Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game of Thrones

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 3:15:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rising-Sun

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndreyBailey

Hello, everyone, anyone knows which website I can watch Game of Throne series online

Amazon or HBO websites has it.

I think this is the proper response to the originally posed question on the matter.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 31
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 3:16:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

I just hope George R.R. Martin will now get back to work on his A Song of Ice and Fire book series. I have been waiting on the fifth book in that series since 2011!!

Hear hear. I understand that he is (honestly!) putting the finishing touches on book 6. My guess is that the originally planned 7 books in the series never materialize.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 32
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 3:18:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Will this be out eventually on CD for purchase?

I'd say this is a safe bet. Although I believe that the season will be released on DVD / Blu-Ray rather than CD.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 33
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 8:29:33 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Season 8 in non spoiler terms.

01 holding breath.
02 can I breath yet? No? drat.
03 OMFG (also didn't see that coming)
04 hmm, is there a point in continuing after 03

05 OK so maybe one more twist or turn for the road

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 34
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 8:57:24 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

Last year for this blockbuster. Anyone looking forward to it?

I've never watched the series, however, considering all the fanfare I've heard over GOT, I'm surprised they are ending it. Are the producers and actors not in favor of staying employed and making money at their craft?

< Message edited by GaryChildress -- 5/13/2019 8:58:54 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 35
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 10:53:28 PM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

I've never watched the series, however, considering all the fanfare I've heard over GOT, I'm surprised they are ending it. Are the producers and actors not in favor of staying employed and making money at their craft?

There were five successor shows planned, seems one has been cancelled in the last week or so. They're gonna ride this money train until it runs out of track.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 36
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 10:55:38 PM   
Rebel Yell

This part of the story is over.

There are several new series set in the GRRM universe, including one several thousand years in advance of current events, that are possible followups in discussion for production.

None of them will pick up where they leave off now, though.

< Message edited by Rebel Yell -- 5/13/2019 10:56:22 PM >

I used to enjoy these forums. So many people that need the green dot now.

Post #: 37
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/13/2019 11:42:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: GaryChildress

quote:

These days, popular shows die of their own exorbitant weight with more popularity. As the seasons go on, the mains (actors) have to be paid handsomely per episode. The costs for production and special effects also tend to increase. And for actors that have been beholden to the show for the last 10 years, they are generally ready to move onto something else and use their newfound fame to springboard into 'other projects'.

Netflix has recently accelerated this trend by intentionally cancelling its own "Netflix-produced" shows after two or three successful seasons to get ahead of the curve. Writing, directing, production and acting talent is in increasingly short supply for the explosion of content and this is their way of keeping costs down. It's unorthodox, but I get the dollars and cents.

Post #: 38
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 3:46:57 PM   
MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

quote:

01 holding breath.

Yeah, I thought 03 was near impossible to beat, but, dang, 05, and hmm 3 dragons is a lot, but clearly 1 is plenty. Especially when mom has lost it.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 39
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 5:18:23 PM   
Lobster

quote:

quote:

quote:

01 holding breath.

Yeah, I thought 03 was near impossible to beat, but, dang, 05, and hmm 3 dragons is a lot, but clearly 1 is plenty. Especially when mom has lost it.

The whole thing will end with a little boy waking up in bed having had a nightmare after seeing the Bambi movie. It was all just a bad dream.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Post #: 40
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 6:58:14 PM   
RFalvo69

After defeating the Mad Targaryen King and his dynasty of Dragon-loving lunatics, our heroes battle and conspire for eight season so to put on the Throne a Dragon-loving Targaryen Queen. What could possibly go wrong?

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

Post #: 41
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 7:34:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
our heroes battle and conspire for eight season so to put on the Throne a Dragon-loving Targaryen Queen.

'Our heroes'? What if I was rooting for the white walkers? Or Cersei? Or Jamie? Or Euron?

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 42
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 7:50:41 PM   
Crossroads

I might be in a minority (or maybe not), but I really liked Episode 5. "I've known a great many clever men. I've outlived them all. You know why? I ignored them.".

Hope she paid attention. Seems she edit:finally did.

No wishy-washy endings in Ep 6, please. Fire and Blood.

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 5/14/2019 8:42:59 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 43
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 8:28:45 PM   
MrsWargamer

I predict the show goes on to let us see yet more people we wanted to make it to the end, not do so.

It looks like in 05 we lost 5 people. I haven't seen the bodies though.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 44
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 9:06:40 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

I predict the show goes on to let us see yet more people we wanted to make it to the end, not do so.

It looks like in 05 we lost 5 people. I haven't seen the bodies though.

Seems the show always opts for the unexpected. What that might mean here, I can't tell anymore.

Seems a few characters have a strong opinion at the moment. Then again, some of those characters, a particular young person especially, has previous of having let some of those strong opinions, at least.

I wage a guess those suggested to have died have indeed done so.

So all I am asking is for no wishy-washy endings. That would be so against everything this series has been. Righteous ones always died first.

Post #: 45
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 10:39:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

So all I am asking is for no wishy-washy endings. That would be so against everything this series has been. Righteous ones always died first.

GRRM was no shrinking violet and did not hesitate to kill characters in gruesome and unexpected ways to prove a point. His series-long thread is that power corrupts and that power derived by corruption and violence corrupts absolutely. That's his 'wheel' moreso than whichever clan figurehead sits atop the throne. So, it would be keeping with his wishes that Daenrys' fall from grace into madness and wanton indiscriminate brutality ultimately destroys her. Someone ends her turn behind the wheel. And someone who does not aspire to the throne will receive it by default.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 46
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/14/2019 11:25:09 PM   
bomccarthy

I'm wondering how many King's Landing residents died - we didn't see how many blocks she burned before the episode ended.

Jon/Aegon is now tainted. He was present for the attack and no one in Westeros will likely know or care that he tried to pull his northern troops out of the city when the sack was underway. With his secret out, he is just another Targaryen, rightful heir to the throne or not.

With all of the Scorpions destroyed, how does one take down a dragon? Is the Three-Eyed Raven ready to intervene? Warg into Drogon, who then does a kamikaze into wherever Daenerys is standing? Jon/Aegon exiles himself to empty Castle Black, leaving Sansa and anyone else still alive to pick up the pieces? They can run the credits with a non-GoT song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTF9RiHp6CM

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 47
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 5:26:14 AM   
RFalvo69

IMHO, 50% of King’s Landing population is gone. More will die of infected wounds, plagues and starvation. Cersei point of view showed clearly how the town was basically reduced to a lake of napalm.

BTW, people on the internet are screaming bloody hell against this “twist” - a twist that was predicted over and over and over since Season 1. Dany even had a vision (in Season 3 IIRC) of the throne room deserted and destroyed, with ashes swirling around like snowflakes. Personally, I wasn’t surprised at all.

Edit: Re: The credits, let’s go for broke https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntPHFVWDIqM

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 5/15/2019 5:31:56 AM >

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 48
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 5:41:30 AM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RFalvo69
our heroes battle and conspire for eight season so to put on the Throne a Dragon-loving Targaryen Queen.

'Our heroes'? What if I was rooting for the white walkers? Or Cersei? Or Jamie? Or Euron?

They contributed by fumbling hard

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 49
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 7:32:06 AM   
warspite1

Massive Spoiler Alert. Do not read unless you are fully up to date to Series 8 Episode 5

I think the backlash against the MoD’s actions in the last episode has been overdone as it ignores just about everything that has gone before, but I do think her ‘change’ could have been handled better.

For just about the entire show, Daenerys has been talking in vengeful terms – and it is only her advisors that have stopped her carrying out these actions. For example at Qaath she told the rulers of the city that when her dragons were fully grown she would burn cities to the ground. She said similar to different people at different times, about Mereen, Junkai, Astapor and Volantis. Remember it was only Tyrion that stopped her from burning King’s Landing down on numerous occasions.

We also saw, in one of the earlier series, a sequence where Daenerys is walking through the ruins of the throne room. It looks like snow is falling – but I wonder if this was actually supposed to be snow – or was it charred remains (echoes of Schindler’s List)?

So essentially we’ve been told all along that – were it not for her advisors holding her back – the MoD was not averse to destroying her enemies (including civilians) by burning their cities. This kind of makes me wonder why so many – Tyrion, Varys, Ser Jorah, Ser Barriston – were so keen to see her as something different and not just another despot in the making?.... Yes, she was determined to free people from slavery, but the constant reference to burning cities should perhaps have been a bit of a concern – particularly given her family history?

Despite the above, personally I think it would have been better had there been some sort of recognisable catalyst that made Daenerys go full Mad Queen during the battle and after the bells had been rung to signify surrender. After all, this is just plain and simple mass murder for mass murder’s sake. For example after the surrender (borrowing from the Japanese) some members of the Lannister army could have continued fighting once the enemies guard was down – maybe killing Grey Worm in the process.

Without a catalyst mid-battle, there was another way this change in the MoD could have been shown better. I suspect the problem is pacing of the show and that there were so few episodes available. This led to everything being rushed. Yes we see John reject her ‘love’, yes we see the death of two of her ‘children’, yes we see the murder of Missandei, the death of Ser Jorah and that the people seem to love and gravitate towards John – who she knows has a better claim to the throne. So yes, at the time she made the decision to burn King’s Landing it’s fair to say she was not ‘feeling at her best’ but for such an action to be taken, I think there needed to have been more time spent showing her character develop and for the change to full on Mad Queen.

But either way she is now simply a mad-as-a-balloon war criminal for which there is no way back; she has to be stopped. Who will do it (if anyone) and what is in store for the main characters that are left? It comes down to: Sansa and Arya (Stark), Daenerys (Targaryen), Bran (who says he’s not really Bran anymore – so what is he?) and Tyrion (Lannister).

The battles (tactics) in this series have been a bit clumsy and just a thought on Drogon and the Scorpions. Drogon destroyed the Iron Fleet in seconds - without a scratch – whereas in the previous episode Rhaegel was killed and Drogon was forced to retreat due to the accuracy of the Scorpion fire. I think there should have been a better explanation for this. The makers tried to show the effect of Drogon coming out of the sun (the old Luftwaffe trick – beware of the Hun in the Sun) by Euron’s squinting – but this was insufficient explanation and they should have shown a sequence where the Scorpion teams were unable to fire accurately as they were impeded by the sun’s glare. Without that explanation the change in effectiveness of the Scorpions from last episode to this, seemed too much.

Finally just one thought on Jamie. I have no problem with how he ended up going back to Cersei – it’s one of GoT’s strengths that people are not just ‘good’ or ‘bad’ but are multi-faceted, but I wish more time had been allowed (a pacing issue once again) to show his inner turmoil as he battled with ‘good’ Jamie and ‘bad’ Jamie – a battle the good could not ultimately win. He clearly was not a nice character – as he told Brienne, he was prepared to kill a child for Cersei and he killed his own cousin to get back to Cersei (not to mention having four children with his sister). But he was also capable of ‘good’ actions – his protective feelings toward Tyrion from childhood, his determination to save Brienne from rape/death and his realisation that the Knight King needed to be stopped. There should have been more time devoted to his battle with himself. As it was, I fully expected that when he left Brienne to head back to King’s Landing, he was going there to kill Cersei. While leading the audience down one path to set up a twist in the tale can be a good thing - this just felt like a let down.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/15/2019 7:38:27 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 50
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 10:26:30 AM   
candiceflynn666

I dont understand why people hated the last episode.
It is as real as game of thrones can get!

Part-time gamer. Full time working from home.

Read my latest article here

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 51
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 11:58:52 AM   
MrsWargamer

Very good observations Warspite.

I was sort of annoyed at how they got Rhaegel. I guess it's the wargamer in me.

If I had dragons, and my objective was defeating the city, I'd have attacked at night, out of the dark, without warning, poof bursts of sudden dragon fire at say 3 in the morning, no more scorpions. Red keep, yeah right. Poof out of the dark, no more Red Keep.

I've enjoyed the show immensely, but why is it movies are always made to use questionable thinking? Are there really no decent wargamers advising the military? I suppose not even in real life.

I recall the Gulf war when they attacked Saddam. WTF? I've been using these strategies vs the other guy in North Africa since the 70s. Norman hardly did anything unique or even original.

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 52
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 12:26:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

But either way she is now simply a mad-as-a-balloon war criminal for which there is no way back; she has to be stopped. Who will do it (if anyone) and what is in store for the main characters that are left? It comes down to: Sansa and Arya (Stark), Daenerys (Targaryen), Bran (who says he’s not really Bran anymore – so what is he?) and Tyrion (Lannister).

You're forgetting about some pretty major characters: Bronn, Gendry, Grayworm and, of course, YNNJS. Gendry is an interesting one, as he has a given foothold / land and a legitimate claim to the throne.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 53
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 1:48:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

You're forgetting about some pretty major characters: Bronn, Gendry, Grayworm and, of course, YNNJS. Gendry is an interesting one, as he has a given foothold / land and a legitimate claim to the throne.
warspite1

Whoops yes I forgot to put John Snow in (I took him out of the Starks and didn't put him back in under Stark/Targaryen ). But I'm not sure the others you've mentioned - and the Onion Lord should be included - are major characters in terms of who ends up on the Iron Throne. I suppose Gendry is a possible because of his lineage, but I don't think there's anything in his story arc to suggest he is a contender - he was out of the series for so long. Surely he would be something of an afterthought if that is where they are going?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/15/2019 1:49:34 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 1:49:31 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

If I had dragons, and my objective was defeating the city, I'd have attacked at night, out of the dark, without warning, poof bursts of sudden dragon fire at say 3 in the morning, no more scorpions. Red keep, yeah right. Poof out of the dark, no more Red Keep.

I've enjoyed the show immensely, but why is it movies are always made to use questionable thinking? Are there really no decent wargamers advising the military? I suppose not even in real life.

I recall the Gulf war when they attacked Saddam. WTF? I've been using these strategies vs the other guy in North Africa since the 70s. Norman hardly did anything unique or even original.

Those are good questions, MrsWargamer. The Dothraki were accused for doing a Charge of the Light Brigade. Then again, that is a historical event by a country very skilled of all things military at the time. Go figure.

Edit: Of course, the Light Bde was supposed to attack another enemy position instead of the one they charged, so FUBAR happens even with the best of intentions or plans.

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 5/15/2019 1:52:36 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 1:53:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Those are good questions, MrsWargamer. The Dothraki were accused for doing a Charge of the Light Brigade. Then again, that is a historical event by a country very skilled of all things military at the time. Go figure.
warspite1

Mmmmm that's pushing it somewhat . But I think there circumstances are massively different.

This was an army attacking a castle. Defending outside the castle walls was not clever - and charging with unsupported cavalry at the start of the set-piece battle was ludicrous... The defenders supposedly had time to come up with a plan...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 56
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 2:20:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Whoops yes I forgot to put John Snow in (I took him out of the Starks and didn't put him back in under Stark/Targaryen ). But I'm not sure the others you've mentioned - and the Onion Lord should be included - are major characters in terms of who ends up on the Iron Throne. I suppose Gendry is a possible because of his lineage, but I don't think there's anything in his story arc to suggest he is a contender - he was out of the series for so long. Surely he would be something of an afterthought if that is where they are going?

Without being arsed to look up Gendry's appearances, it seems to me that he's been involved in nearly every season at some stage. His hookup with Arya and dashed marriage proposal hopes brings him right back into the fold again. After Arya's change of heart (I thought that silly, but there you go) re: offing Cersei before the Cleganebowl, she may yet reconsider a life without assassination and revenge as a useful pastime.

Bronn's story arc is yet incomplete and I feel he will play an important final role, but don't know how. I don't see the sell sword settling down to the promised Riverrun or High Garden, per promises made him. Of course, with Cersei gone and done (and Tyrion too, I believe), who will be left to ratify or confirm promises made him?

Tyrion has shot his bolt re: his story arc. He's mortgaged his life to buy freedom for his brother. A steep price that was quickly squandered by Jamie's ill-conceived effort to extract Cersei from King's Landing. Sure, Jamie's rescue was unavoidably delayed (being stabbed twice in the kidneys will do that to your planning), but it eventually came to naught. Now his life is-nay MUST BE-forfeit in keeping with Daenery's warnings about failing her. She doesn't strike me as the sort that's in a frame of mind to offer mercy at this stage.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 57
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 2:23:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Defending outside the castle walls was not clever - and charging with unsupported cavalry at the start of the set-piece battle was ludicrous... The defenders supposedly had time to come up with a plan...

Don't get me started on the planning and execution failures on that battle please. Such elementary disregard for any tactical planning really detracted from the episode as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the special effects and melee were remarkable, but didn't overcome wanton stupidity in the battle planning.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 2:31:41 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

As it was, I fully expected that when he left Brienne to head back to King’s Landing, he was going there to kill Cersei. While leading the audience down one path to set up a twist in the tale can be a good thing - this just felt like a let down.

Yeah, I thought about that too. I liked it though. At the end of all things, we go back to whom we love and cherish. He never could shake his love for Cersei as a sibling, lover and-oh yeah-mother of his children. Apart from sentimental boyish fielty to his brother, who else should he spend the end of his life with? A hasty hookup that he just fell in with? The Northerners? Bronn? Jamie's choice to return to King's Landing and extricate his sister were also his word of honor (remember the promise when Tyrion freed him?) All the pieces fell as I think they should for Jamie's story arc. Tragic. But then again, have you noticed that many of the characters from this show meet with tragic ends that were of their own doing?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 59
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/15/2019 3:25:02 PM   
Rising-Sun

Well there a lot of things going on out there in real life about Game of Thrones...

Over 500 babies were name after Khaleesi...
https://www.fatherly.com/play/game-of-thrones-parents-khaleesi/

Too many mistakes in the last season (eighth)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WXaemq8JMY

I read up a lot of details and see some videos and feel like I already seen the last season. Already owned all seven seasons and I don't think I will like the last one, many didn't. Just didn't feel right. Girlfriend here is beggin to see it, now she got the picture what it will look like, she fed up with it lol.

My favorite part is about Rory (The Hound) talking about the chicken...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgo7Bos-uIM

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI