Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Slow LCU movement question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Slow LCU movement question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow LCU movement question - 3/5/2019 9:26:32 PM   
Gewehr_43

Hi, all. Can anyone tell me why these guys are only move 1 movement point per turn? At this rate it's going to take them a month and a half to move one hex. The rate is the same for "combat" or "move" operational order and seems to be happening regardless of what hex I set as their destination. They have plenty of supplies and support. I'm really baffled as I've seen units slog thru the jungles of New Guinea faster than this.

What nuance of this game am I missing after all these years? :)

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/5/2019 10:11:29 PM   
Lokasenna

Are they getting reset to Combat, out of Move, due to combat actions?

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/5/2019 10:13:28 PM   
Gewehr_43

Nope. No combat actions at all. The Davao hex is clear of enemy units and has been for a few weeks. Not even any air attacks. Is the fatigue too high?

< Message edited by Gewehr_43 -- 3/5/2019 10:14:00 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/5/2019 10:33:39 PM   
Gewehr_43

Eureka! Another unit was set to follow them and (presumably because they are a heavy artillery unit) they move very slowly. Canceled the follow command and the unit is moving like lightning!

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 4
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 6:32:06 AM   
GetAssista

Artillery should not be snails either. Given it is a dirt road and both units are in the same hex, artillery should catch up to the pictured ID (march 13 miles) in max 2 turns.
Now, when someone else is following that arty unit the situation can become complicated

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 5
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 12:21:08 PM   
Gewehr_43

Yeah, this actually isn't quite as cut and dried as I thought it was when I posted yesterday. I'm not sure if it's a bug, but it certainly looks to be. When I used the "set all to march" command (thus telling each unit to travel independently at normal speed), every unit made it to the next hex in a couple days. I subsequently had the 41st ID (pictured above) return to Davao after mopping up Japanese resistance and used the "set all to follow" when it was just the 41st and one other INF unit on the hex. Again, it was 1 movement point per turn. In any of these cases, the "lead" unit was always the 41st ID and no other units were set to follow other units. So, everyone should have just been following the 41st ID's lead. It appears to be a problem with the "set all to follow" command. While problematic, it's not a game breaker I guess.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 6
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 4:06:25 PM   
m10bob

What season is it?..Does the dirt road turn to mush in the rain? The direction of movement indicates an enemy IS present which may slow the advance. What is the density of the terrain off that single lane dirt road?
While the fatigue is only 25%, it might even be a malaria zone?

You have a good leader and loads of supply so I suspect what I mentioned, season and terrain.

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 7
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 5:35:45 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

What season is it?..Does the dirt road turn to mush in the rain? The direction of movement indicates an enemy IS present which may slow the advance. What is the density of the terrain off that single lane dirt road?
While the fatigue is only 25%, it might even be a malaria zone?

You have a good leader and loads of supply so I suspect what I mentioned, season and terrain.

Unless he is playing an RHS scenario movement rates on roads aren't subject to seasonal variations.

Infantry movement on a secondary road is 15 miles be day in move mode. Moderately high fatigue will reduce that to 12-14 miles per day.

An infantry unit will make that move in 4 days even if fatigued.

None of the possible effects you mention would slow a unit to 1 mile per day.

Something seems bugged.

I have used the "follow" command hundreds of times over tens of games and have never seen this.

Follow is best used when river crossing where a shock attack will be mandated to ensure everyone crosses together.

Outside of that use, I prefer the "all march" command for getting everyone in a hex moving to the same target.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/6/2019 5:36:25 PM >

Hans

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 5:54:40 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I have used the "follow" command hundreds of times over tens of games and have never seen this.

+1

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 9
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 9:46:01 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gewehr_43

Eureka! Another unit was set to follow them and (presumably because they are a heavy artillery unit) they move very slowly. Canceled the follow command and the unit is moving like lightning!

Yeah, that will do it.

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 10
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 9:47:03 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

+1

Slower units following faster units can slow the faster units down. It doesn't always work that way, but sometimes it does. Maybe it's a bug, maybe not. I forget what the intentions were.

Long ago, I simply adjusted my practice to picking the slowest unit and having everything else follow that. That way, there was no confusion and no possibility of premature hex-shifting by vulnerable units.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 11
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 9:53:54 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Slower units following faster units can slow the faster units down. It doesn't always work that way, but sometimes it does. Maybe it's a bug, maybe not. I forget what the intentions were.

Long ago, I simply adjusted my practice to picking the slowest unit and having everything else follow that. That way, there was no confusion and no possibility of premature hex-shifting by vulnerable units.

One of the main reasons I use the follow. I don't want an armored reg walking into 4 or 5 divisions by itself.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 12
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 9:58:17 PM   
Dante Fierro

What kind of rations have you been feeding the poor grunts?

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 13
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 10:04:15 PM   
rustysi

Whatever 'Cookie' burns.

(in reply to Dante Fierro)
Post #: 14
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/6/2019 10:22:24 PM   
Dante Fierro

Tee hee

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 15
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/7/2019 1:19:10 PM   
Gewehr_43

This is the bone stock Grand Campaign scenario w/o historical start. It is July, 1943. I'm still not sure what the deal is with these guys. :/

(in reply to Dante Fierro)
Post #: 16
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/7/2019 11:16:14 PM   
inqistor

My guess - it is some residue data. Either it tries to follow itself, or movement is not direct, it tries to move through the mountains on West.

Just cancel whole move, and give it new orders.

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 17
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/8/2019 2:27:52 PM   
wegman58

I had something similar. Took Lunga, took two weeks to follow the remnants to Tassafaronga. Even after the Imperial forces were eliminated I was moving at 3 (US Infantry Division, Seabees, etc.) between Tassafaronga and Lunga. Two weeks per hex. That struck me as wrong. Fatigue wasn't high. Well supplied and sufficient support.

(in reply to inqistor)
Post #: 18
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/8/2019 2:37:31 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I had something similar. Took Lunga, took two weeks to follow the remnants to Tassafaronga. Even after the Imperial forces were eliminated I was moving at 3 (US Infantry Division, Seabees, etc.) between Tassafaronga and Lunga. Two weeks per hex. That struck me as wrong. Fatigue wasn't high. Well supplied and sufficient support.

3 miles per day is actually the correct movement rate for infantry through Jungle/Rough terrain.

The hexes are HUGE. If you're not using roads cross country movement is interminably slow.

Two weeks is exactly what I plan for when striking out across jungle/rough or wooded/rough with no roads.

Familiarizing oneself with the movement rate chart in the manual helps dispell missperceptions.

In the OP's case he was using a secondary road which should allow a rate of 15 miles per day.

I took a look last night at a huge Russian stack (a full army) that just started moving forward down a secondary road after taking a base. I only rested one day before setting out and fatigue varied widely. Infantry movements rates varied from 15 all the way down to only 8 miles for one division that had 39 fatigues.

Fatigue would have to be astronomical to reduce movement to 1 mile on a secondary road.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 3/8/2019 2:38:49 PM >

Hans

(in reply to wegman58)
Post #: 19
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:00:50 AM   
geofflambert

I cut to the end rather than read all replies. Given the direction NE the unit is not using the road. You might get there faster by turning around.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:05:29 AM   
geofflambert

The engineer vehicles, half-tracks and scout cars will only move off road in that terrain one hex per day. A division without those amenities will move faster, maybe two hexes per day.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 21
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:15:31 AM   
geofflambert

Not to mention all those trucks. They were made for ripping down roads. Turn around and use the road. Here is what the terrain in that area looks like from a road. Your guys are using ropes and winches to lower those paperweights up and down ravines because the knucklehead commander can see where he's going and wants to go straight there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:35:59 AM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
The engineer vehicles, half-tracks and scout cars will only move off road in that terrain one hex per day. A division without those amenities will move faster, maybe two hexes per day.

Type of devices in the unit does not matter for the movement speed in this game. Only type of the unit itself does

Post #: 23
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:56:05 AM   
geofflambert

Now, let's discuss proper fighter aircraft tactics in the jungle.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:58:11 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Type of devices in the unit does not matter for the movement speed in this game. Only type of the unit itself does

Try loading them on transports and flying them over, then.

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 25
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 7:59:18 AM   
geofflambert

Motorized units like this one move faster on roads than non-motorized units.

Post #: 26
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 8:13:19 AM   
geofflambert

Looking at this again I see that something is trying to move NE while this unit is moving SW along the road. It's in move mode so it should move about 15 miles a turn. I'm at a loss. Fatigue and disruption aren't enough to slow it down that much.

Post #: 27
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 8:19:27 AM   
geofflambert

I have had something happen to me on more than two occasions that I never figured out where I ordered a unit to move directly to an adjacent hex and it would show progress each turn and then all of a sudden it would arrive in an adjacent hex still moving toward the target hex but with progress reset to zero. Don't know if that's related to this. Maybe try reissuing the order but start out in combat mode rather than move mode, then switch it to move mode after a turn.

Post #: 28
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 8:28:25 AM   
Yaab

They are the new soldiers. They march on point shoes.

Post #: 29
RE: Slow LCU movement question - 3/10/2019 8:29:42 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gewehr_43

Do you have a save of that turn before you killed the follow order? Would be nice to see the whole stack and what the orders were for each unit. Something was trying to move up the ridge to the NE, maybe that somehow was interfering.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gewehr_43)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Slow LCU movement question Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI