Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Sealion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> After Action Reports >> Operation Sealion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Sealion - 1/27/2019 4:04:52 PM   
1925frank

I normally play scenarios against the AI or H2H, but I tried my hand at Jason's Operation Sealion. It was loads of fun. I went 14 scenarios deep before I was relieved of command. I highly recommend it.
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/27/2019 4:53:27 PM   
Jason Petho

Oh wow!! Good job!!

You did really good if you got that deep!

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/28/2019 2:08:36 AM   
1925frank

Thanks! I wasn't sure how I was doing.

7 major victories, 3 minor victories, 2 draws, and 2 minor defeats. The last scenario was Streetham, where I suffered a minor defeat. I was camped out with tanks and engineers in front of a 100 VP hex with a pill box but couldn't take it before the scenario ended. Lots of great, innovative, and challenging scenarios. I think there was one night scenario that was played under the old night rules -- being able to see only one hex. What was challenging too was that as the Germans you had to fight with the early war tanks. It was a true pleasure. Thank you so much, Jason.

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/28/2019 6:01:11 AM   
Jason Petho

That's awesome!!

Here are the campaign notes, they will give you an idea how you did.

quote:

Campaign Notes

Eagle Day to the Battle of Canterbury

The Operation Sealion linked campaign game has been designed with a number of different paths to achieve a common goal, giving a high re-playability.

In this LCG, your “core” unit is the 1st battalion of the 2nd Fallschirmjäger (Parachute) Regiment, 7th Flieger Division. In the first scenario, this unit is part of the initial air assault, landing several kilometers behind the planned invasion beaches. The objective is Hawkinge Aerodrome, one of the three airfields slated to be captured during the initial assault. The cover of darkness and the element of surprise are in your favor. Use them wisely.

With the successful capture of Hawkinge Aerodrome (1st scenario), your battalion is to assist one of the landing forces (3rd scenario), on the beaches near Hythe, which includes elements of the 17th Infantry Division and a company of panzer. The main purpose for the battalion’s assistance is to clear a fortified position overlooking Hythe, which includes a number of coastal batteries. Failing to accomplish the mission at Hythe, the German Parachute battalion is to retreat to the town of Lyminge, securing the town (5th scenario). Successful capturing of Lyminge will lead the player to the villages of Etham and Wingmore, (12th scenario) where the player may be counterattacked heavily by British armor and infantry (10th scenario). A very competent player can expect advance to the battle of Canterbury (7th scenario).

An initial loss at Hawkinge Aerodrome will find the player re-assaulting the airfield (2nd scenario). It is assumed that the landing forces are attacking the beach as this second airfield battle is taking place. Once the airfield is secure, the battalion begins to advance into the Brooke River valley to capture the villages of Elham and Wingmore (4th scenario). Once captured, the player finds themselves being counterattacked heavily (10th scenario) and if able to thwart the British offensive, the player will be able to assault Canterbury (7th scenario).

Success at Hythe finds the battalion on Stone Road en route to Canterbury, a strategic rail and road hub, vital for both the British defense and the German advance (6th scenario). This highway is to be cleared of resistance. Roadblocks and hastily placed minefields are to be expected. Once the highway is cleared the battalion will assist in the Battle of Canterbury (7th scenario). If the clearing fails the battalion will have to defend the Lyminge Forest from an armored assault by British forces (8th scenario) before continuing to the Battle of Canterbury (7th scenario).

Battle of Canterbury, Advancing Into the Heart

The city of Canterbury, a mere 28km north of Hythe, is a major road and rail junction which, if captured, will not only provide a network for communications and logistics for the German advance on to London, but also outflank the British garrisons still in the Dover-Deal area.

The area is defended by elements of the 1st London Division, including scattered 2-pounder anti-tank guns, anti-aircraft guns and artillery. Expect the British forces to have laid mines and created improved positions.

The plan is to take your battalion with the available units and advance across the Great Stour to assault the village of Rough Common to the northeast of Canterbury, thereby cutting off the reinforcements expected to strengthen the defenses of Canterbury.

There are three different routes to take upon completion of the Battle of Canterbury (7th scenario): Victory (9th scenario), Draw (13th scenario) and a Loss (11th scenario). A loss give you a second chance in assaulting Rough Common, the main objective in the 7th scenario, and if successful the player advances to clearing the stronghold of Faversham.

Faversham is a small city on the north highway en route to the city of Maidstone. German armor and recon units had bypassed the stronghold and continued on to Maidstone. The stronghold of Faversham includes elements of the 198th Infantry Brigade with attached engineers, artillery and anti-aircraft batteries. It is up to your battalion to clear the strong point (13th scenario). Here the victorious officer will move to the Battle of Maidstone. If not, you will be sent behind the lines to rescue some isolated Storch Raiding parties near Doddington (14th scenario), as well as preventing the Royal Marines of the Deal garrison from escaping to Ironside’s Stopline. Success here brings the battalion to the Battle of Maidstone.

A victory at Canterbury sends the battalion, in “borrowed” transport, along the south highway toward Maidstone. Capturing the village of Harrietsham and Leeds Castle is only secondary to advancing as quickly as possible toward Maidstone (9th scenario). Success sends the player to the Battle of Maidstone, whereas failure brings the battalion to the Doddington scenario.

The Battle of Maidstone

The primary defense of London at Midlands and Bristol was a line consisting of anti-tank obstacles and anti-tank guns covered by pillboxes and trenches. This defensive line, known as Ironside’s Stopline or the GHQ Line, hastily began construction on June 25th. The city of Maidstone is located near the southeastern tip of this line.

Maidstone is nestled on either side of the River Medway, at the junction of two valleys surrounded by low hills and plentiful orchards. This is the avenue of approach the Wehrmacht has decided to take toward London. The sector around Maidstone is protected by elements of the 1st Armoured Division, the 35th Infantry Division with supporting artillery, and elements of the 6th AA Division

The player will play a series of battles in the area. The first battle (15th scenario) calls for your unit to clear the area south of the river of enemy outposts in order to prepare for an assault across the River Medway. Once the south bank has been secured, your battalion, with sufficient supporting units, is to spearhead an assault across the river with the goal of creating a bridgehead (16th scenario). This bridgehead will be critical for the breakout toward London, and will also serve to isolate the city of Maidstone and its Australian garrison. Before such a breakout could occur, your men can expect heavy fighting in Oaken Wood on the hills northwest of Maidstone (18th scenario). A player that successfully negotiates his way through the previous scenarios can expect to find his battalion advancing past the town of Wrotham and Leeds Castle (21st scenario) en route to London.

Failure to complete the above Maidstone battles finds the player facing further battles around that sector. Whether it be guarding newly brought up heavy artillery during the night (17th scenario), re-assaulting the bridgehead across the River Medway (19th scenario), more fighting in Oaken Wood (22nd scenario), or defending against a heavy counterattack on the south side of Maidstone (20th scenario). Clearing the area on the west side of the River Medway around Maidstone (24th scenario) and finally assaulting the city of Maidstone itself (23rd scenario) concludes the Battle of Maidstone.

On to London

Following the Battle of Maidstone your organization finds itself progressing past Wrotham and Leeds Castle (21st scenario) hoping to keep casualties to a minimum. Victory or not, the your battalion will be in the van of German forces north of Sevenoaks en route to the next major line of defense at Croydon. Unfortunately the player runs into an ambush at Otford, a small town a couple kilometers north of Sevenoaks, by elements of the 1st Canadian Division (25th scenario).

Mastery of this scenario leads the player to an assault on Biggin Hill and the airfield to the north of the city (26th scenario). These locations will be defended by more 1st Canadians with supporting artillery, remnants of the battered 1st Armored Division, as well as a few Home Guard and AA units. Victory here leads the player into a combined arms effort of capturing the city of Croydon (27th scenario).

If caught flat-footed by the ambush at Otford, the player will be assigned to attacking a British artillery position in the hills northeast of Otford (30th scenario). Victory sends your unit on a mission to capture the ridge southeast of Croydon (31st scenario), in preparation for an assault the following day on the town itself. The assault from the ridge (32nd scenario), beginning late in the morning of the 22nd, foreshadows the relentless street fighting that your men will experience en route to central London.

Once Croydon is successfully in the hands of the invaders, the push on to the primary objectives (Buckingham Palace and the House of Parliament) will naturally involve your battle-hardened battalion. In order to get there, a bitter route of street fighting is to be expected, especially in the area of Streetham (28th scenario). Expect heavy resistance from the British, they are, of course, fighting for their homeland.

After a grueling day of fighting in the streets, the victorious player will find his veterans in the final scenario of the campaign (29th scenario). Your unit is assigned to create a bridgehead across the River Thames and capture the House of Parliament and Buckingham Palace. No greater honor could fall on a unit in this campaign!

The British forces are at the point of desperation, anything is to be expected.

This concludes the Sealion LCG. I hope it is as enjoyable and entertaining to play as it was fun and interesting to create.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/28/2019 6:10:54 AM   
Jason Petho

Here is the schematic for the LCG

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 1/28/2019 6:12:55 AM >

Post #: 5
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/29/2019 2:43:15 AM   
1925frank

That's incredibly impressive! I had no idea it was that involved.

I lost battalion HQs early in the game, and I tried to replace them with SP reinforcements. I could be mistaken, but I don't think I could use SP replacement points to reinforcement the battalion HQs. They seemed to be just wasted SPs expenditures. I didn't seem to have that problem replacement SPs in infantry platoons. Is there some quirk to using SP replacements? Some dos and don'ts? I gave up trying to restock the battalion HQ after a couple of attempts and focused on simply restocking the infantry platoons.

Post #: 6
RE: Operation Sealion - 1/29/2019 2:51:06 AM   
Jason Petho

Yes, I think it is a known bug. Even worse that the AI always seems to know your HQ is! *shakes fist at the AI*

As you can see, there's lots of paths to take if you really wanted to play all the scenarios over a few different runs of the LCG!

Glad you enjoyed the variety of the scenarios, I was really trying to keep it interesting!

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 7
RE: Operation Sealion - 2/1/2019 2:09:20 AM   
1925frank

On another note, I recently encountered British tanks in a North African scenario that could shoot smoke independently of any smoke allocations in the scenario design. In other words, these British CS tanks could fire smoke endlessly. Is that by design, or is that a bug? In a RS game, I had American armor that fired smoke, but it drew off the scenario limits.

Post #: 8
RE: Operation Sealion - 2/1/2019 2:59:38 AM   
Jason Petho

That is by design.

The American unit has a limitation, but the UK unit does not.

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 9
RE: Operation Sealion - 3/7/2019 10:08:03 PM   
ringoblood

Where have I been. I know i been stuck up in General and the SC:WW2 Forums being a cookie monster. Man this is a gold mine. I play this game to casually but after reading this and looking at this forums again i may start playing this more serious. Thank you Jason for your Knowledge.

Post #: 10
RE: Operation Sealion - 12/21/2019 9:56:01 PM   
1925frank

On my second attempt, I got to London and captured Buckingham Palace. 15 scenarios. I wasn't relieved of command. Along the way I had two minor defeats and three draws.

The London scenario was really cool. Crossing the Thames wasn't easy. Most of the bridges were blown.

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> After Action Reports >> Operation Sealion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI