Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When Trumpets Fade

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> When Trumpets Fade Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When Trumpets Fade - 6/18/2001 10:28:00 PM   
tracer

Was down with the flu this weekend so my wife brought home a video; she asked the guy at the store for a war picture and he gave her When Trumpets Fade. I used to rate the German film 'Stalingrad' as the most realistic war film until I saw this one. I was a little suspicious when I saw it was an HBO (TV!) movie and as I read through the relativly unknown cast, but afterward the word that kept coming to mind was 'authentic'. Gritty, but not flashy; its dead-on portrayal of the 'unheroic' hero was what struck home with me. What added to the believability was the fact that the cast really looked and acted like average recruits fresh out of high school. I'm sure there's many here who have seen it, but if you haven't I think its worth checking out.

Jim NSB
Post #: 1
- 6/18/2001 10:39:00 PM   
Resisti

I'd be interested in find it out in one of the local store here; could you give me some more details,cause i dont remember this original title nor i know which could be the translated one in italian. Year,actors names,etc. Txs.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 2
- 6/18/2001 11:22:00 PM   
Spike

Figured I'd plug one of my favorite movie sites - http://www.imdb.com Says it's from 1998.. (this isn't meant to be an advertisement, just that IMDB is a great resource for finding out movie info!) :)

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 3
- 6/18/2001 11:35:00 PM   
tracer

Thanks for the heads up Spike. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0135706

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 4
- 6/19/2001 5:03:00 AM   
Resisti

Txs guys,you're great!

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 5
- 6/19/2001 7:31:00 AM   
murr

i saw this film about a year ago and thought it was very good.i especially liked how the movie ended as it began but with the "HERO" in the role of the wounded man. i would recommend it to war movie lovers.

GOOD HUNTING!

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 6
- 6/20/2001 2:10:00 AM   
Belisarius

I didn't realize it was this movie, until I read the plot summary @ imdb ...did see it some months ago by chance. I think Canal Digital aired it. The summaries don't tell but if I remember it correctly, the story is set during the Battle of the Bulge. Good realism and nice plot, although the bigger hardware pieces (e.g. german tanks) do seem a bit 'studio-welded'. Excellent photography at times, like the scene where the platoon advances towards enemy lines, and you can see the mines several cutscenes before the first one is triggered. :) Also has some archive footage featuring Bradley and Montgomery. [ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

Got StuG?

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 7
- 6/20/2001 3:26:00 AM   
murr

Actually it was set during the battle for the Hurtgen Forest.

GOOD HUNTING!

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 8
- 6/20/2001 6:09:00 AM   
tracer

quote:

Originally posted by oggie: Actually it was set during the battle for the Hurtgen Forest.
Right. The beginning of the credits has a blurb stating this battle (which resulted in 24,000 US casualties)was overshadowed by the Battle of the Bulge which began several days later. Hurtgen Forest area map (circa 1944)

Jim NSB

(in reply to tracer)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> When Trumpets Fade Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI