Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SqzMyLemon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: SqzMyLemon Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 2:43:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Insano

Sad news indeed. His place here on Earth will be missed by many of us from all places around the globe. His local friends and family probably don't have a perspective on the global reach through the forum here. Unknown to them his passing will be felt by many people. Our community is the poorer without him.

They know. I'm sure Chickenboy told them. I told his wife today via email, that people from Singapore to South Korea, England to Sweden to the Czech Republic, France and many of the states and some of the provinces, all knew Joseph. That we knew him as a gentleman. That we are a tightknit group who share a love for history and a complex game. That we'd known Joseph for years. That he was a meticulous player who prepared thoroughly and who grumbled good-naturedly when an opponent pulled some tricky calamity on him, just like we all do, and that we will all miss him, especially his former opponents, who are quite hurt at his passing.

An hour later, I received the most beautiful reply from her. She must be quite a lady.

If Andre thinks its fitting, perhaps he can share her email address (at least via PM) so that others of you can write condolences. If you wonder if your words could be meaningful at a time like this, this was how she ended her email:

"Your words warmed my heart... He loved history so much and enjoyed playing very much... Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I will print out your email and treasure it forever..."

Thanks for the follow up, Dan. Sending a nice letter before we get 'busy' with the rest of our lives and move on is definitely the way to go. I've done so this morning as well.

Yes, if anyone wants his widow's email, please PM me.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 31
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 2:48:36 PM   
Chickenboy

Joseph's loss stings on a personal level for a number of reasons, least of all because we were the same age. And he was the third "horse" that I had shot out from under me. USS Henrico (Alex), DivePac88 (Dez) and now SqzMyLemon (Joseph). A sharpened stake of reality right into the heart.

Media vita in morte sumus

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 32
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 5:01:21 PM   
rsallen64

I don't post often, but I read the forum every single day, so I am familiar with most of the names of the people that do post. This is another loss that's hard to bear, as people have mentioned, and every one saddens me. I'm in my mid 50's now, and more and more I see people I knew from childhood falling or getting ill with serious illnesses. It stings and is scary. As others have mentioned, don't let things go too long if something is bothering you and get it checked out by a doctor.

I go through all the Matrix forums, and I have to say, this is the only one that posts messages of support for other forumites in this manner. This is the best forum, bar none, I have ever seen on the net. This is a really unique, close knit community, formed around a unique, fantastic game. I am grateful and humbled to even be a part of it.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 5:29:41 PM   
Insano

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I don't post often, but I read the forum every single day, so I am familiar with most of the names of the people that do post. This is another loss that's hard to bear, as people have mentioned, and every one saddens me. I'm in my mid 50's now, and more and more I see people I knew from childhood falling or getting ill with serious illnesses. It stings and is scary. As others have mentioned, don't let things go too long if something is bothering you and get it checked out by a doctor.

I go through all the Matrix forums, and I have to say, this is the only one that posts messages of support for other forumites in this manner. This is the best forum, bar none, I have ever seen on the net. This is a really unique, close knit community, formed around a unique, fantastic game. I am grateful and humbled to even be a part of it.

Well said. I'm the same and I know there are more like us. I don't post frequently but I read the forum every day. I consider myself a member of the fine community here. I feel like I personally know the guys (gal) that post frequently.

I remember SqzMyLemon's game with Smeulders. That was at the time when I was first getting into this game.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 34
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 7:28:46 PM   
geofflambert

For those young ones who haven't been in the forum long, there's a bunch of cranky old dudes here and every so often one of us dies. As Betty Davis once said, "Getting old ain't for sissies".

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 35
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 7:48:35 PM   
obvert

Hi all. It does warm me to see so many comments and heartfelt messages surrounding Joseph's passing. It was sad news to get.

As most know we played a game, but had already been friendly before that, and shared an interest in modelling and other things. We enjoyed a friendship built around a daily challenge, that thing we would wake for and immediately load up to see what problem the other had posed for us to solve. That daily interaction, the sharing of our lives and the battle of wits, led us to feel close over the years in spite of distance and our never having met in person.

I spoke with Joe a few times and heard about his struggle and also his commitment to enjoying his time with his wife, family and friends after being diagnosed. It sounds like he did just that as long as his body would allow. He did have a great attitude about the illness in spite of the prognosis.

A glass raised to Sqz. You will be remembered fondly.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 36
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 8:20:55 PM   
Orm

Rest in Peace.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 37
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 8:40:53 PM   
rustysi

Sad news.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 38
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/20/2018 10:15:52 PM   
Kull

Yes, a real gentleman. Fair winds and following seas, Joseph. You will be missed.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 39
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 2:07:00 AM   
Chickenboy

I wrote a message to his widow today. Her remarkable response follows:

Thank you Andre for that beautiful tribute of Joseph. It warms my heart to hear what you wrote. For many years, I saw him playing that game on the computer, sometimes it drove me crazy, " I just have to run my turn...". But I knew it was something he loved and for the very intelligent man he was, it challenged him mentally....

I treasure these memories that you and others have sent me.. While I am very grateful he is no longer suffering from a horrible disease that robbed him of his body, his skills and dignity, I am just starting to see the impact Joseph had on others... I will print out your tribute and always keep it.

I am heartened that she is taking solace in Joseph's impact on others. When heartfelt words can help others with the grieving process, they should be shared freely. I encourage others to do so if they feel comfortable.

ETA: I will send her the link to this thread so that she can see for herself the brotherhood and fraternity that Joseph was an integral part of.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 12/21/2018 2:09:07 AM >

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 40
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 6:39:12 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Very sad to hear. I didn't know him too well, but I read his (and others' continuation) AAR. When he came on a few weeks ago, it sounded like he was getting better, but perhaps he was being stoic about it all. Anyways, rest in peace and good luck in the next chapter whatever or wherever that might be.

Just saw this thread- awful news. Like you I thought he was getting stronger and had a shot at beating the disease. Especially hard to lose a loved one just before Christmas, as I did when my father passed suddenly, one day before we were to drive the 450 miles to see him.

Loss of Joseph reminds me to treasure the folks we are with. We will miss him!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 41
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 10:58:18 AM   
Encircled

Came across on here as a sound bloke RIP

Top post chickenboy btw

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 42
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 1:02:43 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Insano

Sad news indeed. His place here on Earth will be missed by many of us from all places around the globe. His local friends and family probably don't have a perspective on the global reach through the forum here. Unknown to them his passing will be felt by many people. Our community is the poorer without him.

They know. I'm sure Chickenboy told them. I told his wife today via email, that people from Singapore to South Korea, England to Sweden to the Czech Republic, France and many of the states and some of the provinces, all knew Joseph. That we knew him as a gentleman. That we are a tightknit group who share a love for history and a complex game. That we'd known Joseph for years. That he was a meticulous player who prepared thoroughly and who grumbled good-naturedly when an opponent pulled some tricky calamity on him, just like we all do, and that we will all miss him, especially his former opponents, who are quite hurt at his passing.

An hour later, I received the most beautiful reply from her. She must be quite a lady.

If Andre thinks its fitting, perhaps he can share her email address (at least via PM) so that others of you can write condolences. If you wonder if your words could be meaningful at a time like this, this was how she ended her email:

"Your words warmed my heart... He loved history so much and enjoyed playing very much... Thank you from the bottom of my heart, I will print out your email and treasure it forever..."

Thanks for the follow up, Dan. Sending a nice letter before we get 'busy' with the rest of our lives and move on is definitely the way to go. I've done so this morning as well.

Yes, if anyone wants his widow's email, please PM me.

Thank You Dan. I think all of us are becoming more and more aware of our mortality.

RIP.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 43
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 3:19:58 PM   
Chickenboy

Through the online funeral service site, there is an online obituary available for sending a tribute too. This is preferable to mailing letters or cards directly to the family.

https://serenity.ca/serenity-obituaries/joseph-daniel-sekida/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 44
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 4:09:54 PM   
Sardaukar

RIP

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 45
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/21/2018 9:43:49 PM   
John 3rd

He was only 50. Wow. That...is...frightening...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 46
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/22/2018 6:31:57 AM   
39battalion

Rest in Peace Sqz

We will miss your contributions to the forum and to the game

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 47
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/22/2018 8:57:42 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

He was only 50. Wow. That...is...frightening...

50 is too young. Rest in peace Sqz.
Chuck

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 48
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/22/2018 9:10:40 PM   
PaxMondo

Talked with Joseph just a month ago … so sad to hear this. I wish him peace.

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 49
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/23/2018 1:41:31 AM   
Lawless1

A gentleman and a scholar, he will be missed.

Two types of ships, targets and submarines
Death from below

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 50
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/23/2018 4:27:20 PM   
Big B

Very sad news.
Does anyone know how many of us have passed? It's quite a number now...

(in reply to Lawless1)
Post #: 51
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/23/2018 10:06:05 PM   
dasboot1960

I wish to offer my condolences

Down like a CLOWN!

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 52
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/24/2018 1:52:38 PM   
Macclan5

Condolences.

Best wishes to his family and inner circle as well - from all of us.

Difficult at any time and during this season perhaps more so.

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 53
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/27/2018 10:12:08 AM   
KenchiSulla

I am sorry to hear he has passed. Pancreatic cancer is a merciless killer. My condolences...

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 54
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/27/2018 8:12:54 PM   
Miller

Terrible news. My condolences to all his family.

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 55
RE: SqzMyLemon - 12/31/2018 12:56:29 PM   
Smeulders

It's been years since I've been on this forum. You almost have to wonder why I decided to have another look just as my old opponent has passed. He was a good man. My condolences to the family, and also to his friends in the community here.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 56
RE: SqzMyLemon - 1/1/2019 12:38:29 AM   
Mac Linehan

Gents, Lady -

Am very sorry to hear of Joseph's passing. Although I have not had the privilege of a direct communication, I was very aware of his forum postings.

Sincerely wish the best for his Wife and Family; may God be with you and Joseph.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 57
RE: SqzMyLemon - 1/1/2019 7:20:07 PM   
SheperdN7

My sincerest condolences, may he R.I.P.

Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 58
RE: SqzMyLemon - 1/31/2019 7:49:30 AM   
stuman

I am sorry to hear about his passing. RIP.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 59
RE: SqzMyLemon - 1/31/2019 8:09:28 AM   
traskott

Rest in Peace.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: SqzMyLemon Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI