Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Dawn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: New Dawn Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Dawn - 12/14/2017 8:28:51 AM   
Shogouki

Crashed again at about the same place, same info in the new crash dump.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 61
RE: New Dawn - 12/14/2017 11:39:45 PM   
fuke

Thank you Rosbjerg for the early Xmas present! :) Really cool that Sabranan made the tool and the community is still active ..With the 1.31 patch I went about 8 hours before the first crash, another 6 hours before the second crash, so, big improvement - but now it keeps doing this crash after a little while when I try to continue game:

11:56:10 PM Finalizer: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.SteamAPI.Shutdown()

Oh also, Shogouki's crash dump mentions Race Events -- I had those turned on in my custom start games (and other events turned off). Are there any recommendations for start settings or things we should turn off?

< Message edited by fuke -- 12/14/2017 11:40:12 PM >

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 62
RE: New Dawn - 12/15/2017 2:06:27 PM   
Rosbjerg

Hmm, admittedly I'm a little out of my league here, as I've rummaged those codes multiple times and have yet to find an error that should cause crashes. This is why I never became a programmer, heh

I'm thinking of redoing the mod from scratch after New Year, actually. Given the knowledge I have now and to move away from some of the early mistakes I made, which are undoubtedly the problems plaguing stability. Especially since a single forgotten semicolon out of place can destroy everything.

This would also give me a chance to build it on top of Bacon's Mod, which is all kinds of awesome.

For now, if Race Events are screwing things up, I'll try to go through them again.

Thanks for the log and feedback and sorry I can't seem to iron out the bugs.

(in reply to fuke)
Post #: 63
RE: New Dawn - 12/15/2017 3:27:38 PM   
Shogouki

Could the issue be that race specific events being active is a problem? I'm going to try again with everything disabled and see if that works.

Also you needn't apologize. Your mod looks very cool and you've done far better than I could have. 😊

If you do end up rebuilding your mod have you thought about rebalancing any of the technologies? That's something I would love to see, especially for the weapons. Having railguns, missiles, and phasers being so inferior compared to blasters and torpedoes has always made me sad.

Anyway thanks for working on this at all! I've desperately wanted interesting but balanced more for this game and it's wonderful that you've taken the time and effort to create a mod.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 64
RE: New Dawn - 12/15/2017 4:49:48 PM   
Rosbjerg

I think the issue is that one the events are 'illegal' in that it can't fire properly and that causes a hard-crash. Although I tried to limit it to very simple events. I must've missed one/some.

As for weapons - I actually did want to balance them initially, but was kind of intimidated by not knowing the game well enough at the time I started. Having put a few hundred hours in now, I agree however. Although blasters are only really better because they don't have a hard weakness like the others. Facing off against an AI that solely focuses on shields makes kinect weapons really powerful obviously.

But this was and will continue to be my design philosophy. Anything that adds diversity and rewards different approaches is a priority. Why shouldn't a despotic empire be able to win the game? The idea that some (and especially liberal democracies) political system are inherently superior in ALL facets, is a very eurocentric conception.

< Message edited by Rosbjerg -- 12/15/2017 4:54:47 PM >

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 65
RE: New Dawn - 12/15/2017 11:59:59 PM   
Shogouki

I still think that the advantages of railguns are too few and specific to make up for their weaknesses. Same with phasers. And don't even get me started on missiles... 😣

It's a shame that the crash dump doesn't tell you which event/s were problematic.

< Message edited by Shogouki -- 12/16/2017 12:05:04 AM >

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 66
RE: New Dawn - 12/16/2017 8:48:28 AM   
Rosbjerg

Mostly the situational weapons need a powerboost, so they are more viable, if less effecient, when up against a hard counter. And adding some weakness to blasters, to even it all out, would probably also be a good idea. But that's gonna have to be after New Year :)

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 67
RE: New Dawn - 12/18/2017 11:45:20 PM   
Shogouki

No worries, it'll give me something to look forward to. I'm honestly just happy that you're willing to do this as I've wanted for so long a mod that balances the technologies.

Hopefully having Sabranan's mod tool from the start will make things easier.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 68
RE: New Dawn - 12/19/2017 8:03:19 AM   
Rosbjerg

I'd welcome any input btw, you seem to have given it some thought and two pair of eyes are better than one :)

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 69
RE: New Dawn - 12/19/2017 8:20:37 AM   
Shogouki

I'd be happy to provide any input that might be helpful. However I can't guarantee that all my thoughts will be balanced even though that's ultimately what I want, which is why I haven't attempted to do this on my own. With you at the helm, and perhaps input from others too, anything madly unbalanced I suggest would be safely shot down.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 70
RE: New Dawn - 12/19/2017 8:46:42 AM   
Rosbjerg

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 71
RE: New Dawn - 12/28/2017 8:26:11 AM   
Shogouki

Not sure if this is a bug or what but I'm playing the Saxons as a Technocracy currently. Whenever a new leader is elected my scientist disappears. Is this something that is supposed to happen?

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 72
RE: New Dawn - 12/28/2017 10:41:57 AM   
Rosbjerg

If your scientist becomes leader then yes, in a Technocracy your scientists can be elected leaders - like your generals or admirals can in military societies.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 73
RE: New Dawn - 12/29/2017 9:28:47 AM   
Shogouki

Ahh very interesting, I didn't know that. Good to know it's not a bug. If they get defeated or dismissed by the player will they come back as a scientist?

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 74
RE: New Dawn - 12/29/2017 12:59:58 PM   
Rosbjerg

No unfortunately not, the game engine doesn't handle it in the same way Stellaris does for instance - where there's a sort of active pool your leaders, admirals etc can go in and out of.
The payoff is that you generally get more experienced leaders, when they draw from your existing recruits, but you lose them if another elected or a coup happens.

< Message edited by Rosbjerg -- 12/29/2017 1:00:27 PM >

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 75
RE: New Dawn - 1/16/2018 8:26:50 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

Very good mod, I like every part of it!

In terms of balance I do think you need to look at how the civilian trade behaves. The extremely slow FTL means trade suffer allot and that will hamper not only the player but the AI more. Civilian trade ships need to be much cheaper to maintain somehow and have larger capacity.

I would suggest making cargo holds smaller and carrying more capacity. This should lower maintenance and ship more per journey.

I was also playing a bit with integrating the Bacon Mod since that is just awesome and I had to increase the FTL speeds considerably since that mod made it even worse for trade. I made FTL roughly 1/3 of the standard speed which seemed OK.

Anyway... keep up the good work!

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 76
RE: New Dawn - 1/18/2018 7:43:10 AM   
Rosbjerg

Those are good ideas - especially ramping up carrying capacity, as I've found fuel burns at a staggering rate compared to speed. I'll probably have to turn down the burn rate too though.

I like the much lower speeds however, as I find I have to be a lot more strategic with both cashflow, traderoutes and military deployment, when you can't just fly your fleet in at the first sign of trouble.

I'm working on merging my mod with Bacon's as well by the way, and for that I'm rebuilding it from scratch bascially. To avoid some the errors I've made along the way, that I just can't iron out. But the eta on that is late february.

And thanks for feedback :)

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 77
RE: New Dawn - 12/30/2018 7:17:26 PM   
fuke

I have played the mod a few times in the last year and didn't get crashes with the race & story events off, so I'm pretty sure that was the cause. Still a huge fan btw :)

Re. FTL speeds, I think the problem isn't the speed per se, but the fact that fuel consumption is not reduced in kind, so range is dramatically reduced in addition to speed.

This leads to a stall in the early game where you can't explore much if at all once you get FTL drives, forcing you to sit there for a while and rush the next level of FTL tech, and/or send your explorers on one-way suicide missions, which they are often extremely resistant to doing.

I also see swarms of white civilian traders just sitting around inhabited planets and not moving. I believe it's because they are spawned with the expectation something will be in range, without an actual calculation being done as it is with state ships. This limits the early game extra income you usually would get from those guys I think, making starts a bit rougher.

In some ways I like how this slows down the game but it feels unintentional and slightly broken so I think fuel consumption needs to be reduced a bit :\

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 78
RE: New Dawn - 1/14/2019 1:21:35 PM   
Rosbjerg

Good idea, a reduction of fuel consumption would be an easy fix to the problem - and generally in line with the reasoning behind the mod. It was after all never to hurt the AI, but simply to slow things down, because I really enjoyed the slower start and wanted to extend that further into the game. Also to adress the problem with fleets just jumping in from neighbouring systems, at the first sign of trouble.

I'll take a look at it and see if it works.

(in reply to fuke)
Post #: 79
RE: New Dawn - 1/18/2019 9:00:52 AM   
MesoTroniK

Hello this is MesoTroniK, I make mods for Starsector.

Please do not use my content without asking for permission first, I also advise this in general unless the license for said mod explicitly states this is not needed. Also in this instance because you need to modify the assets so heavily to fit this game? I will never allow such use, so I respectfully request you remove my content from your mod.

On the other hand, this mod doesn't appear to have been updated for a long time. So if you don't intend to update it again? I will allow my content to stay in it, but if you update it again? I please ask that you remove it as part of that update.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 80
RE: New Dawn - 1/22/2019 6:12:36 AM   
Shogouki

Please let us know if this works, I have really enjoyed this mod but found that the FTL speed reduction did pretty much gimp the AI.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 81
RE: New Dawn - 1/22/2019 6:34:24 AM   
Rosbjerg

I'm working on tweaking it right now, I'll hopefully have something tested and up by start February.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MesoTroniK
So if you don't intend to update it again?

Sorry man, I must've missed PMing you, I'll be on the safe side and remove all the ships from StarSector shortly.

< Message edited by Rosbjerg -- 1/27/2019 12:17:06 PM >

(in reply to MesoTroniK)
Post #: 82
RE: New Dawn - 1/27/2019 12:18:58 PM   
Rosbjerg

A new upload has been submitted to Moddb (might take up to an hour to be available) with all fuel consumption for hyperdrives halved, see the first post for download link.
This version is with standard Distant Worlds ship models.

Also I'd like to pass on the torch to any interested in taking over or merging this with Bacon's mod, no need to credit what you take from this mod. Currently I consider this mod finished, as I don't play Distant Worlds anymore or really intent to return to it.

< Message edited by Rosbjerg -- 1/27/2019 12:21:19 PM >

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 83
RE: New Dawn - 1/28/2019 12:40:50 AM   
Shogouki

Sorry to see you go but thank you for all the work you've done, I really enjoy this mod!

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 84
RE: New Dawn - 1/28/2019 8:36:08 AM   
Rosbjerg

Thank you and thanks for the feedback along they way :)

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 85
RE: New Dawn - 1/29/2019 6:17:59 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosbjerg

A new upload has been submitted to Moddb (might take up to an hour to be available) with all fuel consumption for hyperdrives halved, see the first post for download link.
This version is with standard Distant Worlds ship models.

Also I'd like to pass on the torch to any interested in taking over or merging this with Bacon's mod, no need to credit what you take from this mod. Currently I consider this mod finished, as I don't play Distant Worlds anymore or really intent to return to it.

thanks Rosbjerg for all your hard work on this GREAT "DistantWorlds: Universe" mod

just to be sure: is version 1.3 the last downloadable one, the one at which you refer on your last quoted [see above] message ?

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 86
RE: New Dawn - 1/29/2019 7:45:14 PM   
Rosbjerg

Hmm, I thought I deleted all the old files - and uploaded 'New Dawn - Final Version' can you still see 1.3?

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 87
RE: New Dawn - 1/29/2019 8:31:07 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

Hmm, I thought I deleted all the old files - and uploaded 'New Dawn - Final Version' can you still see 1.3?

I downloaded your mod and can see that the folders in the mod were modified 27th January 2019..... so I assume this is the latest version of the mod.

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 88
RE: New Dawn - 1/29/2019 9:02:27 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

on the down-load site ModDB it correctly say: New Dawn Final Version

on the first page of the New Dawn thread on the Matrix forum is still indicated as:

Download current version 1.3

(in reply to Rosbjerg)
Post #: 89
RE: New Dawn - 1/30/2019 5:03:39 AM   
EliphasTheInheritor

Deleting MyPolicy and base_dialogue files and disabling events totally got me rid of crashes. Although, someone should look why events cause crashing...maybe typo mistakes?

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: New Dawn Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI