Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command Classic: WWI >> RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/14/2018 1:12:01 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Thanks for this mod. I'm starting a House Divided game today.

a couple of questions:

1) I've looked through your notes above and in the WWI manual, but see no special capabilities for marines. They cost double what an infantry division costs, but very much the same stats. Do they have higher morale or something?

2) For upcoming production I see a Union HQ available Jan/Feb '64. Is that correct?

Marines: Marines in the ACW weren't that good for much more than landing at or near harbours and then taking them to deny them from the enemy, so I don't want them to really be a viable front-line unit. In the later scenarios quite a few start on the map (places like Port Royal and New Orleans), and the increased reinforcement costs will hopefully deter from marching them into the heart of the CSA when such an operation wasn't really feasible. In 1861 they're not so relevant.

2: That would be Sherman. Seeing as he is a skill 8 general but spent the first half of the war as a division and then corps commander under Grant, I thought it would be a bit silly to allow the Union to purchase him in 1861/2 (when they should be limited to less skilled people such as McClellan).

Hope you enjoy the mod :)

- BNC

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 31
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/14/2018 8:20:50 PM   
gwgardner

I won't try to overthink things, but I wonder if a house rule might be necessary to keep from having long front lines, like WW1. Maybe I should require that any corps/div attached to an HQ has to be adjacent to that HQ. Of course the AI won't play that way, but a limited counter set may have the same effect.

(in reply to BiteNibbleChomp)
Post #: 32
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/15/2018 7:42:40 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I won't try to overthink things, but I wonder if a house rule might be necessary to keep from having long front lines, like WW1. Maybe I should require that any corps/div attached to an HQ has to be adjacent to that HQ. Of course the AI won't play that way, but a limited counter set may have the same effect.

Not sure its necessary. Each of the big armies (eg. the Army of North Virginia) moved around quite a bit within their theatre, probably within a space of 4 tiles around a location at any one time. Seeing as the armies also had 2-4 corps in them, that covers the four tiles that the army is covering. Only instead of putting 4 corps on one tile, it displays as 1 corps on four tiles. Battles between several units can be assumed to be taking at one point along the line, even though it displays as being across half a state.

The build limits are low enough to stop a massive line forming from Washington to Memphis, although realistically speaking the map would have to be four times as big to fit everything at a scale that looks right. But then it becomes too easy to just walk around the enemy army and then scatter into a billion different directions grabbing everything that isn't defended.

The current set up is the best I could come up with that isn't horribly exploitable.

- BNC

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 33
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/16/2018 8:05:18 PM   
Mithrilotter

I played this mod yesterday and today as Union. It is really well done and a lot of fun. Congratulations!

I do have some suggestions. Being able to research to Naval tech Level 5 seems really high for this time period. There is already a nice difference between Monitors and Cruisers. Perhaps limiting Naval Tech to Level 1 or 2 would be better.

In the 1860's, one only traveled by foot, horse, train or ship. Being able to research Mobility Tech seems out of place.

Artillery didn't change very much during the 1860's also. I would suggest limiting Artillery Tech to Level 1. Artillery was very effective defensively, but not this effective on offense.

I wonder if it would be possible to create Union Gunboats. They would attack at range like Armored Trains. Such ships would be fun on the Mississippi River.

Thank you for creating such a wonderful mod.

Post #: 34
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/17/2018 12:45:23 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mithrilotter

I played this mod yesterday and today as Union. It is really well done and a lot of fun. Congratulations!

I do have some suggestions. Being able to research to Naval tech Level 5 seems really high for this time period. There is already a nice difference between Monitors and Cruisers. Perhaps limiting Naval Tech to Level 1 or 2 would be better.

In the 1860's, one only traveled by foot, horse, train or ship. Being able to research Mobility Tech seems out of place.

Artillery didn't change very much during the 1860's also. I would suggest limiting Artillery Tech to Level 1. Artillery was very effective defensively, but not this effective on offense.

I wonder if it would be possible to create Union Gunboats. They would attack at range like Armored Trains. Such ships would be fun on the Mississippi River.

Thank you for creating such a wonderful mod.

First off, thanks for playing the mod and I'm glad you're enjoying it

As to your suggestions:

Naval tech - never really thought about that other than "iron ships beat wooden ships" and possible improvements in naval organisation, but yeah I totally see the argument. Though I've never seen the AI research it (it has been programmed to but tends to have a lot of other priorities), and I never really bothered with it either in my billion test games, so it is probably not that big of a deal.

Mobility - I've always thought of it as a combination of improved tactics (such as Lee and Forrest running around without the Union knowing about them) and stuff like giving units more horses. Doctrine upgrades, that sort of thing.

Gunboats - you can, that's why the Mississippi and Ohio are navigable: purchase a cruiser or monitor and deploy it at an inland port.

- BNC

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 35
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/17/2018 11:26:05 PM   
Mithrilotter

Now I played the Confederate side through. I had a lot of fun with that also. This is a really well done mod!

My impression of Mobility Tech is when a nation invests in fossil fuel powered vehicles and develops a military capable truck to enhance the mobility of foot soldiers and replace horse drawn wagons. That development would cost money. Buying those new trucks and integrating them into units would naturally increase the cost of the unit. If Mobility Tech in the 1860's is just tactics, tactics can be passed on for free by word of mouth. No research would be required and there would be no additional expense for the cost of the unit.

A long time ago, I enjoyed playing a great board game by Avalon Hill called 1776. In it, the rebel units (Americans) were given one extra movement point over the government units (British). Being the Confederates generally seemed to move faster than the Union troops, perhaps the Confederate units should just be given one extra movement point and Movement Tech deleted from this 1860's game.

Post #: 36
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/18/2018 3:51:49 PM   
cbrandonellis

So excited to play this Mod. Stupid question - if I have the game through Steam how exactly do I get the scenarios to show up under Campaigns? I have copied the files into the Campaigns folder in the Local Files , but they don't show up when I load. Is there a different process for Steam? Thanks in advance

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 37
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/18/2018 11:12:54 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbrandonellis

So excited to play this Mod. Stupid question - if I have the game through Steam how exactly do I get the scenarios to show up under Campaigns? I have copied the files into the Campaigns folder in the Local Files , but they don't show up when I load. Is there a different process for Steam? Thanks in advance

I don't have a steam copy of WWI on hand to test with, but I checked with the WWII (Patton Drives East) game and ...\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command Classic WWII - Patton Drives East\Campaigns worked with another campaign I've been working on.

If you're using that directory, make sure you've unzipped the file and that your folder looks like the following:

- BNC

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cbrandonellis)
Post #: 38
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/20/2018 5:33:04 PM   
MarechalJoffre

Holy, this is truly a hidden gem. Not much feedback to give or anything to complain about, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks BNC.

Post #: 39
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/26/2018 11:19:16 AM   
TangSooDo

This is an excellent mod. Kudos to BNC. I would love to see a Napoleonic mod using this system. Even a small Waterloo campaign with division and brigade level units would be great.

(in reply to MarechalJoffre)
Post #: 40
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/26/2018 1:31:26 PM   
Alan Sharif

Just downloading, thanks for all your hard work. I am looking forward to playing this.

A Sharif

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 41
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/29/2018 1:08:46 AM   
Mithrilotter

The Union Kentucky Divisions can't be upgraded or controlled by a Union HQ. Was this intentional or an oversight. I send them over to Missouri for anti-partisan garrisons.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 42
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/29/2018 12:56:02 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarechalJoffre

Holy, this is truly a hidden gem. Not much feedback to give or anything to complain about, but I'm enjoying it. Thanks BNC.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

Just downloading, thanks for all your hard work. I am looking forward to playing this.

Thanks for the support guys!

quote:

ORIGINAL: TangSooDo

This is an excellent mod. Kudos to BNC. I would love to see a Napoleonic mod using this system. Even a small Waterloo campaign with division and brigade level units would be great.

Personally I don't have any plans to do Napoleon at this stage (though it would be cool no doubt!). If anyone else would like to do one though, I've basically used the base WWI system but deleted a bunch of the unit classes and kept build limits low enough to ensure that long frontlines aren't physically possible (or that if they are, that the player using them is being foolish by dispersing their forces too much). If anyone would like to use the mod as a base for that, or any other project, you're welcome to as long as you drop me a credit :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mithrilotter

The Union Kentucky Divisions can't be upgraded or controlled by a Union HQ. Was this intentional or an oversight. I send them over to Missouri for anti-partisan garrisons.

Having that occur wasn't my original plan, but it doesn't have much of an impact gamewise and makes sense historically so I don't mind leaving it in. I think of those units as reserve militia type formations more than actual battle units anyway (seeing as they spawn when the state is invaded), where more regular Kentuckian formations (which existed in both the US and CS armies) are part of the USA and CSA divisions/corps. Sending them to Missouri is certainly an interesting idea though!

- BNC

(in reply to MarechalJoffre)
Post #: 43
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC - 9/30/2018 11:00:28 PM   
Mithrilotter

I sea invaded at low cost with regular divisions. I built marines when I ran out of other units to build.I used them mostly as garrison units.

Post #: 44
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 1/4/2019 12:29:35 AM   
tkershner

Hi, I have the Matrix edition and I installed the ACW files as per the readme and the folders and files are in the campaigns folder but when I load the game and hit new game the ACW campaigns are not listed. Please help. Thanks, Tod K

Post #: 45
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 1/4/2019 12:54:44 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

@tkershner

Are you sure you put them in the correct campaigns folder (there's a separate one for the default WWI campaigns to the mod ones)? The correct one should be as below

C:\Users\BiteNibbleChomp\Documents\My Games\Strategic Command Classic WWI - Breakthrough\Campaigns (although replace "BiteNibbleChomp" with your own username).

- BNC

(in reply to tkershner)
Post #: 46
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 2/19/2019 12:53:00 PM   
Dazo

Thanks for the mod, BNC, very fun to play.

As for the 1864 campaign in hard mode, the only way to win as CSA I found was to amphib a bunch of divisions.
If at least one gets through the blockade and manage to grab an Union eastern coast objective, it's an automatic victory (quite the cheat I agree).

The first try I just went the normal way and lost in December 1864 with CSA NM falling to 0 though I managed to hold the lines in front of Richmond and Atlanta.
Recapturing several locations and targeting Union units in low supply (around a dozen for something like +2500 NM) didn't slow CSA NM free fall at all.

I tried some others in hotseat and it was automatic victory for Indiana and Pittsburgh.
The objectives in the Mississippi Valley seem to only lower Union NM by 25%.
Speaking of the Mississippi Valley, I don't remember seeing any Union ship there in 1861 or 1864 wich makes amphib and naval movement quite easy there for CSA (as long as you unlock Union controlled straits with some land units).

Some other things about that 1864 start:

I was surprised to see the Yanks able to deploy new units in captured territory, shouldn't deploying new units be limited to starting territory ?
The mobility tech at level 2 for CSA is such a big MPP eater when reinforcing/operating units that I prefer to kill/let some badly damaged units be destroyed so I can buy them back cheaper (just with infantry tech).
CSA artillery was so useless in 1864 that I decided to disband it just to get some 50 MPPs instead. Did the same with the industry chit for 75 MPPs.

Infantry tech level 2 is much needed since Union having it makes for heavy Rebs casualties even in favorable conditions, meaning even less NM left. Also trench tech since it's cheaper.
1 basic corp step lost is 23 NM, 1 corps step with infantry 1 and mobility 2 is 34 NM or nearly 50% more...
I also wonder if it should be possible to put 5 chits (max) in one tech field, I tried once with the 1861 start and got infantry 2 by march-april 1862.

CSA loses 435 NM per turn at the start of this campaign (from locations lost to Union) and it seems each Union turn with a full blockade add to that one turn out of two.
I got something like: - 435/492/435/610/435/637 so I guess CSA MPPs lost to blockade also become a NM loss or maybe it's some kind of cumulative effect ?
Add the combat NM losses and as CSA it's somehow better not to attack in most cases to preserve NM...

That's all, thanks again for your time/work on that mod.

< Message edited by Dazo -- 2/19/2019 1:05:11 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 2/20/2019 4:55:27 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

Hi Dazo, glad you enjoyed the mod :)

Re Hard Mode, it's not really supposed to be possible to win it 'properly' (that is, no amphibs) as the Confederates. I calculated the starting NM so that if everything goes exactly as history, then it should fall to zero around the time Atlanta fell - by that point the CSA was written off by the Europeans and had lost all their good armies. (My preferred tactic is to spam a bunch of cavalry through the Shenandoah and just rampage through unoccupied Pennsylvania). 0% NM doesn't represent "surrender" so much as "we are definitely going to die very soon".

The NM values for the cities on the Ohio are correct - if Kentucky is Confederate, which was a reasonably possible thing in both 1861 and 1862, then those cities are only a short hop away from the new border. Losing a border city, while it would hurt, wouldn't necessarily be war-ending the way a CS capture of Philadelphia might be. IIRC Washington is 50%, because while that would hurt the cause a whole lot, instant-game-over because you get pushed back 2 tiles is pretty harsh (NY and Boston are another story though).

Deployment in captured territory can be argued either way - the Union certainly raised units out of officially Confederate states and I'm pretty sure the Confederates did the same, although on a smaller scale. It's also less 'occupied territory' and more 'the rebellion has been crushed' - from the Union's perspective Tennessee is not a different country. From a game perspective, perhaps it isn't the most conventional setup, but it has enough basis in reality that I have no problem with it.

- BNC

(in reply to Dazo)
Post #: 48
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 2/20/2019 8:12:52 PM   
Dazo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BiteNibbleChomp

Deployment in captured territory can be argued either way - the Union certainly raised units out of officially Confederate states and I'm pretty sure the Confederates did the same, although on a smaller scale. It's also less 'occupied territory' and more 'the rebellion has been crushed' - from the Union's perspective Tennessee is not a different country. From a game perspective, perhaps it isn't the most conventional setup, but it has enough basis in reality that I have no problem with it.

- BNC

Thanks for the answers and details BNC.

I can definitely see your point about unit deployment. It was a civil war after all so there were people for both sides in those areas. Makes sense they would enlist if/when given the chance. Plus Union clearly had good logistics.

Post #: 49
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/3/2019 8:44:50 PM   
tkershner

Hi, I have downloaded the ACW mod and put them in the breakthrough/campaigns folder as directed but when I load up breakthrough they are not listed. Please help. Thanks, T

Post #: 50
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/3/2019 11:16:08 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: tkershner

Hi, I have downloaded the ACW mod and put them in the breakthrough/campaigns folder as directed but when I load up breakthrough they are not listed. Please help. Thanks, T

Did you unzip the files and copy in both the folder and the cgn file? When done right your campaigns folder should look like mine in post #38 (except the blacked out bits, those aren't part of ACW)

- BNC

(in reply to tkershner)
Post #: 51
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/4/2019 1:20:15 AM   
tkershner

Thanks for responding quickly. I don't know how to take a picture of the campaigns folder but it certainly looks to me like the one in post 38. Any suggestions? Thanks, TK

Post #: 52
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/4/2019 3:10:16 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

Is your game running the latest 1.2 update?

- BNC

(in reply to tkershner)
Post #: 53
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/4/2019 5:46:17 PM   
tkershner

Figured out how to make a screenshot. Here is my Breakthrough Campaigns folder. Like I said the ACW ones don't show up. See anything wrong? Thanks. TK

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC [RELEASED!] - 5/5/2019 12:15:59 AM   
BiteNibbleChomp

Yeah I see it now - the game has two "Campaigns" folders, one is used for the official scenarios and another is for custom content. Normally the first one is somewhere through C:/Program Files but I think in your case it has installed to the My Games folder instead, causing the confusion.

Go to Documents/My Games/Strategic Command WWI - Breakthrough/Campaigns (if this directory doesn't exist, create the last folder), and paste the ACW files in there. This is where the game will look for custom scenarios.

Let me know if that works :)

- BNC

(in reply to tkershner)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command Classic: WWI >> RE: American Civil War Mod by BNC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI