Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 3/3/2019 4:53:09 PM   
frosen

Hi all!

It's been a while since I actively played CMANO but I wanted to post an old scenario I worked on several years ago. Hopefully it can entertain some of you. Comments and thoughts are very welcome. Briefing below:

Updated the scenario to the latest DB and changed armament for the airbase strikes so hopefully everything will work fine now. Also here you have a google drive link to a correct set of photos for the Swedish DB3000:

DB3000_Images_Sweden

---

Sweden vs. Soviet Union

Date/Time: July 30, 1985 / 0600 Z

Playable Side: Sweden

Since the unfortunate sinking of the Russian sub U-137 (S-363) during a Soviet rescue mission in the Swedish archipelago 1981, the Soviet activity in the air, on and under the surface has sharply increased. Numerous violations of the Swedish territory has taken place since then.

In 1984, another Russian sub was sunk when it passed a controlled minefield in the inner archipelago of Stockholm. A few weeks ago, a Su-15 Flagon collided with the surface in the Baltic Sea while trying to pursue a Swedish SH-37 Viggen reconnaissance plane. However the Soviet Union accused Sweden of having shot down the aircraft.

After the U-137 incident and the following deterioration of Swedish-Soviet relations, Sweden has started membership negotiations with NATO. This has generated heavy Soviet protests.

A week ago, the Soviet Union put an ultimatum towards Sweden that they have to “stop its military aggressions against the Soviet Union along with all negotiations concerning a NATO membership”. If not, Soviet have to “take preventive actions to protect its interest and people”. The Swedish response was to order a partial military mobilization (the smaller alternative “code yellow”) to be prepared for any eventuality.

Almost all of the Swedish Air Force and Navy is now mobilized along with higher HQ’s and some Army units.

The Soviets on the other hand have been keeping a high readiness for some weeks now. Ominous rumors among the western intelligence community is starting to spread…

---

You are Lt. General Carl Björeman, Commander Military Area South (C Milo Syd). Due to operational reasons, Military Area West has been incorporated into your AOR. This morning the last mobilizing units in your area reported that they are deployed and ready for action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenario designer notes:

The Swedish Order Of Battle is correct to 95 % along with the actual wartime air bases and radars at that time. Coastal artillery has been omitted due to playability reasons. I’ve also tried to depict a more “alive” scenario with subordinates and superior commanders giving orders and reports as input in your playing.

/frosen

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by frosen -- 5/5/2019 8:45:48 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 3/14/2019 1:00:50 AM   
i224747

Some questions after the briefing:

- there should be an ini file
(- "Blekinge archipelago" instead of "Swedish archipelago")
- "territorial integrity of Sweden" is Swedens land territory or Swedens land territory + Swedens 12mile territorial waters?
- "Stay well away from the SOVIET exercise area". For safety reasons the SOVIET exercise area should be defined more precisely.
- "prepare for readiness exercise as stated in OPORD TIGER". I don't know anything about OPORD TIGER.
- "Be prepared to mobilize army assets according to alternative BRAVO". I don't know anything about alternative BRAVO.
- Where is my HQ located (me = Lt. General C. Bjoereman, Commander Military Area South)?

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 2
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 3/22/2019 11:07:56 PM   
frosen

quote:

ORIGINAL: i224747

Some questions after the briefing:

- there should be an ini file
(- "Blekinge archipelago" instead of "Swedish archipelago")
- "territorial integrity of Sweden" is Swedens land territory or Swedens land territory + Swedens 12mile territorial waters?
Yes, as area/theater commander you're expected to know that :P
- "Stay well away from the SOVIET exercise area". For safety reasons the SOVIET exercise area should be defined more precisely.
As area/theater commander you interpret what that order means in detail
- "prepare for readiness exercise as stated in OPORD TIGER". I don't know anything about OPORD TIGER.
This is just a filler to make the briefing more real/comprehensive
- "Be prepared to mobilize army assets according to alternative BRAVO". I don't know anything about alternative BRAVO.
This is just a filler to make the briefing more real/comprehensive
- Where is my HQ located (me = Lt. General C. Bjoereman, Commander Military Area South)?
An underground bunker complex at an undisclosed location in the south of Sweden

Thanks for your comments! See my answers above. So the bottom line is that it's not really relevant for the scenario. You will see when you start playing. I'm not following you about the ini file though, how does that work?

(in reply to i224747)
Post #: 3
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 3/24/2019 6:54:31 PM   
Schr75

Hi Frosen

You are using a very old database. I would recommend updating to the latest DB file.

Søren

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 4
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 4/10/2019 10:26:38 PM   
Ancalagon451

Finally had time to play this one, I liked it very very much.

I love scenarios with seldom used platforms, and this one delivers Su-15 interceptors, mig-21SM and Saab 35 & 37 so It's been a feast.

Other than the VERY outdated database, it've found an issue in that the airfield strikes are not launching due to not having the correct munitions for their targets.

FAB family of GP bombs do NOT have runways as valid targets and so, since the aircraft only have runways in their target lists, the strike planner is not launching them.

Fortunately the solution is as easy as switching them to BetAB anti-runway bombs.

Other than that I've found nothing outstanding there, so good work here.

Ancalagon

(in reply to Schr75)
Post #: 5
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 4/12/2019 4:21:21 PM   
frosen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ancalagon451

Finally had time to play this one, I liked it very very much.

I love scenarios with seldom used platforms, and this one delivers Su-15 interceptors, mig-21SM and Saab 35 & 37 so It's been a feast.

Other than the VERY outdated database, it've found an issue in that the airfield strikes are not launching due to not having the correct munitions for their targets.

FAB family of GP bombs do NOT have runways as valid targets and so, since the aircraft only have runways in their target lists, the strike planner is not launching them.

Fortunately the solution is as easy as switching them to BetAB anti-runway bombs.

Other than that I've found nothing outstanding there, so good work here.

Ancalagon

Thanks for the feedback!

The last time I worked with this scenario was like back in 2015 so no wonder the DB is old... I will update that as well as go through it again to make sure that it works as intended (obviously I will also fix the airfield strikes).

I will come back after easter and reupload the scenario and as a bonus I will also post accurate DB images for Sweden (the current ones are ok but not 100%) to make the scenario more enjoyable.

(in reply to Ancalagon451)
Post #: 6
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 4/12/2019 6:21:07 PM   
Ancalagon451

Put a PM to CV60 about the images.

He's the person responsable of the community image pack (in this thread) and is always open to new images and corrections to existant ones.

Ancalagon

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 7
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/4/2019 4:50:26 PM   
frosen

I updated the scenario to the latest DB and fixed the problem with loadout by switching to BetAB bombs so hopefully everything will work fine now. Hope you enjoy!

New file uploaded in the original post.

< Message edited by frosen -- 5/4/2019 5:20:44 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/5/2019 5:47:42 PM   
Ancalagon451

OK, I've given a look at the new version and I think you forgot to switch on the quick turnaround option for the A2A and ASW units.

As of right now, everyone has the option greyed out and that means three hours between sorties. That's a sixfold reduction compared with you had before and, unless the scenario have been rebalanced properly, means the player it's gonna been overwhelmed due to lack of air assets.

It's specially bad for the helos at Säve since the only one ready has one sortie and then four hours down, but also the others have no loadout and that means 4 hours before they are ready, so you have next to nil aerial ASW capability in that area.

So, unless it is a deliberate decision and the scenario has been rebalanced to adjust (if that's the case the just disregard the whole post) you need:

-Enable quick turnaround

-Put loadouts in the ASW helos, if you don't want all of them ready at start you can manually input a custom ready time in the editor

-Check if in the old version the soviets also had 30 min ready times for A2A and ASW and if so, enable quick turnaround also for them

Ancalagon

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 9
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/5/2019 6:16:24 PM   
frosen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ancalagon451

OK, I've given a look at the new version and I think you forgot to switch on the quick turnaround option for the A2A and ASW units.

As of right now, everyone has the option greyed out and that means three hours between sorties. That's a sixfold reduction compared with you had before and, unless the scenario have been rebalanced properly, means the player it's gonna been overwhelmed due to lack of air assets.

It's specially bad for the helos at Säve since the only one ready has one sortie and then four hours down, but also the others have no loadout and that means 4 hours before they are ready, so you have next to nil aerial ASW capability in that area.

So, unless it is a deliberate decision and the scenario has been rebalanced to adjust (if that's the case the just disregard the whole post) you need:

-Enable quick turnaround

-Put loadouts in the ASW helos, if you don't want all of them ready at start you can manually input a custom ready time in the editor

-Check if in the old version the soviets also had 30 min ready times for A2A and ASW and if so, enable quick turnaround also for them

Ancalagon

Thanks for your reply!

That's really weird! When I replayed this scenario yesterday before I reuploaded it all fighter/helo assets was set for 30 minutes ready time by default. When I checked the scenario now after reading your post it was still 30 minutes. Then I went in to the ROE section and enabled surge and quick turnaround and then I got 4 hrs ready time as default on the helos and 6 hours (I think) on the attack aircraft etc...The logic had changed completely. I didn't save those changes and closed the scenario and reloaded it. But by some mysterious way I still had 4/6 hours ready time and now I can't go back to 30 min by default!

I don't think surge/quick turnaround was invented when I first created the scenario so this might by why it didn't really got implemented in my scenario until I fiddled around with those settings...

Here's a screenshot I just made of how the scenario looks like on my computer (a copy with a different name):

Have I understood this correctly that now in order to have 30 minutes ready time I must preselect the loadout and then manually set the timer to 30 min? The thing is that I don't want to limit the player to a certain loadout but rather that one can select freely and still get 30 min which isn't unrealistic for the standard loadouts that Sweden carried during the cold war.

How can I solve this?

< Message edited by frosen -- 5/5/2019 6:25:56 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/5/2019 8:47:41 PM   
frosen

Ok, I read up a bit on the quick turnaround feature and enabled it on pretty much all air assets with a preselected loadout and changed the readytimes to 30 min for most of them.

New file upload in original post!

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 11
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/5/2019 9:49:17 PM   
Ancalagon451

Sorry for the lateness, I was driving home. I checked the last correction and the Ready times and Quick Turnaround seems OK.

Just a pair of little points I saw:

Mig-21SM at Donskoye have changed their loadout to IR Atoll only, the old ones had mixed IR & SARH loadouts giving them some all aspect capability.

The Readying AJ 37 at Moholm have ready times of 5h 59min meaning they are effectively unavailable for the scenario. Also plenty of others have 5h 9min ready times but I suppose those are deliberate late arrivals to the fighting.

Tomorrow will give a run to the updated version.

Ancalagon

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 12
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 5/5/2019 10:04:23 PM   
frosen

No need for apologies, I'm thankful for your help!

Yeah, I should probably change back the loadout for the Mig-21s. That was unintentional when I fiddled with the quick turnarounds. I will be away on some business travel the whole week though so can't fix anything before next weekend.

The attack squadrons in the north is intended to have those ready times as you suspected

Post #: 13
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 6/2/2019 8:54:14 AM   
Phoenix100

Can't extract the DB images file, Frosen. Something wrong with the download. Could you check it, please?

(in reply to frosen)
Post #: 14
RE: Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) - 6/2/2019 11:45:44 AM   
frosen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

Can't extract the DB images file, Frosen. Something wrong with the download. Could you check it, please?

I just tried to download through the link and then extract with Winrar and everything worked. Maybe want to try again with a different extractor?

Alternatively, these pics are now included in the latest (or upcoming, unsure of current status) official DB image pack.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Baltic Backfire - Sweden vs. Soviet Union (1985) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI