Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 2:03:35 AM   
Canoerebel

"..jaws of Death..."

Erik couldn't complete the turn. Perhaps he had a headache. Perhaps his other games took up most of his time. More likely (or I have to assume so) he's spent hours evaluating options, making plans, and beginning to fine-tune orders for his ships and aircraft. His aircraft are my biggest concern, but what gives me the willies is the thought of a thousand ships mixing in with mine, causing havoc, scattering them, and breaking up DS's CAP.

I think Erik will make his plans on the assumptions that the Allies are on the final approach now to China and that I'll be emboldened by today's air battles. So I'll cross him up by turning around to invade Iriomote and to take station hard by Formosa. I hope he'll have loaded up all his big airfields, so that I'll have to face a thousand or more from Formosa and coastal China, while avoiding or reducing the influence of Kyushua and southern Korea. Depending on what happens over the next day or two, I can then proceed to China or with my tertiary plan, which is a good one too.

But I won't make final decisions until I can look at the map - to see where my guys are, where the bulk of his air strikes came from, whether he loaded up Formosa, how close Iriomote is to my transports (6th Marine Div. is 100% prepped), etc.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3691
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 2:25:42 AM   
T Rav

Wheels within wheels. I wouldn't want to plan a game against either one of you. It would be over before I knew what hit me...

T Rav

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3692
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 2:34:37 AM   
ChuckBerger

Enjoying this immensely. You two will have fun reading each others' AARs when this is all done.

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 3693
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 2:36:28 AM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Wheels within wheels. I wouldn't want to plan a game against either one of you. It would be over before I knew what hit me...

T Rav

"...I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures..."
- Ezekiel 1

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 3694
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 4:47:16 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I haven't had this much fun since GreyJoy invaded Hokkaido.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3695
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 7:56:39 AM   
Barb

You are going straight for the heart of the beast - but given the condition his forces are in (air + naval) this may be too bold to attempt. Anyway while China could be tempting target it will give you space to expand till he retreats from Indochina, but then you will be "boxed in" and forced to keep your ground troops committed till Soviets/Commonwealth arrive.

I believe you should keep to the Island hopping (The herd gives you the mobility after all) - get Formosa, some of the Ryukus for forward bases, maybe even Luzon. You will keep the mobility, you will get the bases, less ground commitment, cut off his LOC to the south bar ground via china or sea via Mariana-Home Islands. Once established you will have opportunity to attack north toward Japan or speed up reconquest of the south (worth lot of points too).

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 3696
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 12:30:54 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

T Rav

"...I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures..."
- Ezekiel 1

Quo Vadis?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3697
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 1:53:02 PM   
Canoerebel

Yah, quo vadis!

Erik sent a courtesy note last night that he wouldn't be able to finish the turn and send it last night, but that he'd send it this morning, his time. It's now mid afternoon his time; no turn. It could be he's at the movies, playing soccer, or taking his wife to lunch. But I'm assuming he's pouring over the map and making many clicks.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3698
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 3:53:29 PM   
pontiouspilot

Beware the slow train a comin!! I'm as anxious waiting as you

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3699
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 5:39:17 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

TNNBT: Just received and started running the turn. This is early in the a.m. search phase, with some thoughts and locations noted.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 3700
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 5:43:12 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

TNNBT: Erik sorties KB.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3701
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 5:46:44 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

TNNBT: LBA flying the opening attack mission. There are alot of missions during the turn, so I'll probably just post totals later.

Oh....this mission is against the TF that separated and went out on a lark. It's covered by LRCAP but will take a pounding during the day.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/13/2019 5:47:38 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3702
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 5:51:50 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

TNNBT: Strikes flown against a number of Allied combat TFs ahead of Death Star. No hits are scored, including one fairly large strike that targeted CL Gambia.

This strike comes from Shanghai, which is important information.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3703
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 6:09:28 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

There was a massive sync bug with remarkably different combat scenarios. As a result, I didn't see any of the "real" combat between the strike packages and DS. So what I know is mostly from the Combat Report.

TNNBT: The Intel screen shows that enemy air losses were considerably higher than I had estimated yesterday. Allied losses are heavier too. I think, when I open the next screen, I'll find that a lot of the losses were to search dive bombers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3704
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 6:15:30 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

Air Loss Totals: Allied losses are mostly fighters (shoot!). I'll have to move some squadrons around and see if I can bring in more from Wakkanai/Kushiro. I hope I can.

Enemy losses are heavy. Kamikazes not really involved (though the sync bug leaves me a bit unsure). Assuming this is mostly KB, that may or may not affect his carrier ops. He might be able to bring in a strong second team (his pilots must've been training forever and forever). But it might take him a few days to get things completely sorted and air worthy again. I hope so.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3705
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 6:34:20 PM   
Canoerebel

5/6/45

TNNBT: Uh oh! Two Allied carrier TFs reacted. That's a huge concern - the possibility it'll happen again and how to get them back into the fold now. That's about the scariest thing possible. I wonder how many combat TFs Erik will sortie that way tomorrow?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3706
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 6:38:46 PM   
Canoerebel

I've got a meeting, so last post for awhile.

The Allies won a victory in the East China Sea. Things were quite in Malaya. But what a scary free-for-all. Lots of decisions to make, including whither DS & The Herd, how to regather the reacting CV TFs, and what to detach to protect them.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3707
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 7:35:12 PM   
Lecivius

This is just a question, not a complaint, a whine, or a gripe, or anything along those lines. But isn't putting a lot of merchies up in all those TF's just a bit off? A few pickets is one thing, but to my totally ignerrant eye this looks like an attempt to bleed off attacks

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3708
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 7:50:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

This is just a question, not a complaint, a whine, or a gripe, or anything along those lines. But isn't putting a lot of merchies up in all those TF's just a bit off? A few pickets is one thing, but to my totally ignerrant eye this looks like an attempt to bleed off attacks

No doubt it is, but if the RL Japanese were faced with the same strategic situation and still had lots of merchantmen sitting around, I would expect them to do the same. CR's host of invasion shipping (including 4 million! supply) will do the same.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 3709
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 9:19:51 PM   
Canoerebel

Flooding the zone can certainly create issues, but I think it's fair to do.

I did a version of this during the Siege of Shikuka. I thought it was perfectly legit but there were some really nasty comments by a few readers.

In this case, I am not flooding the zone. The sitution is different. At Shikuka, the situation demanded every sacrifice possible - and that's what the Allies would've done in the real war, had they been so improvident as to stick their head in such a noose. But now, flooding the zone would create an unfair environment. Now, if my side gets totally destroyed, I might then be forced to take extreme countermeasures. But for now, The Herd is grouped carefully (except for the occasional TF that goes wandering off against orders). I do have lots of combat TFs out there, mostly two- to four-ship TFs but a couple of DDs that ended up alone when refueling a few days back.

Erik is in a different position. He's desperate and in "kamikaze" territory. So he utilizes every asset to inflict injury and stave off defeat.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3710
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 10:49:18 PM   
brian800000

This is really exciting. I'm definitely going to miss this if CR stops updating. I can still read obvert's AAR, but I'd miss the perspective of a fellow Georgian.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3711
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/13/2019 10:52:37 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Zoiks! Two Allied CV TFs reacted!
This is my worst nightmare - that
it happen, and that I now have
to hope and pray I can pull DS
back together.

Globular Cluster...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3712
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 1:31:05 AM   
Canoerebel

5/7/45

SEAC: Things are going well in Thailand and at Georgetown. The Allies are moving forward quickly, even while I search for indications that the enemy may turn and lash out (the biggest concern would be 2,000 aircraft at Singers, overwhelming RN DS).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3713
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 2:09:06 AM   
Canoerebel

In the, "Well, duh!" department, I think I spurred reaction by having my carrier dive bombers set to Naval Search range 10. I got lots of good intel about the disposition of enemy units, but at a cost of triggering the reaction.

Since I know where KB is and have a general idea about combat ships, I'm standing down all search tomorrow. Hopefully that will allow the carriers to reunite.

Alot of my AEs replenished carrier sorties, expending 1000 ops points in the process. So DS isn't capable of much movement, in all probability.

The damaged CVE has 64 FLT and the other two categories are low. She is by herself now and will steam west towards Iriomote. She won't survive, but I'll try to nurse her.

I've just about decided to move SW a hex or two, hoping to throw off Erik' vector guesses. He'll try for surface intercepts, darn it.

I have 3,000 clicks to do, mainly:

1. Resetting all TFs to home port Kume Jima (thus eliminating low-fuel calculations by the AI)
2. Seeking to maximize carrier space for aircraft.
3. Setting a course for DS and then configuring all the ships (especially the small combat TFs and subs) to surround her, especially from the main-threat vector for KB/combat TFs).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3714
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 3:22:30 AM   
RangerJoe

"Exit stage left" as one cartoon character would put it would be a good option. It would force the KB to follow you and leave the safety of the Home Island airfields and the railways to move damaged aircraft. If his air follows you, they may have reduced numbers flying due to both the transfer distance, fatigue, lack of aviation support, and damaged aircraft. I agree with the island hopping but if you can put a roadblock or two on the Indochinese coast, breaking both the railways and the grey roads, you can really slow down the massive army coming back.

You wouldn't by happy chance have any submarines loaded with mines that could lay minefields in the open ocean in front of the KB and the small fry? They may not do much but they could thin the numbers of unarmored enemy ships. I know that the minefields won't last long, three days is maximum, I think, losing about one third each day. Night search could also help the subs by having detection on the targets.

If you can swing it, a fast transport to the hex on the other side of Mersing would cut off the rail line to Singapore. A single sub transport loaded with troops could do it as well.

If you don't think that the CVE will make it, put the pilots into the Reserve if you can.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3715
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 3:27:52 AM   
Canoerebel

I have about a dozen minelaying subs, though not quite close enough to place them between my carriers and his combat ships.

I'll cut the last railroad to Singers tomorrow or the day after, long before fast transport or sub transport could make it (I have a bunch of troops prepped for Mersing, with that in mind).

THanks for the reminder re: the CVE. It aint gonna make it.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3716
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 3:35:21 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us . . . they can’t get away this time”
– Lewis B. Chesty Puller, USMC

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/these-14-chesty-puller-quotes-show-why-marines-will-love-and-respect-him-forever

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3717
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 3:47:22 AM   
Canoerebel

Colonel John Croxton in a dispatch to General George Thomas during the Battle of Chickamauga: "Which of the four or five enemy brigades in my front is the one I'm supposed to capture?"

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3718
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 6:14:51 AM   
BBfanboy

Note that Patani, the base across the peninsula from your troops exiting Georgetown is NOT on the rail line! Of course you can have a unit or two take it and another unit sit on the rail line in the next hex.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3719
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 2/14/2019 8:26:38 AM   
Canoerebel

My guys are headed to the hex south of Patani, which is on the rail line.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3720
Page:   <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  122 123 [124] 125 126   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI