Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 >> RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 3/23/2019 5:55:59 PM   
AngrySwan

They still found dirt roads in post-war Poland for making the ''Four Tankmen and a Dog'' series, and that was end of 1960s. So I can imaqgine what happened in Soviet countryside in 1940s.

So if tanks moved 6 hexes on a road would that be better? That is how much Pz IIIH makes in 1.08 and I would say it is quite fast for winter.

The standalone Typhoon scenario has a limit of 50 units for Germany and the same number of Soviet units as the campaign scenario. If I raise the limit for German units to 50 in the campaign scenario we could be back to tanks in winter of 1941.

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 31
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 3/27/2019 5:16:24 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

a revision of the winter/movement rules is on the list. I have some ideas which i want to test first before i talk about it.

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 32
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 3/28/2019 1:45:11 AM   
klhbekool

Thanks Ronald, I can't wait to start Soviet Dawn!!!

KLH

(in reply to Ronald Wendt)
Post #: 33
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 3/28/2019 4:58:46 AM   
terminator

quote:

ORIGINAL: klhbekool

Thanks Ronald, I can't wait to start Soviet Dawn!!!

I guess that means you prefer a fast 1.09 release than waiting longer for many features ?

< Message edited by terminator -- 3/28/2019 5:02:42 AM >

(in reply to klhbekool)
Post #: 34
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 3/28/2019 12:49:48 PM   
klhbekool

LOL, I can wait for the finished product. I have been playing this game since it was first released and I can wait a little bit longer. Just be prepared for.... Is it finished yet? Is it it finished yet?

KLH

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 35
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/19/2019 8:38:35 AM   
terminator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

a revision of the winter/movement rules is on the list. I have some ideas which i want to test first before i talk about it.

Hi Ronald,

Could you give more information about the new winter/movement rules ?

< Message edited by terminator -- 4/19/2019 8:40:56 AM >

Post #: 36
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/19/2019 2:07:37 PM   
AngrySwan

Hi Ronald,

It will be important for Moscow mission which is mostly infantry job but there could be a couple of panzers on the roads if they can move at all.
Also, the first attack on Tula was made by 3rd and 4th panzer divisions and Grossdeutschland regiment so the panzers must either be close enough to the city to attack it on October 29 or, if they have a longer move, they could be further away.

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 37
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/22/2019 10:08:53 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

the idea i have in mind is simple: the movement points and the movement costs will be multiplied by 10 for ground actions. This gives us room for more subtle movement costs which hopefully will ease the burden of the panzers while still making a difference for the types and the different tracks, which was the goal in the first place.

So if you have costs of -11 (instead of the normal -10) then you will have one less hex for values beneath 120 (e.g. a tank with former 12 MPs) and two hexes less for greater values. With the old values it would be a rigid number for MPs so either -1 or -2 which would be exactly the hexes you get less every time.

It should guarantee a minimum of mobility while limiting the maximum range in a better way.

Actually this would be something where i could use your direct help by beta testing this feature so we can adjust/judge it together.

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 38
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/22/2019 1:08:55 PM   
klhbekool

Ronald, that is a great idea!!!!!!!!

KLH

Post #: 39
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/22/2019 10:11:02 PM   
AngrySwan

Hi Ronald,

I would need to see how it works in the field.
It is not so important for 1941 but can make big difference in scenarios of 1942-1943.

(in reply to klhbekool)
Post #: 40
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/22/2019 10:19:05 PM   
terminator

I’m not sure I fully understood how the new winter/movement rules works.

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 41
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/23/2019 6:29:29 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

here is a little table with some example values. I used 16 and 7 as max. & min. as these are the fringes of mobile units i saw when i took a glimpse at the movement values. Its just to see how it effects both of those ends. The values are x10 in the table as are the imaginary costs. The "hexes" is the maximum number of hexes such a unit could move with each having the costs above that value. You can see that with this "system" we can 1. cut down a high number as 16 hexes while still have a minimum movement on the low end (costs at 35) and 2. can do a lot more steps like at costs = 15 when 160 gets 10 (-6) hexes and 120 gets 8 (-4) instead of all units getting the same e.g. (-2 or -3).

Higher values will be more affected than lower ones, ensuring a minimum mobility. In theory this should be better, but i agree with AngrySwan you have to play with it. But i am sure its a step up for the winter rules and maybe some other areas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 42
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/24/2019 4:27:08 PM   
terminator

quote:

Hi folks,

here is a little table with some example values. I used 16 and 7 as max. & min. as these are the fringes of mobile units i saw when i took a glimpse at the movement values. Its just to see how it effects both of those ends. The values are x10 in the table as are the imaginary costs. The "hexes" is the maximum number of hexes such a unit could move with each having the costs above that value. You can see that with this "system" we can 1. cut down a high number as 16 hexes while still have a minimum movement on the low end (costs at 35) and 2. can do a lot more steps like at costs = 15 when 160 gets 10 (-6) hexes and 120 gets 8 (-4) instead of all units getting the same e.g. (-2 or -3).

Higher values will be more affected than lower ones, ensuring a minimum mobility. In theory this should be better, but i agree with AngrySwan you have to play with it. But i am sure its a step up for the winter rules and maybe some other areas.

As said @AngrySwan,"I would need to see how it works in the field".

How work the "Courland option" and the "Prague option" in the Chapter III: Revenge - North ?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terminator -- 4/24/2019 4:33:10 PM >

Post #: 43
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/26/2019 4:24:06 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi terminator,

Prague is awarded in both branches if you have a certain amount of brilliant victories during the whole campaign, it then is activated automatically.

Courland is a player decision,but it only shows up if you have won Smolensk and Leningrad with a brilliant victory before. Then you can choose to go into the grinder in the Baltics or to march to the west directly.

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 44
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 4/28/2019 12:59:35 PM   
AngrySwan

Hi Ronald,

Historically Army Group North held the line until the end of the war. There several Soviet offensives against the Courland pocket. The German forces there included the 19th Elite Grenadier division (2nd Latvian) - which brings me to the wish list...

Post #: 45
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 5/23/2019 1:49:10 PM   
terminator

What does the "Leningrad 1944" scenario look like ?

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 46
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 5/24/2019 5:56:23 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi terminator,

quote:

ORIGINAL: terminator

What does the "Leningrad 1944" scenario look like ?

this map is under severe review as i do not think its currently a good depiction of the battle. Its likely i do a new map from the scratch for it.

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 47
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 6/12/2019 5:56:17 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

in this post there is an image of the current state of the Leningrad-Novgorod map. The plan is, that the player places his units as the 2nd Shock army that attacked from Oranienbaum, while using the forces of other armies (42nd, 67th, 8th and 59th) to force Army Group North into a retreat.

Sadly the map seems not to load during the campaign, which is most likely a memory problem as the map is huge and contains many units.

Maybe i have to cut off the area around lake Illmen or even more to make it work, maybe we can find another solution.

Its a current stepping stone, but certainly not unsolvable.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 48
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 6/12/2019 11:37:40 AM   
AngrySwan

Hi Ronald,

If the map is too big it can be cut into pieces and you can have a smaller battle or two small battles instead of a big one.

Besides too big maps and too many units (50 seem to be the limit) there is also a limit of resources. Once I made a Lwow scenario with doubled resources and it crashed the game.

Post #: 49
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 6/12/2019 4:09:33 PM   
terminator

The Leningrad-Novgorod map :

The top part with Leningrad seems the most interesting :

PS : new ACRE WINTER decoration

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terminator -- 6/12/2019 4:33:48 PM >

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 50
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 6/17/2019 6:04:40 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi terminator,

yep, someone wanted that acre back so i put it in.

Dividing the map in half and renaming it Leningrad 1944 seems a good idea. But maybe we can even enable bigger maps somehow, which can only be determined by the programmer who is currently not available.
Maybe we do both, the smaller map for Leningrad and bigger ones possible in general.

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 51
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 6/26/2019 4:31:53 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

now the map is roughly half in height and it basically runs. Sadly aircraft lead to a crash, maybe its because there are currently 170 units on the map and you can deploy up to 50 additional. My first test run yesterday showed some imbalance and the need to add deploy hexes and some experience to the Soviets. Ended up fighting in the streets of Leningrad at some point

Attachment (1)

Post #: 52
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/4/2019 2:14:40 PM   
terminator

quote:

Hi folks,

in this post there is an image of the current state of the Leningrad-Novgorod map. The plan is, that the player places his units as the 2nd Shock army that attacked from Oranienbaum, while using the forces of other armies (42nd, 67th, 8th and 59th) to force Army Group North into a retreat.

Sadly the map seems not to load during the campaign, which is most likely a memory problem as the map is huge and contains many units.

Maybe i have to cut off the area around lake Illmen or even more to make it work, maybe we can find another solution.

Its a current stepping stone, but certainly not unsolvable.

Same problem with Scenario Petsamo-Kirkenes ?

Return to Windows desktop during loading in 1.09 preview :

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terminator -- 7/4/2019 2:16:34 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/7/2019 1:51:50 PM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi terminator,

it would seem those are caused by the same lack of memory (thats my current guess).

So i refrained myself from using air power (which uses up more memory the more hexes are there and this map is big) and could balance it. In the release you will be able to use aircraft of course.

Next map will be further south, around Orsha-Mogliev-Gomel.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terminator)
Post #: 54
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/8/2019 7:36:44 PM   
AngrySwan

Hi Ronald,

It could be either too many units or too much resources (once I doubled the resources for a scenario and it crashed the game).

Murmansk could work with less units. In the tests of Murmansk 1941 the German mountain divisions (in a battalion scale scenario moved from Kirkenes to Petsamo.

Also, since you do not need all those units at once, the scenario could be split into parts - retaking the Soviet territory in part 1 and then going into Finland and Norway in part 2. In this case the scenario becomes a mini campaign. The same is also possible for Murmansk 1941 - moving from Kirkenes to Petsamo; crossing the border (Rybachiy should not be too easy to take unless you use the Stukas from Rovaniemi) and then, in September, the final battle on Litsa as in Panzer General II scenarios.

Murmansk 1944 is an excellent scenario, if some improvements were made - either increasing memory or splitting the scenario into parts, whatever is easier and takes less work. The Germans have a saying ''A master only shows himself working within limits.''

By the way, my computer seems to be a hardcore anti-communist and refuses to launch the scenario playing as the USSR (immediate crash to desktop) but I can launch it playing as Germany.

Post #: 55
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/10/2019 5:41:03 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi AngrySwan,

the 1.09 version crashes currently on the Petsamo map no matter which side i choose. We had that covered in the past so maybe if that is fixed the Leningrad problem will be solved, too.

(in reply to AngrySwan)
Post #: 56
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/11/2019 8:49:15 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Operation Bagration is on the way. The advance through the Pripyat is slow, but the troops are as well experienced as determined on their way to Bobruisk.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/15/2019 6:18:57 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi folks,

there is good news and there is bad news.

Many units and/or big maps is too much to handle in 32-bit as it is.

The bad news is, that from version 1.09 you will need a 64-bit Windows system to play Germany at War.

The good news is, that all memory issues have been resolved for big maps by that move. So in my current version even the dumped big Leningrad-Novgorod map works fine with air power etc.

I might make yet a single map out of it.

Post #: 58
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/15/2019 6:56:33 AM   
zakblood

64-bit Windows system make sense to me, thanks,

Post #: 59
RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn - 7/16/2019 4:57:40 AM   
Ronald Wendt

Hi zakblood,

well i guess time marches on and we are in the 64-bit area now. But most importantly its improving what can be done in Germany at War.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Germany at War: Barbarossa 1941 >> RE: Germany at War - Soviet Dawn Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI