Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 2:23:54 PM   
Lowpe

Just got an email from Wargamr wanting to check on our HRs, we almost none:

Ok, everything sounds good, and I agree there is a counter for most things so I think we can avoid almost all HRs.

Single ship TF spam, with 20 individual pt boats, or xakls or barges is to my mind gamey.

Need to think a bit on mods, but for now lets go with a scenario 1 style game either stock, dababes etc. Don't really want to play with John III mods.

Plane resizing...lets try a cap of 45 for fighters, 36 for bombers or 36 for both for simplicity. You can use the size 90 or larger for training if you want to...but I won't as pilot shortage was a big factor for Japan and there is a downside for Japan in super sizing their air groups in greater supply/hi cost. This is/was not a problem for Allies and have no problem with large training groups for them and encourage you to do so.

I think I would add off base invasions a no no. At least I am paying PP to cross borders, don't know about Wargamr.

Anyhow, now I am nervous!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 691
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 2:53:56 PM   
Lowpe

Here is a thought I have been mulling over for a while for a new hr or two:

1. The Soviet Union is a force unto itself, and quite frankly doesn't really care how long it takes the Allies to reduce Honshu to rubble, they are in the war for themselves only.

What the Soviet union takes is for them alone. If the Allies wish to send troops to soviet controlled bases, then they have to pay the PP to do so. IF the Soviets want to send troops to Allied bases then they have to spend the PP to do so. Only one side or the other may participate in attacks if they are in the same hex and not part of an expeditionary army.

No basing of Allied planes at Soviet bases without Allied ground support. No basing of Soviet planes at Allied bases without Soviet air support present. In these situations you cannot exceed your own sides AV support for the number of planes operating. PP need to be paid for both planes and troops.

I would like to restrict somewhat the rearming of ships, but haven't yet thought it thru.

2. No steaming up the Yangtze river past Japanese CD gun units (DP guns don't count) if they are functional. Functional is 25% or more not disabled, supplied, disruption less than 75%. Honors system here as Japan will inform Allies when said guns are not functional.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/9/2019 2:54:43 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 692
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 6:53:46 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 29, 1942

I hate this.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 693
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 6:59:41 PM   
Lowpe

Perth takes a damaging 46cm hit...hopefully it causes some inability to flee.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 694
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 7:10:05 PM   
Lowpe

Daytime engagement, the Mushashi really reacted to hit these guys...poor ship build on my part, Mushashi should have been with 6-8 destroyers only.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/9/2019 9:15:14 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 695
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 7:12:40 PM   
Lowpe

Perth goes down...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 696
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 7:16:39 PM   
Lowpe

Oi sinks during the daytime...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 697
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 7:19:38 PM   
Lowpe

Still chasing them...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 698
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/9/2019 7:20:37 PM   
Lowpe

The rest seemingly have gotten away...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 699
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 12:39:59 PM   
Lowpe

Nov 30, 1942

Disappointing amount of losses, but we will take it anyhow. Had to bomb these guys for a week or so to finally force them out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 700
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 12:42:34 PM   
Lowpe

Japanese troops were a tad bid overstacked, but the attack goes well. Goal is to take Chungking with 7 attacks or less, this is the second and we drop the forts a point to 5.

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 127264 troops, 1727 guns, 1847 vehicles, Assault Value = 3904

Defending force 229860 troops, 338 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3310

Japanese adjusted assault: 2275

Allied adjusted defense: 1709

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 6)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 5

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), preparation(-)
experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
9147 casualties reported
Squads: 36 destroyed, 601 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 73 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 59 disabled
Guns lost 57 (2 destroyed, 55 disabled)
Vehicles lost 134 (1 destroyed, 133 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
20307 casualties reported
Squads: 584 destroyed, 278 disabled
Non Combat: 495 destroyed, 465 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 22 (14 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Units destroyed 7

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 701
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 12:49:43 PM   
Lowpe

Allies are up to something here! I keep wondering what tactic that could be HR against, the Allies plan to pull. Skip bombing by beasts? Off base invasions (which I really dislike)? Low level night bombing (scratch that, already done)

Can't really think of anything else...I believe he is pulling troops back by air, and will now look to pull them back by fast transport?

Adak bombarded and bombed. They still have supply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/10/2019 12:51:08 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 702
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 1:05:24 PM   
Lowpe

With Dec 1 arriving, Japan gets a few new plane models.

The KAI Dinah, fighter, with the worst climb rate of any Japanese fighter, and a huge cannon that can't hit and runs out of ammo quickly. Still, we will build 30 a month and assign them to night fighter duty. It also might make for a good lrcap plane to catch transports.

The D4Y1 Judy arrives, which I elected not to accelerate. This is a very substantial improvement over Vals. Most JFB's do accelerate this plane.

Sally IIb, Sallies are the mainstay of my bomber fleet. Hardly making any Helens at all.

Nick B: No plans to make them, but an interesting thing occurred. I got the C version a month ago, and had production of both A and C going on, A model upgraded to the B(which was still in research) and then upgraded again to the C and resumed production. This is realistic r&d off and the Nick A unit was set to upgrade. Never saw that before. So no more A models for me, which I had planned on building until the Randy came along.

The Allies get Liberators and Recon Liberators (yuck), while the Chinese get the P40E.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 3/10/2019 1:06:46 PM >

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 703
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 1:15:41 PM   
Lowpe

Next Month, Jan 1 of 1943, the Japanese will get the great Lilly divebomber and also the Dinah III recon another great plane.

However, Jan also sees the dreaded Corsair becoming active in a land based fighter role. Ugh! My only counter is the Tojo IIa.

Mid-March of 1943 should see the Jack arrive, and Frank should come 2nd Quarter of 1943 sometime.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 704
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 1:33:46 PM   
Lowpe

AD and AR are working hard on getting these destroyers ready for a return to Honshu and major repairs. All mine hits.

There is no difference between Normal and Critical, but one ship just finished repairing and it was set to normal. I am too lazy to switch them all to normal.

15 more days for the Yamato to finish repairs.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 705
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 2:01:56 PM   
Lowpe

Blizzard and Thunderstorms are easily spotted by checking weather...damaged ships have to exit the winter area rapidly before heading back to Honshu.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 706
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 3:12:46 PM   
RangerJoe

At least the games ends the winter weather on 1 March. Around here, it lasts much longer. One time, it made the national news that a major resort area still had the lakes frozen over one week before opening fishing in May . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 707
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 4:26:56 PM   
Lowpe

Dec 1, 1942

First day after the 2nd attack. Rotating almost all infantry out one hex. Tank Division is already resting in the open being tended by an HQ unit. Also moving out an HQ to avoid over stacking in Chungking proper.

The road south of Chungking is now in Japanese hands, that leaves two avenues of retreat E & SE. A paratroop unit is heading for the hex SE, and E is open...not sure if I will close that off or not. Most likely will close it off ere the end.

More and more local runways are getting to size 4 with air support being flown in...which means more and more sorties against Chungking. Tasked one Sally group to hit the runways to prevent the unlikely chance of fort building.

Now is the time to keep up the pace of attacks on Chungking...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 708
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 4:28:02 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

At least the games ends the winter weather on 1 March. Around here, it lasts much longer. One time, it made the national news that a major resort area still had the lakes frozen over one week before opening fishing in May . . .

RangerJoe, where in the world are you?

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 709
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 5:18:46 PM   
RangerJoe

Someplace where we can have snow on the 4th of July and then again in September.

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 710
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 5:39:05 PM   
tarkalak

When I was in Big Sky - Montana it was snowing. In June.

That was 7-8 years ago and the locals were slightly, but not very, amused.

I do not know what is scarier: that I do understand nothing of this demonic script or that I am starting to see the demons that it evokes.

Me, studying for a PHD entry exam in Applied Mathematics.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 711
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 9:33:26 PM   
Canoerebel

In mid- and late-May of 2014, I took my family on a long road-trip/camping trip across the west and north. On Mother's Day, we had sleet at Hovenweep National Monument in Utah. A week later, we camped in four-foot snow drifts in Grand Teton National Park. A week after that, we camped on the shore of Lake Superior on Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The ice pack still existed on Superior, just offshore. That was one heckuva damp and cold experience for us southerners.

(in reply to tarkalak)
Post #: 712
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/10/2019 10:01:50 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

. . . That was one heckuva damp and cold experience for us southerners.

That is just typical spring weather . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 713
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 12:05:53 AM   
Lokasenna

2013-2014 was the second-coldest winter on record in Duluth. That's probably why.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 714
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 12:20:11 AM   
RangerJoe

I remember one year in February it got down to -56 F. An hours drive away it officially went down to -60 F. Unofficially, it was -72 F from where the cold air was coming from. People were using bananas to pound nails into boards. I blame that cold weather on the fact that I had just gotten my hairs cut on the top of my head . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 715
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 12:25:58 AM   
Canoerebel

In the Deep South, where I've spent my life, May is basically a full-summer month. There are occasional cool days but most days are hot as blazes while the nights range from coolish to mild. Typical temps might be highs in the mid to upper 80s and lows in the low to mid 60s. Down here, there is no comprehension of ice in that lovely month.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 716
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 1:04:13 AM   
RangerJoe

quote:

. . . Down here, there is no comprehension of ice in that lovely month.

Sure there is - in your iced tea or another beverage . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 717
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 8:31:14 AM   
Bif1961

I was born and raised in MI but live in Alabama now. We use to say in MI that the last measurable snow in the lower peninsula will be between 1-15 April and in the upper between 15-30 April. Winters when I was growing up in MI in the 60s and 70s were su brutal it is when they came up with colored balls to stick on the top of the radio antennas so that someone can see over the snowdrift at a 4-way stop to see if another car was present. According to my relatives this winter there has been on par with those 40-50 years ago

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 718
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 8:57:15 AM   
RangerJoe

I fondly remember it frequently being -30 F on Christmas eve . . .

I understand that at Sault Sainte Marie that people would sometimes have to get out of the second story window to shovel the snow. Think if you lived in a one story house . . .

A friend of mine moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, from Sault Saint Marie. I wonder why . . .

One time, the city crew in my hometown was clearing the snow from the streets, the grader with the wing out decided to take the roof off a car parked on the side of the street.

One time, I understand that Duluth, Minnesota, only had 36 inches of snow for Halloween. The snow did not melt until the next spring. I also understand that the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources let people use snowmobiles to get the their deer stands for deer hunting season.

A couple of times in Texas, the Army cancelled the day because there was an inch and a half of snow on the ground. That was rough on a Friday morning . . .

― Julia Child

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 719
RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) - 3/11/2019 9:25:54 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Here is a thought I have been mulling over for a while for a new hr or two:

1. The Soviet Union is a force unto itself, and quite frankly doesn't really care how long it takes the Allies to reduce Honshu to rubble, they are in the war for themselves only.

What the Soviet union takes is for them alone. If the Allies wish to send troops to soviet controlled bases, then they have to pay the PP to do so. IF the Soviets want to send troops to Allied bases then they have to spend the PP to do so. Only one side or the other may participate in attacks if they are in the same hex and not part of an expeditionary army.

No basing of Allied planes at Soviet bases without Allied ground support. No basing of Soviet planes at Allied bases without Soviet air support present. In these situations you cannot exceed your own sides AV support for the number of planes operating. PP need to be paid for both planes and troops.

I would like to restrict somewhat the rearming of ships, but haven't yet thought it thru.

2. No steaming up the Yangtze river past Japanese CD gun units (DP guns don't count) if they are functional. Functional is 25% or more not disabled, supplied, disruption less than 75%. Honors system here as Japan will inform Allies when said guns are not functional.

Interesting ideas. Some thoughts.

1. During the war, if we're modelling on history, the Soviets would likely have struggled to be as strong as they are in game in 42 especially. They hadn't fully ramped up production, nor gotten the biggest benefits from lend-lease, and were still in a quagmire of a massive slugfest against the Germans. I think bullets would have been in shorter supply than they seem in game.

If they had been able to fight though, my guess is that they would have chosen to ally directly with the Chinese and pushed into Northern China to isolate the Japanese in Manchuria from the rest of the Chinese Expeditionary force. They wold have teamed up well and forced the Chinese to let them use what they wanted in exchange for their troops and air support, and would have had hopes of extending control post-war into Northern China.

2. The Yangtze questions is a tough one. It's hard to limit this since it's a game feature, and those CD guns would not be able to necessarily shut the entire passage of the river against quick Allied Fletchers with lots of return firepower. Most of the mobile Japanese units aren't so big or overwhelming. I understand they wold make a difference, but if cruisers can sail up to Wuchang (as they are allowed to in game) then any invaded force could bring a lot of firepower. I'd have to test how effect CD guns would be on ships moving upriver to see how this should be modelled.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Lowpe (Japan) vs Wargamr (Allies) Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI