Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/10/2019 7:12:47 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: larrybush

That's quite a collection! A lot of familiar titles too. I had WWII and on did not play civil war or Napoleonics though.

thanks, I like to play different historical periods: ancient, middle-age, Napoleonics, ACW, WW1 & WW2 and obviously Sci-Fi.. !!!
Post #: 151
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/14/2019 8:25:38 PM   
Shogouki

Holy crap! Good to see you're alive and well and congratulations on your home! Very excited to see this project continue!

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 152
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 3/30/2019 8:48:28 AM   
Drybreeze

@Shogouki - Thanks! Yeah I'm enjoying having a roof. 2 years in a caravan with small children isn't fun.

Ok well thanks to Sabranan's mod editor I have made fast progress... it's a remarkable tool!
I have altered the entire Research Tree, edited the Borg to become Cydracitic in name, government, and most of the commentary. So far so good.

I've also edited a ton of the components to reduce their size, and I'm about to do another play through. I won't publish this one like I did the last one, not yet. But I will report how it went. I'm expecting it to be much more playable than the last one.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 153
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 4/6/2019 11:52:25 PM   
Drybreeze

I have done a huge play through with a now very altered and mostly functional research tech tree (for the race non-specific techs), as well as some conversion of the Borg race over to the Cydracitics race.

It plays through very well indeed now, quite balanced (although still needs some balancing). I may increase the fuel capacity of fuel cells though. As the reactors use more fuel than originally planned, the ships run out of fuel faster than I'd like. It's similar to the vanilla game, but I wanted to have it so that uranium and hydrogen both lasted far longer in the Sea of Stars mod.

The space battles are intense... really. I am very pleased with the level of action during a battle between fleets. Ships have a chance to limp away unless the opponent fleet really is vastly superior, which is what I wanted also.

So now I'll spend a little more time on balancing the components and resources, and fully deck out the characters list and ship and character names of the Cydracitics before releasing the v0.3 alpha for testing and feedback by anyone interested in trying it out.

One thing I'm puzzled about so far is that with some resources it says there's a huge stockpile in my empire, but it also says there's a shortfall. Is that just because it's not being shipped around fast enough to demanding sites, and it's all sitting in a mine somewhere, or what?

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 154
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 4/7/2019 1:28:20 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

OUT-STANDING news, DryBreeze: I'm really anxious to finally be able to play your "Sea of Stars" DW:U mod !!!

about your doubt: do you have a huge stockpile of resources in each planet or only at HomeWorld or StarPorts ?

usually the shortfalls are on planet demand basis.

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 155
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 4/8/2019 9:35:51 AM   
Drybreeze

@ Hattori Hanzo: Thanks! It's a very playable mod already (but very incomplete of course). But rapid progress being made, despite having lost all local files.

I spent some time last night editing into the mod a bunch of characters as per below. I will expand this list in future, but for now I just want to get a workable amount into the mod per race, and then do polishing and additions later.

For now, the Cydracitics race (primarily laser tech at this point).

Cydracitic Alphas (Leaders)

The Cydracitic Leaders are mobile but fully integrated into the race, able to move between colonies, ships, and stations without losing connectivity to the Cydracitic Core operating system. At all times connected, the leader is occasionally replaced with an upgraded model or an experimental model.

Cydracitic Central Control Units (Governors)

Cydractic Colony Governers were physical entities in earlier years, however the Cydracitics adapted to integrate the governors into the infrastructure of the colony itself, a sort of living, self-aware colony. Nothing more than extremely advanced software, able to be broadcast, downloaded, upgraded, edited, and duplicated at the will of the Cydra Alpha.

Cydracitic Fleet Control Units (Admirals)

Cydra Fleet Con units are mobile, often designed to be rapidly plugged into a new vessel during the heat of battle, and are designed purely to coordinate multiple vessels during all fleet maneuvers. They are usually plugged directly into the Cydra Alpha, however are also designed to be able to operate independantly in the case of EMP or other communication disruption.

Cydracitic Interface Units (Spies)

Cydra Interface Units are designed to enable the Cydracitic Core to interface directly with foreign powers. These units employ a range of technologies to achieve this depending on the foreign bodies that are being interfaced with, ranging from direct neural manipulation through holographic technology, all the way to complicated organic simulacrums of individual units of the foreign power being interfaced with. All these technologies are geared towards one end - successful infiltration and integration with the target foreign power to enable the Cydracitic Core to obtain useful information or to sabotage enemy efforts.

Cydracitic Morph Units (Ambassadors)

Cydra Morph units are essentially overt spies. They interface with a target species in a direct and obvious way, usually using holographic technology to help keep the target race from being uneasy with their presence. They are designed to clearly and obviously interact with a target foreign power, usually as a non-hostile action by the Cyrdacitic Core.

Cydracitic Infantry Control Units (Troop Generals)

Cydra Inf Con Units are a sub-division of Cydra Alpha which takes direct control of a division of infantry units on a colony or fleet, rendering them much more rapid response to the dynamics of a theatre of war, and enabling the Cydra Core to focus on larger issues that present themselves as the empire expands. Cydra Inf Units are usually battle units themselves but with some significant investments that essentially serve in the same way as a Fleet Con Unit except dedicated to Troop coordination.

Cydracitic Link Units (Scientists)

The Cydra Link Units operate as sub-routines to the Cydra Core, problem solving various complicated issues to develop new technologies and understandings, and presenting the solutions to the industrial arms of the Great Core.

The Cydracitic race is now fully playable, the research tree for the race is fully functional (but still needs a lot of balancing which will come after the introduction of other races), and the resource and component aspect of the mod is fully functional and fairly well balanced.

It is not possible to play through an entire game with this mod, although it is still very unbalanced overall.

Anyone wishing to test the game at this time can do so by downloading the v0.3 version found in the first post, or directly below.
Any feedback is very welcome!

v0.3 alpha - shared zip file
DOWNLOAD HERE
490mb
Release includes:
Revised research tree to ensure all technology lines are able to be researched in a logical sequence.
Revised component weights and outputs.
Revised resources distributions and balances.
Revised costs for some components.
Cydracitics race characters added.
Faults and incompletions include:
Racese-specific technology will be worked on for next release.
Other Races beyond Cydracitics will be worked on for the next release.
Ship graphics are yet to be worked on.
Planet view graphics are yet to be worked on.
Sound effects are yet to be worked on.
Music is yet to be worked on.

< Message edited by Drybreeze -- 4/8/2019 12:25:12 PM >

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 156
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 4/9/2019 12:33:09 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

awesome to say the least, DryBreeze.. !!!!!

I will "Download & Try" it when you will add some other Races and it will be possible to play through an entire game, balanced or unbalanced it will be.

in the meantime I will continue to monitor you closely

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 4/9/2019 12:36:23 AM >

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 157
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 4/12/2019 11:57:27 PM   
Drybreeze

Added all the characters and the race image for a new humanoid race called the Solics. These guys also have their base tech tree completed (I'll add race-specific tech later). I still need to add ship and base graphics and designs for both Cydracitics and Solics. I'll add the race images for Sed'Tat next.

Once I've got a bare-bones mod with at least a couple of characters per class, I'll pad them out so that there's a lot of different characters for each race.

Solic Leader

President Branderton overseas the democratic empire of the Solics for now. Many other presidents will be added to the collection later.

Solic Governors

The colony governors oversea the governing of individual colonies, reporting directly to the President.

Solic Fleet Admiral

The Fleet Admirals are responsible for coordinating a fleet of ships, providing a boost in the fleets' overall performance.

Solic Spies and Assassins

Spies and Assassins are used to infiltrate enemy forces and damage enemy assets, tipping the balance.

Solic Amassadors

Ambassadors are useful for influencing foreign forces, helping to improve relations and generally assist in aligning the foreign forces with the Solics' own initiatives.

Solic Troop Generals

Inspirational Leaders and powerful Generals, Troop Generals are useful for bringing out the best in the Solics' troops.

Solic Ship Captains

Accomplished Ship Captains grant special bonuses to the vessels they command.

Solic Scientists

Solic Scientists develop new technology and theories that help maintain the Solics' edge over competitors.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 158
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 9/9/2019 4:48:16 PM   
Siddham

Just to say I am using your private ships symbols and really them
I will be keeping an eye on your ongoing work
Thanks

(in reply to Drybreeze)
Post #: 159
RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread - 9/16/2019 4:24:34 PM   
Shogouki

I haven't seen Drybreeze on in a long time. Anyone know if he's ok?
Post #: 160
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Sea Of Stars - development thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI