Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 9/2/2016 12:38:09 AM   
Retreat1970

quote:

I love mods that adds more resources.

Play Starfall mod if you don't.

quote:

does not rely on players editing their own ship designs

If you want to min/max designs, you have to manually create them. The AI designs are good but never as good as a player.

Also 45 days since an update. Dead/delayed?

(in reply to Nen)
Post #: 121
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 9/9/2016 4:10:00 AM   
Drybreeze

Hi again.

I'm just focusing on a few other things right now. In the process of selling our house, building a new one, and a transition at work between two roles is keeping me pretty occupied. Not dead. I will get to the next release as soon as I can.

:)

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 122
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 9/12/2016 7:03:31 AM   
Shogouki

Glad to see you're alive and no worries! :)

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 123
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 11/30/2016 6:33:33 PM   
NephilimNexus

Note towards realism: Steel is not a naturally occurring element. Iron is. Thus, replace steel with iron.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 124
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 12/24/2016 12:57:55 PM   
Hanekem

quote:

ORIGINAL: NephilimNexus

Note towards realism: Steel is not a naturally occurring element. Iron is. Thus, replace steel with iron.

While true, at the developmental tech level of all factions, not making steel out of iron ore would be kinda... questionable

(in reply to NephilimNexus)
Post #: 125
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 12/25/2016 8:47:06 AM   
tofudog

Note from the know-it-all:
The DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm - German industry standard) - definition of Steel is: any alloy that is mostly iron, with 2.06% or less of carbon.

So if realism is the goal you either say "steel" and have iron, chrome, tungsten, manganese as the most important ingredients subsumed under the heading or you say "iron" and have the aforementioned elements floating around as separate ingredients (like about 13% chrome in an acid-resistant (sweaty palms anyone?) alloy.

That said, to me the usage "iron" would feel smoother as the availability of the alloy-ingredients has heavily influenced strategy in WW II (and to a lesser extent before that).

WANT... MORE... MODDABILITY...

(in reply to Hanekem)
Post #: 126
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/3/2019 6:06:44 AM   
Drybreeze

So several years later, something like 4 laptops later, we have finished building our new home and I'm ready to resume this project.

I have not got access to the original files, but I can reverse engineer them from the upload. Does anyone still have this mod? If so, send it to me or attach it please, and I will continue to produce this mod.

(in reply to tofudog)
Post #: 127
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/4/2019 7:51:37 PM   
Landris

Unfortunately I wasn't around back then, but I really hope you are able to continue, this looks really exciting! You could work with the changes that Bacon mod brings too.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 128
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/4/2019 9:00:54 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drybreeze

So several years later, something like 4 laptops later, we have finished building our new home and I'm ready to resume this project.

I have not got access to the original files, but I can reverse engineer them from the upload. Does anyone still have this mod? If so, send it to me or attach it please, and I will continue to produce this mod.

Hi Drybreeze..... it is a pity you don't have the original files as it looks like you did a lot of work on the mod.

When people messaged you for a copy of the mod how did you send it to them?
If you sent it via this forum check your inbox at top of the screen to see if the attachment is in your sent items.

If you emailed the mod would the mod attachment be in your sent emails still?

Roy

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 129
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/5/2019 8:18:11 PM   
Kingah

Are these the files you're looking for?

https://mega.nz/#!R6AywaYB!Ie2cRnZKZZGG49gAcRrjPokdPVryDxM_eRa8OYIqy_Y

It's in a folder mashed together with god knows. I know resource icons are in there but didn't look through the rest. Think it got mixed with the Star Trek mod at some point and not sure what's from what. Hope you get something out of it though :P

< Message edited by Kingah -- 3/5/2019 8:40:32 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 130
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/7/2019 12:43:06 AM   
Drybreeze

Many thanks for your responses!

@Landris: Its been a crazy time for me and my family, but now it's time to resume this. I'll check out the mod you suggest, thank you!

@rjord1 : No, I had it as a link to a Drop Box folder, which I foolishly clean out recently and it must have been part of the culling without me knowing it. Ack! No big deal though, with thanks to Overlord015 I now have the full release v0.2 Alpha files. None of the construction files, but they're very easy to make. The thing I'll never be able to get back is the ship and race developments that I'd done since that release, but that's ok - I didn't get particularly far with them so not a big loss. Easy to cover that ground!

@Kingah : (Blank Stare) These are the files I'm looking for... Move along. Move along.
Thanks for this! I will look through them and see if there's anything in there that I don't already have. Probably the reason why they got confused is because I based this mod on the work done as part of the Star Trek mod. So many of the files were in fact from there. I had not yet got around to fully replacing things like races, etc. That comes next.

I'm just playing through a game of it now to re-familiarise myself with it all. First issue I came across is the race issues (which is why I moved to race editing early last time, as I recall). Specifically things like not having enough capacity in Star Ports to build Construction ships (so further development not possible)... stuff like that. I'll make a few quick edits of obvious things like that to make it playable again (temporary edits until permanent race creation is done) and keep playing through to re-familiarise myself with it all.

As I recall, the spreadsheet of development I had was a google sheet, so I'll have it banging around in here somewhere so I can go straight back to where I left off, pretty much.

I also have a much better method of planning out and producing the research trees, so that will go much better for me than it did last time.

All-in-all, glad to be back on this project... I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it!

Thanks again guys for your help getting these files back - especially you Overlord015!

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 3/7/2019 12:45:13 AM >

(in reply to Kingah)
Post #: 131
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 7:32:11 AM   
Drybreeze

@larrybush : You've made a good choice. This game is very playable. And re-playable. And that's even without the amazing mods that are produced by so many people in the community. There's some really great ones out there! I also think that realism is a great thing.

I have done a bit of a play through now, and adjusted a few things. Mostly balancing issues. I've adjusted the copper consumption of a lot of components to be far less, as demand was far exceeding supply. I've also reduced the weight of various components, so that basic ships aren't so massive.

I'll do another play through now to test this re-balancing, and then once I've got supply and demand well balanced I will return to the research tree.

Once I've got it all very nicely balanced and playable, I will release a version 0.3 alpha which will still use all of the amazing Star Trek races and such from the mod I based this on, but it will use real world resources.

After that I'll move on to races and stuff.

Post #: 132
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 8:50:55 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

A good source of all things realistic in sci-Fi is the website Project Rho, been around since the mid 1990's. Great for 2D & 3D star maps. It's a resource for sci-fi authors.

Thanks for mentioning Project Rho..... I may be able to use that for my mods.

Post #: 133
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 6:14:03 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

WarpWar, StarForce: Alpha Centauri, Outreach, Star Fleet Battles, Federation Space, Imperium..
so many sweet memories arise..

Larry, are you a board-wargamer ?

are you also on BoardGame Geek ?
Post #: 134
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 9:14:14 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Hey, once a board gamer always a board gamer! Even if none of us still play them anymore. My first one was Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz. Bought it back in the mid Seventies, when I was still in high school. The little group of gamers I was part of stopped playing pretty much by the mid Eighties. Too many got married for us to play regularly.

I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Post #: 135
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 9:18:00 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Hattori, who isn't a board gamer geek if they admit publicly they actually play/played them?! LOL

(in reply to Uncle Lumpy)
Post #: 136
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/8/2019 9:21:27 PM   
Uncle Lumpy

Drybreeze, thank you for resuming work on your mod. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Post #: 137
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 3:32:03 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle Lumpy

Hey, once a board gamer always a board gamer! Even if none of us still play them anymore. My first one was Avalon Hill's Panzer Blitz. Bought it back in the mid Seventies, when I was still in high school. The little group of gamers I was part of stopped playing pretty much by the mid Eighties. Too many got married for us to play regularly.

PanzerBlitz was the third wargame of my BIG collection !!!!!

I still play it from time to time..

I still play wargames with my old friends - these days we started "Fatal Alliances [Compass Games], a World War One wargame with the same rules of the immense "World in Flames".

we plan to play it for the next two or three years..

Post #: 138
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 3:33:27 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle Lumpy

Hattori, who isn't a board gamer geek if they admit publicly they actually play/played them?! LOL

we are True Geeks..

Post #: 139
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 3:40:55 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

During tropical storm Fay my detached garage flooded and ruined all the sealed boxes with my games! Almost cried... There were a lot of out-of-print titles lost!

BoardGame Geek, I know of it but don't go there - mostly go here and play computer wargames or sci-fi stuff.
I have a PS4 but find I'm terrible at First Person Shooters...

Almost cried.. ?????
Almost dead I would say.. !!!!!

the above is one of my more feared real-life nightmare..

ps: Larry, BoardGame Geek is truely GREAT: give it a try !!!!!

www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Hattori%20Hanzo

my profile and wargames collection

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 3/9/2019 3:41:53 AM >
Post #: 140
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 8:36:11 AM   
Drybreeze

@larrybush : Thank you I will definately check out Project Rho. I will assume you mean this Project Rho?

@Uncle Lumpy : Me too :)

I have adjusted a whole bunch of stuff, including component resource ingredients, resource distribution, and a few other little things to overcome blocks in play-through. Now it plays through to mid-game very well, even with the incomplete research tree. Mind you, I've only played as Borg, so there may be other problems in the play on other races. But I'll keep playing as Borg to iron things out on that race, then convert that race over to the Cydracitics. Then once that's all fully functioning, I'll create the Sed'tat race by modifying the Cydracitics, and build one race (and it's fully functioning research tree) at a time.

I have uploaded the currently functioning v0.2 alpha in the download link on the first post.

If you do download and play it, please ignore any issues that show up in any race other than Borg. Anything you see with Borg let me know, but keep in mind that research tree is incomplete. The components and resources are where I'm focusing right now until it's complete.

EDIT > Why won't my game run now??? Wtf it was working fine but now when I click the "Play Distant Worlds" in the launcher it does nothing...?

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 3/9/2019 9:33:10 AM >

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 141
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 12:05:22 PM   
Drybreeze

Yeah you can't have both gas and solids resources on the same bodies. Hydrogen (or any resource nominated as a gas) may only appear on gas giants, frozen gas giants, or clouds.

I suspect that you can have asteroids ONLY have gas on them (no solids) but I haven't tried to do that because it's counter-intuitive and I'm going for realism. But the wording in the resources help comments suggest that it's possible.

Post #: 142
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/9/2019 6:22:53 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

EDIT > Why won't my game run now??? Wtf it was working fine but now when I click the "Play Distant Worlds" in the launcher it does nothing...?

Go to Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe

Look at the file DW_CrashDump.txt and see if it has logged an error message and a line number where the problem is.

Otherwise in the same folder rename the file defaultOptions to defaultOptions_old.

Go back into Distant Worlds, change your theme back to your mod and see if that fixes it.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 3/9/2019 6:23:29 PM >

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 143
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/10/2019 4:44:47 AM   
Drybreeze

@larrybush : I agree with your thinking regarding water ice on asteroids. And Sea of Stars mod caters for it. But to get around Hydrogen being a gas and other resources I have made resources reflect their refined resources. For example asteroids can contain a mix of steel [in the form of iron], aluminium [in the form of bauxite] and gravel [in the form of concrete]. They can also have hydrogen, in the form of a new resource - water. It's treated in game as a solid, and is found on asteroids as well as a variety of other solid planetary bodies. It is used as a colony growth resources (as with oxygen) and also in various builds, such as reactors, recreational facilities (swimming pools, showers, etc) and colonisation pods, etc. In SoS it's a very high-demand resource, so even though it only appears in small levels in asteroids, it's often worthwhile installing at least an ultra-light mining station to extract it and ship it, to keep colony demands satisfied.

@rjord1 : Yep that fixed it, thank you. I had made a resource modification (aluminium on asteroids) but had typed it wrongly. The crash dump told me exactly where the problem was, so it's fixed now and running fine. Thank you!

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 3/10/2019 4:48:27 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 144
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI