Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 10:29:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

I watched about 4 minutes of the combat replay but my theater recon value is so low I could see only the adjacent Axis units moving. I wasn't getting much out of the combat replay so I skipped the rest of it and I checked all the aircraft and I discovered that 95% of them are red and need some rest badly. I'm going to move all that will fly to the Moscow area and let them refit for several turns. I set one of my RR engineers in motion and one of Karsten's bombers decided to fly an INT mission. It was my understanding that one of the house rules was that the Axis wouldn't fly any INT missions so I was surprised when one struck my moving unit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/31/2019 12:08:36 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?
Post #: 1
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 10:55:52 AM   
Ammann

Upps ..... that's my mistake .... for how many turns does this rule apply here with no interdiction

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 2
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 11:09:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ammann
Upps ..... that's my mistake .... for how many turns does this rule apply here with no interdiction

Here's what the house rules say about that. I think no INT at all ever is kind of severe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ammann)
Post #: 3
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 11:31:16 AM   
Ammann

Okay ...... I'll turn it off and it will not happen again .... shame on my head

We tried to play it via the server, but somehow it did not work ......... these are the aircraft losses of the soviets in the first turn on my second attempt to play it via the server.

However, I have no idea if the number of downed or damaged aircraft is correct ... Larry can certainly say more

Post #: 4
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 12:00:51 PM   
Lobster

For a game of this length the server is far too unreliable. Imagine playing 200 turns and then the server ruins the game.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Ammann)
Post #: 5
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 12:17:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ammann

Okay ...... I'll turn it off and it will not happen again .... shame on my head

We tried to play it via the server, but somehow it did not work ......... these are the aircraft losses of the soviets in the first turn on my second attempt to play it via the server.

However, I have no idea if the number of downed or damaged aircraft is correct ... Larry can certainly say more

Hey Karsten dude: this doesn't look like the Soviet aircraft losses. And now I'm curious.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 6
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/5/2019 2:15:46 PM   
Ammann

Yes but that's how it appears ..... well, at least the number for the Germans is almost ..... I've checked and I've lost 76 machines

Whether the number of soviets is right I do not know .... you can look

Post #: 7
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/6/2019 6:48:43 AM   
cpt flam

enemy air losses can go as much as 2.5 real
so 7150can be 2 860, that seem possible

(in reply to Ammann)
Post #: 8
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/6/2019 9:11:01 AM   
Ammann

That with the aircraft losses was already a problem in TOAW3 because the indicated number was wrong

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 9
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/6/2019 9:19:49 AM   
Ammann

Ende Turn 2

The first week of the Russian war is coming to an end.
The peaks of the 8th and 6th Panzer Divisions reach the river Dvina and thus Riga.
Now there is a call for our bridge builders so that we can quickly overcome the current.

HGM units will reach Minsk next round and open the fight for the city.

Behind Army Group Center we have all Waffen SS units pulled together. I will do the rest of the game Sun. Also all incoming associations are incorporated into it.
Then I have my own SS corps or an army, so to speak. I think I will keep these associations either as a spearhead for offensives or as a reserve.
Maybe it will be different.

In the area of HGS Kamenka included the complete 4th mechanized corps of the Russian.

Meanwhile, the 9th and 13th Panzer Divisions are reaching the Stalin Line ..... which still looks just like a base.

For the rest, the 2 turn was quite normal and unspectacular ...... it had already dissolved existing boiler and formed new for the whole scattered Russians.
The latter are in turn resolved until the next round so that the material of these units does not go back into the pool.

PS:My interpreter is called Google

(in reply to Ammann)
Post #: 10
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/8/2019 7:32:39 PM   
larryfulkerson

This is the situation around Murmansk right now. I've advanced as far west as I care to because of the supply levels....they are way too low to sustain operations so for now this is the way it's going to stay for a long time. I suspect that the Axis units will find the supply levels too low as well and they probably won't put their boots on and venture outside.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/31/2019 12:10:41 AM >

(in reply to Ammann)
Post #: 11
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/8/2019 9:31:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

The Axis recon units are arriving at Riga just as I'm vacating the place. Everybody that can move is going to run for the hills. The Soviet units near the center were running for the hills and were overtaken by the Axis recon units. I'm hoping they can drop the bridges they are on before they get killed. I'm surprised that the Axis units have gone so far so fast. I wasn't expecting them until T3 or so. I've lost the footrace to the river. Axis units are going to be streaming over the river before I can get some units here to stop them. And the other crossings are still open as well. The Axis forces will likely capture them before I can drop the bridges. I'm falling behind schedule. I need to rail a bunch of people to this area to try to stem the flow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/8/2019 10:31:08 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Will follow the AAR. I hope it will be a balanced one with a close race if Soviets can take Berlin according to the historical date, as most AARs seem to see Soviets winning easily in FitE? Good luck and endurance!

Post #: 13
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/9/2019 1:16:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I hope it will be a balanced one with a close race if Soviets can take Berlin according to the historical date, as most AARs seem to see Soviets winning easily in FitE?

Me too. I mean, I agree. So far it's been a really exciting game for me.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 14
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/9/2019 8:54:17 AM   
gliz2

Murmansk should not be an objective for ze Germans. Not enough supply for taking it.
On the other hand it is quite eady to operate around Lahti to cut the Murmansk-Leningrad railway and thus achieving similar result - cutting the Soviets from convenient gateway to North sea transportation.

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

Post #: 15
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/9/2019 8:25:42 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Murmansk should not be an objective for ze Germans. Not enough supply for taking it. On the other hand it is quite easy to operate around Lahti to cut the Murmansk-Leningrad railway and thus achieving similar result - cutting the Soviets from convenient gateway to North sea transportation.

That sounds like a really good idea for Karsten. I'd best move some people into that area just in case he thinks that's a good idea too.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/9/2019 8:27:04 PM >

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 16
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/9/2019 9:10:49 PM   
larryfulkerson

My R&D department recently moved into their new lab and compared with the old office they worked in, this new one is a warehouse. They need the space because they are working on a new technology weapon: a particle beam weapon. They put together a proof of concept model about the size of a kitchen table that fires electrons and they discovered that the power output wattage is about 400 times lower than the power needed for punching holes in aluminum instantly. The engineers told me that they were going to switch to shooting protons since they are about 2,000 times heavier than the electron and if they switch to bigger magnets they have calculated that the impact of the proton beam would generate a temperature of approx. 2,015 degrees C in about half a second.
The gamestopper is the size, weight, and volume that the device has. That and the magnets we need to use aren't being built yet. Electromagnets about the size of a small car, 8 of them, aren't going to be easy to construct. Plus, the engineers have calculated that the amount of heat generated by the magnets would cause the stator to expand enough to drag on the surface of the magnets, which are ordinarily about 0.02mm above the stator, causing the outside case to heat up enough to turn cherry red and the sensor on the outside case will trigger an automatic shutdown. All this happens in about 2 seconds.

So we're going to install some liquid helium heat exchangers to cool down the magnets quickly and hopefully keep them that cold. We're going to start further tests again in the spring. It's going to take that long to construct the new electromagnets. New ones because we have to take into account the piping for the liquid helium this time. Considering that liquid helium costs about $15,000 USD for a gallon and it takes four of those containers to fill the weapon fully it's really expensive. The helium levels are good for about an hour and a half.

One of the engineers has started working on a smaller version that can be mounted on a multi-engine host. A bomber has been requested of the Luftwaffe for a suitable platform and they have agreed to send us an He-111, in about a week. They have to repair all the places in the skin that have jagged tears and almost-round holes. Plus there's a lot of avionics that needs to be replaced and recalibrated. The workers think they can get it ready for it's test flight in about two and a half days but their supervisor has had much experience with slipping schedules and he's seen the plane and it's got so many holes that he's sure it's going to take the better part of a week. He CAN'T be late with it. He's decided that if it still needs work after the deadline he's going to send his maintanence crew with the plane when it leaves so that they can finish their work on the plane and then worry about getting the crew back later. We'll call it a TDY.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/10/2019 6:11:23 AM >

Post #: 17
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/10/2019 6:22:52 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on down south. I've got a place right in the middle that looks really bare, very few defenders, and that's probably where Karsten is headed. A lot of my troops are surrounded and being slowly liquidated. I've depicted where I'm defending along the river by the blue lines and you can see where there are gaps and lots of weak spots and needless to say, this group of Soviet units aren't going to hold anything back for very long. This is not the best place to defend. My Alamo line is on the east side of the river that flows through Kiev headed south. I can't remember the name of that bad boy just now. Dneper?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 3/10/2019 6:23:24 AM >

Post #: 18
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/10/2019 9:49:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a section of the front lines south of the middle of the marshes and you can see how I'm trying to make a stand along a convient river to see how long I can delay the Axis advance if possible. I've got about 25 brand new divisions, most of them just now spawning this turn, awaiting some rail cap to move to the front and take part in the fight. It's 25June41 and the days are hot and humid and heat stroke is a possibility. There's no way to rotate the fresh units forward right now, so a lot of the Soviet units in this image are moving NW and south to form new MLR's as soon as they can. The Axis units arrived sooner than I had planned and there's many many bridges still functional because I didn't get there in time to drop them. The advance is moving a lot further than I thought possible and my planning hasn't taken that into account yet. I've moved a lot of AAA units out of the Moscow area into the 'field' in preparation to deploying all the ready squadrons into the field all at once in order that they can support each other and present a solid front of air cover from top to bottom. With the priority being the northern areas, from Leningrad to Minsk especially, although there's plenty of aircraft to cover everything, albiet sparcely.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 19
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/31/2019 12:21:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've received some new moves from Karsten and this is the T3 view of the northern front lines. Karsten has gotten some units across the river and is headed north. His follow on forces are clearing out his backfield and soon those units will arrive on the front lines in about two or three turns. I plan on blocking as many crossings as I can for as long as I can to stem the flow of Axis units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/31/2019 5:23:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

I've started building some light screens in the path of the moving Axis units in an effort to stem the flow of enemy units. These screens aren't going to hold the Axis units back for very long and I predict that they will defeat all my roadblocks and strongpoints very quickly and zoom ahead. I've got an MLR started at Narva, the point at the bottleneck leading to Leningrad. I'm wondering what kind of supply situation the Axis side has. It's probably pretty good around Riga but probably drops off sharply at the river's edge.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 3/31/2019 8:06:57 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's what's going on in the south right now. The Axis forces are pushing and shoving and clearing out the backfield and Karsten has moved his aircraft forward and he's in full attack mode. I've been backing up slowly and busting bridges and leaving behind some roadblocks and strong points and I'm losing units by the handful. My light screens aren't going to hold them back for very long. I'm going to have to start building an MLR along the river even though it's way early for that because I have about a dozen divisions that aren't ready for combat yet that I can move to Kiev and let them refit there. I've got about half the rail cap I need to move everybody that can move by rail. There's lots of brushfires that I need to pay some attention to and lots of weak spots that scream out for reinforcement. This is the first time that I've tried defending forward and I have to admit it's more exciting than just running for the hills. As soon as I have some available combat units I have to debate with myself about where to send them because of the different places that need somebody right now. I'm giving priority to the path of the Axis advance toward Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/1/2019 11:27:21 AM   
Cfant

May we see your losses so far?

Post #: 23
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/7/2019 5:10:02 AM   
Ammann

Turn 3 29 June 1941

The air combat ratio is this round at 34 to 1.
With 13 lost machines, we were able to destroy or damage 447 enemy aircraft.

Our Bridge Pioneers make 4 bridges over the Dvina, so our formations can cross the river relatively unhindered and advance further.
What surprised me is the fact that Larry moved by rail transport troops in this region .... in this case, it is an infantry division of the 19 Russian Corps.
This is actually a waste because it does not work anyway.

The first units reach the positions in front of Minsk, but they are not fighting here yet.
Our armored formations will turn south and cut off the city from supplies.

First battles run along the Stalin line, we hope to break through here relatively quickly.

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 24
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/7/2019 5:59:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cfant

May we see your losses so far?

Here's some of the losses. There's a boat-load of different types of equipment that isn't in play yet and have 0 losses so far. I was wondering if I should cut them out of the picture to make it a lot shorter but that seemed like too much work all of a sudden. And I'm retired, I'm alergic to work. You should see my kitchen floor. You'd think I'd get busy and mop that bad boy one of these days. Might make me feel better about myself. Nah, I'm too busy playing. I'm on a schedule. There's moves to do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cfant)
Post #: 25
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/8/2019 2:02:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the T4 front lines down in the south. Karsten is surrounding my guys and killing them. They will be gone soon and then it will be up to my next MLR east at the next river. I would have thought that the rough terrain north of the mountains would help my defense but so far it's not helping so much. I'm playing the Axis side in a different game but I seem to remember having adequate supply levels this far south and it doesn't seem to be a contingency yet. My aircraft are getting chewed up pretty good. I've been moving the fresh aircraft into the AO's and in one turn they get chewed up so badly that I have to move them to safety and let them refit again. They spend most of their time in the hanger getting worked on. About 1/3 of the fleet is now being cannabalized for parts.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/8/2019 7:47:07 AM   
gliz2

Seems like Karsten is one hell of a skilled opponent.
He is operating quite fast. I wouldn't meet him heads on as he seems to have mastered the opening turns for ze Germans. I would try delaying tactics (using chokeholds to impact German logistics) till mid July when more Soviet troops become avaialable and some MLRs could be set up.

I wouldn't worry too much about Besarabia front. It's as much doomed as Baltic front. The second river is the key. If you can hold German advance for few turns there you should be able to set up roughed defences around Kiev and Odessa.

Just have in mind that some German players invade Crimea from sea in mid July and some Soviet players invade Romania from sea in the same period ;)

I thought you were following my thread on how to capture Riga in T2/T3. There should be no surprises about it Larry.

< Message edited by gliz2 -- 4/8/2019 7:54:56 AM >

Plans are worthless, but planning is essential.

Post #: 27
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/9/2019 5:22:37 AM   
larryfulkerson

This is the area just north of the marshes and Minsk is on the right side of the image and you can see that the Axis forces are invading and will soon own all that real estate. All my roadblocks are being bypassed to be handled by follow on forces and they were following very close behind the recon units and the battlefield has become a battle in depth and there's lots of units moving here and there. Karsten is keeping his fighters close to the front in opposition to mine when mine are deployed. Most of mine are resting, refiting.
I've got about a dozen divisions that are refitting all over the map and I'm thinking of railing them to Moscow to start another MLR real quick. The rail cap is 6828/10000 and that won't rail very much. Maybe I should rail the deep red ones, they would weigh less and therefore take less of the rail cap to move.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gliz2)
Post #: 28
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/9/2019 7:00:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

I'm right in the middle of doing my moves for T4 and I thought I'd zoom out and do a cut and paste of the entire thing so show you what it looks like so far.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 29
RE: FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 - 4/25/2019 11:50:01 AM   
larryfulkerson

My R&D department has been working on a Jet Heavy Bomber and it looks like they have unveiled it just this turn. Although the aircraft meets none of it's contract specifications, so it looks like they are back to the drawing board on this one.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> After Action Reports >> FITE2 Karsten Axis, larry Soviets, 04:29 3/5/2019 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI