Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 1:56:01 PM   
RangerJoe

Invade Sabang now might be better than doing it in November of 1942 . . .

I always wondered why you did not invade Pegu then to try and cut off the army in Burma.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3931
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 6:28:22 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

Invasion of Nanking: Based upon the combat report it appears that the Allied invasion of Nanking went smoothly and that the enemy garrison is weak and ripe for plucking. I haven't viewed the movie yet nor seen the next-turn file, so my understanding isn't complete yet. But if Erik can't bring in reinforcements, this base should fall in one to three days (allowing for heavy enemy forts and the pending reinforcing landings by additional Allied divisions fully prepped).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3932
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 6:30:09 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Invade Sabang now might be better than doing it in November of 1942 . . .

I always wondered why you did not invade Pegu then to try and cut off the army in Burma.

Erik was strongly entrenched at Pegu and obviously primed to deal with an earlier invasion there. His air force was more powerful than mine and he could position KB in the NW extremity of the Gulf of Siam, thus devastating any Allied forces. And, more than anything, I didn't want to dislodge him until very late - I wanted his troops as far forward as possible as late as possible.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3933
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 6:45:18 PM   
RangerJoe

Thank you. I did not know the situation at Pegu and this happened before I even had the game. Since I read it years after it happened, I could not ask.

You should take Nanking fairly easily unless it is reinforced.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3934
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 7:12:42 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

Nanking: Bombardments not particularly effective, except vs. supply, but as it turns out the enemy garrison is not terribly strong anyway.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3935
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 7:31:45 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

Nanking: 4th Marine Div. is divided into a number of amphibious TFs, each one having many LCI gunships. The bombardments aren't particularly strong. The landings opened with APDs carrying part of the division, without support of gunships (ineligible for FT TFs).

A landing at neighboring Wusih by unrepped units supported by LCI gunships inflicts a very strong bombardment on the small enemy garrison, but the Allied troops also take heavy disablements due to lack of prep. But the rail from Shanghai should be severed for about three to four turns - enough to take Nanking, I think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3936
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 8:59:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

4th Marine Div. is divided into a number of amphibious TFs, each one having many LCI gunships. The bombardments aren't particularly strong. . . .

Death by a thousand cuts!

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3937
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 9:28:32 PM   
Canoerebel

Garrison requirements are factors shaping Allied strategy. Nanking is something like 300. Shanghai is more than 400. I'm willing to take one now if, as I see things, it helps in the long term. But I want to avoid tying down 10% or 20% of my mobile forces for garrison duty. The primary objective is to threaten enemy armies, if possible. Then, when the SEAC armies arrive, those units can handle most of the garrison duties.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3938
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 9:37:54 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

SEAC: Erik has chosen to fight an important delaying action at Udon Thani. I don't think it will mean much, long term.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3939
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 9:53:06 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

Udon Thani: Allied bombing decimated the combat value of the two enemy brigades, but the Allied armored units didn't fare much better. Only the Japanese suffered losses in this funny looking attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3940
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 10:02:39 PM   
Canoerebel

5/20/45

Nanking: If forts are high it may take three or four attacks before this base falls. But I can't see Erik saving it, given the totality of the circumstances.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3941
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/3/2019 10:18:22 PM   
RangerJoe

Another use for the Nanking and Shanghai garrisons until the SEAC forces arrive would be to use them for I & I purposes for your troops while they recover disablements.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3942
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 6:26:03 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The 4th Division is looking quite good for having made a quick landing.

EDIT: Any ideas on the huge Ki-84R ops loss? Did you sink a couple of xAKs?

By the way, I recently started reading the Corps series of books by W.E.B. Griffin (may he rest in peace). I'm not 100% sure of the authenticity (a Marine can comment on that), but they are definitely entertaining books and the historical events seem to be fairly well represented.

Cheers,
CB

< Message edited by CaptBeefheart -- 3/4/2019 6:52:21 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3943
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 7:01:40 AM   
palioboy2

What are the downsides to not meeting the garrison requirements? I know you'll lose the occasional VP point and the airfield and port will take damage. Are there any other issues?

Did you buy out the Chinese corps in Indochina? Are there many more Chinese corps present in the south? Are the Chinese in the mountains noticing less enemy troops on the MLR? I imagine the Chinese Army is in immaculate shape right now.

W.E.B. Griffin's books are great. There is another author who writes similar books about the British Air Force in WWII. I'll have to try to track down his name.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3944
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 7:10:30 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: palioboy2

W.E.B. Griffin's books are great.

I'm thinking USMC recruiting sergeants have to love the books. Every Marine in a uniform picks up a hottie and gets her in the sack that evening, if not sooner.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 3945
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 1:33:58 PM   
jwolf

quote:

What are the downsides to not meeting the garrison requirements? I know you'll lose the occasional VP point and the airfield and port will take damage. Are there any other issues?

I'm wondering about this, too. Strategically, maybe this would be worth it.

(in reply to palioboy2)
Post #: 3946
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 2:00:01 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

I'm wondering about this, too. Strategically, maybe this would be worth it.

In games against the AI where I have a 245k to 71k point advantage in September '45 I have never cared if the other side gets 3-5 victory pints per turn for bases I haven't bothered to garrison.

If I'm not using the airfield or port I don't care about the minor damage.

Have never checked to see if resources or factories can be damaged by partisans.

In a competitive game it might be more important, but as players we tend not to agonize over the loss of 1 victory point ships no matter how frequently those losses occur so I can't see many players agonizing over the 1 VP loss for the garrison failure.

Hans

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3947
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/4/2019 2:04:22 PM   
Canoerebel

It's a fluid situation. When the Allied army landed, the plan was to move NW and N, seeking to engage and destroy the enemy army at the dot hex. When that army withdrew, and when Nanking appeared vulnerable, the plan morphed for a quick strike on the base. If it falls soon, as I think it will, there'll be new decisions to make. Resume the march N and W, seeking to engage and to threaten the main enemy rail line? Remain in a tight perimeter and go after Shanghai/Hangchow while waiting for the SEAC army to come up? Etc. The garrison requirements are just one factor that'll be considered. It's a relatively small factor but one of the few certain ones.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 3948
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 3:51:35 PM   
Canoerebel

5/21/45

TNNBT: A good day. Nanking falls easily and Allied troops and ships aren't molested by enemy forces.

Now comes the big decision: What next? I've elected to scrub the earlier plan of moving north into the open country. Instead, the Allied army will move to isolate and then reduce Shanghai and adjacent bases. This is wooded terrain, so I like the notion of keeping a tight perimeter while dealing (on advantageous terms, I think) with Erik's army in this vicinity. Once it's secure, I can turn to the open terrain to the north. I don't think Erik can make an effective stand there, even given time to bring in lots of reinforcements and build some forts.

NoPac: Every now and then I try something new, just in case it works. Today I tried some 1EB on nighttime strategic missions on Hokkaido. It didn't work. Those things went down in flames against Erik's night fighters.

SEAC: Erik's fighting a clever, well-thought-out rear-guard action to hold Udon Thani, in upper Thailand, to delay Allied armies from moving into Indochina. But the Allied attack there today came off at 1:1 and dropped forts to 3. More Allied units are coming. I think (think, not certainty) the Allies will take this base inside a week, which will be satisfactory.

Another, smaller Allied army is moving on Saigon. I don't think he's making a stand there.

Malaya: Erik has set up strong points on the little railroad, again meaning to prevent Allied armies from Strat-moving towards Singapore. The Allies are moving to counter his efforts. Overall the Allies are making much better progress than I had expected.

Singer's garrison is up to 80k and will grow larger. It'll take time to reduce it, but that's fine too. In a month, Singers will be isolated and open to attack by the Allied air force and navy.

Elsewhere in the DEI, Erik is largely withdrawing, so the Allies an pick up many small bases worth modest victory points.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3949
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 5:27:32 PM   
RangerJoe

If you want to entice an air raid with no CAP, consider a flak trap. Some ground units moving in combat mode with a lot of AAA units in combat mode as well. Just make sure to include radar. No fighters lost on your side but lost of bombers lost and damaged on his side. That could make moving in the open easier until his air units get rebuilt. That might not take long but he will then always be wary of a trap.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3950
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 6:38:24 PM   
JohnDillworth

Yup, close that pocket around Shanghai.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3951
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 8:48:31 PM   
Canoerebel

5/22/45

TNNBT: Allies clear enemy opposition at Nanking and Wusih. The army will move SW and the S to envelop Shanghai.

Moonlight to 92% tonight. Erik likes full moonlight, so I gave extra thought to defenses, especially against riff-raff, subs and small raiding TFs. For some reason, I just don't think he's ready to attack yet, but I have to assume he is.

What if he doesn't attack? In that case, I need about two to three weeks to fully attend to the Shanghai sector. It's possible Erik will send an army to its relief but I doubt it given the power of the Allied forces and position. If I'm right, once the Allies have Shanghai isolated and fairly suppressed (via bombing and bombardment), and once Tungchow airfield is at level 9 (giving me 2x av support [at level 8] plus unlimited stacking), the sector may be secure enough to permit new operations. That might include a move into the South China Sea to neutralize any threat from KB, allowing RN Death Star and RN Herd to move in from the Andaman Sea. That will then give me the ability to secure the China sector while a force of nearly equal power handles raids or invasions in the DEI/Philippines sectors.

That's the three-month plan leading to Russian activation.

During that interval, I'll see if strategic bombing is efficient.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 3952
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 9:06:17 PM   
Canoerebel

5/22/45

SEAC: Udon Thani falls much sooner than I had expected. This is a significant development. The road into Indochina may be open now. Erik may or may not make serious stands in hopes of delaying the Allied army's arrival in China.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3953
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/5/2019 9:14:33 PM   
RangerJoe

One reason why the KB is down there may just to be close to a source of fuel that does not immediately support the Home Islands industry.

It is looking good.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3954
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/6/2019 1:51:25 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Kudos again on your concise and informative AAR style. Makes it easy to quickly grasp what's happening.

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3955
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/7/2019 3:14:53 PM   
Canoerebel

Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying reading.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 3956
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/7/2019 3:18:45 PM   
Canoerebel

5/23/45

TNNBT: A lot of troops and other units in motion today, moving towards the next base, the next target, the next confrontation. Erik's going to hold strong at Shanghai, it appears, and that suits me giving current deployments, strengths, and vulnerabilities.

SEAC: Ditto here - a lot of forward movement by Allied troops today, chasing down the next base or retreating enemy units. More action will take place in a couple of days. Overall, the shifting of the Allied army from the Burma/Thailand sector to Indochina seems to be going smoothly and faster than I had expected.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3957
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/7/2019 3:47:50 PM   
jwolf

How big is the Soviet air force -- and how good? Will they be enough to tip the balance of air power over Honshu so that you could do widespread strat bombing there at last?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3958
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/7/2019 3:59:57 PM   
BillBrown

Their fighters have short ranges. I do not think they can fly from Soviet territory to Japan. CR will have to get them to Korea to be able to use them effectively.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 3959
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 3/7/2019 4:25:26 PM   
Canoerebel

The Soviet air force is sizeable and will have the latest models in play. The pilots are trained well. But I don't know if a late-model Soviet fighter in the hands of a good pilot can handle a Ki-83 or Randy or Frank-R. I suspect I'll find out that they are adequate or even good on defense and poor on offense, which pretty much sums up the Allied air force in general.

Soviet bombers have short legs, so they'll mostly be useful in the ground war. And that's fine. The USAAF and RAF can handle the strategic war, once I get airfield on Korea or vicinity.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 3960
Page:   <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  130 131 [132] 133 134   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI