Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis MP Strategy Guide

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis MP Strategy Guide Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/28/2019 6:40:04 PM   
ThunderLizard11

I keep getting my head handed to me. Any reliable step-by-step guides for Axis here or on YouTube. I know all the basic stuff like doubling up on infantry research, etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/28/2019 8:17:41 PM   
Xenocide

Are you playing against another player or the AI?

(in reply to ThunderLizard11)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/28/2019 8:50:37 PM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xenocide

Are you playing against another player or the AI?

MP - the AI needs work ATM - like naval

(in reply to Xenocide)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/28/2019 11:10:54 PM   
Numdydar

The best advice I have is play the Allies

Post #: 4
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/29/2019 3:00:01 PM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

The best advice I have is play the Allies

In that case - I need a detailed Allied guide.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/29/2019 4:28:16 PM   
Numdydar

I can provide. Survive until the US enters the war

Post #: 6
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/30/2019 2:39:39 PM   
ThunderLizard11

Anyone willing to offer actual advice?

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/30/2019 9:16:54 PM   
otumfuo2

Sure, this is amateur advice. I play against the AI at novice level. These are some things I've found to help me win as the Allies.

1. Immediately put two research chits on to infantry weapons 2 for both Russia and China.
2. In China, hurry an army and a couple of corps to defend Nanning. As soon as possible upgrade all your infantry to infantry weapons 2. Eventually the Japanese may force you back and you may collapse suddenly, but if you hold out til '43 the Russians may be able to come to your rescue.
3. In Russia, build lots of cheap garrisons and use them to screen the border. For the rest build army and corps infantry and keep them back so they don't get overwhelmed early. Make absolutely sure that the British are sending you the max 40% MMP via convoy both winter and summer. Check the convoy map frequently to be sure.
4. In Poland all you can do is cluster your battered units around Warsaw; if you do that it may take the AI up to 4 turns to get you to surrender.
5. In France, do the same sort of thing; hold a front line as long as you can; when you cannot, then cluster around Paris. Attack unsupplied German units, like paratroops when you can hurt them badly.
6. Move the whole French fleet and about a third of the British fleet into the Med. When Italy attacks France the AI will usually send out the Italian fleet. You can destroy it with the combined French and British fleets, making sure that it's the French who take the most damage. Once you control the Med, blockade the North African ports. That will force the Afrika Corps to deploy in Europe. You can then transfer a British tank and a couple of British armies into Egypt and make short work of the Italians and Vichy French in North Africa. So as early as 42 you should be able to open a second front in Italy - this takes pressure off the Russians.
7. Sometimes all this aggressive action by the allies in North Africa brings the Spanish in on the Axis side. So much the better; conquering Spain is pretty easy and it will give you an easy route into southern France.
8. By late '43 the Germans should be slowing down in Russia; you may even be able to hold all three of Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad. You should have started researching armored weapons and warfare and now you can start building more armor. Once a significant second front is opened in Europe the Germans will deplete the Stalingrad front and you should be able to start rolling them back. And once the momentum shifts in your favor, it's just fun to take apart the Third Reich.
9. In the meanwhile, you've been building 4-5 carriers and a bunch of Special Forces for the Americans. You need the SF for island hopping because they can keep fighting for a few turns without having to capture a port for supply. Once the Russians are on the offensive against Germany, they can usually spare a force to liberate Manchuria or to save Urumchi if the Japanese are about to capture it. A major Russian counterattack into China, combined with the US liberating the Philippines, the DEI, the Solomons, and a few other islands, along with the atom bomb event is usually enough to get the Japanese to surrender, even without invading the home islands.

Those are just my first thoughts from playing a few games. I'm not an expert on these computerized games - I grew up playing the Avalon Hill board games and Third Reich and Russian Campaign are the closest thing I've play to Strategic Command. So take this all with a grain of salt.

< Message edited by otumfuo2 -- 3/30/2019 9:48:44 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/31/2019 1:03:34 PM   
HamburgerMeat

Here's a cookie cutter build I think may work well against many opponents:

NAZI GERMANY:

DO NOT SPEND MPPs on new units (except maybe a maritime bomber) before the fall of France.

Annex Lithuania

1. Drop rocket weapons and anti tank. Can keep or drop advanced subs, up to you.
2. x2 Advanced Tanks (always keep 2 chits at all times)
3. x2 Ground Attack Weapons
4. x2 Spying and Intelligence
5. x1 Infantry Weapons (should pop around the time you invade the USSR)
6. x2 Industrial Tech

After France falls, you have a few options:

1. Sealion (if England is relatively unguarded)
2. Malta, then move airforce to Africa
3. Move into position for invading USSR (don't have too many units around warsaw, try to pack them in in Romania and Lithuania.

I recommend option 3 in this game, since the USSR is much less powerful than it was in WiE. Your goal should be to take National Morale Objectives, sapping their will to fight. Keep your frontline well-supplied (don't be afraid to give your HQs mobility if they need it). Refer to the supply table somewhere on these forums.

IMPERIAL JAPAN:

Admittedly I haven't mapped out a good strategy as Japan yet, but definitely x2 Infantry Weapons immediately, then x2 Ground Attack Weapons, then start pumping out medium bombers and tactical bombers. I like to focus on wiping out China. Definitely take the Phillipines, Singapore, and the Dutch East Indies. I'd recommend taking all oil resources in the pacific.

< Message edited by HamburgerMeat -- 3/31/2019 1:15:14 PM >

Post #: 9
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/1/2019 6:49:09 AM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

The Rockets got a Bug, they never have done damage against actual pieces, only the Resource. There's supposed to be a percentage chance on damaging the ground unit, I've never-ever seen it. Played Rockets strategy couple times, got +3 tech on them.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to HamburgerMeat)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/1/2019 3:20:27 PM   
gomjabbar

I've won as the Axis in normal and intermediate difficulty; working through expert now by experimenting with Japan / German invasion starting in Dec '41. The US is just unstoppable if you don't hit it asap.

Lots of good advise already given for lesser difficulty, but I'll add some notes about Italy as it's tricky to play.

East Africa:
-Italy, East Africa; doesn't have to suck if played correctly. Load up 1 corps in a transport asap and send it (double click to double range each turn), around Africa and to the East African? port. You can't move units into that territory until war is declared, so just let it wait. Move the 2 Italian corps and the general that spawns just before war west of the port asap to the port town. Don't worry about losing the other capitals there. With 3 corps, and the general sitting in the town, you can wait for the allies to come to you and they won't be able to take you out. Hang out there and kill some units, then counter attack and expand back out. You need to hold that port!
-German, East Africa; There's 2 cruisers and 1 sub in the atlantic ocean when the game starts. Double click; quick move those units to Itay's East africa port. Leave one ship south by maybe 15 hexes to catch transports coming from South africa. Set all ships including the 5 strength to raider mode and sit them on the convoy line. They'll rack up XP quickly and will be difficult to take out when ships appear from india. Keep an eye on supply level and send one ship back at a time to Italy's east africa port to resupply.

North Africa:
Movie all Armies to the East border of libya. Move both generals (start with one, then gain one a bit later). All corps except for 2 for guarding the french border should be there. 1 general should go down to the oasis that's SE of the eastern border, along with 1 tank and 1-2 corps. Hold that position and wait for poorly supplied allies to attack. On the northern border, attack to the east as soon as war is declared, and take just the first town and hold a 2 deep line there. Wait for units to come to you, and you can take the northern most unit by rotating out 4 units on it (hold Shift to swap units). Keep an Italian or German fighter (or 2) close by.

Ships: Keep Italy's sub in the Med. sea to scout safe paths to Libya's ports when you use transports, and to draw out ships for planes to attack from Sicily (while you may have them there after attacking Malta with the plans).
The rest of the ships; sent them all ASAP to Germany around denmark; then move them a safe distance from denmark toward russia along with the rest of the german navy once Italy goes to war. You're going to hide all of the ships until germany has 2 in Naval weapons, some advanced subs, and naval warfare.

Malta: You need to take out the AA and drop a paratrooper when France falls, or you'll have massive supply probs with North africa. Leave a fighter on the french front, and fly (not operate) the rest down to malta as soon as you can enter italy. I don't even bother using them with france. When France falls, operate your best general down to above Sicily. Attack with 2 fighters first, then bombers (including italy's). It'll take 2-3 rounds to destroy the AA, then drop the already prepped paratrooper into it.

Other Italy related: After france falls, operate German tanks and 1 general to northern Yugoslavia border. Attack it the next turn, wipe out defenders, but don't take the capital. Use a Italian garrison (move close by in preparation) to take it, so Italy will have enough funds to keep up with infantry tech and repairs for it's end of the war. Position german tanks / general into the south of Yugoslavia, and take out Greece. If the tanks have mobility, and positioned correctly, it can be taken in 1 turn by hitting capital with 2 tanks.

That's it for early actions; You'll want to move the German africa force (or better yet, 1 General and maybe 3-4 tanks instead) to North Africa and push through the blockade and take Egypt and move to the middle east. Don't forgot about the Italian sub for scouting for transport paths. 1 Italian general with perhaps the tank and 2 corps goes south, the rest to move toward the middle east / russia. Mobility tech for Italy is recommended at that stag. East African forces can move in and reclaim territory.

*Edit: forgot to add; Don't attack Greece as Italy when given the option; you can take it with one turn with tanks from germany, but they'll not be in position yet, and you'll end up fighting an allied supported Greece.

< Message edited by gomjabbar -- 4/1/2019 7:40:01 PM >

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 11
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 12:24:17 AM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: HamburgerMeat

NAZI GERMANY:

DO NOT SPEND MPPs on new units (except maybe a maritime bomber) before the fall of France.

Annex Lithuania

1. Drop rocket weapons and anti tank. Can keep or drop advanced subs, up to you.
6. x2 Industrial Tech

3. Move into position for invading USSR (don't have too many units around warsaw, try to pack them in in Romania and Lithuania.

I recommend option 3 in this game, since the USSR is much less powerful than it was in WiE. Your goal should be to take National Morale Objectives, sapping their will to fight. Keep your frontline well-supplied (don't be afraid to give your HQs mobility if they need it). Refer to the supply table somewhere on these forums.

IMPERIAL JAPAN:

Admittedly I haven't mapped out a good strategy as Japan yet, but definitely x2 Infantry Weapons immediately, then x2 Ground Attack Weapons, then start pumping out medium bombers and tactical bombers. I like to focus on wiping out China. Definitely take the Phillipines, Singapore, and the Dutch East Indies. I'd recommend taking all oil resources in the pacific.

Much more double investments than I was doing - no investment in Advanced Fighters or Naval at all? Getting Lithuania is worth the mobilization hit?

Post #: 12
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 1:18:27 AM   
HamburgerMeat

Advanced fighters are worth it, but do it after the chits I mentioned. The reason they're not as important is because the USSR can't afford investing chits in advanced fighters as well. You want level 3 panzers and level 3 bombers to penetrate as deep into the USSR as possible in 1941.

Generally double chits are better than going too wide in your research (e.g. dabbling one chit into everything), because with x2 chits, the rate of research speeds up, and therefore you're ultimately able to spend more MPPs on research (if that makes sense).

When possible, get some chits in long ranged aircraft as well (range 5 tactical bombers kinda sucks). Make sure that you buy all the tanks, tactical bombers, and medium bombers in time for invading the USSR (tactical bombers and tanks before Africa Corp event, so you get past the max).

You should be double chitting advanced fighters maybe late 1940 / early-mid 1941.

I'm not sure Lithuania is still worth it in WaW (it was in WiE). That said, you should be invading the USSR around July anyway, so why not? Furthermore, annexing it turns its capital into a 10 supply city if I recall correctly. The only two real disadvantages are:

1. More MPPs for USSR due to increased mobilization (not that much more though)
2. HQ spawns up near Leningrad

And naval is not worth it. It's eating up your max research capacity.

< Message edited by HamburgerMeat -- 4/2/2019 1:48:40 AM >

Post #: 13
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 1:49:50 AM   
Fubarno

Tried this in mp and it worked well. After Poland I moved a select force south instead of west to conquer Yugo and Greece early. Tank corps, army, HQ, corps, and a tactical bomber for example. The rest of the German forces, minus necessary east front garison, quick march west in preparation for Low Countries and France. Once France falls as well as Yugoslavia and Greece, the force than moved into Greece than becomes the Africa Korps. When Rommel shows he and his forces quick march towards the east front. Crete, North and East Africa can be conquered and open up other options if things go well. Other strategy decisions like diplomacy and research varies. In China the Japanese can bull through with concentrated AirPower in the south and tempt the Chinese to be aggressive in the north and then crush them. Be prepared to capture Hawaii, Solomon’s, Philippines, Malaya, Borneo, Thailand, etc., with your Japanese reinforcements. If things going well in China than a Japanese force can be subborned for attacking Russia. Well, there’s not much new there but attacking yugo and Greece early is something to try.

Post #: 14
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 2:02:26 AM   
amandkm

I like moving against Algeria with the Italians myself, and avoiding Vichy. The extra MPP are worth it, IMO

(in reply to Fubarno)
Post #: 15
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 3:16:10 PM   
gomjabbar

I've tried the Algeria move a couple of times on expert and it took way too long to be worth it. One of those time I accidentally took it with an Italian unit...opps :) Germany needs that loot quickly to invest in tech. I've never tried just declaring war on Vichy later in the game and reclaiming the southern France. I wonder what the consequences are to go with Vichy, then simply declare war and take it the next turn while you have offensive units in France.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 16
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/2/2019 3:22:00 PM   
Xenocide

I have also found that a full diplomacy blitz on Yugoslavia is worth it. If they join you get an easier corridor to Greece, more MPP from Yugoslavia, and a bunch of corps that are very useful in Barbarossa though I tend to use them for coastal defense in France and the Med.

I am not a huge fan of taking Malta. The penalty is small and sporadic enough that I do not find it a big game changer. I will do it if I have time but if there is something more important to worry about I ignore it.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 17
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/3/2019 1:25:51 AM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

I have also found that a full diplomacy blitz on Yugoslavia is worth it. If they join you get an easier corridor to Greece, more MPP from Yugoslavia, and a bunch of corps that are very useful in Barbarossa though I tend to use them for coastal defense in France and the Med.

I am not a huge fan of taking Malta. The penalty is small and sporadic enough that I do not find it a big game changer. I will do it if I have time but if there is something more important to worry about I ignore it.

Is this SP or MP for the Yugo diplo?

(in reply to Xenocide)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 4/9/2019 2:58:00 PM   
Xenocide

quote:

ORIGINAL: ThunderLizard2

quote:

Is this SP or MP for the Yugo diplo?

Both, odds are it will work and Italy and Japan just throw in a one-time diplo investment to get it going and Germany just keeps their diplo topped off. The Allies might be able to counter it but it hurts the British (and Chinese?) more then it hurts the Germans if they want to throw money into diplo. The British need research more then they need diplo in the early game.

Post #: 19
What is SP and what is MP? - 4/9/2019 5:00:00 PM   
Treefrog

I'm a little thick:
"Is this SP or MP for the Yugo diplo? "
What is SP and what is MP?

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

Post #: 20
RE: What is SP and what is MP? - 4/9/2019 6:57:32 PM   
Numdydar

Single Player - SP
Multi Player - MP

Try and keep up with modern gaming terms will you :)

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 21
RE: What is SP and what is MP? - 4/9/2019 11:56:19 PM   
Treefrog

Numdydar,
It is the difference between a Matrix Hero, 2nd Class, and a Matrix Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Clusters.
Treefrog

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 22
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/1/2020 12:30:10 AM   
wargameplayer

quote:

NAZI GERMANY:

Annex Lithuania

6. x2 Industrial Tech

IMPERIAL JAPAN:

Is it still possible to double chit in 1.06? I can double chit some things - but not advanced tanks for example. Was it nerfed?

Post #: 23
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/1/2020 3:43:38 PM   
Marcinos1985

No double chitting since 1.05.

(in reply to wargameplayer)
Post #: 24
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/1/2020 6:10:04 PM   
wargameplayer

Ah thanks- with double chitting removed it really makes things tougher on the Axis player. Def very tough once you get past easy wins in Poland and France.

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 25
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/1/2020 7:07:03 PM   
Marcinos1985

I would argue it is quite opposite. Due to no 2-chitting, USSR and China are behind in tech (inf weapons) usually up to 1942, and take some serious beating meantime.

(in reply to wargameplayer)
Post #: 26
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/2/2020 12:28:40 AM   
ThunderLizard11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcinos1985

I would argue it is quite opposite. Due to no 2-chitting, USSR and China are behind in tech (inf weapons) usually up to 1942, and take some serious beating meantime.

I think this actually helps Allies more. In my last game, Soviets had level 2 infantry, AA and tanks by the time Barbarossa started. As Axis, I only had level 2 tanks as well and ran right into a brick wall of Soviet units in the south.

(in reply to Marcinos1985)
Post #: 27
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 3/2/2020 1:56:14 AM   
wargameplayer

I agree completely. Axis can get an early boost in research since they have more MPP- a lot harder to get those high level tanks by the time the war in the east begins. This minimizes the that advantage.

Post #: 28
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 8/26/2020 11:38:57 AM   
PanzerCro

quote:

NAZI GERMANY:

Annex Lithuania

6. x2 Industrial Tech

IMPERIAL JAPAN:

these are nice advices, I am only concered about how rapidly will USSR mobilization go up if I annex Lithuania ?

Post #: 29
RE: Axis MP Strategy Guide - 8/26/2020 1:01:22 PM   
Dazo

quote:

ORIGINAL: PanzerCro
these are nice advices, I am only concered about how rapidly will USSR mobilization go up if I annex Lithuania ?

Notes from the Lithuania event window say USSR will go 20-25% towards Allies.
That should put it between 38 and 50% (usually -5% for sharing Poland and -2% for invading Finland).

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Axis MP Strategy Guide Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI