Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 24-25 Feb 44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 24-25 Feb 44 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 24-25 Feb 44 - 12/21/2018 2:31:18 AM   
BBfanboy

I think you need boots on the ground to trigger Kamikazes (not positive though). I thought the 20-hex-by-sea rule only applies to the home islands. Saigon would have to be invaded by the Allies to trigger the Kamikazes. Same for Okinawa (either base), or Hong Kong.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1171
RE: 24-25 Feb 44 - 12/21/2018 4:30:32 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I think you need boots on the ground to trigger Kamikazes (not positive though). I thought the 20-hex-by-sea rule only applies to the home islands. Saigon would have to be invaded by the Allies to trigger the Kamikazes. Same for Okinawa (either base), or Hong Kong.

I sure hope you're right on the "boots on the ground" theory BB, but the 20 hexes do apply here - from the manual:

7.4.2.3 KAMIKAZES
Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced by sea only) of either
Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon. However, these will never activate before January 1, 1944.

And I'm assuming the "own" a base includes flipping Singkep as that means its under Allied control - L_S_T has been quiet about it so far....but he'll let me know soon enough. One way or the other!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1172
RE: 24-25 Feb 44 - 12/21/2018 5:56:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I sure hope you're right on the "boots on the ground" theory BB, but the 20 hexes do apply here - from the manual:

7.4.2.3 KAMIKAZES
Kamikazes are activated if the Allies own a base within 15 hexes (traced by sea only) of either
Tokyo, Takao, or Saigon. However, these will never activate before January 1, 1944.

And I'm assuming the "own" a base includes flipping Singkep as that means its under Allied control - L_S_T has been quiet about it so far....but he'll let me know soon enough. One way or the other!

I'll watch for the first onslaught. It is also possible the IJ player will take the time to try and train up his kamikazes a bit so they have a better chance of hitting something. That would delay things a bit.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1173
RE: 24-25 Feb 44 - 12/24/2018 11:24:21 AM   
Rafid

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

7.4.2.3 KAMIKAZES

This interesting thread on the subject says that the base needs to have airfield size 1 or higher. There is however no mention of LCUs and I never heard about this. The thread also explains why the manual says 15 hexes while the correct value is 20 in anything after patch 2 (smaller hexes in AE).

< Message edited by Rafid -- 12/24/2018 11:25:16 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1174
RE: 26-27 Feb 44 - 12/30/2018 5:21:55 PM   
IdahoNYer

26-27 Feb 44

Highlights – Sub bags another CV! Good strike on shipping in and around Palembang. Also, L_S_T confirms Kamis activated

Jpn ships sunk:
CV: 1 (Soryu)
PB: 2
SC: 1
TK: 3 (small)
xAK: 3
xAKL: 1

Allied ships sunk: None

Air loss:
Jpn: 86
Allied: 25

Subwar:
Jpn: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit
Allies: 7 Attacks, 4 ships hit (CV, PC, xAK, xAKL sunk)

Jpn Amph Inv: None

Allied Amph Inv: None

Bases lost:
Changteh (China)
Shaoyang (China - flipped)

Bases Liberated:
Dobo (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: KB sorites from Talaud-eilanden, and is immediately found and attacked by SS Pintado; KB, along with Battle Line, appears to have sortied in anticipation of US Amphib in Biak area.

West Coast/Admin: NSTR.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, as the Noemfoor Amphib and supporting TFs withdraw back to Hansa Bay, the KB does in fact sortie from Talaud-eilanden to the SE….apparently to ambush that Noemfoor Amphib at its intended target. So, fortunately, I aborted the amphib - AND - got very lucky with the ONE sub patrolling SE of Talaud found and engaged the KB, hitting CV Soryu with 3 torps in each of two attacks, sinking her (replay showed Hiyo, but Tracker says Soryu - and a/c “destroyed on the ground” totals Soryu’s complement). I had a few subs patrolling north of Talaud along the PI eastern coast as I didn’t expect a sortie until a landing took place. So now the KB is once again north of New Guinea, posing a threat to US shipping and bases. More subs are of course vectored in, CAP on bases increased, and Heavy bombers withdrawn from Hollandia just in case a bombardment or raid is in the cards. With Noemfoor cancelled, and other landings on hold until the US CVs can support, the most dangerous option for the KB would be a major attack on a US base - especially Manus with the Fleet Train established there. But that would be a very costly attack. Still, much shipping and naval assets are gathered and sent to Kiriwina Island in the Solomon Sea just in case the KB hits a major base. So, it will be interesting to see what L_S_T does with the KB, and see if my subs can continue their luck north of New Guinea.

In SWPAC, the Lautem reinforcement convoy completes offloading and heads for Darwin without any interference. The CVE and CA TFs will break off and rendezvous with the Endeh Amphib off the Australian coast and head toward target. CV Bunker Hill TF (CV, 2CVL, DDs) and BB Iowa TF (2BB, CL, DDs) will depart Exmouth and head to rendezvous with the CV TFs heading in from the Indian Ocean - with a little synchronization luck, all TFs will be in position to begin landings in about 3-4 days. Meanwhile, B-24s concentrate on hitting Ambon AF to keep it closed, but bombing results were poor and Flak heavy - two B-24s lost and will have to hit the target again next turn. No Jpn air based at Ambon, but Makassar is another story, and it will get the attention of B-24s at night, still a bit too far for effective fighter cover just yet.

In China, the withdrawal near Changsa continues, and so far, the Chinese are staying ahead of the pursuing IJA troops, which occupied the abandoned city of Changteh and Shaoyang flipped to Jpn control. In the Nanning area, I get surprised by an IJA shock attack from part of the 1st Tank Division which gets across the river against a Chinese Corps north of the base, with neither side taking appreciable losses. Still the IJA are across the intended Nanning defensive line along the river, and perhaps this is a bigger threat than I initially thought - so will have to increase some reinforcements toward the Nanning area, possibly to include some Allied tank units. This could get ugly!

In Burma, the second bridgehead crossing should take place next turn with three divisions coming across. Air support continues to hit the defenders although with poor results, and the bombers will expand their attacks to Moulmein as troops appear to also be pulling out. So far, so good.

In the IO, the Palembang air offensive continues with good results. AF remains closed and more oil and refinery industry are being damaged. Slow but steady progress. Attacks on the port are also successful, sinking a pair of what were likely already damaged xAKs. Will continue the attacks as ground troops begin to their final approach toward Palembang. Lastly, TBF sorties from Praboemoelih engage a number of small convoys in and around Palembang, sinking 2PBs, 3 small TKs and an xAK and damaging a number of other ships before running out of torpedoes. Will reinforce Praboemoelih with a squadron of Helldivers and continue the naval strikes again as targets still remain trying to get fuel out of Palembang before Allied troops close in on the base itself. At sea, reinforcement and supply convoys continue to land troops and supplies at Benkoelen and Padang without interference, CVEs remain at Benkoelen providing support.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 12/30/2018 5:22:30 PM >

(in reply to Rafid)
Post #: 1175
RE: 28-29 Feb 44 - 1/1/2019 1:28:45 AM   
IdahoNYer

28-29 Feb 44

Highlights – Leap Year ’44 goes fairly quietly; Moulmein bridgehead expands and US LBA does well against shipping at Palembang.

Jpn ships sunk:
PB: 2
TK: 2 (small)
xAK: 3

Air loss:
Jpn: 31
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 3 ships hit (TK sunk, 2xAK dam)

Bases lost: None

Bases Liberated: None

SIGINT/Intel: KB sighted near Peleliu, presumably heading north.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, with the KB no longer an immediate threat, shipping returns to normal operations and will start looking to organize assets to amphib at Sorong in the coming weeks. Pretty much quiet all around this turn as air rests.

In SWPAC, Ambon is hit by heavies with good effect although AA was heavy. Two B-24s failed to return but the AF was reported to be non-operational. No CAP and no enemy planes destroyed. B-24s also hit Makassar, but at night - results were good considering the night attack, 4 Lilys and 4 Jakes destroyed but the AF is still operational. Still too far for a daylight strike, but recon indicates that the fighters have now moved out, so perhaps L_S_T has determined its vulnerable and has pulled back. If so, mission accomplished and the Endeh landings should go in without much threat of LBA. Endeh Amphib TF rendezvous with the CVE and CA TFs, and stages about 4 hexes off Endeh, ready to make the approach in next turn. Not expecting any defenders, and the two Bdes and support are of course probably overkill. CV TFs from the Indian Ocean have also rendezvoused with the Bunker Hill and Iowa TFs, and I have reorganized the fleet - now 3 CV TFs, each with about 3-4 CVs and 2-3 CVLs, 2BBs, 6 Cruisers and DDs. I think that will give me a better option to detach one CV TF for refueling, and still maintain combat capabilities. To that, one CV TF will head for Exmouth to refuel and replace some Corsairs, while the remaining two TFs and support will provide distant cover to the Endeh landings. Although I don’t think the CV move from the IO to SWPAC has been spotted yet due to weather, I’m sure the move won’t be a total surprise to L_S_T. Lastly, troops reach Dili from Lautem and will rest at least one turn before beginning their assault. Dili is a level 4 AF, so gaining it will have an immediate effect to project LBA in the region.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, the second bridgehead crossing goes across with good results, 2100 IJA lost for 100 Allied. Looks like the IJA is in full retreat from Moulmein and heading east toward Thailand. LBA will hit the troops moving, and BB TF (2BB, CLAA, DDs) will bombard Moulmein to cause as much friction as possible to this withdrawal. As expected, the Allied advance once across the river is slow due to terrain, and it will still be a long slog - recon is now shifting to the Rahaeng area in Thailand to begin to determine what the next IJA defensive line looks like. I’ve got two Para Bdes in reserve in Rangoon that could - if the situation permits - be used to assist the advance across the river near Rahaeng.

In the IO, with two divisions fully assembled, troops begin the march to the Palembang hex, with another division plus following on. Stacking is limited to 40k in Palembang, and of course, L_S_T has about 40k troops there. Airpower will now switch from primarily hitting the base (port, AF and city attacks) to hitting ground troops. Figure it’s going to take at least a week to assemble the ground troops and give airpower the chance to disrupt the defenders a bit. Strike a/c at Praboemelih had good success hitting what’s likely the last attempt to ship fuel out of Palembang, sinking two small TKs and two PBs. They will continue to interdict shipping that comes in range. With the refinery still capable and generating supply, isolating Palembang isn’t an option - I’m thinking this is going to look like Chungking, which isn’t a good thought. At sea, its quiet, so far no enemy air attacks on shipping off Sumatra although it’s still a target rich environment off the Sumatran coast. Will continue to send APA/AKAs to SWPAC as they are freed up, leaving at least the capability to conduct a division plus amphib - primarily with British LSI(L)s augmented by a few US APA/AKAs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1176
Feb 44 Summary - 1/3/2019 3:04:31 AM   
IdahoNYer

Feb 44 Summary

Probably one of the best months of the campaign so far! Although no single decisive major battle took place, continued Allied advances caused a prolonged, attritional campaign resulting in heavy Japanese losses to relatively few Allied, especially off Sumatra. Solid gains in both IO and SWPAC, Burma is moving forward again, but advances in SOPAC were delayed somewhat and Palembang still remains as an IJA bastion in Sumatra. The IJN counters to thwart advances in the IO, SWPAC and SOPAC were all timed a bit too late to derail the advance and although delayed the advance in both SWPAC and SOPAC, resulted in heavy loss - although the massed sub attacks off Sumatra were worrisome, and both subs and LBA inflicted naval losses. China has become active once again, and not in a good way as the IJA resumes offensive operations. Naval losses for the month were in the Allies favor again thanks mainly to the subs; the IJN lost 2CV, 1 CLAA, 3DD, 12MTB, 3SS and 6SSX compared to the Allies losing only 1CL, 5DE, 2SS and 15PT overall. In the air, the highly sought after 2-1 loss ratio was greatly exceeded, due to a month of heavy, but largely ineffective LBA attacks vs. the Allied landings in Sumatra; losses were 1884 for Jpn to 675 Allied. Also, on perhaps a relatively minor note, for the first time since the dark early days of the campaign, Allied VP totals exceeded Japan’s. It might swing back and forth for a while, but it’s definitely going in the right direction long term. Lastly, and which might have the longest lasting effect, I managed to trigger the Kamikazes all too early when the island of Singkep off Sumatra “flipped”.

INTEL: After Soryu was sunk, the KB has again vanished. No trace. While I wasn’t too surprised that the KB was eventually committed to the Sumatran Campaign - although I did expect it much earlier - I was a bit surprised that it would again try an ambush on the north coast of New Guinea - as other attempts had similar results…loss of CVs to subs for no gain. So now the KB is less two more CVs and nothing gained from their efforts. That said, I have no idea what will “trigger” the KB’s commitment now. I’m guessing either a landing in the Marianas or the Philippines which are still a few months away. The combination of LBA with a massed sub attack as what happened off Sumatra will likely be combined with the introduction of Kamikazes and the KB is the most likely, and the most dangerous if L_S_T can pull off the synchronization. The wild card is probably fuel - just how much is available for a major IJN sortie?

SUBWAR: Subs are seemingly more effective against the IJN CVs, or my luck has just gotten a whole lot better. There are more subs available, no question. Both Katsuragi and Soryu succumbed to sub attacks during KB “raids”. Allied sub drivers still have the most dangerous job as Japanese ASW a/c are still the sub’s primary scourge. On the other side, L_S_T’s massing of conventional subs and mini subs converging during an amphib landing was dangerous tactic that had some successes.

West Coast/USA/Rear Areas: Fighter production increases to 872 in Mar with the introduction of the P-51B and the P-47D25 replacing the P-47D. Another good month in the air provides replacement aircraft available for most frontline fighters and for the bombers, only the B-25 series is, as usual, in short supply. Pilot pools are in pretty good shape, although most of the US Army’s trainers (restricted Fourth Air Force squadrons) are slated to withdraw at the end of month. On the naval side, the fleet is stronger than it has ever been, with all CV/CVLs and fast BBs avail and consolidated with the exception of CV Essex, still in repair in England.

NOPAC. NSTR.

CENPAC. I expect it to remain quiet in March, although there is a slight, and I mean slight, possibility of beginning offensive amphib operations west of Truk very late in the month, but that is more likely to happen in April/May.

SOPAC. Again, subs thwarted a KB raid, sinking Soryu shortly after the KB sortied. However, that raid did decide the outcome of the Noemfoor landings - it was cancelled. Noemfoor was more of a holding attack and to progress LBA forward, but in the end, I decided it wasn’t needed. Instead, SOPAC will land at Sorong, bypassing the well defended Noemfoor/Biak area. That landing should happen in the latter half of March, depending on how quickly the upcoming SWPAC landings take, and will signal the transition of the fleet back to Pacific Ocean waters.

SWPAC. Good progress in SWPAC, with the eastern Banda Sea islands secured and providing airstrips to extend fighter and bomber range that was able to suppress the primary Japanese airbases of Ambon, Boela, Kendari and even threatening Makassar. The landing at Lautem was a risk as LBA fighter cover was limited, but mitigated by CVEs. I was lucky to catch wind of the KB sortie back to counter the reinforcing of Lautem, pulling the CVEs and other support clear - and again, subs did well crippling Katsuragi during that sortie. Bombers finished her off while taking refuge in Kendari. The KB sortie did delay operations for about a week, but with the KB north of New Guinea, offensive operations resumed, only with the support of CVEs. Now with the Fleet in Theater, landings will go in at Endeh to secure fighter AFs for the next major advance. Securing the southern half of Celebes will be the focus in March, which will involve some preliminary landings and ultimately division plus size amphib operations. Troops are all well prepped already, and it’s just a question of logistics (and assault shipping availability) and whether or not the KB returns to provoke a fight. Securing the Kendari-Makassar area should effectively isolate the eastern end of the Java Sea and directly threaten the oil refineries on Borneo.

China. Sadly, IJA offensive operations have resumed in China, taking the eastern tip of the Allied “Kweiyang Line” at Changsa all too easily. Worse, a new offensive on the SW portion of the line, near Nanning, looks to be gaining momentum and is more powerful than originally thought. Still, the Chinese troops are now pretty well supplied along the entire front, and there are a few Allied “corset” troops available, as well as some limited airpower. Expect continued pressure in March, and with some luck can make the IJA gains costly.

Burma. The long delayed Moulmein offensive is now underway, and so far, so good. Troops are across the river at minimal cost, and the IJA is in full retreat - so I doubt there will be any major encirclement or quick exploitation here. Goal is to continue the advance into Thailand, but I think L_S_T is well versed at reading the tea leaves and that option will likely be heavily blocked. Malaya will also now be invested from the north, with the threat of triggering Kamikazes removed, there is little reason why not to advance south. Still, the focus will remain into Thailand and the open ground east of Bangkok to threaten Indochina. That’s the long term goal anyway.

IO. The Sumatra campaign continues to be THE defining campaign so far - despite the lack of any major single naval engagement since landing at Sabang. Landings at Benkoelen and Oosthaven triggered major responses that included massed LBA attacks and massed sub attacks, and although late, the IJN looking for a fight. That fight was denied by the USN which were at a low ebb from the month of countering constant LBA attacks - which was probably what L_S_T was hoping for to give him the edge in a CV fight. Instead, both fleets seemed to stare each other down for a turn or two before the KB withdrew back into the Java Sea. Overall, the Allied Fleet did well against everything L_S_T could throw at it, with minimal losses sustained. On the ground, troops slowly but surely closed on the prize of Palembang, to find it heavily reinforced by IJA. By month’s end, troops are set to close in for the final fight at Palembang as airpower attempts to reduce the defenders. Much concern here as Palembang looks an awful lot like Chungking - a heavily defended, well fortified, well supplied redoubt. With the Fleet departed to SWPAC, and not expected to return any time soon, focus for ground and air forces are to secure Palembang, while naval assets keep the supplies flowing into Sumatra. Construction engineers are focused on expanding available ports and airfields, to include prepping a number of airfields for B-29s, the first of which should be arriving in Theater before month’s end. Assault shipping will be gradually reduced as most US APA/AKAs head out of Theater. Lastly, and most significantly, troops taking Djambi apparently triggered the island of Singkep off the coast to “flip” to Allied control which triggers the Kamikaze capability. Was really hoping to avoid triggering Kamis for as long as possible, although I’m not exactly sure what advantage that will provide. I was hoping not to find out for a few more months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1177
RE: 1-2 Mar 44 - 1/8/2019 5:39:54 PM   
IdahoNYer

1-2 Mar 44

Highlights – Endeh landings go in without opposition.

Jpn ships sunk:
AM: 1
SS: 1 (I-41)
TK: 1

Jpn ships un-sunk:
SS: 1 (RO-111)

Air loss:
Jpn: 31
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 4 Attacks, 2 ships hit (TK sunk, sub dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Endeh (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Endeh (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: KB location unknown.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, its back to re-organizing for upcoming landings. Noemfoor units were dropped at Kiriwina in the Solomon Sea due to more than anything else, stacking limitations on New Guinea bases. These troops will now begin planning for Amphibs in the PI. Troops earmarked for Sorong are already fully prepped, and are standing by for transport at various bases in Theater.

In SWPAC, troops go ashore at Endeh unopposed and carry the base. No air attacks either which is a good sign. Troops can begin to advance on the nearby bases of Ruteng and Maumere, and of course building an airstrip. CVE TF, with CA TF providing cover, will remain at Endeh providing fighter cover for incoming support troops and supplies as well as attempting to interdict naval targets of opportunity within range. This will take a few days, then will shift the CVEs to cover the landings at Pantar and then Salajar. These will complete the isolation of Koepang and set the conditions for troops landing at Celebes, the primary objective in Theater for the month. Elsewhere, troops will begin bombarding Dili prior to their assault in the coming days - which will include amphib landing additional troops at Dili itself. Two “glitches” this turn however. First, CVL Princeton must have hit a rock or something while entering port at Port Hedland. No explanation on any of the reports such as collision or similar. In any case, she’s now damaged at (6/4(4)/6(2)) and will need some attention from Darwin ARDs, or perhaps even a shipyard. Another glitch is that Ambon AF is reported to be capable of operations, so Heavies will concentrate on shutting it down. Could be just poor recon, but not worth the chance. Also, in the air war, am going to take a risk on a potential opportunity at Manado on the NE tip of Celebes. L_S_T looks to be establishing a significant base there, but recon reports no fighters present - perhaps because its out of Allied single engine fighter range cover. I’m going to risk a B-24 Group to hit both the port and AF, supported by two P-38 fighter squadrons operating at extended range - something I seldom do. But there is an opportunity here, and it probably won’t last.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, troops continue to slowly advance toward the jungles beyond the bridgehead while more troops move across the river. As expected, it’s a slow slog in the jungles, and as usual, L_S_T is one step ahead, pulling troops out to form a new line. Air attacks on the withdrawing troops don’t do much, and I’m going to need to start pulling bombers out of Burma and back to Sumatra for softening up Palembang defenders.

In the IO, the first ground elements close in on Palembang - perhaps too fast as the Aussie 9th Div supported by a tank battalion are a bit “out in front” of the rest of the force and if L_S_T decides to conduct a quick spoiling attack, it could be ugly. Bombers begin focusing on hitting ground troops with little success, but those attacks will only get more intensive as more bombers come in from Burma. At sea, its pretty quiet, and a minesweeping TF supported by DDs will sweep the Merak area to see what the defenses look like. I know mines are present, and I’m expecting MTBs, the question is whether they are supported by coastal batteries and whether this minesweeping will trigger a response of surface or sub assets as Oosthaven did.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1178
3-4 Mar 44 - 1/9/2019 8:52:58 PM   
IdahoNYer

3-4 Mar 44

Highlights – US DDs find mines the hard way off Merak.

Jpn ships sunk:
E: 1
MTB: 2
xAK: 1
ACM: 1

Jpn ships un-sunk:
DD: 1 (Numakaze)

Air loss:
Jpn: 34
Allied: 18

Subwar:
Jpn: 1 Attack, 0 ships hit
Allies: 9 Attacks, 1 ship hit (xAK dam)

Bases Liberated:
Ruteng (SWPAC - flipped)
Larantoeka (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Merak, and therefore of course the Sunda Strait, is VERY heavily mined, but doesn’t appear to have CD batteries; KB location unknown.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, NSTR.

In SWPAC, both Ruteng and Larantoeka bases on the isle of Flores flip to Allied control due to the landings at Endeh, apparently no IJA troops on the isle. Heavies hit Ambon with good success, recon now showing AF completely unusable. The single bomb group hitting Manado also does well, no fighters coming up on CAP, and the bombers damaging 2AV, AR and an AG with 500lb hits as well as destroying 13 planes on the ground including 5 Emilys. Results were good for a single raid, but weather prevented a second day’s raid. US Mediums out of Kaimana range across the Ceram Sea, hitting 3 PBs in a convoy near the Moluccas. The range and impact of Allied LBA is extending effectively to Celebes, limiting IJN mobility in Theater. At sea, one US CV TF and the BB TF refuel, while the main body moves slowly eastward south of Timor, still perhaps undetected by enemy air search. One more CV TF needs to take on fuel prior to the TF moving north into the Banda Sea. Allied Assault shipping is busy shuttling support troops to Flores, and that need will actually increase for a few days as there is no IJA opposition on the island. Still, transports are allocated to the Pantar and Salajar landings and begin to head to the embarking ports of Exmouth and Broome respectively. Lastly, the CVE and CA TF remains at Endeh providing CAP and cover, but so far, no enemy air, either day or night has ventured to attack.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, NSTR.

In the IO, the minesweeping operation and “recon” into Merak ran into a heck of minefield! The DDs providing cover brushed aside two MTBs, and then ran into the mines, all three DDs being heavily damaged. The Minesweeping TF (2DD, 2AM) cleared 10 mines, but both DDs also ran afoul of mines, also damaging the tin cans heavily. Two DDs made port in Oosthaven, which is also mined and currently without air cover. Of the other three DDs, the crippled LaVallette (41/88(70)/1) will make for Benkoelen, the other two should make it to Siberoet, then on to Columbo. A nasty payback for the damage done by Allied mines at Babar! The two AMs remained at Oosthaven and will work to clear those mines, but are also exposed to air attack. Also, on the debit side, enemy LBA made a rare successful night time attack on transports offloading at Benkoelen. Despite a few Beaufighters on night CAP, the 21 Frances made torpedo runs with one scoring a hit damaging an AK offloading supplies. Will increase the night CAP a bit and keep fingers crossed. On land, the Allied main body of troops arrived at Palembang, and are overstacked even before two more divisions worth of troops arrive. Troops at Palembang will hold in place for a few days as airpower continues its attacks on the IJA defenders. Figure another week or so before the first attack goes in. The bomber force on Sumatra was reinforce by shifting a B-24 and A-20 group from supporting troops in Burma to hitting Palembang. Airfields on Sumatra, although expanding, are still at a premium.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/9/2019 8:53:29 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1179
5-6 Mar 44 - 1/16/2019 10:39:22 PM   
IdahoNYer

5-6 Mar 44

Highlights – Allied troops enter outskirts of Moulmein in Burma.

Jpn ships sunk:
PB: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 38
Allied: 29

Subwar:
Jpn: 1 Attack, 0 ships hit
Allies: 2 Attacks, 1 ship hit (PB dam)

SIGINT/Intel: NSTR.

West Coast/Admin: The first Thunderbolt squadron exchanges its P-47D2s for the P-47D25 at Prome in Burma. The P-47D25 is a fantastic plane, but its production run is limited from 3/44 to 6/44 and then there is a big “Thunderbolt Production Gap” until either the P-51 arrives in 11/44 or eventually the P-47N in 3/45. So, I’m going to have to be careful to retain a sizeable amount of production as available replacements - perhaps 200 planes or so?

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, NSTR.

In SWPAC, Allied LBA reaches out to hit a small convoy off Ambon, hitting both a DD and an E, damaging both. Although there is much IJN “coastal shipping” shipping traffic, no sign of any major counter to the Endeh landings. Salajar and Pantar Amphibs begin loading and should head to staging areas next turn. Pantar looks undefended while Salajar appears to have about 1000 men defending. Priority of Allied Naval support with go with Salajar which will be the last landing prior to ampibs on Celebes. Endeh AF now at level 1, and US fighters are flown in; should be level 2 or better to support Salajar. US fleet will now proceed to Darwin to complete fueling and conduct minor repairs - also considering removing the Helldivers from the two CVs that have them, and replacing them with additional fighters and a smaller SBD-5 squadron - one of the VS squadrons converted from Kingfishers. The SB2C-1C’s service rating of 3 is really prohibitive to carrier operations, and with PDU-Off, if a CV arrives with Helldivers, there is no going back. And with Kamikazes available, I don’t think the US CV TFs can have TOO MANY fighters! Lastly, more assault transports continue to head to Exmouth from Sumatran waters, and once assembled, should have enough in Theater to execute the division plus size lifts required for Celebes in a few weeks.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, lead British troops move into Moulmein, finding a week garrison left behind to delay in the city. Will be a few turns before an assault can be mounted due to the level 4 forts. In any case, the IJA main body is well on the way towards Rahaeng and establishing a new line to defend central Thailand…so much for an uneventful drive toward Indochina. In the air, Georges attempt a CAP trap over Chiang Mai in northern Thailand, and do catch B-25s before sweeps come in. 5 B-25s are lost, but then the P-47 sweep comes in downing 17 Georges for no loss.

In the IO, the Allied main body closes on Palembang resulting in overstacking and now supply issues. Not really surprised, to be expected. But it does highlight the need to push more supplies on Sumatra. So, will now pull back some troops during the “prep” phase to allow for bombardments prior to the ground assault. LBA continues to hit troops and the AF, flak remains heavy and a couple of B-24s and A-20s are lost. As expected, Palembang is going to be a tough nut. Will continue the air attacks to attrit the defenders, and will see about getting more supply pushed through to the ground troops. At sea, Frances again attack shipping off Benkoelen at night, but this time fail to score a hit and 4 fail to return to base.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1180
7-8 Mar 44 - 1/26/2019 6:29:40 PM   
IdahoNYer

7-8 Mar 44

Highlights – Dili taken in first attack.

Jpn ships sunk:
SS: 1 (I-5)

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (LaVallette)

Air loss:
Jpn: 12
Allied: 27

Subwar:
Jpn: 4 Attacks, 1 ship hit (DD LaVallette sunk)
Allies: 5 Attacks, 1 ship hit (xAK sunk)

Bases Liberated:
Dili (SWPAC)

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, NSTR.

In SWPAC, the first Allied attack at Dili secures the base with the IJA withdrawing west toward Koepang less 2100 men. Allied losses were less than 50 and will continue to advance and engage the withdrawing IJA troops. At sea, the Salajar and Pantar Amphibs completed loading at Broome and Exmouth respectively, and will head towards staging areas and then to targets. CVE and CA TF will move from Endeh to provide cover for landing support troops at Ruteng on the western coast of Flores. Main Body, US Fleet, arrived at Darwin to conduct minor repairs and offload Helldivers for additional fighters. CV Bunker Hill replaces its Beasts with a Hellcat squadron and its load will have 72 Fighters (36 F4U-1A, 36 F6F, 12 SBD-5 and 18 TBM-1C while the Intrepid will configure to 60 fighters (36 F6F, 24 F4U-1A, 24 SBD-5 and 18 TBM-1C). Remaining CVs will largely stay the same, goal having 48 fighters, usually 36 Hellcats and 12 Corsairs as available. Fleet will remain at Darwin for the next few days as these conversions take place. In the air, US LBA catches some additional IJN coastal shipping, damaging a three LSTs near Ternate. Lastly, Endeh AF now at Level 2, and will provide sweeps over Makassar in support of B-24 strikes and also provide some LRCAP over Ruteng.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, additional Allied troops move into Moulmein and will attack next turn, supported by a BB bombardment, and hopefully secure the base. Most Allied troops still trudging through the jungles east of the river as the IJA withdraw on roads into central Thailand.

In the IO, the overstacking at Palembang is corrected by withdrawing troops and remaining troops (about 2 divisions and artillery) will begin bombarding next turn. LBA continues to provide support by hitting ground targets, but flak remains heavy and two B-24s are lost. The B-24s are getting worn down by the constant use, and I’m going to rest one of the three bomb groups each turn - hopefully that will suffice. Lastly, IJN sub activity near the Sunda Strait is on the rise, with a sub picking off the crippled LaVallette one hex away from the safety of a base. Will focus more ASW a/c to counter the threat as well as putting some naval escorts to ASW work off the Strait as minesweepers begin sweeping mines at Merak.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1181
9-10 Mar 44 - 1/28/2019 6:35:03 PM   
IdahoNYer

9-10 Mar 44

Highlights – Moulmein taken in first attack.

Jpn ships sunk:
SS: 1 (RO-39)

Allied ships sunk:
AVD: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 26
Allied: 24

Subwar:
Jpn: 2 Attacks, 1 ship hit (AVD sunk)
Allies: 1 Attack, 0 ships hit

Bases Liberated:
Bima (SWPAC-flipped)
Moulmein (Burma)

SIGINT/Intel: Still no indication of where the IJN is operating from, or any indication of what (or where) an Allied landing will trigger an IJN response.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, slowly consolidating assault shipping and moving troops to consolidated points of embarkation. Next amphib will still be the western New Guinea bases of Sorong and Sansapor, which will still require the support of the fleet. So….SOPAC is on hold until the CVs are done supporting the Celebes landings in SWPAC.

In SWPAC, heavies hit Kendari and Koepang with good effect, but mixed against Makassar. No CAP in any case, but Makassar still potentially viable as a base - bombing assessment recon didn’t fly. US CVE based naval air operating off Ruteng reached out to interdict a troop transport run north of Makassar, catching a convoy at Pare Pare, heavily damaging 3 of 4 spotted xAKs - apparently loaded with troops. Unclear of course whether the troops were coming in, or pulling out. My gut says these troops are from Makassar and are being pulled out. In any case, CVEs and CA TF will remain at Ruteng supporting the offloading of engineers and will link up with the Salajar Amphib there next turn. Pantar Amphib will proceed directly to target, and should have troops coming ashore next turn. Endeh AF now at level 3, and will continue its roll as an advanced fighter platform, providing sweeps over Makassar, and LRCAP over US TFs at Ruteng and later at Salajar. Main body of the US fleet remains at Darwin still undergoing minor repairs, but also adjusting some CV fighter loads, such as Lex and Sara swapping out 12 Hellcats each for Corsairs. Fleet will take another turn or two to complete these minor repairs and filling out some Corsair squadrons aboard the CVs after which the fleet will be ready to support landings on Celebes. CVL Princeton departed Darwin escorted by 2DDs bound for Sydney and repairs. Its Hellcats were flown off to Endeh to provide support until the Princeton’s repairs are completed. Lastly, enough assault shipping has gathered at Exmouth, so the US 41st ID with support elements begins loading for landing at Kolaka on Celebes, the backdoor to Kendari.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, the ground assault on Moulmein began with the Brit BB TF (2BB, CLAAA, DDs) bombarding inflicting about 250 casualties. The ground assault was a non-event - 2200 IJA support troops lost to no Allied. IJA withdrew from the hex and Allied troops will now begin advancing to the south towards Tavoy and to the SE towards Bangkok, as well as maintaining pressure to the east towards Rahaeng. Many Allied troops are still tied up in heavy jungle to the east of Moulmein, so the IJA is expected to be able to established another river line defense from Rahaeng down to Bangkok. At least with Moulmein secured, supplies should be able to flow without problems from Rangoon to support the advance.

In the IO, at sea, the highlight is the initial minesweeping effort to open the Sunda Strait - two minesweepers sweep Merak, clearing about 120 mines, two the hard way - one AM sunk, one damaged that will need to limp to Oosthaven. While more sweeping is needed, the good news is that the Allied minesweepers weren’t engaged by either naval, air or CD assets. IJN subs continue to be a nuisance, one being sunk off Benkoelen by DDs on ASW patrol. Will continue the ASW patrols and gather additional minesweepers (many are on escort duty or have departed Theater with departed assault shipping) for another go at the “Minefields of Merak”. The biggest challenge right now at sea is pushing sufficient supplies to the small ports of the Sumatran coast - this requires many small 2-3 supply ship convoys or larger LST convoys, otherwise ports become overcrowded and backlogged. Ultimately Benkoelen will be the primary port, and that will max out at level 4, but engineers still have much work to do there to expand both the port and AF. On Sumatra, the focus remains Palembang and the first ground bombardment goes fairly well, with the Allied guns inflicting 125 casualties to 35 in return. Air attacks continue to wear down the bomber force from accumulated flak damage - the heavies need to rest and I’m standing all of them down for a few turns. Will continue to fly mediums in support, and looking to reinforce the Havoc group with a B-25 group just arriving in Theater. Finding sufficient airfields for the additional mediums will be the issue. Still looking to soften up Palembang for another week before launching the first ground assault, depending on how well I can build up supply on Sumatra.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 1/28/2019 6:38:38 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1182
11-12 Mar 44 - 2/1/2019 6:15:05 AM   
IdahoNYer

11-12 Mar 44

Highlights – First B-29 Squadrons arrive!

Jpn ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Arare)
xAK: 2

Air loss:
Jpn: 20
Allied: 19

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Allied Amph Inv:
Pantar (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Maumere (SWPAC)
Pantar (SWPAC)
Sawoe-eilanden (SWPAC-flipped)
Nadzab (SOPAC)

West Coast/Admin: The first three B-29 squadrons arrive in Aden! They’ll need to be shipped into Theater and replacement aircraft don’t start arriving until next month, so it will be bit before they’ll fly their first combat mission, but it’s sure nice to see them start to arrive. First order of business is comb the existing medium and heavy bomber squadrons for their best pilots to go over to the B-29s.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, Ponape based medium bombers catch a convoy at Truk. Two of the three sighted big AKs are hit by bombs, strafed and left damaged. No troop casualties are reported, so perhaps a supply run? No CAP, and recon now reports some ships in the harbor. Will keep the Mediums on naval strike, and bring in some Heavies to hit the port, preceded by P-38 and Corsair sweeps just in case fighters are brought in. I’m not expecting much, but its good to keep Truk “under the gun”.

In SOPAC, the veteran US Americal and the newly arrived green 38th ID attack the remnants of the once powerful IJA that threatened Lae at Nadzeb, wiping out the remaining 6000 troops and taking the level 6 fort base while only losing about 50 men. Casualties were reported only as 320 men on the combat report, but there was no sign of the remaining troops at the start of the new turn, so I’m assuming they were wiped out. Both Divisions are prepping for future operations and will gradually pull back to Lae. This attack looks to have eliminated any potential raiding force the IJA had remaining to threaten the eastern New Guinea Allied bases.

In SWPAC, the Flores Island operations to isolate Koepang pretty much came to a conclusion with Maumere being taken along with Pantar Amphib and also being taken - all undefended. Salajar Amphib will move from its staging at Ruteng on the NW side of Flores along with CVE and CA TFs to Salajar to land troops next turn. Expecting a fight at Salajar, an Aussie Bde against what I bet is either a Naval Garrison unit or an SNLF. Heavies hit both Koepang and Makassar with good effect, although Makassar looks still to be potentially open, although no aircraft are reportedly based there. Focus will now begin to shift to landing at Celebes with the Kolaka Amphib TF completing loading at Exmouth which will sail for initial staging at Endeh to link up with support forces. The US 41st ID is the primary unit involved in Kolaka, and has been recovering at Exmouth since getting mauled in the desert near Port Hedland by Jpn LBA a long, long time ago. The challenge with the Celebes operation will be shuttling assault shipping for bringing in follow on troops as both reinforcements and additional landings - ultimately 3-4 divisions worth plus support to secure the south half of Celebes. Allied Fleet, still repairing minor damages in Darwin, will sortie in support - but I’m looking at more of an offensive role for the CVs in support, such as raiding toward Manado area. The CVE TF along with LBA from Endeh should be sufficient to protect the landings from LBA, allowing the CVs to strike rather than protect. That’s the plan right now, but we’ll see what L_S_T does in response to the upcoming landings. Lastly, recon will begin to focus on the Balikpapan area for the first time as the first step to close the Makassar Strait - which is a potential route the KB could use to launch a nasty raid if the US CVs are near Manado. While the tempo has been pretty active in SWPAC, it should actually pick up in the coming turns.

In China, the IJA try another limited attack NW of Nanning, and the defending Chinese Corps again holds against the attacking two Bdes - 270 IJA lost to 120 Chinese. Supply situation throughout China continues to improve with Kweiyang actually reaching 20k supply.

In Burma, nothing really exciting as Allied troops slowly push out from the jungles - slowly, very slowly. With Moulmein taken, looking to try and organize the ground forces into Corps with 2 Divisions each or so. One Corps will head south to Tavoy and grind into the Malay Peninsula, one Corps focused on Chiang Mai area and clear the jungles of northern Burma, while the majority of the force to push between Rahaeng and Bangkok and force another river crossing north of Bangkok. Will probably take at least the rest of the month to complete the reorganization as well as reach the river north of Bangkok.

In the IO, it was pretty non-eventful. Allied ground bombardments at Palembang went in the IJA’s favor, with 75 Allied casualties to 50 IJA. Not going in the right direction there! With the Heavies still resting, Palembang is not being attritted near enough - thinking of debuting the B-29s at Palembang hitting ground targets perhaps? Just to see?? At sea, one sizable support reinforcement convoy is about to offload at Benkoelen while another is loading more basegroups and support troops at Colombo. Lastly, minesweepers will make another attempt at reducing the Merak minefields next turn.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1183
13-14 Mar 44 - 2/6/2019 1:46:38 AM   
IdahoNYer

13-14 Mar 44

Highlights – Troops go ashore at Salajar; CAP trap over Burma.

Jpn ships sunk:
LST: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 28
Allied: 43

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attacks, 1 ship hit (LST dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Salajar (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Alor (SWPAC - flipped)
Lomblen (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Ki-84r Frank encountered in combat for first time.

West Coast/Admin: The third P-47D25 squadron receives their aircraft, and that will be last squadron to be equipped until the replacements reach 100 planes. One squadron is in Burma, one in Sumatra, and one in SWPAC.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, heavy bombers conduct port attack against Truk from Massau Is, supported by fighters out of Ponape damage two of those AKs hit previous day. No CAP, and will hit Truk again next turn.

In SOPAC, NSTR.

In SWPAC, landings go in at Salajar preceded by CA TF (2CA, CL) bombardment which inflicts about 180 casualties. 2nd Aussie Bde and supporting troops put ashore in good order (100% prep) and find an SNLF along with an Engineer Reg. Will need at least a turn to reduce fatigue from the amphib, but by end of the two days, all transports fully offloaded, and no reaction from the Japanese. TFs will depart, the Amphib TF heading to Saumlaki to embark troops earmarked for Celebes, the CA TF to return to Darwin to rearm, and the CVE TF to head south to rendezvous with the inbound Amphib TF heading toward its target at Kolaka on Celebes from Exmouth. The CV TFs will depart Darwin to provide “distant cover” for the Celebes landings, initially heading to just south of Kendari. US CV TFs now configured as two with 3CV, 3CVL, 2BB, 2CA, 2CL, DDs and one with 4CV, CVL, 2BB, 2CA, 2CL, DDs. A CA TF (2CA, CL, DDs) will depart Darwin to rendezvous with the Kolaka Amphib as well. Only BB Washington didn’t complete her necessary minor repairs at Darwin in time to sortie, and will join the fleet when she can. Lastly at sea, the Repl TF with 4 Repl CVEs, a CVE for CAP, 4 AOs plus escorts will follow the CVs to provide support - those CVEs carry over 100 replacement F6Fs plus DB and TBs which really help sustain the CVs at sea. In the air, bombers will provide support by hitting ground troops at Salajar as well as hitting Manado’s satellite AF at Sidate at night which looks to be provide most of the fighters in the area.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, L_S_T sets a nice CAP trap with Franks, including the newly arrived “r” model, on LRCAP near Raheng which catch some lumbering Vengences despite Allied fighter sweeps - that arrive late and don’t stand up well against the Franks which held the altitude advantage as well. After two days, 14 Vengeance, 8 Spits and 6 P-40s are lost against only 10 Franks. To counter the Franks, the first squadron to convert to the P-47D25 will fly sweeps, but what really needs to happen is recon needs to find out what bases the Franks are flying from, so recon flights will shift from locating ground units to bases.

In the IO, ground and air bombardment of IJA at Palembang continues with minimal results, perhaps 100 or so IJA troops reported as casualties. Will commit one Heavy Bomb Group next turn, others still repairing aircraft and are reporting about 50% readiness. At sea, minesweepers will have another run at clearing the Sunda Strait next turn with three AMs heading to Merak.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 2/6/2019 1:52:14 AM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1184
RE: 13-14 Mar 44 - 2/6/2019 1:49:04 PM   
jwolf

Makassar is a really good base and in a good, strategic location as well. What is your rationale for targeting Kendari first? And do you expect to follow with an op at Makassar very soon?

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1185
RE: 13-14 Mar 44 - 2/9/2019 8:00:55 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

Makassar is a really good base and in a good, strategic location as well. What is your rationale for targeting Kendari first? And do you expect to follow with an op at Makassar very soon?

You're spot on jwolf!

Makassar is most definitely "on the list" - had troops prepped for Kendari side of Celebes first, mainly due to LBA range from Dili/Lautem. Didn't figure Endeh area would be undefended.

Once the transports offload at Kolaka, they'll head to pick up troops earmarked for the southwestern side of Celebes, which will culminate with taking Makassar.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1186
15-16 Mar 44 - 2/10/2019 6:03:17 PM   
IdahoNYer

15-16 Mar 44

Highlights – CV TFs sortie into the Banda Sea.

Jpn ships sunk
DD: 1 (Akizuki)
SS: 1 (I-122)
SSX: 1
AMc: 1
AK: 1
xAP: 1

Allied ships sunk

[uAir loss:]
Jpn: 18
Allied: 15

Subwar:
Allies: 2 Attacks, 1 ship hit (DD dam)

Bases Liberated:
Tanahdjampea (SWPAC - flipped)

In NOPAC, US CL TF (CL, DDs) begins searching in NOPAC waters for reported PB as part of the IJN early warning screen.

In CENPAC, previously reported AKs in port no longer there as Heavies hit the port without seeing or hitting any ships. Will suspend further air attacks.

In SOPAC, Sansapor Amph TF will depart Manus to embark assault troops at Vanimo next turn. Looking to begin amphib operations in western New Guinea in the next week or so.

In SWPAC, Salajar Amphib and covering TFs depart to friendly ports while the ground troops prepare to assault next turn. CV TFs depart Darwin and head into the Banda Sea, so far without any interference. CV TFs will sortie north to hit reported TFs in and around Menado next turn before heading back to cover landings at Kolaka to begin operations in Celebes. Kolaka Amphib TF with supporting TFs should reach Salajar to stage, and then proceed to target. Troops will attack on Salajar next turn, supported by LBA. LBA will also strike Menado next turn, supported by naval fighters from the CVs.

In China, will commit South Africans to the attack with armor and two Chinese Corps in a spoiling attack east of Kweilin next turn. Been a long while since Allied troops attacked in China!

In Burma, P-47s find no enemy fighters aloft in Burma, but recon confirms Bangkok as the primary base of IJA fighter operations. Will take a few more weeks before Allied fighters can effectively sweep over Bangkok. Meanwhile, ground troops continue the advance from Moulmein.

In the IO, USMC troops destroy the remaining IJA troops that had withdrawn from Benkoelen, eliminating some 4500 troops at a cost of 10 US. While the focus remains on Palembang, Allied minesweepers sweep about 210 mines from Merak at a cost of one minesweeper lost. Will continue to sweep mines until cleared.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1187
17-18 Mar 44 - 2/12/2019 11:16:24 PM   
IdahoNYer

17-18 Mar 44

Highlights – Salajar taken, a good raid on Manado, Sunda Strait clear of mines and a successful Allied attack in China.

Jpn ships sunk:
PB: 4
AMc: 3

Allied ships sunk:
TK: 1 (on convoy, no enemy contact - self implodes; only report was “fires out of control, ship cannot be saved”)

Air loss:
Jpn: 102
Allied: 56

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 2 ships hit (xAK, PB dam)

Bases Liberated:
Salajar (SWPAC)
Moa (SWPAC - flipped)
Selaroe (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Shipping in an around Manado less than expected; no sign of IJN.

In NOPAC, US CL TF (CL, DDs) finds and sinks PB in NOPAC waters which was part of the IJN early warning screen.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Sansapor Amph TF begins loading at Vanimo and should be able to depart towards target next turn with CVE (8CVE, CLAA, DD/DEs) and CA TF (3CA, CL, DDs) in support. The question is more whether or not the fleet CV TFs will be released and available from SWPAC. DD TF (3DDs) will sortie from Sarmi west along the New Guinea coast to Sorong and back to determine any naval or air reaction. Air power in Theater largely rests.

In SWPAC, Salajar taken in the first assault, and after two days of attacks, defenders lose 500 men to 5 Allied. AF construction will now begin. The main event was of course the CV raid supporting bomber strikes against Manado. Weather prevented strikes the first day over the base, and pickings were slim against TFs - three AMc sunk north of Manado. Second day strikes go in, with fighter sweeps taking on a robust CAP, initially 45 Zeros and 15 Frankr, which challenge the Hellcats and Corsairs. A few are still in the air when the B-24s come in, but overall a solid day. Totals include 24 Zeros and 6 Franks destroyed in the air, with 11 Franks, 14 Emily, 5 Nick, and 3 other a/c destroyed on the ground. Price wasn’t light, but acceptable; 11 Corsair, 4 Hellcats and 2 B-24s down in the furballs while flak claimed another B-24. AF is still operational, but it doesn’t look like L_S_T is planning on using it as a major base any longer - in other words, air strength wasn’t reinforced and no ships are reported in port. The CV sortie also looks to have pulled a number of subs west from stations near Sorong-Sansapor, which should make the approach to those bases easier for SOPAC forces. Next turn will have two of the CV TFs heading towards Kendari to provide cover for landings at Kolaka which should happen on the second day. The third CV TF will head to Saumlaki to replace its lost Corsairs and top off fuel. By no means necessary, but an opportunity to top off planes and fuel. The Kolaka Amph TF with supporting CVE and CA TFs are just off Salajar and will proceed directly to target. A DD TF (3DD, DMS) will detach and run up to raid reported shipping in and around Balikpapan. In the air, LRCAP out of Endeh will support the Kolaka operation while both Heavies and Mediums will focus on softening up Kolaka as well as hitting Makassar AF “just in case”.

In China, the South African Div, the US Provisional Tank Bde and two Chinese Corps conduct a successful spoiling attack east of Kweilin in a clear hex against what turned out to be two IJA divisions that just moved into the hex. Did not expect two divisions totaling over 25K men, but the results were good and the IJA troops look to be pulling back. Casualties after two days of attacks tallied about 5000 IJA troops lost to about 800 Allied. Allied troops are in good shape and will continue the attack next turn.

In Burma, NSTR.

In the IO, bombardments and air attacks continue against Palembang, but results continue to be poor with total IJA losses about 150 men. Expecting some heavy fortifications! Will start shuttling troops for the first ground attack, which I’m sure will be bloody. Will continue with the bombardments, although I don’t expect increased results. On the positive side, minesweepers clear the last 25 or so mines from the Sunda Strait at Merak, and will send the first subs through the straight next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1188
19-20 Mar 44 - 2/14/2019 2:44:43 PM   
IdahoNYer

19-20 Mar 44

Highlights – Kolaka taken.

Jpn ships sunk:
AV: 1
SSX: 1
SC: 1
AMc: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 32
Allied: 18

Subwar:
Allies: 5 Attacks, 5 ships hit (AV, AMc sunk, TK dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Kolaka (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Kolaka (SWPAC)
Waingapoe (SWPAC - flipped)

SIGINT/Intel: Looks as though L_S_T is pulling all shipping from Makassar Strait north towards the PI which means abandoning oil production at Balikpapan.

In NOPAC, US CL TF (CL, DDs) heads to raid Kuriles and is greated by two Betty strikes over the two days. One with 13 Bettys carrying torps and one with 18 Bettys bombing. Neither raid scores any hits and five Bettys are splashed by Flak. TF will continue towards Shimushiri-jima where shipping is still reported, and should be heading home before daylight. While I have the US 6th ID and plenty of support fully prepped for landings in Kuriles, that is still a ways off.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Sansapor Amph TF completed loading at Vanimo and will depart towards target with CVE and CA TF. Spt TFs with two engineer regiments will follow, loaded primarily into landing craft along with the first mass use of the LCI (G) landing craft. With negligible resistance so far in SWPAC, the CV TFs will transit through the Ceram Sea to SOPAC to provide cover and support as well. Once the CV TFs are in SOPAC, tempo will accelerate here and will also begin offensive operations to the north in CENPAC’s area of operations.

In SWPAC, CA TF and air bombardments destroy the defending JAAF unit at Kolaka so troops coming ashore just find debris, secure the base and begin moving towards Kendari. Additional support troops will start coming ashore next turn, as well as a big convoy loitering at Endeh will head to Kolaka with troops fully prepped for Kendari. CVEs and another CA TF will provide cover. The Kolaka Amphib TF will depart to Saumlaki to embark troops for the other side of Celebes, the landing at Watampone, then to advance inland towards Makassar and other bases. Am surprised at the lack of IJA resistance of Celebes so far - expected a knife fight to get bases in single engine range to Balikpapan, but it looks as though the last tankers have departed from Balikpapan and the IJN will not contest the Makassar Strait. US DD TF is still heading for Balikpapan, but looks as though the reported shipping has departed north. If this turns out to be true, perhaps L_S_T’s main defensive line is the Philippines?

In China, the Allies attack again with the South Africans and others against the withdrawing two IJA divisions and while successful, the attack’s price tag is climbing with 3300 IJA losses against 1000 Allied. Will suspend the attacks, and resume the defense as the IJA main body looks to be heading west from the Changsha area.

In Burma, the advance out of Moulmein continues as the Allied Corps reorganizations begins to flush out. While heavy IJA troop concentration is identified just west of Rahaeng, the rest of the IJA defensive line is still to be sorted out.

In the IO, I manage to overstack in Palembang as the troops redeploy and that instantly triggers supply issues. Will suspend the ground bombardments to see if that helps, but if I can’t build up enough supply to attack while overstacked, this will be a very bloody venture. May take a while to sort the optimum sustainable force package as the bombers continue to soften up defenses. On that note, was a good turn for the bombers, causing 250 casualties. At sea, subs begin transiting the Sunda Strait and it also appears the IJN has withdrawn from the Java Sea as Helldivers catch and damage an AS heading along the Borneo coast. Will sortie the Brit CA TF (BC, 2CA, 3CL, DDs) to bombard Merak to probe defenses. Primary focus at sea remains bringing in supplies and support troops to expand the AFs - still critically short AF space on Sumatra.

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 2/14/2019 2:45:00 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1189
RE: 19-20 Mar 44 - 2/14/2019 2:55:14 PM   
jwolf

Can the Japanese still take oil from NW Borneo -- Brunei area -- more or less safely? If so, that's about all isn't it?

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1190
RE: 19-20 Mar 44 - 2/14/2019 4:46:19 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

Can the Japanese still take oil from NW Borneo -- Brunei area -- more or less safely? If so, that's about all isn't it?

On Borneo, Brunei, Miri and Tarakan are still fairly accessible. Miri has been bombed, losing about 80 oil if memory serves. Soon, all will be under B-29 threat.

So the question is....how long or effectively can Japan's economy still run without DEI oil?

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1191
21-22 Mar 44 - 2/15/2019 12:14:05 AM   
IdahoNYer

21-22 Mar 44

Highlights – Troops ashore at Sansapor; Heavy IJA fighter sweeps over Moulmein.

Jpn ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Nagatsuki - old Babar mine victim)
SS: 1 (I-184)
AK: 1
xAK: 2

Jpn ships un-sunk:
SS: 1 (RO-110)

Air loss:
Jpn: 50
Allied: 66

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 2 ships hit (xAK sunk, xAK dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Sansapor (SOPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Still no idea where the IJN is bases, but sure looks like most of the IJA’s Franks are based in Bangkok.

In NOPAC, US CL TF (CL, DDs) finds no targets in the Kuriles and heads back towards the Aleutians without further air attack.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Sansapor Amph goes in and gets the vast majority of troops ashore during the second day landings. Troops are in good enough shape to attack the estimated 2000 defenders and will be supported by the CA TF bombardment as well as all the LBA bombers available. Two of the three US CV TFs enter the Pacific via the Ceram Sea and a small strike cripples two xAKs from a convoy off Peleliu. This marks the 1st return of US CVs into the Pacific since the Bunker Hill CV raid back in Dec 43 - in fact, Bunker Hill has managed to sail completely around Australia! The six pre-Essex US CVs haven’t been in the Pacific since operating in the Indian Ocean beginning around May 43. The third CV TF re-stocks Corsairs and completed refueling at Saumlaki and will depart through the Ceram Sea with the Repl TF next turn. Once the Amphib TF completes offloading, they will head to Hansa Bay to embark troops for the next target - Woleai Atoll (guess that will technically be a CENPAC operation) while the US 37th Div is brought in to Sansopar to begin the overland trek to Sorong which is expected to be a much tougher target than Sansapor. Still planning on landing the 4th Mar Div at Sorong, and hopefully timing it with the overland attack. Lots to do in SOPAC!

In SWPAC, its pretty uneventful. LBA rests as the Aussie 7th ID is brought in to Kolaka to follow and support in the attack on Kendari. Probably overkill based on the estimated 8,000 defenders, but both divisions as well as numerous support units were fully prepped for this operation. Initial Kolaka Amph TF is just short of Saumlaki, but will make port next turn and then begin loading troops for Watampone, right across the gulf from Kolaka. As Kolaka was the “back door” to Kendari, hopefully Watampone will serve a similar route to Makassar. Lastly, the DDs sent to raid Balikpapan find nothing and are headed back to Endeh.

In China, IJA LBA make a ground attack for the first time in a long, long time. Helens attack the East African Div and supporting troops inflicting about 40 casualties, but the East African Div has some 40 40mm Bofors which claim 8 of the attacking Helens. And of course, the Helens came in without escort to where I just pulled the Allied fighters off LRCAP! And while the Helens were hitting ground troops, Oscars sweep Kweiyang and are met by US P-40 squadron on CAP which down 7 Oscars in exchange for 5 P-40s. I’ve now pulled most of the fighters out of China back to Burma, but might still be able to shuttle the few remaining to give the IJA a challenge. At least supply is no longer a crippling issue.

In Burma, L_S_T surprises me with a massed sweep by first class fighters - all Franks - against Moulmein. CAP is weak, only a Spit V squadron on CAP there, as well as some P-40s and Hurris wander in from Bassein and Rangoon. Franks of course dominate - after two days over 400 Franks sortie and lose only 2 fighters air to air. Allies lose 17 P-40N5s, 10 Spits and 5 Hurris. Not a stellar performance, but with second class fighters against the IJA’s best, its to be expected. Can’t figure out why sweep Moulmein though - except perhaps to achieve just what happened, draw loose CAP out from Rangoon area. In any case, CAP is augmented over Rangoon and Moulmein, even bringing in both available P-47D25 squadrons. All these Franks look to be flying out of Bangkok, so the real answer is to bring the fight to them by hitting Bangkok with Heavies. But not ready to do that quite yet, although the first four B-29 squadrons were just landed in Karachi by AKVs. Time is on the Allies side. On the ground, will make the first ground attack against the defensive line being stood up on the Thailand-Burma border with lead elements heading toward Bangkok. I don’t expect success here, but figure with four divisions coming up behind, this will serve as a good “recon by fire”.

In the IO, bombers continue to have minimal effect on the Palembang defenders, claiming perhaps another 150 casualties in massed attacks from three Heavy Bomb groups and two Mediums. On the bright side, ground troops at Palembang have gathered enough supply, so it’s time to launch the first attack. 2 Divs and 2 IN Bdes supported by armor, engineers and artillery will launch the first ground attack next turn. I dread this….it will be bloody and if I’m lucky, it will wear down the defender’s fortifications at great cost. That’s the best I can hope for. All units are well prepped, and two additional divisions that need some more time to prep, as well as additional engineers, are standing by in the adjacent hex to replace losses. The Brit CA TF (BC, 2CA, 3CL, DDs) is still enroute to bombard Merak, and should bombard next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1192
23-24 Mar 44 - 2/15/2019 5:26:29 PM   
IdahoNYer

23-23 Mar 44

Highlights – KAMIKAZEs!!!!

Jpn ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Niizuki)

Jpn ships un-sunk:
DD: 1 (Arare)

Air loss:
Jpn: 349
Allied: 25

Subwar:
Allies: 2 Attacks, 2 ships hit (PB sunk, DD dam)

Bases lost:
Siangtan (China - flipped)

Bases Liberated:
Sansapor (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel:Manado wasn’t quite abandoned as a base as it looks as the source of the Kamikaze raid at shipping off Kolaka. Still not clue as to where the IJN is at.

West Coast/Admin: Brand new Essex class CVs Robert E Lee and Ulysses S Grant along with two CVLs and CA Boise II, depart San Diego for Pacific where they should join the fleet in a few weeks. Once arriving in Theater, both CVs will exchange their 36 Helldivers for 24 plane SBD squadrons and take on 24 Corsairs as well.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Sansapor taken in the first attack, with the remnants of the Naval Guard unit falling back to Sorong. CV TFs find no targets near Peliliu and with the Kamis coming out of Manado, the CV TFs will head back west to provide sweeps in support of B-24s hitting Manado. Otherwise, transports continue to discharge engineers at Sansapor, and begin loading the 37th Div at Madang for transit to Sansapor. Most of the assault transports from Sansapor are still enroute to Hansa Bay, so there is plenty of time for the CVs to support the raids on Manado and still be available to support Woleai landings. CVE TF remains to cover Sansapor.

In SWPAC, WoW! First use of Kamikazes and it’s a BIG massed effort! 11 separate strikes are launched at the CVE TF off Kolaka (8CVE, CLAA, DDs/DEs), with the first strike the largest at over 150 planes including 90 A6M5c Zeros flying as escorts. Altitude of strikes varied, with most coming in at over 32k, so even though CAP was over 170 fighters, CAP was maxed out at 20k and many, too many planes go through to hit and damage 5 of the 8 CVEs. All 5 will require yard time, and are incapable of operating aircraft, but all should be repairable if they get to the yards. For now, all 5 are disbanded into Kolaka’s level 2 port and their airgroups are dropped off at Kolaka’s level 0 airfield - which should expand to level 1 next turn. Most of their aircraft landed at Ruteng as fragments and they should be able to rejoin their parent squadrons next turn. On the positive side, while having 5 CVEs damaged, it was expensive - 83 Oscar IIb, 72 A6M2 Zero, 30 Jill, 24 A6M2 Sen Baku, and 24 A6M5 were lost as Kamikazes - 11 successfully hitting targets. Also, 67 A6M5c Zeros lost to CAP. CAP lost 5 FM2 Wildcats, 2 Hellcats, and a P-38 out of Endeh. At this point, I’m not sure who “won” this engagement. I guess if the Kamis come in hard again next turn, it will be a Jpn win, if not, chalk it up to the good guys. The biggest lessons learned here are the altitude of the attacking planes will now require stacking CAP from 5000ft through 30K plus - this will dilute the CAP, but I don’t see a choice here. Also, by most raids coming in at over 30K, 5” AA fire effects were probably much reduced. In the short term at Kolaka, more shipping is still offloading, so the remaining 3 CVEs will marry up with the CA TF to provide some additional AA capability and remain off Kolaka and all the avail LBA I can muster out of Endeh will fly LRCAP. PLUS - three B-24 groups will hit Manado AF, supported by fighters off the CVs. I’m curious to see how long it takes L_S_T to re-equip his Kamikaze units for another strike? Elsewhere, the Watampone Amph TF begins loading at Saumlaki, and should depart to target next month. Figure more CVEs will be needed for that landing - even if its only two hexes from Kolaka - so the CVE TF remaining in the IO will depart to SWPAC next turn as well. On the ground, led troops should enter Kendari hex next turn, and then a few more days for the column to close up and be ready to attack. So despite the Kamikaze attack and threat, the plan remains unchanged.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, the first attack across the Thai-Burma border on the route to Bangkok goes poorly, as the 2+ Indian Divisions are heavily repulsed by the reinforced 21st ID, losing 1700 troops to 400 IJA. Will wait until the US divisions are brought up before further attacks, but of course that means overstacking. While those results weren’t too surprising, what was surprising was seeing Franks used in a ground attack role on this same battle - About 200 Frank sorites do very little damage and lose 12 to AA and another 9 to Ops. Although the ground troops AA fire did well enough, will sortie some LRCAP over the troops next turn.

In the IO, the first assault goes in at Palembang and the results were probably as best as could be expected - repulsed with loss, but the forts were reduced from 4 to 3. I’ll take that! 2500 Allied troops lost, most from a single Brit Bde suffering disruptions, against only 500 IJA. Will swap out the 29th Brit Bde for the US 7th IN Div and resume the attack when the troops get set, hopefully being able to maintain positive supply despite the overstacking. Bombers continue the massed effort to support, but the full court press is starting to wear them down and may have to start resting squadrons. The Brit CA TF (BC, 2CA, 3CL, DDs) bombarded Merak causing around 160 casualties and no CD batteries replying - a good recon by fire to landing by the 3rd MAR Div once Palembang falls. Lastly, as mentioned earlier, the CVE TF (8CVE, CL, CLAA, DDs/DEs) will depart Theater next turn for SWPAC which shouldn’t impact operations - but truthfully, that Kamikaze attack off Kolaka could certainly happen anywhere at any time along the southwestern Sumatran coast against Allied shipping.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 2/15/2019 5:28:05 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1193
RE: 23-24 Mar 44 - 2/15/2019 6:05:21 PM   
jwolf

Is Balikpapan still functional as a good airfield? I'm wondering about other bases from which the Japanese could mount another big strike. Ternate?

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1194
RE: 17-18 Mar 44 - 2/16/2019 3:36:07 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Allied ships sunk:
TK: 1 (on convoy, no enemy contact - self implodes; only report was “fires out of control, ship cannot be saved”)

Guess the smoking lamp should have been out!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1195
RE: 17-18 Mar 44 - 2/16/2019 1:01:32 PM   
Bif1961

Looks like all your CVEs will survive but be out of the fight for awhile. You are right if he can follow this first attack with another at the same level you could be in danger of losing this round.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1196
RE: 23-24 Mar 44 - 2/17/2019 7:07:30 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

Is Balikpapan still functional as a good airfield? I'm wondering about other bases from which the Japanese could mount another big strike. Ternate?

Both Balikpapan and Samarinda just to its north are still intact and viable as launch platforms. Ternate hasn't be built up past AF level 1. But truthfully, there are just to many bases that could be used - more than I can shut down and keep shut down. What I don't know is how much supply is available at some of the bypassed bases - such as Ambon, Boela and now Kendari. I don't think I can keep these bases out of commission indefinitely - I need my Heavies for other missions.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1197
RE: 17-18 Mar 44 - 2/17/2019 7:08:49 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

Looks like all your CVEs will survive but be out of the fight for awhile. You are right if he can follow this first attack with another at the same level you could be in danger of losing this round.

Just finished the turn - no Kamikaze or conventional follow up! Now the question is how long with the calm last...

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 1198
25-26 Mar 44 - 2/18/2019 3:54:17 PM   
IdahoNYer

25-26 Mar 44

Highlights – No follow-on Kamikaze strikes; Good raid Manado should shut down the base.

Jpn ships sunk:

Jpn ships un-sunk:
DD: 1 (Kiyonami)

Air loss:
Jpn: 30
Allied: 29

Subwar:
Allies: 5 Attacks, 4 ships hit (E sunk, AK, xAKL dam)

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Sansapor AF operational and Hellcats are flown in for CAP. With two engineer regiments hard at work, level 2 isn’t far away - and that will allow offensive fighter operations ranging to Manado. Support troops will continue to shuttle into Sanapor while the 37th ID will be brought in on three lifts. The combined Naval air sweeps and Heavies worked well over Manado, no CAP and the base was shut down. 15 likely previously damaged fighters (all used as Kamis) destroyed on the ground along with 3 Emilys. CVs will now head east, with one CV TF heading to Manus to refuel and get air sorties replenished. The other two will take on fuel from the Repl TF just north of Sansapor. BB TF (3BB, CA, CL, DDs) will bombard Manado, then head to Manus for replenishment. In theory, all refueling and replenishment should be completed enough to coincide with the next amphibious landings to be loaded for Woleai, a few days’ time away.

In SWPAC, a pretty un-evenful turn. No follow up raid on TFs at Kolaka, and Kolaka AF reaches level 1, so all the CVE squadrons’ fragments came back to roost with the parent squadron at Kolaka. Heavies as mentioned, were focused on hitting Manado, and also hit Ambon and Boela to keep those bases shut down. Watampone Amph TF completed loading at Saumlaki, and along with its CA TF (CA, 2CL, DDs) support, will begin to head toward target. They will stage at Kolaka, where I hope to rendezvous with the incoming CVE TF from the IO before landing. Not sure that will be synchronized enough, the CVEs may link up at the invasion site. In any case, In addition to Endeh, AFs at Kolaka and Salajar AFs will be able to support the landings, and Heavies will start hitting potential enemy airfields such as Balikpapan in the next few days as well. Tempo moving a bit quick for locking support - taking a little risk here. There are also a number of follow on Amph TFs currently loading along the Australian coast at Broome, Port Hedland and Derby that will land troops once Watampone is secured - both combat troops prepped for Makassar and Madjene as well as the usual engineers to expand the AF and port. Going to be VERY busy off Celebes, and right now the plan is not to commit the US CVs - only support with CVEs and LBA.

In China, NSTR.

In Burma, it’s pretty quiet. Allied troops continue to close up with lead elements near the Burma-Thailand border, and despite starting to overstack, the supply situation remains good. Until Palembang is secure, Allied air is minimally available, so any ground attack in the coming days will be without any “softening up”. So, for now, Allied troops will continue to probe forward, slowly.

In the IO, bombers continue to soften up Palembang defenses with a reported 200 casualties inflicted, and another 250 from ground troops bombarding. 7th ID and additional engineers have moved in, and supplies remain plentiful, so it’s time for another attack - 3 divisions plus support will attack, leaving a fresh Indian Division to the NW to replace losses if necessary. With the forts down to level 3, I’m hoping for better results than last time. With bombers getting fatigued from the constant use, and the 3rd Mar Div close to being prepped enough to land at Merak, it’s getting time to wrap things up at Palembang. Also, LBA Helldivers catch a convoy off Singkawang on the Borneo coast apparently loaded with troops. The DBs hit two AKs setting them afire, but miss an LSD. Too bad the TBFs didn’t fly! It really does look like the IJN has abandoned the Java Sea - I’m kinda surprised to see that, and curious as to what is left defending Java. Lastly, another 4xAKVs will depart Aden for Karachi with B-29s next turn. Four more squadrons await transit in Aden already, but I’m only using AKVs to ship the B-29s. Once I have 12 squadrons on the ground in India, will look to fly them forward to Burma and making them operational….debating on what the first target will be, and whether to chance a daylight attack. The 29s were going to head directly to Sumatra to hit the Borneo oilfields, but the AFs aren’t ready yet, and it looks like SWPAC B-24s might be able to range to most of those targets in a few turns.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1199
27-28 Mar 44 - 2/22/2019 9:16:15 PM   
IdahoNYer

27-28 Mar 44

Highlights – Palembang holds two attacks with heavy Allied loss.

Jpn ships sunk:

Air loss:
Jpn: 13
Allied: 21

Subwar:
Allies: 4 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Bases lost:
Hengyang (China)

Bases Liberated:
Komodo (SWPAC - flipped)
Memboro (SPPAC - flipped)

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, troops for Woleai begin loading at Hansa Bay while troops loading for Satawal begin loading at Kavieng. Neither appear well defended, and the division’s worth of combat power earmarked for both this atolls is probably overkill. However, both these bases will provide flank security for SOPAC, and jumping off “staging” bases for further amphibious operations in the Marianas. Woleai will provide a base for LRCAP while Satawal will serve as a PBY base. Lastly, these atolls will of course further isolate Truk.

In SOPAC, it’s pretty quiet as troops continue to flow into Sansapor. The highlight is the debut of BB Iowa and two other BBs bombarding Manado inflicting 650 casualties and shutting down the base. Repl TF is taking its sweat time entering the Ceram Sea, so refueling the CV TFs north of Sansapor hasn’t happened yet. CV TFs will need to swing east to provide support for Woleai landings, so the delay in refueling may be costly.

In SWPAC, Heavies put in good bomb runs to Makassar, Ambon and Boela and all three should be shut down. Recon now shows some LBA at Balikappan which may be a threat, and will need to move bombers into Endeh to target the AF there. But the focus for now is getting the Watampone landings ashore next turn - the Amphib TF with the CA TF will loiter at Kolaka next turn while the CVE TF from IO should also rendezvous there - assuming the recently detected minefield at the western end of Flores Island at Bima doesn’t pose a problem - a DMS and 3 AMs are heading to deal with the minefield. Follow on troops for Watampone beach head are also loaded at various ports and will begin to head to target next turn - lots of assault shipping employed here, all converging on Celebes. To help cover all this, AFs at Kolaka and Salajar should reach level 2 next turn, while Endeh is at level 5. On the ground, troops should reach Kendari next turn as well. Busy, busy.

In China, the IJA gained a solid victory by taking Hengyang just west of Changsa - which was expected eventually, but expected the Chinese Corp defending to hold better with the level 3 forts. Instead only 350 IJA casualties were lost against 7500 Chinese when the Corps surrendered. Back to the “old ways” for a turn. Not good. That said, Allied defenses further west should be a bit more challenging to overcome.

In Burma, NSTR.

In the IO, the ground troops took it on the chin at Palembang. First attack accomplished what I intended at a reasonable cost - reduced forts to level 2, inflicting 1300 casualties on the defenders at a cost of 2000 troops. Acceptable trade off if it ended there. But no! The Allied AI commander decided to continue the assault with the now heavily fatigued troops on the second day and got mauled; 600 IJA lost to 1800 Allied and no forts reduced. All three engineer units committed are gutted, along with the Brit LRP Bde taking the brunt of the losses. So another turn of swapping out troops - including the last fresh engineer unit, and one of three remaining Indian Bdes will be committed. May need more than one turn to recover some of the disruption and fatigue after that last attack, but I’m still looking to finish Palembang sooner rather than later. At least with the forts being reduced, the bombers are having more effect. At sea, the flow of supplies into Sumatra continues as much as the limited port facilities can handle.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 24-25 Feb 44 Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI