Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strat movement through invaded hexes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strat movement through invaded hexes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strat movement through invaded hexes - 2/24/2019 11:41:34 AM   
GetAssista

A discussion in the recent AARs about strat RR movement thrown out of whack when a hex on the railroad is invaded made me do some testing. And here are the results. I welcome comments and additional observations. Lowpe, you have seen this a lot in your game, right?

A hex on the RR can be invaded in several ways (land, amphibious, para) and effects on units moving on the RR going through the hex can be different. The effects I observed are either 1 or 2.
1. If a hex is a base which is not taken on the turn of invasion, then all strat movement continues as usual. If stratting units arrive at this base on this turn, then they stop there keeping their strat mode. This is WAD and more or less fine. The annoyance here is that you cannot make your stratting units go around this base, cause strat pathfinding only cares about hex sides control, not about enemy presence on the path.
2. If a hex is a non-base hex invaded on the turn, or a base which was taken on the previous turn (so situation 1 was observed at t-1) then ALL stratting units that plan to go through the invaded hex in the future and cannot find a different route to their destination will be kicked out into move mode no matter where they are. AND said units will also be moved 1 hex in a seemingly random direction. All the units starting the turn in the same hex are kicked in the same direction, but I can't see what can determine the direction. I observed units thrown away from RR into the roadless mountains hex, so this random kick does not depend on roads present. Case 2 is really whacky. I can accept that the wormhole nature of strat movement necessitates switching units to "move" but cannot justify this random 1-hex kick.

Units that can find a different RR route circumventing hex sides taken in the turn in case 2 will do so. But you cannot really prepare yourself for this wackiness except planning your RR movement piecewise
Post #: 1
RE: Strat movement through invaded hexes - 2/24/2019 10:49:23 PM   
spence

I can't remember when exactly and since it only happened once I never investigated but I've seen "Case 2" occurring even when no enemy invasion occurs between the unit in strategic mode and its destination. I remember it happened in Australia and I also remember that a unit moving along a RR suddenly "bounced off" the RR and into a forest hex with no road or RR connection to anywhere.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 2
RE: Strat movement through invaded hexes - 2/25/2019 11:35:34 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I remember it happened in Australia and I also remember that a unit moving along a RR suddenly "bounced off" the RR and into a forest hex with no road or RR connection to anywhere.

That used to be a bug, but IIRC was fixed long ago. I've seen it before, but not in a long time. Are you running the latest release?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 3
RE: Strat movement through invaded hexes - 2/27/2019 1:08:12 PM   
Lowpe

Get,

I am not sure you can really test this...see Obvert's post turn do-over in his AAR vs. CR.

You only tested one particular aspect of the quirk(s)...although it manifests in lots of different ways.

In addition, I am not sure I really want people learning how to spam this as it quite frankly breaks the game. I hope it is a bit geographically based...but simply don't really know.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 4
RE: Strat movement through invaded hexes - 2/27/2019 7:36:04 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe
I am not sure you can really test this...see Obvert's post turn do-over in his AAR vs. CR.

More plausible explanation is that he just forgot to change the destination for a couple units. He did not reload an early save to check, did he? There is no mystic in most bugs, just regular behaviour where you did not find a pattern yet.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strat movement through invaded hexes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI