Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Much quicker response!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Much quicker response! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Much quicker response! - 6/20/2003 1:17:33 AM   
Frenchie

Why, when I posted a solution to a known defective piece of software (namely SafeDisc) did I get a much quicker response than when I posted a genuine call for help. Westwood had a similar problem with Dune 2000 and released a patch to allow the software to run on CD drives that could not read the SafeDisc info correctly.

I have a legitimate copy of SUDG and will now continue to enjoy playing it on my laptop using a legitimate back-up and a suitable work-around downloaded from a site that has not been shut down for breach of copyright.
Post #: 1
- 6/22/2003 4:47:21 AM   
Vaaish

It sounds likeyou are saying that STUNDG won't start up because of safedisc and you want a patch for it.

approximate translation:

I bought STUNDG and it doesn't like my CD drive so I burned a copy of it and got a crack so I can run the copy on my laptop.

-Vaaish

(in reply to Frenchie)
Post #: 2
- 6/22/2003 1:32:51 PM   
Frenchie

That's just about right, I didn't even need to burn a copy as it was a noCD crack. My main point, however is why do games companies insist on using SafeDisc which is incompatible with many CD drives and is easily overridden by freely available patches (so no real benefit to the end user or the programmer)

There will always be piracy and no security measure is ever going to stop it, so the only way companies are going to make money is by producing high quality merchandise that the average punter will not mind parting with their money for (On a high note, I feel that SUDG falls into that bracket)

This was never intended to be a rant, just a simple request for a work-around that never got a reply - the original post got pulled as I posted the URL of the crack:p

(in reply to Frenchie)
Post #: 3
- 6/22/2003 1:42:04 PM   
Fallschirmjager

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frenchie
[B]That's just about right, I didn't even need to burn a copy as it was a noCD crack. My main point, however is why do games companies insist on using SafeDisc which is incompatible with many CD drives and is easily overridden by freely available patches (so no real benefit to the end user or the programmer)

There will always be piracy and no security measure is ever going to stop it, so the only way companies are going to make money is by producing high quality merchandise that the average punter will not mind parting with their money for (On a high note, I feel that SUDG falls into that bracket)

This was never intended to be a rant, just a simple request for a work-around that never got a reply - the original post got pulled as I posted the URL of the crack:p [/B][/QUOTE]

Its like posting how to break into a car when you lock your keys in there...you mean well...but you have to expect that the thread will get locked

(in reply to Frenchie)
Post #: 4
- 6/22/2003 2:11:19 PM   
Frenchie

I didn't doubt that the post would get pulled, but I did get a much faster reply to my prob when I posted a solution didn't I?

(in reply to Frenchie)
Post #: 5
- 6/22/2003 9:47:52 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Hi Frenchie, I think that you're misunderstanding the purpose of things like SafeDisc. It's not to stop the hardcore pirating community. It's to stop people from casually making copies for others.

Why do games companies insist on using things like SafeDisc? Simple mathematics. They believe that it pays for itself for the reason stated above.

It's certainly not a perfect solution, but the world is not a perfect place. Kind of why we have to go through the hassles of putting locks on everything from our gym lockers to our cars.

While I believe you think that you're doing a great service to the owners of the game by posting links to CD-less patches, you do it at the expense of the people who brought you the game in the first place. At least have the common courtesy to not post it on the website of the publisher of the game.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to Frenchie)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Much quicker response! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI