Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Steam not running error

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> RE: Steam not running error Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 3:13:46 PM   
AKar

I chime in to note that I find myself having the same problem. I've not launched nor done nothing on the Command for last maybe two weeks so it is something that has happened recently.

Win7 Pro.

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 31
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 4:38:24 PM   
RevReese

It does seem to have affected people since the last update but i originally noticed it back in December and upon posting on the Steam forums was told it is common to have to do this.

It would be nice to have some official word on why this is happening though i am sure they are working on it.

There is a beta on steam you can subscribe to that may work though it didn't for me.

Husband, Gamer, Modder, Reader, Writer, Blogger!

(in reply to AKar)
Post #: 32
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 4:56:42 PM   
zakblood

simple question is,

are you an administrator on the said pc?

if the answer is yes, then you already login to a full administrator account with full admin permissions, with or without a password, as that's your choice and call to make, you don't have to have a password on bootup for full administrator permissions account unless your on a network, which then you do.

now to make things work better, for years now most games need admin permission to install, so run as admin on the installer sets up the firewall and built in antivirus and other permissions needed to work and run and except incoming and outcoming coms etc etc,....

now some programs, steam for one, works better also running as admin, if you don't trust admin run programs, then maybe a tin hat is needed or a lesson in what is and what isn't safe to do with a pc, eg fingers in power socket wet or dry isn't a good idea, but running as admin also isn't a bad things, that's a myth and a old issue with older O/S not the new ones, once patched etc etc,...

if you have an issue, you more than likely have a 3rd party AV or firewall or both and not running as admin either maybe? eg a none full admin account on your system, easy to check, just goto,

How do I know if I have Windows administrator rights?

Access the Control Panel.

Click on the User Accounts option.

In User Accounts, you should see your account name listed on the right side. If your account has admin rights, it will say "Administrator" under your account name.

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/11/2019 4:57:57 PM >

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 33
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:03:33 PM   
zakblood

now if your a administrator it's simple, just alter steam to run as admin, if your not, then you will need the administrator to alter it for you, as most wont give you a password to do it yourself, if you wish to use a pc without administrator permissions and are stuck in the stone age, then you will find it hard to play almost anything newer now days, as operating systems are changing and so are games, default programs like AV and firewalls are easy, run and install as admin sets it up for you, but third party ones aren't so user friendly, with some doing it still with the run as admin and install as admin commands and others, well only option is a manuall alter, the better the system and software, the easier it is, it's that simple

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 34
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:06:16 PM   
zakblood

first user had 3rd party, so harder than most,

https://blog.avira.com/avira-antivirus-game-mode/

if a given app has game mode, then set steam and or the game or both / all etc to use it

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 35
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:12:15 PM   
zakblood

zonealarm isn't so easy either, as it really depends on what version is being used, as some part of it are easier than others

https://www.zonealarm.com/learning-center/application-control/

again if it's the pure Firewall one, simple add exceptions to the game and steam, if it's the AV and firewall version, for a start, you can't have two active anti virus programs on one version on windows, so one must be set to run in passive mode, which neither has btw and one set to be an active scanner.

if install as admin and run as admin doesn't setup the correct permissions to run and play, then your version or 3rd party items / software aren't as user friendly as they could be, and more research is needed on how to get a given app or program to fully run and work, if without it, it works, eg safe mode but doesn't work with, then normally the logs of either will or should show a given reason why a app and or game / program has failed to be let to run / install or work correctly

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 36
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:18:01 PM   
zakblood

quote:

I have tried moving Command to internal HDD rather than external just in case as I have had one or two games in the past that needed moving to internal but same problem.

many things point to a none standard problem causing extra issues for the user in question, and maybe another reasons why so few have had an issue with it, so for me it's something in the mix of a few users which stops something, which for everyone else, it works fine, with no issues.

so once the common ground is found, eg software installed, how it was installed and run and what other software is running in the background etc and etc plus add in the O/S used etc and then a better understanding on what is the cause and how to find a fix which suits everyone effected, which is always the hardest, as so far all i can see is a few things the same and not for everyone

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 37
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:18:47 PM   
RevReese

Hi, thanks for your replies.

My AV (Avira) does not have that game mode function as i am not using the pro version (which i assume is how you get it) just the free version.

Turning off real time protection does nothing either, same problem.

No i am not using an Administrator account out of habit, i have been using Windows for years and never had this issue before, in fact only two other games in my large steam library have this requirement.

I know i can run steam as admin permanently and while i am sure it is safe to do so, i do not see why i should have to.

I know it maybe seems an archaic way of thinking, but it is what i am used to.

I do have a password for the admin account for when UAC pops up (and i am not disabling that either) which has served me well for years with no trouble at all until Command started to ask for admin back in December (at least for me).

I have tried the hotfix beta too and that didn't help me.

Disabling my firewall (Zonealarm) made no difference either.

Edit: Also i don't like running steam as admin because it messes with my saves not being available.

< Message edited by RevReese -- 4/11/2019 5:21:13 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 38
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:22:40 PM   
zakblood

sorry was going onto UAC next, and that's the issue your having and there is no safe way around it, as i wouldn't recommend disabling it either,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/975787/guided-help-adjust-user-account-control-settings-in-windows-7-and-wind

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 39
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:24:19 PM   
zakblood

disabling either your AV or firewall makes no difference once installed, issues with permissions, which is why it asks for passwords once enabled eg steam run as admin

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 40
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:28:56 PM   
zakblood

i'd like to say i've not heard of this before, but i'm sorry to say i have and tbh what has worked for you for many years, is old practices and now may work for some older and newer games and apps / programs etc but not for all, this is just one of them which you will have issues with, like almost all MMOG or more than a high % of games and apps which now need higher permissions for access and permissions types for area's than a none admin account can give.

as you already have shown, you can get it to work, and then it works well, but that's your call if you wish to use it like that or not, but there's no way that i know of altering it back, it's just how steam and O/S are going atm, not even sure if there's a way of manually getting round it, as can't see how you could safely as already mentioned i wouldn't recommend diabling the UAC either, as it's an elevated permisisons related issue, so apart from running as admin on both, it will or should always fail without it and not run,...

< Message edited by zakblood -- 4/11/2019 5:34:17 PM >

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 41
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:42:36 PM   
RevReese

I'm sure i am still sticking to old ways lol

You are probably right, it is just how things are now but it would be nice to know for sure if it is a requirement now or not as it seems to have hit a few people recently and almost everyone has had it fixed by one of the methods i have already tried.

For now i am just running steam as admin on the occasion i want to play one of the elevation required games and closing it off when i am finished though it has been bugging me since december for Command and the fact that others have fixed it without needing to run steam as admin means it must be possible so it is for sure a problem at my end though i have tried everything.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 42
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 5:56:42 PM   
zakblood

years and years ago, from what i can now remember from my past, nobody wanted anything installed and run with admin permissions, as way back in the old days, that was the same as giving someone your front door keys, as admin mode was then the key to the door for everything so was uncommon for anything to need it, now days it's not like this, which many seems to forget, admin mode now is a protected part of the o/s and not the whole area access platform it used to be.

same as browsers, some work in windowns default mode, while others like chrome etc run in protected mode, so if it crashes, it shuts part of a page down, it has to be a bad crash to close the whole browser down as that would be many parts, so multiple crashes, but it does still happen, but then that crashing doesn't still causes windows itself to crash, so yes protected admin mode or what ever they call it, but either way, it's part and parcel of windows now days and makes each and every program run as admin work seperatly.

sorry for the delay, was posting this reply and someone came to the door

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 43
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 6:09:49 PM   
RevReese

That's okay don't worry.

Yeah i still think of the admin thing as handing over the house keys lol

I only log in as admin for certain specific things like troubleshooting or updating drivers, usually when i install apps and games on my user account it is fine, sometimes it will prompt for admin password then it is good to go.

99.9% of the time, i don't even know i'm not using admin account!

It has now become a matter of principle i think, a quest to discover a way i can play Command without running as admin! it started as a small annoyance and now has become all consuming, now i have a purpose!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 44
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 6:24:06 PM   
zakblood

i was like this with the 32bit version of xp, and stated i'll be dead before i use the 64bit version, which tbh i never used, but did with win 7/8 and 10

but skipped Windows Vista almost all together any version, didn't like it, couldn't use it amd stayed put while most moved on,...

windows 98SE was a dream, followed by 2k and ME, lets be honest, nobody enjoyed or liked either, so enough said of both, and same as Vista, not a follow on or update / upgrade but a step backwards in time and space,...

windows xp, the gaming platform that launched a 1000 games and a million more to follow as it progressed though services packs like a kid in a sweet shop window,...

then came what was known as the backwards move forward with Vista, something that no words can describe correctly, as plain cr@p doesn't do it justice either,...

windows 7 / 8 and now 10 for me have all been 64bit, but still many don't see or think they need it, maybe right or wrong, but i'm the same with 4k screens, don't need, won't buy or see me having one any time soon, so stick with what you like, and only change if you need to, or it dont work, happy gaming

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 45
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 6:34:18 PM   
RevReese

I said i was never going 64bit either and XP was as good as it got.

Then I moved onto Vista (strangely i had no trouble with it at all!) then 7 on my main PC and 10 on a recent laptop which i am slowly getting used to.

Oh well, i guess i will have to learn to love Windows 10!

Thanks for your help and happy gaming to you too!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 46
RE: Steam not running error - 4/11/2019 7:08:34 PM   
Stonedog

Hey Zak, Hey Rev , I forgot to introduce you gentleman, but thought you might want to know that you both have a Steam Group chat you share if that might make your communication a bot easier. I am not sure , but probably a bit faster for sure . I would warn against the Spam Police, but in this instance Zak just so happens to be the Po Po in these here parts

"Shivers at the thought of a Vista Outbreak ever again. " Like The Spanish flu, Black Plague, and others, once a lifetime is enough !!!!!!

< Message edited by Stonedog -- 4/11/2019 7:11:40 PM >

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 47
RE: Steam not running error - 4/12/2019 3:37:45 AM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Hey, thanks for bringing this to our attention, will bring it up with the steam guys.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to Stonedog)
Post #: 48
RE: Steam not running error - 4/16/2019 8:41:10 AM   
AKar

This issue appears to be resolved at my end since.

Thank you for your support.

(in reply to AKar)
Post #: 49
RE: Steam not running error - 4/21/2019 1:11:31 PM   
Dimitris

Is this still an issue ?

(in reply to RevReese)
Post #: 50
RE: Steam not running error - 7/7/2019 8:54:10 PM   
RevReese

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

Is this still an issue ?

My apologies Dimitris, and thank you for your reply.
I have not checked here in some time and i was not notified that i had a reply on this thread.

To answer your question: yes it is still an issue, and the only workaround is to restart Steam as Administrator before running Command.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> RE: Steam not running error Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI