned their positions. The second bridge to the northeast of
the village was rapidly controlled by the Germans.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 62, Panzers Marsch!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 795
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/11/2019 11:10:55 PM   
UP844

@ Hailstone:

I was playing "A War of Corporals": when I checked how I was progressing, I was told I was getting a Major Victory even though I only got 3 out of 11 VP hexes.

It looks like Victory Levels were not defined.

I am writing an AAR, so I'm going to continue the game: I assume I must take all VP hexes to get a Major.

Attachment (1)

Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 796
RE: Hailstone Break - 1/12/2019 11:19:51 AM   
rico21

Hailstone, my friend, welcome in the bay of pigs!

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 797
RE: Hailstone Break - 1/12/2019 2:36:35 PM   
Hailstone

Oink, Oink!

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 798
RE: Hailstone Break - 1/12/2019 2:42:03 PM   
Hailstone

UP844, thanks for letting me know that I forgot to complete the victory conditions for A War of Corporals. I did upload a
corrected version. FYI, the victory conditions, as stated in the scenario are, "The Americans win at the game end if they control
buildings 20U2 and 20Z3".

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 799
RE: Hailstone Break - 1/12/2019 3:26:40 PM   
UP844

I thought so .

I was worried about the possible presence of other AI forces that would not move to recapture US-controlled VPs because their side is still winning a Major Victory.

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 800
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/12/2019 3:49:37 PM   
Hailstone

Just because it feels good...

Operation On The Gudbrandsdal

Tretten, Norway, April 23rd, 1940: Landing in April 19th in Aandalsnes, the 148th British Territorial
Brigade first had to go north to take back Trondheim Harbor. In fact, it quickly appeared that the most
serious threat was coming from the south, where the Germans, halted ten days before in Oslo, were pushing
back the Norwegian 2nd Division along the railway and the Gudbrandsdal River. The Brigade then turned
south but did not manage to regroup early enough to stop the Germans from seizing Lillehammer. The
British were then heavily handicapped by the Cedarbank torpedoing, which sank the entire Brigade
transportation pool along with the majority of its ammunition and food reserves. Transported with hastily
requisitioned trucks and busses, the British soldiers also suffered a lack of winter clothes. Finally,
a strong defensive position was installed at Tretten, where the steep hills east of Gudbrandsdal
interdicted all moves. Despite the support of some surviving Norwegian units, things were not looking
too good. Without artillery support and short of ammunition, the British soldiers hadn't slept and had
barely eaten during the last thirty-six hours.

Game Length: 8.5 Turns

For the Germans to win they must capture VP's as they move north
For the British to win they must prevent the Germans from capturing VP's as they move north

Germans: Squads, MMG's, LMG's, MTR's, AFV's
British: Squads, MMG, LMG's, MTR's, ATR's

Boards: #2, #7

Aftermath: Placed forward on the road, two Forester Companies, supported by a Leicestershire Company
placed on the heights, were attacked by the Germans around 1300. After an hour of fighting, the second
company of the Leicestershire was sent from Tretten as reinforcements. Three German light tanks pierced
the British positions, without being damaged by numerous antitank rifle shots, and deeply advanced
toward Tretten. Unluckily for the British, they intercepted some officers of the Brigade on recon duty,
along with the Norwegian military advisor, and cut off all retreat. The village itself was soon under
infantry gunfire and had to be abandoned. Only a British rear guard held until the evening to allow all
the units of the area to withdraw. On their side, the Norwegian Dragoons, positioned farther east to
prevent an eventual turning back, weren't attacked and could return to their trucks safely. Reduced to
nine officers and 300 troopers, the 148th Brigade was no longer a sufficient combat force to prevent the
Germans from resuming their attack toward Aandalsnes. One week later, the British Corps had to disengage
and the Norwegian 2nd Division surrendered on May 2nd.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 39, Operation On The Gudbrandsdal

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 801
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/13/2019 7:54:11 PM   
Hailstone

Just because it's a lazy Sunday...

A Train for Arnhem

Nijmegen, Holland, September 19th, 1944: Two days after the launch of Operation Market-Garden, the
82nd Airborne Division was still trying to gain its objectives. The Germans occupied the heights south
of Nijmegen as well as the northern part of the city, in particular, the two bridges which spanned the
River Waal. The Germans, in the form of Kampfgruppen hurriedly assembled from the remnants of resting
units, had proved too strong for the paratroops on their own. The arrival of the forward detachments of
the British Guards Armoured Division was timely, and a new assault on the Nijmegen bridges was begun.
While a strong force attempted to seize the main road bridge, a more modest force consisting of a
U.S. Paratroop Company, a platoon of British infantry and a troop of tanks were to take the railway bridge.
The bridge was defended by elements of Kampfgruppe Henke, a temporary battalion formed from regular
infantry, Luftwaffe ground personnel, and even Nijmegen rail installation guards, supported by an
anti-aircraft gun.

Game Length: 6 Turns

For the Americans/British to win they must secure the railroad tracks and adjacent buildings in Nijmegen
For the Germans to win they must defend the railroad tracks and vicinity

Americans/British: Squads, HMG, MMG's, BAZ's, AFV's
Germans: Squads, HMG, MMG, LMG's, PSK's, PF

Boards: #8, #20

Aftermath: Although the railroad was seized without much difficulty to within 200 meters of the railway
bridge, the enemy has grown significantly in strength by the time the combined force encountered a
strongpoint defended by machine guns and an 88mm gun. After a hurried consultation with his superiors,
the British commander came up with a plan to break through the defenses and capture the bridge. The attack
began just as the evening twilight started. The first three tanks were quickly put out of action by the
Germans. Now the paratroops were subjected to sustained machine gun fire. Faced with a rising casualty count,
the advance was stopped and the attacking units withdrew 100 meters to take up positions for the
night. In a bitter blow, Lt. Waverly W. Wray of Company D, a veteran of the Normandy campaign, was killed
by a sniper just as he withdrew with his men.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 63, A Train for Arnhem

Sometimes, I'm a bonehead. I got the Victory Points backward. This is the corrected version, 1/14/19

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hailstone -- 1/15/2019 12:13:19 AM >

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 802
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/14/2019 1:39:53 PM   
slaphappypappy

Very good scenario!
Got a hard fought Major German Victory on last turn!

(in reply to Hailstone)
Post #: 803
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/14/2019 6:12:42 PM   
UP844

Hailstone, please don't hate me...

I regret having to report that the Victory Conditions in "A Train for Arnhem" don't look right: the Americans can get a Major Victory by taking just 4 VP hexes (i.e. they can take the two leftmost buildings and sit there)

Attachment (1)

Siegfried Sassoon

(in reply to slaphappypappy)
Post #: 804
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/15/2019 12:21:00 AM   
Hailstone

UP844, It's all good. I only have myself to blame and correct which I did. FYI, the scenario's original
victory conditions were for the Americans to not leave more than 3 German squads unbroken in the
vicinity of the railroad - two hexes on each side by game end. That's why the Germans just needed

to hold onto 4 hexes to simulate the 4 unbroken squads to prevent the Americans from winning.

(in reply to UP844)
Post #: 805
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/15/2019 12:32:39 AM   
Hailstone

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaphappypappy

Very good scenario!

Thanks for the compliment! The toughest thing for me are the victory conditions. It's a balancing
act to have "an enjoyable challenge".

Post #: 806
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/15/2019 11:00:58 AM   
UP844

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaphappypappy

Very good scenario!

I agree! It's a really outstanding and is also worth playing on the British side.

Siegfried Sassoon

Post #: 807
Peiper's Charge - 1/19/2019 1:26:05 PM   
rico21

Peiper's Charge

In December 1944, Hitler launched his last great offensives against the western Allies. The largest was Wacht Am Rhein, or
Watch on the Rhine, and would be forever known to American historians as the Battle of the Bulge. The goal was simple, punch
through to the Meuse River, then take Antwerp to encircle four Allied armies. This would hopefully force the Allies to the
negotiating table and end the war on favourable terms for Germany. To accomplish the offensive, Hitler gave the most critical
task to his most trusted unit: the 1. Liebstandarte SS-Panzerdivision, which in turn gave its most important objective to its
best panzer regiment led by SS-Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant Colonel) Jochen Peiper.

German (Elements of SS Panther Kompanie 1 and III/SS PanzerGrenadier Battalion and Fallschirmjager Regiment 9,
Kampfgruppe Peiper...) -->[ American (Elements of the 526th Armored Infantry Battalion and 825th Tank Destroyer Battalion and
the 202nd Engineer Combat Battalion...)

Best played ONLY German SIDE(AI does not know how to maneuver the German Units) / with LOS: 6 Hexes / with RULE: No Quarter
No Glory / with MOD: Yours / etc.

Scenario Length: 25 Game Turns
Scenario designer : Genius'Men [ Flames Of War - ASL Scenarios - Close Combat Wacht Am Rhein ]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 808
RE: Submitted Scenarios - 1/20/2019 5:26:12 PM   
Hailstone

Here's an early war scenario between the British and the Germans in Greece...

Pyrrhic Victory

Mavropiye, Greece, April 13th, 1941: On April 8th, just two days after the German offensive, it became
obvious to General Wilson, commanding officer of the Imperial Expeditionary Force (IEF), that the Greeks
would not be able to resist enemy pressure much longer. Consequently, he decided to redeploy his forces
to the south, along with a shorter defensive line, anchored on wooded mountains and easier to defend. But
he needed time to do so. Several units were detached from the IEF and placed under General Mackay. They
started blowing up a series of bridges, managing to greatly slow down the Panzer Divisions. Even this
was not enough though, and Mackay fought a first (and successful) blocking action at Vevi. Encouraged by
the result, he decided to try again, 35 km to the south, at Ptolemais, a natural antitank ditch cut across
the South road. This looked like the perfect spot from where to try stopping the onrushing Panzers. The
clash was not long in coming. On the morning of the 13th, the 4th Hussars forward observation posts
beyond the ditch came under heavy attack. The Germans quickly realized that it would be impossible to
force their way through. A glance at the map indicated a possible solution: a trail bypassed the obstacle,
but the ground was swampy and seemed impassable for the Panzers. Nonetheless, it was the only way out
and had to be attempted. A few hours later the first German tanks showed up on the British flank.

For the Germans to win they must capture the town of Mavropiye
For the British to win they must defend the town

Germans: Squads, LMG's, ATR's, AFV's
British: Squads, MMG, LMG's, ATR's, AFV's, ART Gun

Boards: #3, #18

Aftermath: The fighting started right away. Two Hussars squadrons threw themselves at the Germans without
further ado: the action turned into a slaughter. Despite their bravery, Sir Winston's Hussars were felled
one after the other. Nonetheless, the German victory did not last very long. Rushing straight for the
1st Armoured Division's HQ, the Panzers stumbled upon the 2-pdrs of the 102nd Northumberland Hussars.
Eight tanks were quickly knocked out and the German momentum was broken. And that was not the end of it.
Two Cruisers squadrons, coming to help, set another five on fire within a few minutes. However, Brigadier
General Charrington, the Brigades' commanding officer judged that it would be safer to withdraw without
delay. Night was falling and it would be easier to disengage under the cover of darkness. Mackay's force
escaped. But losses had been heavy. Too heavy in fact, for what proved to be the 1st Armoured Brigade's
first, and last, action.

Source: Tactiques magazine, Scenario ASL TAC 53, Phyrric Victory

New version: previous version the AI kept placing an arty gun too big to fire from buildings in buildings.
Replaced 4.5-inch Howitzer with 2-pounder AT gun (as in scenario description), Jan 21 2019

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Hailstone -- 1/22/2019 1:45:07 AM >

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 809
RE: Peiper's Charge - 1/20/2019 7:06:13 PM   
Hailstone

Looks like there won't be any more scenarios from me until after I take on Rico's monster scenario, or shall we say campaign?

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Hailstone Break Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI