Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Has anyone been playing WWIIONLINE?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anyone been playing WWIIONLINE? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Has anyone been playing WWIIONLINE? - 6/19/2001 1:00:00 AM   
Tombstone

Just wondering. I have been, and it has its moments. (I really like the game) Tomo

Post #: 1
- 6/19/2001 3:48:00 PM   
ruxius

quote:

Originally posted by Tombstone: Just wondering. I have been, and it has its moments. (I really like the game) Tomo
Very Lucky Man..I can't because I live in Italy...I can't figure how terrible could be the challenge in connection therms.. Also I should update my PC...will you partecipate to the BlitzKrieg ? Did they released a demo ? just to try before purchasing the product ?

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 2
- 6/19/2001 7:03:00 PM   
x6ftundx_slith

I have been playing since day one (which was June 6th) and LOVE it.. Yes it has bugs but most were fixed.. Yes it has cheats but they are being takin out too.. No I don't think it is a true representation of WW2 because of the kiddies playing it like quake BUT for the fun of flying, tanking, and grunting they have my 10 bucks a month.. Commando Solo :eek:

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 3
- 6/19/2001 8:49:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just to put my old timer grognard opinion forward on this game. I have seen the item on the shelves. It looks good if you like games like Everquest. If you can handle constantly paying for a game you will like it. If you can handle a game that will attract people that have no real interest in playing a good wargame, but just want to have fun shooting at something, you will like this game. If you can accept the first person shooter environment you wont have any trouble. But your software and hardware better be good or you are just fodder for some young kid with the latest computer equipment. If you are looking for a "serious" wargame, you might not get what you are looking for. Just as you wont enjoy a table top wargame if you invite just any stranger off the street into your kitchen. I may come off sounding overly critical. But ask yourself... are you an old time gamer that plays wargames on the computer because you have to (no opponents left from your younger days). Or are you merely a youngun playing at war. Just for the record, this old fart wont be playing WW2Online, not my bag. The graphics are not good enough and well, I just dont want to play war with a random bunch of hooligans. I pick my wargaming opponents carefully. A good wargamer is a challenge. But I extend this attitude to my other gaming habits as well. I dont rolegame with people that are not an asset to the core players (their time is more important to me than the interests of people I dont know). Will WW2Online be successful? Probably as successful as Everquest. Will a Steel Panthers fan like it? That depends. How many of you guys play Advanced Third Reich? Those that dont even know that title, will likely enjoy WW2Online more than those that remember A3R fondly as just TR.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 4
- 6/19/2001 8:56:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1: Just to put my old timer grognard opinion forward on this game. I have seen the item on the shelves. It looks good if you like games like Everquest. If you can handle constantly paying for a game you will like it. If you can handle a game that will attract people that have no real interest in playing a good wargame, but just want to have fun shooting at something, you will like this game. If you can accept the first person shooter environment you wont have any trouble. But your software and hardware better be good or you are just fodder for some young kid with the latest computer equipment. If you are looking for a "serious" wargame, you might not get what you are looking for. Just as you wont enjoy a table top wargame if you invite just any stranger off the street into your kitchen. I may come off sounding overly critical. But ask yourself... are you an old time gamer that plays wargames on the computer because you have to (no opponents left from your younger days). Or are you merely a youngun playing at war. Just for the record, this old fart wont be playing WW2Online, not my bag. The graphics are not good enough and well, I just dont want to play war with a random bunch of hooligans. I pick my wargaming opponents carefully. A good wargamer is a challenge. But I extend this attitude to my other gaming habits as well. I dont rolegame with people that are not an asset to the core players (their time is more important to me than the interests of people I dont know). Will WW2Online be successful? Probably as successful as Everquest. Will a Steel Panthers fan like it? That depends. How many of you guys play Advanced Third Reich? Those that dont even know that title, will likely enjoy WW2Online more than those that remember A3R fondly as just TR.
Hey les I love it when quakers say they understand strategy... always makes my day knowing they are the future... :D

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 5
- 6/19/2001 11:58:00 PM   
Tombstone

Sarge, you don't come off overly critical. You come off uninformed. Kiddies playing quake on the WW2Online battlefield don't make much of a difference. If you pay careful attention to all the intended features of the game you will see an enormous amount of effort being poured into a well thought out game. There are mechanisms that punish reckless behavior in the way that you gain and lose rank points. The actual game-play dynamic on the battlefield reduces the value of physical coordination skills while promoting better use of judgement. The simple fact is that it takes more a dozen people to take a town that's being defended with any effort, and that takes coordination. This game is nothing like quake. Granted, there are players out there who want to play it like quake. That's fine for them, and if they have a good first shot hit-rate then I'm happy to be cruising alongside him. You rapidly come to realize that game is about being a part of something larger. It is in no way a "wargame" apart from being about war. It is a simulation of some of the aspects of war. It's a fantastic experience to be a part of even a small battle, the confusion, the action, even the waiting... it comes together to create what a greater sense of realism than games of the past. There are no games out there where you can jump into a living battlefield. It's true that a lot of people playing don't even know what an 2pdr is, much less how to use it. For now things are a bit chaotic, but as time passes people will do what comes natural. Which is to try and play better than the guy he's facing off against, and in WW2Online that means coordination and organization. I'm in strong disagreement with your post, Les the Sarge 9-1. I am an avid wargamer and military history enthusiast, and as far as WW2Online is concerned I think its the best online game concept ever to be executed. Tomo P.s. The people who made this game aren't looking to just make a buck here. They originally thought that fewer than 10,000 people would playing in the first several weeks. They had an opportunity to make something that people have wanted to see for ages, and they did it.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 6
- 6/20/2001 3:26:00 AM   
Greenlake

Overall I'm rather dissapointed in the game thus far, though that may change once the actual "war" starts. Alot of equipment that was on the box and in the manual isn't implemeted yet. It requires a top notch system to do anything but be a grunt. The loading time when you first start up the game is extreme. Numerous bugs found everywhere, some that had to be known in beta. All in all the game has potential, but I'll have to wait and see if it's worth 10 bucks a month.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 7
- 6/20/2001 9:51:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Appreciated your thoughts Tombstone, glad to hear the game might not be user friendly to the idiot fringe. It would appear though, that the comments of Green indicate the games is going to suffer some teething troubles. If you are both to be believed and on the mark, WW2Online might end up looking like a Panther tank. The first ones sucked and broke down all the time, but eventually it was one of the wars best. Maybe WW2Online can achieve that as well. But I am going to sit here on the sideline till I hear about a years worth of commentary. Although I figure it will take more than a year before my computer will run it anyways. So all this might be moot for me.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 8
- 6/20/2001 2:28:00 PM   
Tombstone

Fair enough, and I apologize if I came off too strong there... Tomo

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 9
- 6/22/2001 8:35:00 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Nooooooo need to worry about the language of yer response Tombstone. Actually I haaaaaave experienced little minds before elsewhere online and in wargaming locations. If the gang here in wants my opinion, its that its capable of being said, that at least thus far, I have been most pleasantly happy to have never felt that I was interacting with small minded people. And trust me I knooooooow what small minded people are like.

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 10
- 6/24/2001 10:34:00 PM   
david carrell

Time to bump. I got the game and tried playing it on June 6th but I couldn't get it to work. I upgraded my system: PIII 933 512 meg ram 38 gig SCSII harddrive GeForce 2 Graphics card etc etc the thing runs great and the game is a blast. I still haven't gotten a kill yet and I keep getting killed. But I will keep playing because of the fluid and unpredictable game play and alot of people actually work as a team and help each other out.

God and warriors we adore
In times of trouble, not before
When the trouble's over, and all is righted
God is forgotten and our warriors slighted

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 11
- 6/24/2001 11:13:00 PM   
GI Seve

quote:

Originally posted by sven: Hey les I love it when quakers say they understand strategy... always makes my day knowing they are the future... :D
Well I also grin when I hear quaker say : "I know a thing bout tactics". But don't ye get any scared sven when ya mentioned they are the "future" .. aww.. I belong to that future (19 yrs).. geezh .. who will pay yer pensions when ye too old to make money of yer own? I bet not the government cuz they have spent all yer pension money already .. so is it youth "the future of planet earth" .. well I think ye will shudder enough when ye think of this :eek:

HallelujaaGobble!

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 12
- 6/25/2001 4:25:00 AM   
Belisarius

From what I've heard, the game's not near finished yet. The developers surely didn't want it to be released, nor the beta-testers. So it's free of charge as of yet. :) Many things haven't been implied yet, as those oh-so-important choke points, which makes for a big part of the game when it comes to strategy. It's a bit early to judge it. But that's just what I've heard. I'm running on an old 400Mhz/128 Mb, and though it's fine for SPWAW, I won't be able to play WWIIOnline on it. :(

Got StuG?

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 13
- 6/25/2001 11:21:00 AM   
Tombstone

The basic game is there, but a lot of details will be implemented in the near future. I must say that what is currently there has already been worth my $30. I've played for about 10 hours so far and they have certainly been among the most interesting and cool online gaming hours of my life. The fact that everyone out there is a human is big, the fact that it's hundreds of square kilometers of persistent land is HUGE. Also, as a side-effect of the situation people ARE learning how to cooperate and coordinate. (However, there are beta-tester-originated groups who are already managing to execute 60+ tank offensives with supporting infantry) This is not a game to be taken lightly. It really kicks ass... Tomo

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 14
- 6/26/2001 3:08:00 AM   
Greenlake

Yea it really kicks ass that there are about 1000 Chars to every 1 French infantry, that the best way to take over a town is for an Opel to drive full throttle into a town with infrantry jumping off at 80km/h a taking the army base then suddenly 20 panzers pop up ready for action, that somehow a city can be captured well, well behind enemy lines and tanks, AT guns, and trucks can be spawned instantly. The battles are getting old fast since there is no real point to them. It's basically Counter-Strike set in WWII with 900 people playing, sure it's cool at first but it gets old fast. ;)

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 15
- 6/26/2001 3:58:00 AM   
Tombstone

This will all change very soon, once the servers are unified there will be more people on... and once the equipment limitations are in place the real war will start. The game hasn't been out long enough for what's there to get old... those exploits you speak of are relatively rare, and even then they are an indication of organization of many, many people... There is nowhere else to get that. Tomo

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 16
- 6/26/2001 6:42:00 AM   
McGib

Personally I have no intention of buying a game that I have to play to pay. The developers of WWIIONLINE are laughing all the way to the bank! Here in Canada this game goes for about $50. Now I'm expected to pay a further $10 a month, and thats probably in US funds! So for a $50 game I have to pay a further $15(approx) a month just to play it?? Forget it!

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Tombstone)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Has anyone been playing WWIIONLINE? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI