Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new to W10

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> new to W10 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new to W10 - 10/18/2018 12:48:04 AM   
scout1

Got a PC with W10 and tried to install WitPAE .... says installed ok. won't launch .... cant find PW data ?

Also can't see AE in uninstall programs ..... is this a W10 thing or am I doing something terribly wrong .... this is so foreign .... missing W7
Post #: 1
RE: new to W10 - 10/18/2018 6:13:21 AM   
inqistor

You are doing something wrong. You can experience horrible lag, after click, and bleeding through desktop, but WitPAE will always run on WIN10.

But maybe you need to patch system first? It took me two days recently, to do this. 1807 alone needed like 6 hours to install...

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: new to W10 - 10/18/2018 12:05:47 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: scout1

Got a PC with W10 and tried to install WitPAE .... says installed ok. won't launch .... cant find PW data ?

Also can't see AE in uninstall programs ..... is this a W10 thing or am I doing something terribly wrong .... this is so foreign .... missing W7

AE will deliver the "Can't find PW data" error message on any version of Windows when the wrong shortcut is used. If you installed one of the beta patches, use the shortcut found in the Beta2 sub-folder. Don't try to edit an old shortcut.

There may be other reasons the PW data error appears, but this is the most common one.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/18/2018 12:06:23 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 3
RE: new to W10 - 10/18/2018 9:17:19 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

AE will deliver the "Can't find PW data" error message on any version of Windows when the wrong shortcut is used. If you installed one of the beta patches, use the shortcut found in the Beta2 sub-folder. Don't try to edit an old shortcut.

There may be other reasons the PW data error appears, but this is the most common one.

Not sure it was a beta version (will check tonight), but your statement about wrong short cuts interests me. I've historically installed on a desktop with W7. The two attempts I've made at the install did not list anything at all in the install directory location. It was blank and I had to add a path .... don't ever remember needing to do this previously .... wonder why .... another thing to look into tonight .... thanks

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: new to W10 - 10/18/2018 9:28:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Not sure it was a beta version (will check tonight), but your statement about wrong short cuts interests me. I've historically installed on a desktop with W7. The two attempts I've made at the install did not list anything at all in the install directory location. It was blank and I had to add a path .... don't ever remember needing to do this previously .... wonder why .... another thing to look into tonight .... thanks

I don't use the Beta, but the last official patch keeps the game in the C:/Program Files/Matrix Games/ etc. folder. The Beta creates a new folder but you should be able to find that somewhere on your C:/ drive. Then just find the executable file for the game and right click on it to make a shortcut. Then drag the shortcut to the desktop and it should have the correct path in its properties. After that just add the switches needed to get it running smoothly with your system (see the extensive thread about Win 10 and switches in the Tech Forum). It may take some experimentation because different systems have different requirements.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 5
RE: new to W10 - 10/18/2018 11:25:16 PM   
scout1

I havw * CompUpdate v1126 (~ 100M file) …. can this be loaded as a stand alone file or do I need to go back to the original install and then update ?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: new to W10 - 10/19/2018 1:13:07 AM   
scout1

nevermind ….. apparently need to load the original version then upgrade from there …. so Matrix only ships or downloads the 8 yr old version for new purchases ?

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 7
RE: new to W10 - 10/19/2018 4:26:36 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

nevermind ….. apparently need to load the original version then upgrade from there …. so Matrix only ships or downloads the 8 yr old version for new purchases ?

Yep, and no comment.

The Moose

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 8
RE: new to W10 - 4/5/2019 1:49:39 PM   
steevo38

Pity seabee doesn't work on Windows 10 full screen I get that PW dat message too.
Just don't have the time, patience and computer expertise to get around this.
Old soldiers like me struggle with these issues.
Oh well, back to silent hunter, at least I can get that full screen.
Taking nothing away from the guys who made this effort though.

< Message edited by steevo38 -- 4/5/2019 1:50:23 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 9
RE: new to W10 - 4/5/2019 4:03:15 PM   
Kull

Seriously man, if you can get Silent Hunter working on Windows 10, WitP-AE is "cake" in comparison! I have a relatively new laptop and it still doesn't have a functional SH4 or 5, simply because I so dread the huge amount of tweaking necessary to get them working properly!

Folks here are pretty patient, and we'll walk you through the steps necessary. I will say that I still do not run W10 on fullscreen, but rather have it in a window that is 98% of fullscreen (which was the only way to solve all my Win10 incompatibility issues).

(in reply to steevo38)
Post #: 10
RE: new to W10 - 4/5/2019 8:38:02 PM   
perkinh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

Seriously man, if you can get Silent Hunter working on Windows 10, WitP-AE is "cake" in comparison! I have a relatively new laptop and it still doesn't have a functional SH4 or 5, simply because I so dread the huge amount of tweaking necessary to get them working properly!

Folks here are pretty patient, and we'll walk you through the steps necessary. I will say that I still do not run W10 on fullscreen, but rather have it in a window that is 98% of fullscreen (which was the only way to solve all my Win10 incompatibility issues).

+1

I am just not smart enough to get it to run in full screen...but what I have is wonderful.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 11
RE: new to W10 - 4/8/2019 1:37:55 PM   
steevo38

Hi,
Seems I'm in the same boat with all the others with the windows 10 lack of ful screen problem. Yes, would very much appreciate a walk through to get it as close to full screen as possible. Meanwhile will fiddle with the narrow version to learn more about how game works.
btw, spoke too soon, my latest silent hunter 3 game save doesn't load!
All the best

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 12
RE: new to W10 - 4/8/2019 9:19:45 PM   
Kull

From your last post, it sounds like you can get the game running, just not in "full screen". What are the settings in your desktop shortcut? As an example, here's what I'm using for "almost full screen":

"C:\Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -px1904 -py1040 -cpu4 -deepColor -dd_sw

FYI, this is the thread which finally clued me in how to set up a "larger than normal" window for windowed mode.

(in reply to steevo38)
Post #: 13
RE: new to W10 - 4/12/2019 6:53:27 AM   
steevo38

Hi,
I tried your settings and the game is very fast and smooth now but has not increased the size, still narrow, but at least it works better.
Will check out that thread and see if it helps
Cheers

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 14
RE: new to W10 - 4/12/2019 7:32:52 PM   
geofflambert

It's possible to get Silent Hunter to work on Windows 10? I wonder if steevo can come to my house.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 15
RE: new to W10 - 4/12/2019 7:33:48 PM   
geofflambert

What about Fighting Steel?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 16
RE: new to W10 - 4/13/2019 2:30:29 AM   
Technopiper

Through trial and error I've found that using a resolution less than your monitor's full capability eliminates the "jumping animation" bug. Is this the rationale behind your "almost full screen" setting?

You have to take into account the "frame" of the window. There's jumping animation because the picture (1920x1080) is struggling to fit within a smaller frame. The solution is setting a smaller picture. I use -pxf1916 -pyf1046.

quote:

From your last post, it sounds like you can get the game running, just not in "full screen". What are the settings in your desktop shortcut? As an example, here's what I'm using for "almost full screen":

"C:\Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -wd -px1904 -py1040 -cpu4 -deepColor -dd_sw

FYI, this is the thread which finally clued me in how to set up a "larger than normal" window for windowed mode.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 17
RE: new to W10 - 4/13/2019 1:41:09 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Technopiper

Through trial and error I've found that using a resolution less than your monitor's full capability eliminates the "jumping animation" bug. Is this the rationale behind your "almost full screen" setting?

You have to take into account the "frame" of the window. There's jumping animation because the picture (1920x1080) is struggling to fit within a smaller frame. The solution is setting a smaller picture. I use -pxf1916 -pyf1046.

quote:

The main problem for me was the "screen bleedthrough" issue which arrived with Windows 10, and then got progressively worse with every new "update". Some people can successfully eliminate the problem by removing the "-dd_sw" switch, but for most of us that slows scrolling down to molassess speed. Since bleedthrough does not happen in windows mode, the trick was to add a new "native resolution" just a bit smaller than the standard 1920x1080 screen, and then set the window to that size using the switches. (Theages gives plenty of "how-to" on that in the linked thread above).

Anyway, it sounds like you have achieved a slightly larger window resolution, which is cool. I've come to really prefer window mode anyway, because it's more stable when moving from the game to another app (usually a spreadsheet).

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> new to W10 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI