Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

German Raiders in Japanese ports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> German Raiders in Japanese ports Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/7/2019 4:42:23 AM   
majpalmer

The Graf Spee ended up in the Indian Ocean, almost out of supply, so I decided to send her east to resupply in an allied Japanese port. I remembered that during the war, the Axis allies on occasion did send submarines between theaters. Unfortunately, I could not refit or resupply.

Why not?

Post #: 1
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/7/2019 2:00:08 PM   
amandkm

There's an event that allows the Japanese to transfer a base in the DEI to allow Germans to base.

(in reply to majpalmer)
Post #: 2
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/7/2019 6:30:54 PM   
Xenocide

In general Germany and Italy cannot use Japanese ports or supply sources vice-versa.

There is an even in 1944 (I believe to make the port of Penang into a German port). Once this is done it cannot resupply Japanese ships. Realistically it makes sense. Japan had almost no way to get the parts Germans would need to fix and resupply their ships. Germany and Italy could. The USA and the British could.

This can lead to oddities. I launched a German and Japanese invasion of the Soviet Union and forced their surrender. I took the option to divide the territory between Germany and Japan but this left a Japanese army group unsupplied and they had to slowly march back to Japanese territory.

< Message edited by Xenocide -- 5/8/2019 3:03:39 PM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 3
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/7/2019 8:35:54 PM   
amandkm

I've had that event well before 1944. Maybe in 1942, certainly by 1943

(in reply to Xenocide)
Post #: 4
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/8/2019 5:56:49 AM   
Simulacra53

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xenocide

In general Germany and Italy cannot use Japanese ports or supply sources vice-versa.

There is an even in 1944 (I believe to make the port of Penang into a German port. Once this is done it cannot resupply Japanese ships. Realistically it makes sense. Japan had almost no way to get the parts Germans would need to fix and resupply their ships. Germany and Italy could. The USA and the British could.

This can lead to oddities. I launched a German and Japanese invasion of the Soviet Union and forced their surrender. I took the option to divide the territory between Germany and Japan but this left a Japanese army group unsupplied and they had to slowly march back to Japanese territory.

Food and fuel should not fall under that category.
Ammunition yes, unless you are lucky enough to share specific ammo types
Parts, speciality parts yes, but general parts or fitting substitutes no.

So it very much depends on what kind of resupply we are talking, fuel and food supplies would be the least difficult.
Minor repairs requiring general tooling and parts also not a big deal.

The question is major repairs and replacements.
A Japanese division under German comtrol could best change to German weapons and equipment and vice versa.

In reality Germany managed to operate German subs in the far east, partly with German supplies, so you could calculate that into the equation.
We are probably talking game limitations here, more than real life limitations.

(in reply to Xenocide)
Post #: 5
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/8/2019 5:59:28 AM   
Simulacra53

...unit transfers between countries like you describe would be a nice addittion to this game,

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 6
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/8/2019 1:14:56 PM   
amandkm

FWiW, I had the event trigger in my current game right after the Japanese took Malaya, in Nov, 1941.

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 7
RE: German Raiders in Japanese ports - 5/8/2019 3:11:40 PM   
Xenocide

I looked up the event and it is much earlier then I remembered. Penang and Singapore have to be in Axis hands and Malaya must have surrendered.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulacra53
Food and fuel should not fall under that category.
Ammunition yes, unless you are lucky enough to share specific ammo types
Parts, speciality parts yes, but general parts or fitting substitutes no.

So it very much depends on what kind of resupply we are talking, fuel and food supplies would be the least difficult.
Minor repairs requiring general tooling and parts also not a big deal.

The question is major repairs and replacements.
A Japanese division under German comtrol could best change to German weapons and equipment and vice versa.

In reality Germany managed to operate German subs in the far east, partly with German supplies, so you could calculate that into the equation.
We are probably talking game limitations here, more than real life limitations.

Yeah, historically it was just subs and some of the big German resupply "milk cow" subs delivered sub parts iirc. The German subs that operated in the Far East also had long layovers between patrols. Japanese ships and subs always got priority for repairs and, more importantly, fuel.

In game I have toyed with moving large portions of the German and Italian fleets to the Far East if I am not planning for Sealion or an aggressive Med campaign. It would be difficult with repairs and supply limited to one port but could be a nasty surprise for the American Pacific fleet.

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> German Raiders in Japanese ports Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI