Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notes from a Small Island

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/8/2019 10:29:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Oh, this game has been a match of immense proportions and fun. Erik is tough and good and indeed doesn't make mistakes.

This has been like Alabama vs. Ohio State in 1955. Both teams handing off to the fullback, scrabbling for two yards, waiting for the other team to make a mistake. (I thought Erik made his first major goof with the rail transport issue in China, but he requested a re-do.) It's possible that he'll make a mistake that could turn the tables completely; and it's certainly possible I could make such a mistake. I have to be very careful even while trying to work my angles.

It made it harder to step in to a game in March 1944 in which the Allies were pretty far back and the enemy dug in with a lot of time for pilot training, etc. Erik knew where the Allies were weighted in early '44, so that gave him the luxury of either taking my first shot or waiting for me to sidestep.

I've played this game very well, though there are a few things I haven't done well. I've learned from some of the mistakes and have implemented those corrections in my game with Fabertong. I do adapt.

If I make a mistake here it could mean Erik harvests thousands of points and blunt my ability to attack cohesively for some time, perhaps a long time. My strategy takes that into account. But more than that, I know how to play within what I can do and what will give the Allies the best chance of prevailing in some form or fashion.

To start this late with these disadvantages and to manage to hold my own, score some good hits, and avoid taking a critical counter-blow (though I nearly did at Shikuka) is very satisfying. I'm pretty proud to have stood toe to toe against this guy and to still be standing.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4021
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:18:04 AM   
crsutton

Dan, is this one of DaBabes scenarios? I am playing DaBabes and one thing I cant get a grip on is the total absence of Pershing tanks for the Allies late in the war. In stock, the Allies got them and many Infantry divisions got a full battalion as an upgrade around the time the war in Europe was winding down. Assuming that the game goes past Soviet activation one would expect that these brutes would have shown up in the Pacific in great numbers. Allied production had to be ramping up and would have continued to do so. Strange. Another thing that is missing is my game is any production of the M18 Hellcat. They are there in stock and I have units with them but there is no
replacement production in my DaBabes scenario. I guess someone just overlooked it. Wonder if there is a later version since my campaign has been going of for five years. Anyways do you or anybody else notice these tanks are missing?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4022
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:37:47 AM   
crsutton

Dan, Rode my new bike out to White's Ferry on the Potomac River last week. This is the last working ferry on the Potomac River and where Lee's army crossed into Maryland to kick of his Antietam campaign. In addition, in 1964 Old Jube crossed there to begin his famous raid on Washington. The Ferry was purchase some years after the war by an ex Confederate officer (White) and ever since each successive cable ferry there has been named the Jubal Early. It is a beautiful place along the historic C & O Canal. I have been ignoring the Potomac in the last few decades and have decided that I am going to focus the next few years exploring points along this magnificent river.

"It was a noble spectacle, the broad river, fringed by the lofty trees in full foliage; the exuberant wealth of the autumnal wild flowers down to the very margin of the stream and a bright green island stretched away to the right." Jed Hotkiss, Stonewall Jackson's cartographer, writing at the time of the crossing.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4023
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:37:49 AM   
Canoerebel

No Pershings. No M18 Hellcats. No production of fighters used by the Dutch. Thin pools of all Allied fighters. Very little production of any Allied bombers, including Mitchells. (The B-17G comes online in September and it does have pretty good production at 135 per month.)

Ross, I was just thinking of you today. You're missed around here.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4024
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:40:27 AM   
crsutton

Don't miss my above post.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4025
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:41:31 AM   
Canoerebel

My family camped in Maryland (Cunningham Falls State Park) around 2004. We spent a lot of time along the Potomac, including Great Falls, C&O Canal, and Harpers Ferry. Also spent a lot of time in DC, Antietam, Gettysburg, and Seneca Rocks. It was September, crowds were zilch, and we had a blast in your neighborhood. That's a wonderful place to explore!

Have you been to Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods Wilderness Area?

You keep having fun up there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Dan, Rode my new bike out to White's Ferry on the Potomac River last week. This is the last working ferry on the Potomac River and where Lee's army crossed into Maryland to kick of his Antietam campaign. In addition, in 1964 Old Jube crossed there to begin his famous raid on Washington. The Ferry was purchase some years after the war by an ex Confederate officer (White) and ever since each successive cable ferry there has been named the Jubal Early. It is a beautiful place along the historic C & O Canal. I have been ignoring the Potomac in the last few decades and have decided that I am going to focus the next few years exploring points along this magnificent river.

"It was a noble spectacle, the broad river, fringed by the lofty trees in full foliage; the exuberant wealth of the autumnal wild flowers down to the very margin of the stream and a bright green island stretched away to the right." Jed Hotkiss, Stonewall Jackson's cartographer, writing at the time of the crossing.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4026
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:44:05 AM   
Canoerebel

I wonder if there will be pressure applied to change the name of that ferry? (It's a great name with historical relevance and shouldn't be touched.)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4027
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:46:12 AM   
Canoerebel

Ross, you'll love this. Now I remember what brought you to mind today....Emylou Harris! I came across a video of "You Never Can Tell" on YouTube from a circa 1976 performance. Man, she could sing with that distinctive voice. And boy, was she a looker. Still is, for that matter. She was 72 or so a day or two ago, I think.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4028
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 1:50:41 AM   
Canoerebel

Emmylou Harris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLP7ANPyYC0

That discussion took place about a year ago, maybe two, in my John III AAR. Great discussion.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4029
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 3:14:58 AM   
crsutton

Yep, had a crush on her forever. She was playing at the Psychedeli about a mile from where I lived in Bethesda MD, when Chris Hillman of the Burrito Brothers walked in and heard her voice. He introduced her to Gram Parsons and the rest is history-so to say. This one is my favorite. With The Band. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HitvrhJ2FTU

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4030
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 3:23:11 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I wonder if there will be pressure applied to change the name of that ferry? (It's a great name with historical relevance and shouldn't be touched.)

Shouldn't be touched? One historical relevance is that he's the man who ordered the burning of Chambersburg.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4031
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 3:32:00 AM   
Canoerebel

That I'm aware of, but I'm not sure of your point. Lots of respectable folks burned places during that war.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4032
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 4:17:31 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Shouldn't be touched? One historical relevance is that he's the man who ordered the burning of Chambersburg.

So perhaps the good people of Chambersburg would vote "yes" for a name change..

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4033
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 12:06:19 PM   
Bearcat2

It doesn't seem to be a problem about naming places for that noted Confederate horse thief, John Hunt Morgan here in SW Ohio; at least a couple of dozen places and streets. Unfortunately, they have removed the Robert E Lee monuments erected on Dixie Highway. 99.9% of the people didn't even know they were there because of overgrown vegetation, but once one person wrote a letter to a local newspaper; they became the latest in the Taliban like purge to remove monuments considered sacrilegious.

< Message edited by Bearcat2 -- 4/9/2019 12:11:13 PM >

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 4034
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 2:06:25 PM   
Bif1961

I remember the rush to try and rename places. They even called renaming military bases, especially in the south until they realized they would have to rename almost everyone of them, every street and almost every building. It is a run up to the 2020 election so all this will be revisited, unfortunately.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 4035
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 2:45:28 PM   
Lecivius

They had a big To Do in downtown Denver last year, wanting to remove the 2 cannons around the state house. Several people walking around with bill boards, a couple with bull horns. I was there to meet some people downtown, nothing to do with this. I walked up asked what all the hullabaloo was about.

I was told they wanted the cannons removed because it "Glorifies the genocide of Native Americans".

OK, fair enough. I didn't agree, but who was I to say? Colorado did have some events in history regarding that time event nobody in their right mind could be proud of.

Then another old lady bustles up & says "These G#@ D@*m things dignify the repression of black people!". Geez lady, lay off. I just asked an honest curious question!

I backed off a bit, started to circle this group, and an old geezer with a distinctly distant accent commented to me "I can't believe you people still keep these symbols of the civil war"

Lot's of people, lots of passion, and all different but focused on one thing. Social media gives these individuals voice. And others take up that voice, just to be heard.

Personally, I think there is something in the water, and there are to many people with too much free time on their hands

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 4036
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 3:18:53 PM   
Canoerebel

Man, Lecivius, you hit the nail on the head.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4037
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 4:51:47 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Personally, I think there is something in the water, and there are to many people with too much free time on their hands

I blame the school system. Everyone is encouraged to have an opinion. Go into a 5th grade class and an essay topic may be: "what do you think happened to the colonists at roanoke?" or "what do you think Lincoln could have done better in the civil war?"

Maybe i'm just grumpy, but I think the answers should be "I'm only 10 and not especially knowledgeable about these topics. I would defer to professional historians on these questions."

Otherwise, you get adults who see cannons in front of a courthouse and just make up a reason in their head about why they are there, match that reason up with their political cause of the moment, and overreact accordingly.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4038
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 4:54:11 PM   
Canoerebel

I don't mind folks having opinions, as long as I'm permitted to regard them or disregard them, as I find appropriate. :)

What I do sense is that our population loves to nurse grievances. Social media, the media and education promote this. An unhealthy fixation on grievances isn't healthy (duh).

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 4039
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 5:07:04 PM   
Canoerebel

6/9/45 to 6/15/45

Erik has been pretty doggone quiet everywhere. The Allies are doing important work clearing the LOC from Malaya to northern Indochina in preparation for near-term offensives. There haven't been any major clashes.

China: The Allies remain fixed inside the Nanking/Tungchow pocket, surrounded by hostile concentrations. Allied bombers target enemy units caught in the open and have eliminated (I think) 61st Mixed Brigade and beat up on 90th Div. Erik's bombers and fighters have been unnaturally quiet. The major Allied army at Vinh is moving north now, towards the China frontier. A large enemy army is in place at and near Nanking. Engineers are building the Vinh airfield and will do the same once Haiphong/Hanoi are taken.

Indochina: As of the 14th, the Allies have taken the remaining bases in Indochina. The rail and the LOC are clear now, all the way from Malacca to Vinh. A lot of Allied support units, including aviation support and AA, just arrived at Phnom Penh. They'll take the good road to Saigon and then rail to Vinh.

Malaya: The Japanese are in force at Singers and Johore Bahru. The Allies are in greater force at and near Malacca. For now, I wish to preserve the status quo. I'll detach units and send them to China as soon as I'm comfortable measuring what's needed to maintain stasis. RN Death Star remains on patrol south of Georgetown, awaiting the day when it's committed to entering the South China Sea. I want some MTB TFs and minesweeping TFs present before I do that. Both are nearing Georgetown. Over on Sumatra, small Allied units have advanced as far as Bengkalis. Erik abandoned the northern part of the island. I don't yet know his strength at and near Palembang.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4040
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 5:14:25 PM   
brian800000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS5rKyte9Ls&t=2774s

CR--if you have interest in Mt. Yonah--go to 46:10.

I was watching this recently, and was shocked to see Mt. Yonah randomly come up: I have been there several times for rock climbing!

I sent my girlfriend this, and she agreed with Longstreet that the hike up Yonah is hard and detracts from the enjoyment (she hates climbing at Yonah because of the uphill hike to the top).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4041
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 5:22:03 PM   
Canoerebel

Brian, thanks for the link. I'll click it shortly.

I've never climbed Yonah, but I've seen it many times. It's visible from all over north Georgia, including from parts of the Appalachian Trail, like the Trey Mountain stretch.

Years ago, I somewhere read an account by Longstreet, post war. After the war, he returned home to Georgia. He climbed (solo, or in the company of but few) to the top of Yonah. There he gave vent to his grief over the war's tremendous loss of life and suffering.

I read that perhaps 20 years ago but can't recall where. I've searched for it over the years. I've mentioned it in the forum from time to time, and thoughtful folks here have searched for it, without luck. It's out there somewhere, I think. Eventually I'll find it.

Post #: 4042
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 5:28:05 PM   
Canoerebel

I just watched the link. I thought the speaker was going to quote the very passage I was looking for, but he didn't. (I'm familiar with the document he was quoting from - a diary by Captain Goree that includes accounts of how the two of them traveled through South Carlolina and into Georgia at war's end. Somewhere I have a PDF of Goree's journal.)

The speaker notes that Yonah is something over 3,000 feet in elevation. That's the truth but not the whole truth, of course. Ground level in that area is somewhere north of 1,000 feet, I think, so Yonah's actual "relief" is somewhere closer to a 1,000 feet or maybe 2,000.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4043
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 5:44:40 PM   
brian800000

Very interesting...I actually have spent a decent amount of time at the top of yonah, because that is where the main climbing wall is.

I think it will be a bit haunting up there knowing that is basically the spot to which Longstreet hiked and vented about the tragedy of the war....

My point of view on Yonah is that it is not very attractive. The Rangers have used it to train for years and they marked up the cliffs with spraypainted notes. What is horrendous vandalism today back in the 60s was probably more like standard operating procedure.

The relief is not even close to 3,000 ft. I think the biggest 1 way hike in Georgia is around 2k feet, and Yonah is not that (probably around 1,200 is my guess). I know because I've scouted many areas to train and the steepest elevation gain without a break is what i was looking for - I did climb the Matterhorn last year which was also used as the comparison by the ranger in the video!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4044
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 6:03:54 PM   
Canoerebel

The toughest hike I've done in Georgia is Tearbritches Trail in Cohutta Wilderness - 2,100 feet over three miles, from the Conasauga River to the top of Bald Mountain. That's 700 feet per mile, which is tough. So Tearbritches is basically identical to the upper half of North Kaibab Trail in the Grand Canyon, from Redwall Bridge to the Rim, which is also about 2,100 feet over three miles.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 4/9/2019 6:04:13 PM >

Post #: 4045
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 6:24:03 PM   
brian800000

quote:

The toughest hike I've done in Georgia is Tearbritches Trail in Cohutta Wilderness - 2,100 feet over three miles, from the Conasauga River to the top of Bald Mountain. That's 700 feet per mile, which is tough. So Tearbritches is basically identical to the upper half of North Kaibab Trail in the Grand Canyon, from Redwall Bridge to the Rim, which is also about 2,100 feet over three miles.

quote:

Tearbritches Trail

I haven't done that one...I will check it out..My go to for bringing pain to myself is the Arkaquah Trail up brasstown bald. It starts super steep, has a long flat section, and then an uphill at the end. A couple times I've just done repeats on the first steep section. I think it is over 1,000 feet in the first mile.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4046
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 6:49:05 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

I haven't done that one...I will check it out..My go to for bringing pain to myself is the Arkaquah Trail up brasstown bald. It starts super steep, has a long flat section, and then an uphill at the end. A couple times I've just done repeats on the first steep section. I think it is over 1,000 feet in the first mile.

If pain is your hiking thing, come see me. I know of a trail

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4047
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 7:01:31 PM   
brian800000

Where is that picture from? Is that from some west coast murder hike?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4048
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 7:09:46 PM   
Lecivius

It's part of the Pikes Peak climb. I know of other, less strenuous places as well

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4049
RE: Notes from a Small Island - 4/9/2019 7:11:27 PM   
Lecivius

It's not that difficult. This girl did it (and hats off to her!!).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4050
Page:   <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Notes from a Small Island Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI