Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

headaches matching air units to air bases

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> headaches matching air units to air bases Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
headaches matching air units to air bases - 2/26/2019 4:22:25 PM   
antoniusb

Driving me crazy trying to re-organize my air units on the first turn. What would be REALLY helpful would be having the ability in air transfer mode not just to see which airbases are under the same command as the base from which I wish to transfer aircraft, but seeing WHICH command those bases are under that are under a different command. Would seem to be easy to add this to the info that is presented when mousing over the hex where it shows the NAME of the base, the SIZE of the base, DAMAGE and existing aircraft assigned to that base. The ONLY information that is NOT provided is that which would be most useful (the current command assignment). To get that information means unclicking the air unit that I want to transfer so I have to store in my memory the hex that had the unit I wanted to transfer when I find a compatible base.

I suppose that at some point I will memorize the command assigned to each airbase on the map (assuming I dont re-assign some air bases to different commands which I would have a desire to do if not for the fact that it interferes with committing the airbase assignments to memory). My hope is that someone will point out to me what an idiot I am for not seeing the obvious solution to this because at this point the air org aspect of this game makes WITE look like a piece of cake. Would really hope that from a design aspect that a goal of the developers would be to require the least amount a player would need to commit a piece of information in order to complete a task (e.g. which hex was that unit in now that I found the hex where I want to move/assign it to).
Post #: 1
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 2/27/2019 7:42:28 PM   
JoeyBlau

The whole air war portion is not what I wanted when I purchased this game. I want a D-Day style invasion of Europe with a real supply function. I want some CAS and some limited use of bombers and I want easier control over corp level assets.

I can take some micro management of a strategic bomber force but this is ridiculous. Also.. why can't we get rid of Italy and ignore it if we want.

and lastly.. I would like an invasion of Sicily in 1942 instead of Torch.

(in reply to antoniusb)
Post #: 2
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 2/27/2019 10:38:41 PM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: antoniusb

Driving me crazy trying to re-organize my air units on the first turn. What would be REALLY helpful would be having the ability in air transfer mode not just to see which airbases are under the same command as the base from which I wish to transfer aircraft, but seeing WHICH command those bases are under that are under a different command. Would seem to be easy to add this to the info that is presented when mousing over the hex where it shows the NAME of the base, the SIZE of the base, DAMAGE and existing aircraft assigned to that base. The ONLY information that is NOT provided is that which would be most useful (the current command assignment). To get that information means unclicking the air unit that I want to transfer so I have to store in my memory the hex that had the unit I wanted to transfer when I find a compatible base.

I suppose that at some point I will memorize the command assigned to each airbase on the map (assuming I dont re-assign some air bases to different commands which I would have a desire to do if not for the fact that it interferes with committing the airbase assignments to memory). My hope is that someone will point out to me what an idiot I am for not seeing the obvious solution to this because at this point the air org aspect of this game makes WITE look like a piece of cake. Would really hope that from a design aspect that a goal of the developers would be to require the least amount a player would need to commit a piece of information in order to complete a task (e.g. which hex was that unit in now that I found the hex where I want to move/assign it to).

remember there is no advantage/disadvantage to mixing air units/air base commands (this rule was removed in a patch).

Havinh said that, its handy to match this up. Easiest solution? Set the airbase commands first, then its easy to see where you plan to redeploy your air units.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JoeyBlau

The whole air war portion is not what I wanted when I purchased this game. I want a D-Day style invasion of Europe with a real supply function. I want some CAS and some limited use of bombers and I want easier control over corp level assets.

I can take some micro management of a strategic bomber force but this is ridiculous. Also.. why can't we get rid of Italy and ignore it if we want.

and lastly.. I would like an invasion of Sicily in 1942 instead of Torch.

Again, you can hand it to the AI, either totally or partly. Pick your level of engagement from none, to setting air priorities to micro-managing load outs and altitudes.

(in reply to JoeyBlau)
Post #: 3
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 3/16/2019 5:04:50 PM   
antoniusb

Good to know that there is no penalty for basing air units on air bases under different commands but being kind of OCD about it so I end up doing it anyway. At this point, I have almost memorized the airbase map and which ones I change out on turn one. I usually change the command of about half of the airbases on the island on turn one - not sure what good the fighter and tactical air wing tactical bases do that are positioned well out of range of German controlled territory. I realize this risks supply bottlenecks on my rail lines but Ramsgate and Dover already have port depots so I would think that it would not be a problem to construct level 3 airbases in those cities. Perhaps when I start staging troops there for mainland invasion this will create overloaded supply requirement but that being several months away I can always scale down my air units based there at that stage. By invasion time, I should have achieved air supremacy so can afford to put aux/drop tanks on my shorter range planes without suffering attrition in air combat. The fighter/tac air wings should also have improved organic range as well.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 3/23/2019 7:29:23 PM   
Mac Linehan

Hi loki100 -

Original:
remember there is no advantage/disadvantage to mixing air units/air base commands (this rule was removed in a patch).

I had forgotten the change; nice to know, it makes life so much easier.

Gents -

After several false starts, I reread (again!) all the rules over Christmas break, but this time I stuck with it. Am playing the Torch to Tunisia Campaign as the Allies. Each turn is slow, because if I do not understand, I will reread the relevant rules section until the basics are understood.

Experience will only come with playing, over time.

I would also highly recommend the excellent Beginners Guides and Tutorials that are stickied at the top of the forum.

WitW has many in game menus and references (the Commander's Report is an absolute must); the data and information is there, it just takes time to learn where and what to look for.

Stay with it; it's all in the details (that would be you, antoniusb!).

I am past the tipping point and progressing steadily, and, most importantly, enjoy playing enormously.

loki100 is very knowledgeable, his posts are will worth reading.

LiquidSky is another; there are a number of very experienced players who are generous with their time and help.

I would also comment, that after playing one day turns in War in the Pacific AE (which I will always love), WitW's one week turns are a pleasure and move things right along.

OK. That's it.

My best to you all.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 3/23/2019 7:38:14 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 5
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 8/20/2019 5:01:46 PM   
npsergio

quote:

I tried to find this rule change in the "what's new" file but I haven´t found it.
Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 6
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 8/20/2019 5:19:17 PM   
loki100

yes, its correct, should be in the living manual but maybe was overlooked?

(in reply to npsergio)
Post #: 7
RE: headaches matching air units to air bases - 8/20/2019 6:17:50 PM   
npsergio

It's not in the living manual, nor in the readme files

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room >> headaches matching air units to air bases Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI