Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Italian East Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Italian East Africa Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Italian East Africa - 1/23/2019 1:06:45 PM   
amandkm

Let me start by saying I am NOT good at this game. I read and watch AARs of people who just cut through this game like Sherman through Georgia and I struggle even at the easiest settings.

My current concern is Italian East Africa. How do you pros deal with that Italian Corps that camps out in Addis Ababa? I have two British corps, to south Africans, an Indian army, the 7th armoured, and the tac bombers surrounding it and I can't do any better than take it down to 1 point each turn, only to have it reinforced back up to 6. The next turn, the process repeats.

What am I missing? I have the British and the South African HQ's backing the attack to help with supply. I've upgraded the forces and i pull them every few turns to reinforce them... any advice is welcome!
Post #: 1
RE: Italian East Africa - 1/23/2019 2:11:18 PM   
elxaime

I am no expert, but my sense is that as Allies it is key to take your time initially, get you units fully supplied and with good morale, then move in using the air support from Egypt. It is very easy to get mired in East Africa if you rush, as you low morale units won't be successful. Also, make sure to blockade any ports Italy still holds in the area.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 2
RE: Italian East Africa - 1/23/2019 2:27:54 PM   
Kornstalx

IEA is easy once you learn how the game works. Don't attack Addis every turn, you have to siege it to low supply, and try and cut off that Italian HQ from the capital itself. Each turn that you have two ground units adjacent to any enemy resource (like a city), it will lose one supply point. Once the city gets low on supply, the defending Corps is much easier to deal with. If the corps ever gets to zero supply (click on it and look) you can kill it with just two attacks (usually 5-6 points per attack).

The trick is that Italian HQ... It's full strength (level 10) and a full strength HQ with even ZERO supply is still going to radiate at a supply distribution level of 5. If it's adjacent to the city this will give the corps 4 supply, which is enough to reinforce to 8 every turn. If you don't take all the surrounding settlements (like that one really close to the south of Addis) then the Italian HQ can get supply from there, and if it's getting at least 3 supply from the nearby settlement then it will distribute 8 supply to the Corps in Addis (even if Addis is sitting at zero!). This is enough supply to let the Addis Corps reinforce to 10 every turn, and it will also fight very effectively.

You have to make sure you seige Addis down to low (or preferably zero) supply while pushing that HQ away, and cutting it off from the city. Push it back a hex and block the road between the HQ and Addis. Or chase it and destroy it. You will never be able to take Addis alone with just South African ground corps while that enemy HQ is giving supply, especially if it's getting supply from a nearby settlement.

Just for reference I made a chart that demonstrates how effective the enemy HQ is being: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4582548

(in reply to elxaime)
Post #: 3
RE: Italian East Africa - 1/24/2019 11:06:31 AM   
Xsillione

Don't attack the corps until the HQ destroyed, just park two units next to the city to reduce it's supply by one in each turn while you clear the HQ. After that, you should be able to clear it quite fast, but you need to reduce the entrenchment probably, so you need some time and effort.

(in reply to Kornstalx)
Post #: 4
RE: Italian East Africa - 1/24/2019 12:06:43 PM   
amandkm

OK, thanks. That did it. Of course while I was worrying about that, the Germans and Japanese have essentially elminated the Russian and Chinese armies so I will have to restart or at least go back to a much older save to take this up again.

Fascinating game, though! Appreciate the insight.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Italian East Africa Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI