Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Notre Dame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Notre Dame Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 1:49:56 PM   
Lobster

When the poor get greedy it involves an apple. Maybe even an automobile or a television and at most a handful of people are affected. When the rich get greedy the economy of the entire planet collapses and billions are hurt. I'd say that's a significant difference. IMO. But afterwards the rich are richer and the poor are poorer. That isn't an opinion.

It is nice to see folks with money coming forward to fix a historical building. It appears the most important structural portions of the building survived the heat.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 31
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 2:25:47 PM   
Lecivius

And now, the inevitable

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-gas-cans-arrested-new-york-s-famed-st-patrick-n995701

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 32
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 2:44:00 PM   
Lobster

From the photo I would say he was on his way to a barbie and his automobile ran out of gas.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 33
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 3:00:00 PM   
danlongman

At least the rich folks virtue signalling by publicly pledging money
are forwarding something a little more useful than good old
"thoughts and prayers".
Glenn Beck is already talking about deep dark secrets.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 34
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 8:25:32 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

And now, the inevitable

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-gas-cans-arrested-new-york-s-famed-st-patrick-n995701

Holy crap! The guy was a doctoral candidate and adjunct lecturer at CUNY? What the heck is going on with people in our universities? We've had the unibomber, the kid who shot up a movie theater showing batman and now this guy, all prospective Ph.Ds.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 35
RE: Notre Dame - 4/18/2019 11:57:56 PM   
danlongman

It is clearly a result of the communistification of academia in the United States.
All of them university folks is Marxist/Leninist/Trotskyites and that means arson.
It is clearly time to round up all the doctoral candidates and show Moscow that the
USA isn't just a conveniently corrupt republic of money laundering tools!!!

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 36
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 2:24:46 AM   
Zap

What's disturbing, is what came out from rich people helping in the rebuild effort. To them being accused of greed. Where does that come from? I don't see that as helpful to the discussion. Billionaires, can and do affect positively (the economy) billions of people from their good actions. They are people too and should not be used as straw men for the ills of the world. Suffice to say, With more power comes more responsibility.

< Message edited by Zap -- 4/19/2019 2:44:09 AM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 37
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 7:30:04 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: danlongman

It is clearly a result of the communistification of academia in the United States.
All of them university folks is Marxist/Leninist/Trotskyites and that means arson.
It is clearly time to round up all the doctoral candidates and show Moscow that the
USA isn't just a conveniently corrupt republic of money laundering tools!!!

Not what I said, but whatever...

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 4/19/2019 7:32:43 AM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 38
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 7:38:58 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: danlongman

At least the rich folks virtue signalling by publicly pledging money
are forwarding something a little more useful than good old
"thoughts and prayers".
Glenn Beck is already talking about deep dark secrets.

Maybe, for people who don't have a lot of wealth to give, "thoughts and prayers" are at least something? What's wrong with extending wishes of good will?

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 4/19/2019 7:56:18 AM >

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 39
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 1:22:07 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

When the poor get greedy it involves an apple. Maybe even an automobile or a television and at most a handful of people are affected. When the rich get greedy the economy of the entire planet collapses and billions are hurt. I'd say that's a significant difference. IMO. But afterwards the rich are richer and the poor are poorer. That isn't an opinion.

It is nice to see folks with money coming forward to fix a historical building. It appears the most important structural portions of the building survived the heat.

When the poor get greedy it is greed.
When the rich get greedy it is greed.

You are correct in that; when the poor do evil it mostly effects a relatively small sample. When the rich do evil it can affect many more.

Yours may not be an opinion. More a perspective?

I think all people rich and poor may be giving what they can. But, that is speculation on my part. We do know that the rich have made pledges. I do not know if any of the "poor" have done the same.

I did like the second part of your comments.

RR

< Message edited by MrRoadrunner -- 4/19/2019 1:23:19 PM >

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 40
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 2:48:13 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Again...did Quasi get awzy????!!

Quazi and Ezmarelda are reported as being safe and sound in the Cayman Islands. Apparently they took the hump and moved out years ago.

Cheers
Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 41
RE: Notre Dame - 4/19/2019 11:04:08 PM   
OldSarge

As luck would have it, someone has a detailed measurement of Notre Dame to add to all of the photos and sketches. I imagine that Mr. Tallon would be delighted to know his research was used to help restore a building he loved.

quote:

Washington (AFP) - At Vassar College in the United States, a university team gathered the week before the devastating fire at Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris to plan an ambitious project: inventorying about a terabyte of 3-D modeling data of the famed Gothic masterpiece.
The precious data is the work of Andrew Tallon, a Francophile American art professor who loved medieval architecture and was passionate about Gothic cathedrals. He died in November.
His technique was nothing new, but his application of the tools was innovative. In 2011 and 2012, funded by a foundation, Tallon used a laser device to accurately measure the interior and exterior of the cathedral, which was ravaged by flames this week.
He placed the device in about 50 places to measure the distance between each wall and pillar, recess, statue or other form -- and to record all the imperfections intrinsic to any centuries-old monument.
The result is over a billion points in the "point cloud." The final computer-generated images reconstruct the cathedral down to the smallest detail, including its tiny defects, with a precision of about five millimeters (0.1 inches).

On American hard drives, a precise 3-D model of Notre-Dame

< Message edited by OldSarge -- 4/19/2019 11:05:18 PM >

You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 42
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 12:47:45 AM   
gamer78

Registered 3.8 million Syrian refugee in Turkey but estimated 5 million today. in 2040 it is estimated 10 million population. Not to disrespect but why the rich is very slow on these.

(in reply to OldSarge)
Post #: 43
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 3:10:31 AM   
GaryChildress

Protestors were out starting fires in Paris today. Apparently they feel slighted that wealthy donors were able to fork over a billion toward repairing the cathedral but couldn't do the same to help the nation's poor. So I guess if it comes down to a tradeoff, do you repair an historic landmark of enormous national pride or do you let the landmark go to waste in favor of giving the money to the poor?

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 4/21/2019 5:39:49 AM >

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 44
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 9:20:24 AM   
Orm

Why one, or the other? Why not aim to do both?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 45
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 10:06:06 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Sorry, was just idle curiosity wondering which would be more important if it came down to either/or. IRL, I'm sure both can and will be done.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 46
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 1:49:50 PM   
MrRoadrunner

Wow!
Interesting twists and turns in the discussion.

Why does anyone think the rich are responsible for the poor among us? There will always be rich and poor. There always has been?
There are those with power and those without. There has always been?

Not sure why the refugees in Turkey were brought into the discussion. Though, I am sure there is a solution to the refugee problem and it will not be the "rich" that fix it.

Why is everyone so adamant about spending other peoples wealth?

I have the wealth of freedom ... and rich or poor ... it will not be taken from me. Nor will I give it up without a fight.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 47
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 2:56:32 PM   
Toby42

In an econonmics class years ago a professor said that if you took all of the money in the world and distributed to everyone equally. In a certain amount of time most of the wealthy would be wealthy again and most of the poor would be poor again!

Tony

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 48
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 3:04:10 PM   
VPaulus

Guys, please stay on topic...

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 49
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 3:27:37 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Guys, please stay on topic...

When did we ever let that stop us? <sigh>

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 50
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 4:53:53 PM   
MrsWargamer

If I had 3 billion dollars (just a random number I'm throwing out there), I'm of course wondering, where did it come from?

Why exactly do I have 3 billion dollars?

How much is enough.

I'm living in a nice enough apartment. I eat well, I have a lot more clothing than I need.
I just bought SC3 World at War (I call Strategic Command SC3 by the way). I bought it because the sale was nice. And I wanted it.
The thing is, I live on a disability pension. My life is based on an sum of 1800.00 a month currently. Because I have a spouse. I was living on 1150.00 before.

3 billion dollars. I can't image that sum any more than I can relate to the distance between my living room and the nearest star to Sol.

3 billion dollars.
I'd call up ALL my friends and family. They'd be all millionaires by the end of the day. I have a lot of friends and family. It wouldn't matter.

I'd buy a nice place to live, like maybe a provincial park :) The whole park. Nah, they wouldn't sell me Algonquin Park. I'd just buy enough of Ontario north of here, that I could call it a provincial park if I wanted to. Maybe I'd buy one of our lakes, and 20 acres on every side of it :) Balsam Lake looks nice. It has a sizable island in the middle of it. Perfect for those people who worry about Zombies :)

I bet that wouldn't even dent the first billion.

Hmm I wonder if a billion is enough to buy enough votes to win the provincial election. I'd do better than Doug is doing that's for sure.

1 billion dollars out of 3.
I could sure plant a lot of trees.
Or just build a great deal of affordable housing complexes around the province.
Which sure would buy a lot of those votes :)
I could sure make a lot of young people real happy with education benefits.

For me though.
I'd make a modest home on that island in the lake. I'd make it all wooded except the part that I used to grow some crops on.
I'd have a small corner store and post office and utilities building put up. But otherwise, I'd be out there more or less alone just me and my honey.
I'd be self sustaining. I wouldn't really need money.

I have no idea why millionaires need millions let alone billionaires needing billions.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 51
RE: Notre Dame - 4/21/2019 6:16:54 PM   
rico21

Esmeralda,
I do not race for money.
I am neither buying nor selling.
I just want to be treated properly.
Quasimodo.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 52
RE: Notre Dame - 4/22/2019 7:26:00 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

Sorry, was just idle curiosity wondering which would be more important if it came down to either/or. IRL, I'm sure both can and will be done.

I am sorry as well. I did understand your premise. I just wanted to say that I want the humanity to strive to be better. That every year should be better than the last. Perhaps what I want us to strive for is impossible. But, if we all decide to stride for the impossible, then we have the capacity to make the impossible possible. And I want to remind you that when a great nation decided to put a man on the moon they did so. So, yes, when we all want to do something badly enough we can do it.

Anyway. I am truly sorry.

And sorry for getting preachy.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Post #: 53
RE: Notre Dame - 4/22/2019 7:45:24 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

I am sorry as well. I did understand your premise. I just wanted to say that I want the humanity to strive to be better. That every year should be better than the last. Perhaps what I want us to strive for is impossible. But, if we all decide to stride for the impossible, then we have the capacity to make the impossible possible. And I want to remind you that when a great nation decided to put a man on the moon they did so. So, yes, when we all want to do something badly enough we can do it.

Anyway. I am truly sorry.

And sorry for getting preachy.

No worries. It was a good point which you made.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Notre Dame Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI