Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Navigation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Navigation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Navigation - 6/23/2003 6:36:44 AM   
spica

I am a newbie, so excuse me for asking questions that might be so simple.

I start a new game, i am in the Sol system on planet Sol II. I want to travel to Sol III in the same system with my scout. The navigation menu does not give me that choice.

Thanks for your help.

Spica.
Post #: 1
- 6/23/2003 2:30:06 PM   
Zaxsubaru

Trust me, your not the only one who wishes navigation worked that way....(sigh). Your ships will only navigate according to the context of whatever mission they are assigned. As far as I know, the game is not progammed to let you "point and click" where you want your ships to go. Combat navigation is about as close as you can get to that and even then, you are limited to the number of combat moves your crew has gained through experience fighting. Maybe in the sequel?

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 2
- 6/23/2003 5:38:19 PM   
Voidhawk

Why would you want to fly to an uncolonized planet in one of your own systems? I'm not implying that such a thing would be pointless, I'm just curious. Maybe there is a different way to accomplish what you want to do?

I don't imagine it would be too tough to add into a future version or sequel (left click in solar view to mark target waypoint, select a new mission called "Travel to target waypoint" or something).

But aside from maybe helping to deal with the occasional pre-combat flight through an opponent's firing arc on the way to the sun, I'm having a hard time envisioning a situation where such a feature would be useful.

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 3
- 6/23/2003 8:57:11 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do that as well. This is the first time that anyone has ever asked for it. In the original version of Starships Unlimited, I allowed you to manually choose navigational orders. But with the missions logic handling navigation so nicely, I found it a pointless feature, so I removed it. Just part of the streamlining process.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 4
- 6/23/2003 10:12:36 PM   
spica

Well basically it just felt like an intuitive type of thing to do.
I wanted to visit one of my planet. As simple as that.

I am new to the game. You seem to imply there is no strategic reasons why I should be flying to this planet. What if
I wanted to protect the planet against potential intruders ?
Or is patrol around the one colonized planet sufficient enough to detect enemies flying into the system ?

Thanks for your help.

Spica.

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 5
- 6/23/2003 11:02:16 PM   
Voidhawk

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spica
[B]I am new to the game. You seem to imply there is no strategic reasons why I should be flying to this planet.[/B][/QUOTE]

That was precisely not my intention at all! I just thought maybe you knew about some sneaky tactic that I wasn't aware of. ;)

Unless you have a colony on a planet, there's nothing there to protect. Other races won't try to colonize a system you already own a colony in, so you don't have to worry about that. And starship captains just hate sitting around over empty planets twiddling their thumbs when they could be out exploring and collecting cool artifacts instead. :D

A good way to protect any system you control from invaders is by building mines. They appear over the planets in the system you choose to build them in (or over the world you choose if you have a colony there) and they can put a serious hurting on any enemy ship that tries to mess around over the planet. You can have up to 4 mines over each planet in a resource system, or up to 8(!!) over a planet with a colony on it. They are quite useful, and free up your starships to concentrate on more exciting things than defense.

Other than that, the patrol system mission is really all you need if you want to keep a starship or two near one of your colonies or inside one of your important resource systems for defense purposes. Your captains know exactly where to go and what to do when trouble shows up.

Hope that helps, and have fun!

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 6
- 6/24/2003 12:20:34 AM   
spica

thanks Voidhawk.

That makes sense.

Spica

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 7
- 6/24/2003 11:14:40 AM   
Ubbax

[Posted by Voidhawk]
"Why would you want to fly to an uncolonized planet in one of your own systems? I'm not implying that such a thing would be pointless, I'm just curious. "

Here's one reason I wished I could still do this:

One of my ships is in a system collecting artifacts and an AI controlled opponent whose home world I've not yet discovered shows up. At this point I've seen two things happen:

1) The enemy ship heads straight for an artifact I've not yet gotten to. He collects it and then if it was the last available one in the system, either takes off, or parks and waits for me to finish collecting my artifact and then attacks me.

2) The enemy ship parks himself by the sun in the center of the system and waits till I've fought all the planet guardians and collected the artifacts. Then he immediately attacks me.

In both the above scenarios, if it's early in the game, I've often suffered substantial damage by the time I've picked off all the guardians, especially if it's a large system (3-4 planets) or this is the 4th or 5th system I've visited. When I've finished collecting the last artifact I'm easy pickings for the AI Player thats sat and waited.

In the above scenarios, the enemy ship, 9 out of ten times, will always be on you before you can leave the system. Combat has started and while you can hit "break combat" to try escape, that usually results in my ship attempting to pass by the AI ship, often incurring a multitude of hits as the computer attempts to get me by on its "locked in" pre-selected path. More often than not I loose my ships as well as my hard won artifacts. On the higher difficulty levels and small galaxies of 50, I've found this even more prevalent.

When you select "Break Combat" in a fight, the AI draws a straight line to home, and moves you directly on that pre-selected path. It does not take into consideration you may well need to pass by an opponent allowing him a series of "free shots" as you go by. Even if you've selected "Break Combat" as long as you are still within range, you are actually in 'Navigation mode" thus the volley of shots you take as you slide past the AI ship.

You could try to manuver your ship into a position where it can flee away from and ahead of the AI controlled ship. Doing so however seems useless as ship speed appears to have no bearing within a system, you cannot pull far enough away to drop out of combat. (I must admit though on one occassion I actually saw the AI controlled ship give up and leave.)

If I had the ability to move to a point of my choice within the system, I could immediately engage the enemy when he enters the system.

It would be nice to be able to decide which planet to attack first. Better artifacts are guarded by more/tougher guardians. Depending on the condition of my ship I may wish to attack them first or leave them alone.

Occasionally I've entered a system where the AI enemy ship is gathering artifacts. What's curious when this happens, is that my ship moves to the center of the system and then sits there. Not only that but I cannot thrust to a planet within the system still holding an artifact and take it. I have to watch the AI controlled ship gather the artifacts. Once he is finished he either flees or engages me. If he chooses to flee, I've been given no chance to intercept or engage him.

[Posted by Andrew]
"I'm curious as to why you'd want to do that as well. This is the first time that anyone has ever asked for it."

While I've never asked for it, I've often wished you could do it :D
Since you need to be in close proximity to engage an opponent in combat I thought you most likely chose not to allow it for possible abuse reasons.

What would happen in multiple ship combat where the player could have a ship/ships sit back out of range, waiting for a ship/ships you've chosen to sacrifice, to cause damage before you bring the heavy hitters into play?

Perhaps what might work in scenarios 1 and 2 I mentioned above, is a "Contest system" button of some kind for systems containing artifacts. This at least would give the player a choice of immediately attacking if/when an AI player entered a system he was harvesting.

"In the original version of Starships Unlimited, I allowed you to manually choose navigational orders. But with the missions logic handling navigation so nicely, I found it a pointless feature, so I removed it. "

I was able to occassionally use the "thrust to" command within a system in ver. 2.0. I could not do it it on demand and assumed perhaps it's use was limited in a way I did not understand. I distinctly remember using it to move towards an AI controlled ship one time when I entered a system where it was just finishing harvesting the last artifact so I could engage it before it chose to flee.

As of the ver. 2.1 patch I've not yet once been able to use the "Thrust to" command. I figured you removed it or disabled it for some reason. I came to the forum today thinking I would post on this issue and discovered this thread.. Great minds and all... you know ;)

Just my humble thoughts ;)

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 8
- 6/24/2003 12:53:09 PM   
Zaxsubaru

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew Ewanchyna
[B] But with the missions logic handling navigation so nicely, I found it a pointless feature, so I removed it. [/B][/QUOTE]

HA!! *cough*bullsh#t*cough* Well, to be fair, your "logic" works great if all you want to do is "patrol, attack, return to colony, patrol, attack, return to colony, rinse and repeat 5 billion times. Before I get all worked up, let me just say how happy I am that my ships don't go into "stasis" anymore and just sit there. Thank you. Now, why the hell can't I engage my tractor beam and tow disabled enemy ships?!?!?!? They've got no generators, no shields, no anything....just people floating aimlessly in a disabled tub. Why can't I tractor that ship back and capture it at a home world? Why do I have 10 or 12 ships all in fleet 1 doing NOTHING when the mission display says they should all be attacking an enemy world. Yes, "honoring captains upgrade requests" was on, and I ran the game at speed 10 for about 500 years to see if they would actually upgrade or *gasp*....ATTACK!?!?!? Nada....nothing....just sitting there. Why can't I set up my defending ships in formations (as discussed by someone previously) so that there is some actual strategy to my defensive/offensive positions. I don't mean templated formations, but just being able to have my ships ready wherever I want them to be. Why do ships sometimes suddenly get a mind of their own and pick their own combat navigations for a couple of turns in a row??? Random events? I can't find a way to delete unwanted saved games unless I go into Windows Explorer and delete them out of the directory. Calgon!! Take me away.....arrrrrgh. Ok, having gotten those morsels off my chest, I return to the fray to continue my list and have a blast, mostly, however short on "logic"

Edit: OK, ok....my ships finally attacked after 510 years...SHEESH, I'm sorry I even brought it up now. *snicker*

(in reply to spica)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Navigation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI