Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The World At War TV Series

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The World At War TV Series Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The World At War TV Series - 6/18/2001 1:35:00 AM   
Gumby3D

Hay there... The past couple months every Sunday I stumble across a TV show regarding WWII and today I sat down for the whole length of it and really enjoyed it. It's like reading a history book on WWII but with actuall WWII footage from that particular event. The show today was about the War in France. From what I can guess the next show is about the War in Britain. It's great lots of good footage of tanks and such. You also get to see that war just isn't cool... So many dead, so many prisoners. Sad, but thankfully that's in the past. Anyways, I was curious if anyone else has seen these shows? Or would recommend others? I don't get the History Channel =( Would it be worth getting? From alot of the ads I've seen for the HC it looked like lots of Napoleanic stuff. Cheers ~Chris

Post #: 1
- 6/18/2001 1:45:00 AM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Gumby3D: Hay there... The past couple months every Sunday I stumble across a TV show regarding WWII and today I sat down for the whole length of it and really enjoyed it. It's like reading a history book on WWII but with actuall WWII footage from that particular event. The show today was about the War in France. From what I can guess the next show is about the War in Britain. It's great lots of good footage of tanks and such. You also get to see that war just isn't cool... So many dead, so many prisoners. Sad, but thankfully that's in the past. Anyways, I was curious if anyone else has seen these shows? Or would recommend others? I don't get the History Channel =( Would it be worth getting? From alot of the ads I've seen for the HC it looked like lots of Napoleanic stuff. Cheers ~Chris
Gumby I absolutely love the History Channel there is seldom anything else on in our house. It actually covers the 20th Century more than any other period. I would highly reccomend it. regards, sven p.s. waw is a good show

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 2
- 6/18/2001 2:01:00 AM   
Easy8

Gumby, If THC is available in your area, by all means, get it. I can't reccomend it highly enough. In addition to WAW, quality series such as Weapons at War, Great Blunders in History, WWII in Color, and 20th Century often profile WWII history.

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present" -Hobbes

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 3
- 6/18/2001 2:05:00 AM   
Gumby3D

Wow =cD You both speak very highly of THC, I think I'll have to nag my mum then ;c) Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 4
- 6/18/2001 2:07:00 AM   
Charles2222

I liked the series so much that I bought the entire 26 volume set a few years ago. Sir Lawrence Olivier was a very good narrator.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 5
- 6/18/2001 3:44:00 AM   
Drex

Wasn't there another series called "Battleline" or something like that, that discussed a single WWII battle in each episode. It introduced the leaders and armies of each side then went into the battle in depth with graphics and interviews,etc. The best I've ever seen.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 6
- 6/18/2001 5:35:00 AM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Drex: Wasn't there another series called "Battleline" or something like that, that discussed a single WWII battle in each episode. It introduced the leaders and armies of each side then went into the battle in depth with graphics and interviews,etc. The best I've ever seen.
Yes there was. They had the best info on Kursk I have ever seen. Documentaries rule.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 7
- 6/18/2001 6:30:00 AM   
Mark Ezra

I had the history channel until I moved....For 5 months I went without as the local Cable Co just wouldn't get it. Finally I got a satelite dish just so I could have the THC....by the way...much better piture and cheaper, too...

All Hail Marx and Lennon

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 8
- 6/18/2001 10:39:00 AM   
Huffy

Yes...I agree ...nothing but good to say about the History Ch.,...in fact, I made sure we would get it when we moved , otherwise I would own a sat. dish also... Huffy

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 9
- 6/18/2001 12:43:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmmmm I have like 300 cassesttes of just what you are talking about, gorgeous grade documentaries of the period of time that so fascinates us. One thing that I will say is that in a lot of them they often piece together footage that has no accuracy whatsoever to the dialogue (ie King Tigers invading Poland). But then again, you rapidly realise how phoney just about every film made by the entertainment film industry in the last 25 years truly is, when it comes to war or anything involving weapons fire or munitions. There is for instance no petroleum in most military expolsives, especially grenades. I have used grenades myself. Big bang, big puff of dust and dirt flying around, and thats it. When you get hit you fall down, you dont get thrown flying threw the air. Buildings dont burst into oil soaked flames either. Of course the unknowing public thinks those fireballs look cool I guess. Equally funny though is stuff made actually during the war. Try and see if you can actually watch the "Why We fight" series without turning the volume off heheh. It drips propoganda that you can cut with a knife. The Victory At Sea Series has incredible footage and Walter Kronkite did some outstanding stuff on Russia. I have a series of tapes of the war in Korea. Its interesting to here views from people that did NOT lose a war but came to an agreed upon cease fire. The only trouble is a lot of these series are hard to ferret out. I buy what I can, but all to often I had to copy a tape from a rental location. Suffice it to say though, until you have watched the documentaries, you cant really appreciate how Saving Private Ryan earned its respect, while Pearl Harbour is merely a flashy piece of ****. I have watched the actual attack on Pearl Harbour, the movie is a farce.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 10
- 6/18/2001 7:24:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1: Hmmmmm I have like 300 cassesttes of just what you are talking about, gorgeous grade documentaries of the period of time that so fascinates us. One thing that I will say is that in a lot of them they often piece together footage that has no accuracy whatsoever to the dialogue (ie King Tigers invading Poland). But then again, you rapidly realise how phoney just about every film made by the entertainment film industry in the last 25 years truly is, when it comes to war or anything involving weapons fire or munitions. There is for instance no petroleum in most military expolsives, especially grenades. I have used grenades myself. Big bang, big puff of dust and dirt flying around, and thats it. When you get hit you fall down, you dont get thrown flying threw the air. Buildings dont burst into oil soaked flames either. Of course the unknowing public thinks those fireballs look cool I guess. Equally funny though is stuff made actually during the war. Try and see if you can actually watch the "Why We fight" series without turning the volume off heheh. It drips propoganda that you can cut with a knife. The Victory At Sea Series has incredible footage and Walter Kronkite did some outstanding stuff on Russia. I have a series of tapes of the war in Korea. Its interesting to here views from people that did NOT lose a war but came to an agreed upon cease fire. The only trouble is a lot of these series are hard to ferret out. I buy what I can, but all to often I had to copy a tape from a rental location. Suffice it to say though, until you have watched the documentaries, you cant really appreciate how Saving Private Ryan earned its respect, while Pearl Harbour is merely a flashy piece of ****. I have watched the actual attack on Pearl Harbour, the movie is a farce.
Pearl Harbor is to Saving Private Ryan as Ishtar is to Chariots of Fire.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 11
- 6/18/2001 9:36:00 PM   
Charles2222

One thing that annoys me about a lot of these documentaries, is that they feel that they have to tell the entire history of WWII all over again, they just can't stick to the subject matter. I can't tell you how many series I've seen where they may be talking about the Luftwaffe for example, but what you get instead is the entire retelling of WWII, with a few isolated short spots on the Luftwaffe. Often enough the story of WWII is the very same one some other series is telling albeit with perhaps different pictures, and the series is supposed to be about the Tiger for example. How many different videos can you make, when you tell the history of WWII over and over, the same methodical plot, and then supposedly are focusing on another special area of that battle? If I knew that the documentary would've been the same ol' story told the same old way, with a very minor contribution to the specific subject at hand, whatever that may be, I wouldn't have bought/viewed it in the first place. [ June 18, 2001: Message edited by: Charles_22 ]

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 12
- 6/18/2001 11:22:00 PM   
Grumble

Even though "World at War" was done over 20 years ago (man, I'm old), it's still one of the best all-round documentaries on WW2. Well-balanced, and combines newsreel footage with interviews of veterans/civilians. It was one of the first, if not THE first, TV documentary to include the views of German, Italian, and Japanese veterans as well as Allied viewpoints. Excellent resource.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 13
- 6/21/2001 7:40:00 AM   
m10bob

Satellite rules!! on pay per view,i was able to get a mint copy,letterbox of "Saving Pvt Ryan",and all those great history type channels,(TLC,History channey,Biography,A&E,and HBO-where i saw "When Trumpets Fade" when they fisrt released it)...My bill has never gone up in 4 years,and they keep adding channels..(My old cable co would raise rates quicker than Betty Boop would raise her skirts!)....and noooooooo,i do not work for a satellite company........bob :D

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 14
- 6/21/2001 8:19:00 AM   
Drex

The other night A&E channel had a 2 hr documentary on Iwo Jima with interviews from actual participants. they spent more time on the raising of the two flags controversy (on day 5) than the whole battle itself. I was disgusted.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 15
- 6/21/2001 8:39:00 AM   
davidmiller

I've got the whole series of the World At War and I feel it is one of the better docs out. I have an inquiry about a series I seen back in the 70's. It only concerned the Eastern Front and it was called "The Unknown War." It was divided into various parts of the Russian Military, such as; 1 episode concerned only the Russian Marines, another episode the Air Force and so on. I've been trying to get that series since about 1990, but no one seems to have heard of it. It was made up on Russian and German combat films taken during the conflict. Would appreciate any help in finding that series. In general, wish to complement the whole forum for the pleasure it gives to learn and participate. It is always a joy to read and also see how people all over help each other out. Now if I could only find a pbem player that might be a bit more foolish in battles than me. I am still in learning stage of competing against the human race. Computer is easy.

rabid lobo

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 16
- 6/21/2001 8:40:00 AM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by david miller: I've got the whole series of the World At War and I feel it is one of the better docs out. I have an inquiry about a series I seen back in the 70's. It only concerned the Eastern Front and it was called "The Unknown War." It was divided into various parts of the Russian Military, such as; 1 episode concerned only the Russian Marines, another episode the Air Force and so on. I've been trying to get that series since about 1990, but no one seems to have heard of it. It was made up on Russian and German combat films taken during the conflict. Would appreciate any help in finding that series. In general, wish to complement the whole forum for the pleasure it gives to learn and participate. It is always a joy to read and also see how people all over help each other out. Now if I could only find a pbem player that might be a bit more foolish in battles than me. I am still in learning stage of competing against the human race. Computer is easy.
David I might take up pbem for the first time. I'll let you know. Good luck! Sven

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 17
- 6/21/2001 10:08:00 AM   
Paul

David, I believe the series, "The Unknown War" was released in this country (USA) sometime during the late 70's or early 80's. I saw it and it was fairly good. It was co-directed by the Russian cameraman, Roman Karmen, who was on the spot and photographed the siege of Leningrad. It did receive some criticism for being more of a "plug" for the Russian view of the war rather than a more historical approach. It was put together in Russia. Karmen died of a heart attack in Moscow in the spring of 1978 while putting the program together. The book, "The Unknown War" written by Harrison E. Salisbury, published by Nelson Doubleday (Military Book Club Edition-1978), is supposed to be the basis for the TV series. The program consisted of 20 one-hour episodes. Russia released a lot of the 3,500,000 meters of film shot at the front for the documentary, and some of the film was never seen by the public previously. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. I believe I have video tapes made of the programs somewhere, but I'm not sure I can even play them back on my modern VCR :-(

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 18
- 6/21/2001 10:21:00 AM   
Paul

David, Oops! I forgot to mention--I don't believe the documentary is broken down the way you described it as concerning various aspects of the Russian military. According to the book on which the series is based, the 21 chapters (each hour program?) are somewhat chronological in nature--"A Quiet Sunday", "Leningrad in Danger", "The Victory in Stalingrad", "The Last Days of Berlin", etc. I believe that was the way the various segments were presented. While the documentary covers what happened at Babi Yar, I don't recall it mentioning the Polish officer slaughter in the Katyn Forest. Perhaps the camermen were busy elsewhere that day.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 19
- 6/21/2001 8:42:00 PM   
davidmiller

Paul, Appreciate the input. If you happen to find those prints, see if you can find who published them. You are right, they were in chronilogical order. I just remember the episode on the marines in particular. Even though the Russians did the killing of the Polish officers, I don't think they admitted it for some time. They blamed the Germans and Russia ended up with egg on their face. Thank you for your quick reply. Sven, Any time you feel ready to trade barbs and possibly a vitory for either of us, just let me know. When I win my first victory by pbem, I will probally have a party for a week. So far I have several draws and several losses.

rabid lobo

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 20
- 6/21/2001 10:14:00 PM   
Belisarius

quote:

Originally posted by Drex: Wasn't there another series called "Battleline" or something like that, that discussed a single WWII battle in each episode. It introduced the leaders and armies of each side then went into the battle in depth with graphics and interviews,etc. The best I've ever seen.
Don't know if it's the same, but Discovery Channel has a series called "Battlefield", which covers many famous battles throughout history, from single events like Waterloo to long campaign-like battles like Stalingrad.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 21
- 6/22/2001 3:59:00 AM   
Wild Bill

One of my most fascinating hobbies has been over the years the collection of video tapes. I have collected two basic types: Documentaries Movies Referring to the former category, there are literally thousands of them. May I (hopefully not) bore you with a list of some of the good ones? BATTLELINE (old Series - done in the 60s, Ithink)There must be some 30+ of these, with a veteran from either side relating what went on in a particular battle. Nothing in depth, but interesting from a personal perspective. 30 minutes each episode WEAPONS OF WAR - An ongoing series mainly on the history channel. These began with technical insights into weaponry from WW2 to modern day stuff. It has since evolved into a whole new series of general info on themes such as the USMC, Paratroopers, German Elite, Rangers, History of the Tank, etc. etc. I can't even imagine just how many there are out there. I have collected over 3 dozen and don't have one-half of them. BATTLEFIELD - WW2 So far there are a series of 12, based on pivotal battles of WW2. Each episode actually recreates everything leading up to the battle, includings troops, weapons, leaders, etc. Fantastic information. These can be ordered, but I got most of mine taped off the PBS channels here in Atlanta. They are a treasure! BATTLEFIELD-VIETNAM. 12 tapes published by Time-Life. Very similar to the above series. I bought month by month but they were also on PBS. A GREAT, GREAT series to give a keen understanding to what the War in Nam was like. WORLD AT WAR - Yes, a great series for an overall worldwide view of the greatest war in history. A look from the military and civilian side of the war. I think there must be some 30+ episodes. I have them all but never counted them. VICTORY AT SEA - What can I say about this magnificent collection! The music alone makes you put on a warface. Done in the 50s, it is a visual portrayl of the great S E Morrison's book collection, History of United States Naval Operations in WW2. Each episode is 30 minutes long. You can get this set at a very reduced rate now. I've seen it as low as $60 for all six video tapes. THE GREAT CRUSADE - A televised version of Eisenhower's book on the same theme. Another great presentation of the War in Europe. Each episode is 1 hour long. VIETNAM - THE SOLDIER'S STORY - ABC News. 3 Videos done recently with stunning maps, information and other highlights of the key battles of Vietnam. A must have set! Ambush: The Battle of the Ia Drang Under Seige!: Khe Sanh Tet: The Battle for Hearts and Minds Rolling Thunder: War in the Skies Secret Wars; Secret Men Last Chopper Out: The fall of Saigon CRUSADE IN THE PACIFIC - A detailed look at the War against Japan in some 16 episodes. Some great info here for historical scenarios. Each episode is one hour long. CENTURY OF WARFARE - SOme 25 episodes that take you from the beginning of the 20th Century, through WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War and a look into the future. This one is really great. D-DAY! THE TOTAL STORY - A 3 Tape set from the history channel. You'll understand D-Day as never before. Each episode is one hour long. D-1 H-Hour Breakout MASTERS OF WAR - This one approaches great battles or campaigns from the point of view of the opposing leaders. A very unique approach to many familiar and some unfamiliar battles of the 20th Century, WWI, WW2, Vietnam. GI DIARY - I have not seen this one around in a while. I think there are some 20+ episodes, personalized by the narrative of one who was there. 30 Minutes each episode. WINSTON CHURCHILL - THE VALIANT YEARS I think there are about 12 chapters (programs) in this one. A visual resume of Churchill's writings on the war. BATTLE FOR THE PACIFIC - A series of 8 programs that cover the entire Pacific War in a very unique and informative approach. This one is now very hard to find. VARIOUS Single episodes abound! Airmobility. History of the ACav, Tarawa, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, Battle of the Bulge, Market Garden...all present the battles or campaigns in great detail. I have dozens of these. Here are a few that I think are really collectors items for those so inclined. THE SCREAMING EAGLES THE PANZER DIVISIONS SEA LION DIEPPE SOMALIA DIEN BIEN PHU 10th MOUNTAIN DIVISION THE GOTHIC LINE UP THE DEADLY BOOT TARAWA - 3 DAYS OF HELL And on and on, but I've written a book already. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 22
- 6/22/2001 4:14:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Looks like Wild Bill and me have the same obsession. I have a collection that is damn hard to add to. One series that has been unmentioned thus far is "The War Years". It encompasses WW1 WW2 and a lot of postwar material as well. It has the same look as "The World At War" series just a bit broader range of date. I cant stress enough to the younger mob on here, until you have actually "seen" a lot of this footage, actually watched what your grandfathers experienced, WW2 will always look wrong in your minds. True some of the material looks a bit repetitive, its inevitable. The film industry in the 40's though wasnt the film industry of today. We have what we have to work with. And nothing new is forthcoming.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 23
- 6/22/2001 4:18:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Indeed we do, Sarge. We'll have to compare notes :D The other collection, War Movies, is one of my greatest treasures. I still occasionally pull one out and watch it. There are now about 200 + in this collection ( I need to update my list) and I know I'll never live long enough to watch 'em all again, BUT, it is nice having them there just in case I do :D Wild Bil

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 24
- 6/22/2001 5:46:00 AM   
davidmiller

Les the Sarge or Wild Bill, Have either of you heard of that series called The Unknown War of which I was in search of previously. Only 1 gentleman has replied in the affirmative but was unable to furnish who publisher was. Can you possibly help or perhapes, put me on the proper trail to find the series. I also have a good collection of VHS tapes pertaining to mainly World War II and some Vietnam. I am trying to build up my collection of mainly Eastern Front including all participants. (i.e. Germany,Russia,Italy,Romania,Hungary,Finland,Estonia,Latvia)

rabid lobo

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 25
- 6/22/2001 5:53:00 AM   
Gumby3D

Hmm ya Sarge I agree... I know I'm prolly the youngest member of these forums and indeed the most uneducated-on-subjects-having-to-do-with-or subject-to-world-war-2-and-war-in-general but everytime I play Steel Panthers, or Sudden-Strike, or European Air War, I get this feeling that what I'm playing is such a puny representation. It is really just glammed up combat, it doesn't show the hardships faced... Like famine, fleas.... An empty rifle... Or, having to run from your home in fear of losing your life... It's just not good... War isn't good... =c\ Cheers ~Chris

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 26
- 6/22/2001 6:50:00 AM   
Wild Bill

True, but you can get a feel for the historical situation, the tensions, the emotions that one might feel in role playing leadership decisions. That is one of the main reasons I enjoy this so much. But yes, War is brutal! I would not deny that! It is interesting that many vets and military folks do also enjoy the game. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 27
- 6/22/2001 7:57:00 AM   
Charles2222

Yeah, I think ANY grognard would appreciate Battlefield WWII. It was on PBS, and I never noted what time or day it was on, but if I managed to turn to the channel when it was on, it just sucked me in. I'd think that I would just catch a glimpse, and before I knew it 30 minutes went by and it didn't matter how much that particular subject at hand may had been generally unappealing to me. The computer graphics, the music and the pace just suck you in. It was done so well that it reminded me somewhat of that The Civil War series that was REAL good and lasted seemingly forever.

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 28
- 6/22/2001 12:58:00 PM   
Wild Bill

In full agreement with you Charles. Battlefield is probably the best series out there for our particular needs. David, I have heard of it, but never seen it. I think it would be a great addition. I'll definitely take a look around for it somewhere! Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 29
- 6/23/2001 8:00:00 AM   
davidmiller

Thanks WB, and also thanks to you for creating a monster out of me. When I finally get ready to sleep after attempting to devise a way thru one of your senarios, my wife always ask why I keep muttering to myself to dig deeper holes and spot the claymores. (Hmmm, that wasn'nt in WWII).

rabid lobo

(in reply to Gumby3D)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> The World At War TV Series Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI