Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cobra not firing back v Hind

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Cobra not firing back v Hind Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/12/2019 6:59:09 PM   
MTTODD

In eyes,ears and teeth scenario has situation where Hind kept firing at my Cobra, which did not fire back at Hind, but instead
fired at ground vehicles when they appeared.

Would of thought it would of made more sense for Cobra to think of survival and fire back at Hind ?

Any help appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/12/2019 7:42:40 PM   
KungPao

what's the distance between your AH-1 and Mi-24?

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 2
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/12/2019 7:47:11 PM   
CapnDarwin

That was my question too. The Hind's gun out ranges the Cobra about 2 to 1 off the top of my head (depends on how each helo configured, but the Hinds cannons have some reach). See if you can grab a screen shot. Thanks.

< Message edited by CapnDarwin -- 2/12/2019 8:11:06 PM >

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 3
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/12/2019 9:09:12 PM   
MTTODD

Hi,

Thanks for replies. Did not save at that point, but I think it might of been four hexes.

But even if that is the reason, should not the Cobra retreat out of range, rather than just sit there to get shot down ?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/13/2019 7:14:24 PM   
MTTODD

Any thoughts on my question ?

quote:

But even if that is the reason, should not the Cobra retreat out of range, rather than just sit there to get shot down ?

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 5
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/13/2019 11:37:03 PM   
CapnDarwin

Hard to tell what is going on in this case. The player sees firing lines, but that may not mean the unit saw/noticed the fire. In most cases recon platforms will jump away, but an armed platform may be less likely to if it is engaging the enemy. Most shoot downs occur when the target never sees the threat.

< Message edited by CapnDarwin -- 2/13/2019 11:38:15 PM >

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 6
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/14/2019 5:31:34 PM   
MTTODD

Hi,

Well the Cobra did not fire at the Hind, but did at the ground forces.

Originally you said the Cobra might not fire back, because of weapons range.

Which is fair enough, but why just wait to get shot down by the Hind ?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 2/16/2019 7:33:48 PM   
Zakalwe101

Perhaps this has more to do with the AI deciding that the AH1 has more chance to get a kill on the ground target than the Hinds, I've seen this where Tank units fire at MRC targets that are further away than the T80U unit right in front of them. I don't think the AI deals very well the concept of what poses the greatest threat to the firer, it tends shoot at what it has the best chance of killing.

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 8
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 3/8/2019 2:08:24 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakalwe101

Perhaps this has more to do with the AI deciding that the AH1 has more chance to get a kill on the ground target than the Hinds, I've seen this where Tank units fire at MRC targets that are further away than the T80U unit right in front of them. I don't think the AI deals very well the concept of what poses the greatest threat to the firer, it tends shoot at what it has the best chance of killing.

That sounds about right.

IMHO, game would be much improved if preliminary setup of forces included some UI elements to specify to each unit some things like "stance" or "tactical doctrine." For example: AD unit, set "TD" to "ONLY fire at aircraft" . . .

Taking away direct player control of weapons use, and elements to reduce C&C integrity and extent are great. But "Hold" and "Screen" are just NOT ENOUGH IMHO.

Did I mention this is my HUMBLE opinion

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Zakalwe101)
Post #: 9
RE: Cobra not firing back v Hind - 3/12/2019 12:43:27 AM   
IronMikeGolf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakalwe101

That sounds about right.

IMHO, game would be much improved if preliminary setup of forces included some UI elements to specify to each unit some things like "stance" or "tactical doctrine." For example: AD unit, set "TD" to "ONLY fire at aircraft" . . .

Taking away direct player control of weapons use, and elements to reduce C&C integrity and extent are great. But "Hold" and "Screen" are just NOT ENOUGH IMHO.

Did I mention this is my HUMBLE opinion

We are putting such things in Southern Storm. The unit-level tactical AI will be enriched.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Cobra not firing back v Hind Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI