Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/30/2014 3:28:16 AM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I can also taste raw and undercooked onion and mushroom easier than most people. Tiny amounts of either and its the only thing I can taste.

I'm OK with lemongrass, but you may be more sensitive than the average person.

Bill

Please don't attend the grand opening of any restaurant I make up.

I've read that men have roughly twice the number of taste buds as women (which begs the question why do they get stuck with the job of cooking?) and also that the corpus collosum of women is greatly more robust than are men's. This would seem to mean they are superior in matters of generalization while being less specialized than men. To put it another way, the right lobe of their cerebrums communicate more efficiently with the left lobe than is the case with men. This has both advantages and disadvantages, but that's the way nature operates. Most people should be able to understand this because we talk about lefties being different, but we're always referring to men. Think about it, with how many women you know do you also know which hand is dominant? For most of you I bet the answer is zero or one. Same question, men that you know. Verstehen Sie?

< Message edited by geofflambert -- 9/30/2014 4:33:26 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 121
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/30/2014 3:46:28 AM   
wdolson

I'm mostly ambidextrous. I come up right hand dominant on some tests and left hand dominant on others. I write and throw left handed, but do everything else right handed. I can't swing a bat left handed to save my life. On brain hemisphere tests I come up balanced between left and right.

On the other hand I know or know a number of women who are extreme handed. My mother was uber left handed to a point of being very clumsy with anything that had to do with the right hand.

When talking about anything with humans, all you can talk about are trends in the data. For every "male" trait you can find men who don't have them and women who do, but the majority of men may be that way. Same for any other trait and any other group.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 122
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/30/2014 6:24:57 AM   
CaptBeefheart

What do you guys have against kimchi? I just had some for lunch, and have it about five times a week. Of course, I refuse to allow any in my refrigerator or it'd stink it up such that not even a bucket of Arm & Hammer would put a dent in the odor.

The beauty of Korea is that everyone eats a bunch of garlic and kimchi so nobody smells worse than anyone else.

That other thing you guys were talking about: Was it balut, the Philippine rotten duck embryo delicacy?

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 9/30/2014 9:00:03 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 123
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/30/2014 6:35:09 AM   
wdolson

Speaking of smelly foods, I hear durian tastes great, but I can't get past the smell.

Bill

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 124
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 9/30/2014 7:58:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

That's easy to eat: just plug your nose.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 125
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/6/2015 11:43:38 PM   
Footslogger

See if your favorite beer made the list.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/cocktails/the-best-beer-from-every-state/ss-AA8E1uL?ocid=U219DHP

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 126
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/7/2015 2:51:34 PM   
Lokasenna

Seems like their metric for "best beer" is simply "How high is the ABV?" Meh.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 127
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/7/2015 3:16:37 PM   
Zigurat666

The kind thats free and made in my garage. Its excellent for WitP AE,it makes the impossible possible when planning my turns!!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 128
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/7/2015 6:25:52 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zigurat666

The kind thats free and made in my garage. Its excellent for WitP AE,it makes the impossible possible when planning my turns!!

I know that's not legal everywhere. Where are you at? I think where I'm at, it's legal so long as it's made from corn.

(in reply to Zigurat666)
Post #: 129
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/7/2015 10:42:12 PM   
DanSez

I have successfully bottles home-make beers and wine, but never have I distilled any spirits.

What do you use for flavoring and how long do you cork it before passing it around with friends?

Very nice.

btw, I just saw a news report about how many digital files have embedded within them gps data. If you took that picture from a cell phone you could also be sharing the exact location of your garage.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 130
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/8/2015 1:33:10 AM   
Zigurat666

not too worried about it,unless Elliot Ness is around

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 131
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/9/2015 6:05:09 PM   
offenseman

I drink micro brew beers and bourbon, always neat. My favorites are a few small batch bourbons from my "backyard" Breckenridge Bourbon and my favorite overall, Wyoming Whiskey from the north central hinterlands of Wyoming. Recently they placed second in some huge international whiskey competition in New York. The rest of the barrel they used for the competition is available only at the distillery and by mailorder from a place in Jackson WY if you already live where that brand is being sold in stores. Good luck with that... I drank one bottle I bought in November and am saving another for later. Drink there "normal" stuff otherwise.

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 132
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/9/2015 6:56:59 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

I drink micro brew beers and bourbon, always neat. My favorites are a few small batch bourbons from my "backyard" Breckenridge Bourbon and my favorite overall, Wyoming Whiskey from the north central hinterlands of Wyoming. Recently they placed second in some huge international whiskey competition in New York. The rest of the barrel they used for the competition is available only at the distillery and by mailorder from a place in Jackson WY if you already live where that brand is being sold in stores. Good luck with that... I drank one bottle I bought in November and am saving another for later. Drink there "normal" stuff otherwise.

Thanks for that, I am always looking for small batch distilleries to support. A number have sprung up in North Texas.

Lots of micro-breweries that come and go in a few year's time. I prefer the brown ale (nutty, mildly sweet) ones best. Never acquired the 'taste for those wheat beers but some folks love 'em.

(in reply to offenseman)
Post #: 133
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/9/2015 10:43:30 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: offenseman

Thanks for that, I am always looking for small batch distilleries to support. A number have sprung up in North Texas.

Lots of micro-breweries that come and go in a few year's time. I prefer the brown ale (nutty, mildly sweet) ones best. Never acquired the 'taste for those wheat beers but some folks love 'em.

I would so much rather there was an overload of wheat beers than the current overload of IPAs. It's like everybody has decided that drinking beer is cool, and oh hey, strong flavors! Let's blow up our taste buds with hops and bitterness, and only make/drink IPAs! Yeah!!!

No thanks. So boring, and not even very good beer at that. Some of them, you may as well just be drinking alcoholic instant coffee for the bitterness and the buzz. That would be cheaper, too.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 134
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/9/2015 10:54:34 PM   
wdolson

I've never liked beer, so I'm not drinking the micro brews, though my town is trying to become a destination for beer tourists. Microbreweries are springing up all over the place. Some do have some good food (this state requires all places that serve alcohol to also serve hot meals too).

I do find some of the names for these micro brews to be pretty funny. We host a weekend long get together every year and one time I had to run someone who was leaving early to the airport. On my way out the door some people shoved money into my hands and told me to fetch some beer on the way back. I thought, "OK, you asked the guy who doesn't like beer to get beer, so..." I came back with Moose Drool and Kilt Lifter. They were the two names I thought funniest. I heard they weren't that bad.

Bill

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 135
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/10/2015 3:56:38 PM   
Symon

I like pilsners and lagers. I think that 'best beer in the world' crap is just that, crap. Decent Ales are very tasty. WTFU with that IPA nonsense?

Bunch of brainless weasels, who think super Hi-Alcohol, organic, throat clotting, bitter PC is good to drink. MSN paid them a lot to hustle $50 a bottle beer. Maybe there's enough stupid me, me, me, me, yuppies out there, who's taste is in their crotch, to make this an internet event and get MSN involved.

Beer, wine, bourbon, scotch, you name it. It's what you like, and utterly fu** the experts. You see an internat "best" of something, you can be assured it's a paid advert. God, I hate the Internet.

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 136
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/10/2015 4:50:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I've never liked beer, so I'm not drinking the micro brews, though my town is trying to become a destination for beer tourists. Microbreweries are springing up all over the place. Some do have some good food (this state requires all places that serve alcohol to also serve hot meals too).

I do find some of the names for these micro brews to be pretty funny. We host a weekend long get together every year and one time I had to run someone who was leaving early to the airport. On my way out the door some people shoved money into my hands and told me to fetch some beer on the way back. I thought, "OK, you asked the guy who doesn't like beer to get beer, so..." I came back with Moose Drool and Kilt Lifter. They were the two names I thought funniest. I heard they weren't that bad.

Bill

I like the entertainment factor on the naming also, especially the punny ones. There's a brewery in Baltimore that just does pirate themed everything, and that makes me happy. And there's another from Delaware named Sweet Baby Jesus, and is delicious.

I've actually had Moose Drool, I think. Or at least I've seen it around here... I've tried so many at this point that I only remember the ones I would buy again. Moose Drool comes from so far away that, if I have tried it, I've forgotten it/not filed it on my mental "buy this beer again" list because the cost would be prohibitive.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 137
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/10/2015 8:56:39 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Moose Drool

Had it when I was in Montana, it was OK. Like Symon said its whatever you like. Enjoy.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 138
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/10/2015 10:50:26 PM   
wdolson

I have a friend who is a retired sailor. He likes his coffee strong enough to stand a spoon in it and only like yellow wussy beer. He complains all the time about the trend towards micro brews. When he isn't wound up complaining he admits he prefers the low alcohol beers because he can hang out in a bar drinking them all afternoon and stay mostly sober. One or two high alcohol beers and he needs to call a taxi.

I'll imbibe from time to time, but overall, I don't really like the effects of alcohol much. I quit as soon as I start feeling it, to my system the effects are too much like the flu. (I have a weird metabolism.) I'm also a lightweight, so a little will last a very long time. If we don't put a pinch of baking soda in a bottle of wine after opening it, it will go bad before we get around to finishing it.

Putting a little baking soda in wine will create a CO2 layer on top of the wine and it does a marvelous job preserving it. It doesn't change the flavor either. It's a trick my sister learned when working in the chemistry lab at Lowry's Foods.

Bill

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 139
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/11/2015 1:05:37 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I have a friend who is a retired sailor. He likes his coffee strong enough to stand a spoon in it and only like yellow wussy beer. He complains all the time about the trend towards micro brews. When he isn't wound up complaining he admits he prefers the low alcohol beers because he can hang out in a bar drinking them all afternoon and stay mostly sober. One or two high alcohol beers and he needs to call a taxi.

I'll imbibe from time to time, but overall, I don't really like the effects of alcohol much. I quit as soon as I start feeling it, to my system the effects are too much like the flu. (I have a weird metabolism.) I'm also a lightweight, so a little will last a very long time. If we don't put a pinch of baking soda in a bottle of wine after opening it, it will go bad before we get around to finishing it.

Putting a little baking soda in wine will create a CO2 layer on top of the wine and it does a marvelous job preserving it. It doesn't change the flavor either. It's a trick my sister learned when working in the chemistry lab at Lowry's Foods.

Bill

That's the thing, though. Microbrews don't need to be high ABV... it's just what's in the previously linked list. Most of the micro/craft brews are going to be around the 4.5-6% range. Yes, that's a bit higher than your older non-craft fare (which clocks in at the low-4% area - I want to say 4.2%), but for the better taste? Definitely worthwhile.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 140
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/11/2015 4:54:47 PM   
pontiouspilot

the best trick I know to keep open wine from going off is to make sure you finish it!!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 141
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/11/2015 5:43:10 PM   
reg113

Also had Moose Drool in Montana. Not bad.

Drink what you like, leave the rest for somebody else.

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 142
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 2/11/2015 8:39:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

the best trick I know to keep open wine from going off is to make sure you finish it!!

+1

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 143
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 12:26:47 PM   
candiceflynn666

It is whisky for all drinks from scotland, india, japan and rest of the world.

It is whiskey for all drinks from america and ireland

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 144
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 1:24:40 PM   
btd64

Wow. You dug deep for this one....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 145
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 3:54:43 PM   
Sardaukar

Monkey on back

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 146
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 3:57:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

Indeed. What a strange necro-post for a first (and newly registered) post from forumite 'candiceflynn666'.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 147
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 4:02:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

First post, and the avatar name does not resemble the actual name in the member info. This one will have to earn his/her credence.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 148
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 6:57:10 PM   
Zorch

Were Scotch Whiskey and Scotch Tape invented by the same man?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 149
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/9/2019 7:10:10 PM   
Orm

No.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI