Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/4/2019 5:50:29 PM   
sanch

Steady reader of your AAR's - You have to keep posting or I'll never know if you find a way to overcome the apparent IJ aircraft edge.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3601
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/4/2019 6:27:44 PM   
Miller

Hi Dan, I still look in on this now and again, but as you know I'm not really one to comment too much in AARs. I know you play mainly at work, but even so I'm amazed how you manage to keep up the turns in multiple games and maintain such pretty and detailed AARs

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3602
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/4/2019 6:34:04 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, Paul, thanks for the note. If I'm lucky, there's enough days left to face off against you and other former opponents somewhere down the road.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3603
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/4/2019 6:38:01 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I've been mulling over taking a break from AAR posting. I noticed months ago that readership is down considerably. That's probably partly due to the Forum population (Bullwinkle, crsutton, Paullus, and even Chickenboy are seldom show up or comment, along with many others) and partly to my saying things, and sticking my nose into things, that haven't endeared me with a lot of good folks. I thought about it more over the weekend. I decided I definitely will see things through TNNBT invasion. If the invasion goes well, that's when I may take a sabbatical for awhile. If the wheels come off during the invasion, I won't take a sabbatical, as things would then really be interesting to readers and it would be bad form to disappear just when I'd taken my lumps. So, Bad Invasion, I stick around. Good invasion, I may take a break for awhile.

As for the other game, I think I will take a break from it for awhile.

Can understand the fatigue, but I hope you don't stop updating it. Always a great read. I do read both sides, so I don't comment much. Thanks for all of the effort you put into the posts.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3604
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/4/2019 9:39:43 PM   
ChuckBerger

Every day, I read the NYTimes, ABC News (Aust)., Quillette, and Canoerebel's AAR. I almost never post, because I read both sides. You spin a great yarn, mate. Hope you keep it up, understand completely if you decide to give it a break.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 3605
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 12:07:30 AM   
T Rav

CR,

I too, read your AARs every day. Always interesting and informative.

Do what you think best for you.
T Rav

(in reply to ChuckBerger)
Post #: 3606
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 12:57:16 AM   
nicwb

+1

I catch up with both AAR's daily and would hate to see them stop but obviously doing two at a time plus actually running the game as well as real life can be pretty time consuming.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 3607
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 2:58:53 AM   
erstad

Another faithful reader, seldom contributor.

That said, with what we pay you for the writing, do what you want to do. Don't feel like you owe anyone anything.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 3608
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 3:41:02 AM   
bobsteele

+, ATM, about 25 or so. I follow this and your opponent's AARs daily, and become despondent if either of you cease activity for longer than seems to be your rhythm. Now, while i fully understand my feelings are of little weight (low post count, no "street cred" in here, I hope you won't stop the AAR on account of a few crosswise exchanges with people. If you want to put the AAR into abeyance because of game fatigue, (or for any other reason) the call, obviously, is yours.

You put the idea out to the forum, so you evidently either expected some feedback, and/or you must have known that even expressing your inclination to suspend the AAR, however temporarily, would elicit some response. You have gotten it, and we are numerous and unanimous in our desire to see frequent! daily! up-to-the minute! updates. We hope you continue the AAR.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 3609
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 3:52:38 AM   
Fishbed

It might come as crude and unsensitive, but I care more about your AAR than global warming right now

< Message edited by Alain-James -- 2/5/2019 3:53:01 AM >

(in reply to bobsteele)
Post #: 3610
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 4:45:43 AM   
waihi

Another seldom poster, but one who has followed your AAR’s since you first started, my breakfast reading will be missed. I can understand your fatigue. Having bought WITP when it first came out, though have not had time to play lately, your postings have kept me in touch.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 3611
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 6:12:54 AM   
pharmy

+1 from someone who hasn't posted in 8 years

(in reply to waihi)
Post #: 3612
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 6:35:39 AM   
palioboy2

Been reading your AARs since the start of the campaign with John. They are a big reason I purchased and learned the game (also a huge source of knowledge and a look into a very strategic mind). I would be very sad to see it end but would understand.

(in reply to pharmy)
Post #: 3613
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 8:01:25 AM   
Barb

Reading this too - I want to see the end-game here :)

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 3614
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 7:45:16 PM   
crsutton

quote:

I've been mulling over taking a break from AAR posting. I noticed months ago that readership is down considerably. That's probably partly due to the Forum population (Bullwinkle, crsutton, Paullus, and even Chickenboy are seldom show up or comment, along with many others) and partly to my saying things, and sticking my nose into things, that haven't endeared me with a lot of good folks. I thought about it more over the weekend. I decided I definitely will see things through TNNBT invasion. If the invasion goes well, that's when I may take a sabbatical for awhile. If the wheels come off during the invasion, I won't take a sabbatical, as things would then really be interesting to readers and it would be bad form to disappear just when I'd taken my lumps. So, Bad Invasion, I stick around. Good invasion, I may take a break for awhile.

As for the other game, I think I will take a break from it for awhile.

Dan,

Just have not been engaged as of late. Been a long time since I joined the forum and I have just slowly been moving on. Might be more active later but might not. Viberpol and I are just getting to 1945 in our second full campaign. Not sure if I will ever play another. Two campaigns have been a ten year investment for me. Plus the years playing WitP and Uncommon Valor. I turned 64 this year and don't know what the future will bring. I have to admit that I also personally decided that I was wedded to my computer way to much and was not getting out much. Attached is a photo of my most recent gift to my aging ego. I expect it will get me out of the house a bit more. (Actually my wife almost put me out of the house when I bought it but that is another story).

Viberpol got me addicted to World of Warships as well which is not very realistic but a hell of a lot of fun and only takes 15 minutes to play a game. I will still check in now and then to catch up on your AARs which are still excellent and fun to read. Just don't think I will be here daily as has been my habit for many years now. Hopefully I will get back to my roots in South Georgia one day and we can sit and have a beer.

Ross

< Message edited by crsutton -- 2/5/2019 7:50:34 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3615
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 8:28:02 PM   
Canoerebel

Ross, your thoughts echo Bullwinkle's in many ways. Man, I miss guys like you; but I understand shifting prioritization as we move along in life.

Your gift to yourself image didn't show up. Try again. And if your new-and-improved resolutions include backpacking, we could shoot for a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. I missed NYGiants when I passed through Hampton, Tennessee a few years ago. Now, I'm less than 500 miles from Maryland. :)

To all you other gents: Thanks for the nice notes and words of encouragement.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3616
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 9:36:16 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Ross, your thoughts echo Bullwinkle's in many ways. Man, I miss guys like you; but I understand shifting prioritization as we move along in life.

Your gift to yourself image didn't show up. Try again. And if your new-and-improved resolutions include backpacking, we could shoot for a stretch of the Appalachian Trail. I missed NYGiants when I passed through Hampton, Tennessee a few years ago. Now, I'm less than 500 miles from Maryland. :)

To all you other gents: Thanks for the nice notes and words of encouragement.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3617
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 9:39:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Do you let your wife ride in the side car or just that massive cat?

P.S. Nice ride. If you can get outdoors and do that, I doubt you'd trade it in for walking up mountains on humid eastern afternoons under a backpack.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 3618
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 10:34:08 PM   
RangerJoe

That is what I call a nice tricycle!

Please keep posting. If someone misunderstood what you posted and did not ask what you meant, then they have a dumb question. That is, one that hasn't been said. If they get offended, maybe they were looking to be a victim. Communication is the key and not doing so does not help. It is like when a couple both spend the last fifty dollars in their checking account. I know a couple that did that . . .

That said, I have learned a lot from your AARs, even when one took a two and a half year break. I have also learned a lot by George but he is reading the other side . . .

I was even thinking of doing an AAR as Allies against the computer. Of course, it would be easy to win on 1 January 1943 . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3619
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/5/2019 11:44:49 PM   
JohnDillworth

Hi Dan.........I always look forward to and read your AAR's. Been really , really busy lately but I always look forward to, and make time for, reading your updates. Frankly, I don't know where you find the time to give such detailed updates. Perhaps you just need a bit of a break? World is a tough place right now. This forum has always been a refuge and your AAR's the best place at that refuge. No pressure

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3620
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 12:20:34 AM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, John.

Over the years, there have been many times readers have shared all kinds of things that have added to my life. Here are a few:

1. John Dillworth recommended With the Old Breed, by MakeeLearn's instructor Eugene Sledge. I got it and spent hours reading it on a Lavender Mountain ledge on a mild, late winter afternoon years ago.
2. crusutton recommended The Good Shepherd by E.F. Forrester. I got it last year and enjoyed reading it very much.
3. A reader whose identity I've now forgotten (forgive me) sent a link to The Band's version of "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down." I've watched that YouTube video a hundred times since then.
4. BBfanboy sent a copy of Powell's mammoth and hugely researched book on the Battle of Chickamauga.
5. Every once in a blue moon, I answer the phone at work and John III's deep voice erupts in cheerful greeting. Those are fun phone calls.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3621
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 12:23:29 AM   
Canoerebel

As for the game, Erik has slowed down considerably.

A month ago (Jan. 8) he asked me to send turns more quickly, as he had more time and wanted to accelerate the pace. I complied...only to have him reduce turn frequency by about half. So I asked him a few weeks later if he really wanted the turns more quickly. "Yup." Then he slowed down even more.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3622
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:36:17 AM   
crsutton

quote:

Do you let your wife ride in the side car or just that massive cat?

P.S. Nice ride. If you can get outdoors and do that, I doubt you'd trade it in for walking up mountains on humid eastern afternoons under a backpack.

Well, I have resolved to get a bit more exercise as well. Got a nice lightweight collapsible hiking staff for Christmas. It would be a shame to not put it to use.

My wife refuses to have anything to do with the sidecar. I told her that it is OK. I will just have to find a girlfriend. Strictly for sidecar rides that is....

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3623
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:38:32 AM   
crsutton

quote:

Thanks, John.

Over the years, there have been many times readers have shared all kinds of things that have added to my life. Here are a few:

1. John Dillworth recommended With the Old Breed, by MakeeLearn's instructor Eugene Sledge. I got it and spent hours reading it on a Lavender Mountain ledge on a mild, late winter afternoon years ago.
2. crusutton recommended The Good Shepherd by E.F. Forrester. I got it last year and enjoyed reading it very much.
3. A reader whose identity I've now forgotten (forgive me) sent a link to The Band's version of "The Night They Drove Ol' Dixie Down." I've watched that YouTube video a hundred times since then.
4. BBfanboy sent a copy of Powell's mammoth and hugely researched book on the Battle of Chickamauga.
5. Every once in a blue moon, I answer the phone at work and John III's deep voice erupts in cheerful greeting. Those are fun phone calls.

Well here is some good news. Rick Atkinson told me that the first of his new trilogy on the American Revolution is due to hit the book stores around May. If it is as good as his WWII trilogy then we should be in for a treat.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3624
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 8:36:07 AM   
JohnDillworth

If anyone is interested I can give my highest recommendation to a book from the last couple of years called "American War". It is an entirely plausible work of fiction about the next American Civil war. Climate change is the background but it really tells the story of the people involved in a civil war. Sides are roughly the same as last time. A ripping good read that actually gave me a better understanding on how hte poeple of hte south may have felt about the first American Civil War.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3625
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:11:36 PM   
Miller

quote:

Hey, Paul, thanks for the note. If I'm lucky, there's enough days left to face off against you and other former opponents somewhere down the road.

I sure we will one day. My current game has been on hold for a few months and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms....

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3626
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:13:18 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

As for the game, Erik has slowed down considerably.

A month ago (Jan. 8) he asked me to send turns more quickly, as he had more time and wanted to accelerate the pace. I complied...only to have him reduce turn frequency by about half. So I asked him a few weeks later if he really wanted the turns more quickly. "Yup." Then he slowed down even more.

You know, right, that you two can run a two days turn (or more). It's a different game though, more challenging and have to think and plan more in advance. Very challenging and fun!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3627
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:14:45 PM   
adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

I sure we will one day. My current game has been on hold for a few months and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms....

The one against Mr Kane, really?

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 3628
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:18:22 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

Thanks, John.

With the Old Breed is the only book that I have read entirely in the outdoors. I read it over a few days, while sitting under a tree on the University of Montevallo campus. It was right before the semester was to start, I would read for hours in the morning, take a break then do a afternoon reading. I even saw Sledgehammer walking around while doing this.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 2/6/2019 2:19:57 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3629
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/6/2019 2:25:08 PM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

quote:

The one against Mr Kane, really?

Yes he is having health issues so obviously that comes before the game, hopefully he will be back soon.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 3630
Page:   <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  119 120 [121] 122 123   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI