Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sci fi mods?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Sci fi mods? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sci fi mods? - 11/16/2018 7:22:56 PM   
MC456

Hey guys,

I have checked the Scenario Bank for sci-fi mods but they seem to be more space-based rather than ground combat. I noticed there was talk about a Warhammer 40k mod, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do any of you gentlemen (or ladies) happen to have a copy of the mod file you can send me? Or any other cool sci-fi mods?

I was actually thinking of doing my own 40k mod but I figured I may as well check this one out first. A Star Wars or StarCraft mod would be cool too :D
Post #: 1
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/16/2018 11:02:51 PM   
ArmouredLion

A 40k mod would be outstanding! I'm about to pull my Space Marines and Tyrannids and play with my son now that you bring it up... I don't know and SCi Fi mods... but a 40k one would be amazing....

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 2
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/19/2018 9:14:29 PM   
MC456

I'd love to see the Tyranids represented on the ATG engine. Sci-fi allows for much more unique playstyles with different races and technologies, in my opinion. WW2 wargaming is getting stale for me lol

(in reply to ArmouredLion)
Post #: 3
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/19/2018 9:43:05 PM   
ArmouredLion

I've been hooked on WW2 forever... and I'm too dumb to quit. I'm breaking out my Flames of War and Bolt Action figures for some painting and refurbashing... BUT, 40k would be super sweet... it would work perfectly for this game... wished someone had the guts and brains to put it together... love the history... been playing since 89', although very on an off since.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 4
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/20/2018 12:20:16 AM   
MC456

I had thought about working on a 40k mod myself, but my only concern is that I might be better off waiting for Vic's next game Shadow Empire. I just figure it might be a better engine to start fresh on. I think he mentioned somewhere that it's going to be released in the first quarter of 2019.

(in reply to ArmouredLion)
Post #: 5
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/20/2018 12:41:41 AM   
ernieschwitz

That probably won't be an option, as I heard that it won't have an editor.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 6
RE: Sci fi mods? - 11/20/2018 2:28:34 AM   
MC456

Ah dang, well good to know now

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 7
RE: Sci fi mods? - 1/30/2019 3:45:39 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MC456

Hey guys,

I have checked the Scenario Bank for sci-fi mods but they seem to be more space-based rather than ground combat. I noticed there was talk about a Warhammer 40k mod, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Do any of you gentlemen (or ladies) happen to have a copy of the mod file you can send me? Or any other cool sci-fi mods?

I was actually thinking of doing my own 40k mod but I figured I may as well check this one out first. A Star Wars or StarCraft mod would be cool too :D

There was a 40k mod in work some time ago, it was being done by a French guy. It faltered on the limitation of the game engine WRT ranged combat. It might be in the scenario bank ? Not sure because it was never finished.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 8
RE: Sci fi mods? - 2/18/2019 11:27:15 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I wonder if the graphics will be in any way compatible with the DC/AT format. If so, then we could always import some of the Shadow Empire graphics into ATG and create a sci fi mod in ATG based on SE.

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 2/18/2019 11:28:26 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Sci fi mods? - 2/19/2019 12:38:27 AM   
ernieschwitz

I checked VRDesigns scenario bank for the tag Science Fiction. Two scenarios came up, none of which I have tried.

Space Opera: http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=97

StarDrek Mod 1.50: http://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=39

Note that none of them had work on them since 2010. So they are based on the Old AT:WW2. That should however mean they are still playable in ATG.

< Message edited by ernieschwitz -- 2/19/2019 12:40:15 AM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 10
RE: Sci fi mods? - 2/19/2019 3:51:34 PM   
ArmouredLion

Space Opera look very interesting!!

Post #: 11
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/11/2019 2:18:59 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

Yikes! That's going to hurt its sales.

Post #: 12
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/11/2019 3:56:40 PM   
ernieschwitz

Recently Vic touched on this subject on his site, VRDesigns. Here he said that it won't have an editor to begin with, but may get one later on.

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 13
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/11/2019 5:13:04 PM   
MC456

It sounds like Vic's got big plans for Shadow Empire anyway. ATG is still a powerful enough engine that I don't really think Shadow Empire would replace it as a generic wargame simulator. From the latest update Vic has mentioned that it will be a combination of 4X strategy games and military focused wagames (like his usual stuff). As someone who plays a lot of 4X games as well as wargames, I am pretty happy with this design choice.

Post #: 14
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/11/2019 7:41:18 PM   
Blond_Knight

quote:

Recently Vic touched on this subject on his site, VRDesigns. Here he said that it won't have an editor to begin with, but may get one later on.

It was a long time ago but I remember DC: Warsaw to Paris was released without an editor. And I didn't buy it for several years until the editor was integrated.
Now a days, knowing how extensive Vic's editors are I think there might be some trepidation about buying something without an editor.

Post #: 15
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/12/2019 7:37:18 PM   
Vic

Hi all,

Shadow Empire has turned out a mighty complex project, that really does not lend itself to easy editing (understatement!). So that is the main reason i'll not add an editor.

I might add specific limited editors for modding support later on. But it will never become a game with a 'sandbox' editor.

Another reason is that I cannot turn every project I do in to a 'sandboxy' design kit.

Do not get me wrong... I love providing those, but what I am trying to do is focus on ATG and DC:Community Project here.

One providing full flexibility and the other really focussing on easy creation of historical scenarios.

Supporting those two will be the maximum I can do on the long haul.

I am planning to give both ATG and DC:ComProj a big update next year after Shadow Empire is out the door.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Blond_Knight)
Post #: 16
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/14/2019 2:40:49 AM   
MC456

Yeah I don't think it's necessary to sacrifice development hours to build an editor when there's already a perfectly good one for ATG. You clearly have more unique plans for Shadow Empire anyway.

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 17
RE: Sci fi mods? - 3/14/2019 2:02:59 PM   
Ormand

quote:

I am planning to give both ATG and DC:ComProj a big update next year after Shadow Empire is out the door.

I want to give this a ringing endorsement.

(in reply to MC456)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Sci fi mods? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI