Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Random Questions from a New Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/11/2019 2:33:47 PM   
brian800000

quote:

to not only damage the air

The date is early May 1942. I've prepped for 3 islands.

2 6k atolls, and
1 30k atoll

I have 24 APs and 9 AKs on hand. they will be supplemented by very small xAPs and xAKs that seem able to unload quickly.

All my invasion forces are 100% prepped.

For each the 6k atolls, i have an invasion force of 1 US Army Infantry regiment, 1 Raider Bn, 1 armoured BN, and 1 combat engineer unit. That brings me just over the stacking limit--it seems like the only thing I could add to improve my odds is to replace the US Army unit with Marines, or go well over the stacking limit.

For the 30k atoll, it is a similar force but a US division.

I only have 2 BBs on hand to support this, but about 15 cruisers. My thoughts are to hit the 3 simultaneously with cruiser based bombardment fleets, while the invasion forces are slightly staggered to allow the BBs to replenish at newly conquered islands and support the ground combat. If I can take the first island, i'll also land some fighters with AKVs to get some air cover.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 241
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/11/2019 3:04:16 PM   
rockmedic109

Can one of the islands support an airbase up to size 4 and be close enough to the others for medium bombers to hit them?

Sustained operations chew up the number of sorties a carrier can use before needing to resupply. You do not want to use up all your avgas and bombs before an enemy carrier force makes an appearance.

Also, I tend to spread out my Land Units on more APs than required. Puts more of them in harms way but should you loose one on the way in, you might be able to rescue more of the hapless soldiers. I am unsure of how this works in the game. I see the "some survivors rescued by task force" in the reports, but I do not know how the game factors this {just adds a few troops back to the pools?}.

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 242
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/11/2019 3:07:47 PM   
brian800000

No enemy carriers will be making an appearance, following a series of unfortunate carrier battles for the Japanese.

< Message edited by brian800000 -- 2/11/2019 3:09:43 PM >

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 243
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/11/2019 6:48:53 PM   
BBfanboy

1. Do not worry too much about the stacking limit up to a about 2X the limit - the penalty is apparently small. Just have some ships loaded with supply only that can land enough to support the troops and pay the minor penalty for overstack. Then be prepared to withdraw some of the troops once the island is taken.

2. Be aware that islands designated "Atoll" cause the landing troops to shock attack on landing. If forts are high and the defenders are not much disrupted the landing troops could be roughly handled. High forts protect fairly well against CA bombardment but multiple BB bombardments can disrupt the enemy. Bombing is also helpful.

3. Keep a couple of CA per island to embed in the landing TF. Embed one only, to suppress enemy fire during the landings, and it will use up most of its ammo doing that. At the start of the next turn, swap in the fresh CA to continue suppression support on day two.

4. Survivors picked up from a sinking ship lack all the heavy equipment their unit might have had and are treated as disabled, but they will land with the rest of the troops and can fill out the missing TOE stuff later. They just aren't much help!

5. You can use one round of carrier sorties to support the initial landings by bombing the target islands, but reserve the rest of your sorties to take on enemy TFs that the AI will throw at you if the targets are on the "defend" list for that script.

6. Don't land your aircraft right away - the airfield will likely be inoperable and landed aircraft will just be targets for enemy bombing or bombardments.

7. Make sure you have TFs to deal with subs, mini-subs, PTs, mines and SCTFs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 244
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/11/2019 6:56:40 PM   
BBfanboy

PS - I like your mix of forces but would also suggest a battalion of 155mm artillery for each landing. Good for battering defenders behind forts. I would recommend them over the Raider units which are small in AV and small in firepower because of the lack of heavy weapons. Use the raiders as a mobile reserve to land on an island that is close to falling but your other units are getting fatigued and you just need a little more oomph.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 245
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/13/2019 12:22:34 AM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

PS - I like your mix of forces but would also suggest a battalion of 155mm artillery for each landing. Good for battering defenders behind forts. I would recommend them over the Raider units which are small in AV and small in firepower because of the lack of heavy weapons. Use the raiders as a mobile reserve to land on an island that is close to falling but your other units are getting fatigued and you just need a little more oomph.

I actually had artillery in the mix but forgot to mention (that was the only unit i forgot)!

I was reflecting on the advice you guys had. Reserve forces for an atoll are going to need to be prepped, right? Meaning if i don't want to push off the invasion i'm going to need to wait a few more months.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 246
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/13/2019 5:05:39 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

quote:

I actually had artillery in the mix but forgot to mention (that was the only unit i forgot)!

I was reflecting on the advice you guys had. Reserve forces for an atoll are going to need to be prepped, right? Meaning if i don't want to push off the invasion i'm going to need to wait a few more months.

Once you land troops you establish a beachhead and subsequent landings will suffer much less from being under-prepped. They will not be as effective in combat because of their lack of prep but if you only need the equivalent of a few AV ...

Post #: 247
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/13/2019 5:45:05 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The date is early May 1942. I've prepped for 3 islands.

2 6k atolls, and
1 30k atoll

I have 24 APs and 9 AKs on hand. they will be supplemented by very small xAPs and xAKs that seem able to unload quickly.

All my invasion forces are 100% prepped.

The only thing I'll say here is if its an AI game go for it. In a PBEM I doubt its a good idea this early on.

quote:

For each the 6k atolls, i have an invasion force of 1 US Army Infantry regiment, 1 Raider Bn, 1 armoured BN, and 1 combat engineer unit.

That force is a bit slim if the atoll is defended by 4-5k troops.

Anyway.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 248
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/13/2019 6:00:59 PM   
btd64

If you lose those early AP/AK's your kind of screwed for any action in 42....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 249
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 2/13/2019 8:35:13 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

If you lose those early AP/AK's your kind of screwed for any action in 42....GP

I think losses to the APs would be the biggest risk. Allies swim in everything but AP and APA losses will do more to limit future operations than losses to land units.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 250
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 3/28/2019 9:26:02 PM   
brian800000

It has been a while; I'm not so new anymore!

Question about ship withdrawals...I'm coming up on my brit carriers withdrawing...I've noticed that their air groups don't have withdrawal dates...is it common to withdraw them without air groups and keep those in the game? Or is that considered gamey? (I assume that British command wouldn't have been amused by their Pacific command if their carriers moved to the Atlantic without their airgroups).

Post #: 251
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 3/28/2019 10:50:30 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

Question about ship withdrawals...I'm coming up on my brit carriers withdrawing...I've noticed that their air groups don't have withdrawal dates...is it common to withdraw them without air groups and keep those in the game? Or is that considered gamey? (I assume that British command wouldn't have been amused by their Pacific command if their carriers moved to the Atlantic without their airgroups).

Certainly not gamey, but depends on how historical you want to feel I guess. I think it is perfectly fine and even highly advisable to leave Brit air groups on the map for some pilot training. No withdrawal date - no scenario obligations implied. YMMV
In general, the question is more about airframes and pilots than groups as units. So you would also consider whether to strip experienced pilots and modern airframes from the groups if leaving the latter on Brit CVs?
Also, I imagine most of Allied players try to upgrade withdrawing US air groups to obsolete airframes to keep modern ones on the theatre, not to mention getting all the pilots off. European command would not be amused

Post #: 252
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 3/28/2019 10:52:17 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

It has been a while; I'm not so new anymore!

I haven't seen anyone consider it gamey- you can keep the air groups. When the carrier returns later in the game it will not have air groups on but in the meantime you will have gotten use out of them and hopefully increased their experience levels.
Be aware that matching air units with air support on land is a juggling act during the first year of game time. Adding several additional air groups to the mix will complicate this, but eventually you can get them all where they need to be.

Post #: 253
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 4/26/2019 2:26:16 PM   
Edward75

Weather Map. On screen show weather for last turn or next turn?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 254
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 4/26/2019 5:20:45 PM   
BBfanboy

The big weather map shows trends for the next turn. Weather in an individual hex will vary and can vary within the same turn. All you know is that, on average, the hexes within each square of the trend map will tend to get more like that "prediction".

(in reply to Edward75)
Post #: 255
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 4/26/2019 5:26:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

No enemy carriers will be making an appearance, following a series of unfortunate carrier battles for the Japanese.

Well, if you've effectively wiped out the Japanese carrier force in May 1942, why stop with dinking and dunking / nickel and diming around some worthless Pacific Atoll? Go for the jugular. If you've eliminated the AI's ability to resist, anything but a boot-to-the-throat / headshot is just playing with your food.

Take Rota, Tinian, re-take Guam. Nothing at Marcus / Wake? Go take those. Knock out Iwo Jima in 1942. Historical realism is shot, so why not dial it up to 11 and cut off the entire SoPAC before 1942 ends.

Post #: 256
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 4/26/2019 5:34:05 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

Weather in an individual hex will vary and can vary within the same turn.

Isn't this true ONLY if you have Advanced Weather Effects toggled on?

Otherwise weather is the same in every hex in the zone all day long.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 257
RE: Random Questions from a New Player - 4/26/2019 5:39:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

Weather in an individual hex will vary and can vary within the same turn.

Isn't this true ONLY if you have Advanced Weather Effects toggled on?

Otherwise weather is the same in every hex in the zone all day long.

I have tried the switch on and off and haven't noticed any real difference in weather variability. But maybe I have been looking too much for the good weather and not noticing the differences in the 70% bad weather on the board (overcasts, heavy cloud, rains and storms are bad for flying missions; clear, light cloud and partly cloudy are the only good ones to me).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 258
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Random Questions from a New Player Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 8 [9]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI