Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/14/2019 3:46:15 PM   
BillBrown

Sadly, none any more.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 181
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/14/2019 7:30:36 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It's kind of weird to admit that I've never had a sip of whiskey or bourbon or related beverages.
warspite1

I tried a sip of my Grandma's whisky when I was a kid. I'd never tasted anything so disgusting in my life and I've never been even remotely tempted to try it again.

I wonder if I - or rather my taste buds - would think differently now? But, 40+ years later, I can still 'taste' that like it was yesterday and doubt I will ever try it again.

I could basically say the same, but...

A while back I decided to try a single malt and loved it. Mind you its sippin' whisky. BTW I'm glad the 'good ones' are rather pricey, keeps me from becoming a flat out alcoholic.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 182
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/14/2019 8:40:48 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Free whiskey = favorite whiskey

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 183
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/15/2019 11:15:21 AM   
candiceflynn666

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

"Hey boss, I found this forum where the members play a computer game that simulates every rustbucket in the Pacific War as well as every flyboy that flew in that conflict. They even start games that take longer than the actual war itself and write something called an 'AAR' about them. There's even a guy who fancies himself a Gorn--you know, like the green thing that fought Kirk?"

"Candace, that's great. Find out what kind of whiskey they like. If this isn't our target market, nothing is."

Cheers,
CB

If you can keep me supplied with Weller 12 , I'll gladly be your target market. (And your new best friend). While I won't sell my soul outright, (at least for now) , I'll happily discuss a long term lease with an option!

Can i also opt in for lease

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 184
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/15/2019 1:09:12 PM   
candiceflynn666

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

Hahahahahah

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 185
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/15/2019 1:42:38 PM   
MakeeLearn

Attachment (1)

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 186
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/15/2019 6:01:34 PM   
oaltinyay

quote:

ORIGINAL: candiceflynn666

Anyone tried any indian whiskies?

Amrut single malt?

John Paul?

I recently run into something called "Monkey Shoulder". I would rather take my chance making a torpedo run ( using early MK13) against the Midway 4 with their cap at sea level , while in a TBD...

Incidentally, I prefer Hibiki Suntori with some ice and some minty chocolate ( thins )

< Message edited by oaltinyay -- 5/15/2019 6:03:25 PM >

Post #: 187
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/15/2019 6:06:01 PM   
Macclan5

quote:

I completely concur.

Further my favorite choices in beer (Microbrewery or Corporate producer) is

1) Free
2) Cold

I can choke back a room temperature beer like my 'British cousins' if I have to; however I think its another piece of evidence of their uncivilized cuisine.

I am a rather mild drinker though my father worked in a brewery for 42 years and I myself as a summer intern for 5. I too prefer Pilsners / Lagers (types of beer) over Ales / Stouts / Porters.

'My palate' is not very discerning per see.

I tend think the hype around certain brands is just that - hype and marketing. I suspect 75% of the population could not tell the difference in a true blind taste test between 99% of

(i) two types of lagers
(ii) two types of single malt scotch
(iii) two types of bourbon
(iv) two types of Canadian Rye whiskey (with an e)
(v) etc

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 188
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/16/2019 6:11:57 AM   
candiceflynn666

quote:

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

quote:

Anyone tried any indian whiskies?

Amrut single malt?

John Paul?

I recently run into something called "Monkey Shoulder". I would rather take my chance making a torpedo run ( using early MK13) against the Midway 4 with their cap at sea level , while in a TBD...

Incidentally, I prefer Hibiki Suntori with some ice and some minty chocolate ( thins )

chocolate with whisky? Never tried.

(in reply to oaltinyay)
Post #: 189
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/16/2019 7:47:01 AM   
jdsrae

I’m with you Mac, I prefer a lager or pils over these new fangled craft beers.
I’ve got a stack of whiskey on the top shelf, mainly single malts, but I rarely think of them.
I had a sip of one the other night to celebrate a career highlight, but whiskey is a special treat thing for me and I have no particular favourite. I just grabbed the one at the front of the stack. I did bust them all out last Christmas with the brother in laws, partially to stir up the mother in law.
I do have one of those extra size airport duty free bottles of Blue label a mate got me as a wedding present, but it’s unopened. I had some Blue label at a fancy restaurant once on a construction contractor’s corporate card (pre GFC, those were the days) but it was after about 40 beers so I still have no idea what it tastes like!

My only whiskey story of note is that my grandpa cured his “terminal lung cancer” through a combination of morphine tablets washed down with two bottles of JW red label a week. 9 months into his 6 month sentence he says “I’m feeling pretty good Doc I think I’ve get the big C beat.” Dr gave him no chance and attributed the “feeling good” to his rediscovered heavy drinking, but ran a few tests and the “cancer” had indeed shrunk. In hindsight the Dr thought the cancer was most likely a recurrence of some manky tropical lung infection the old boy first collected near Lae in the 1940s. My chances of getting lung cancer are pretty slim, but if I ever do I’ll give that “cure” a go.

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 5/16/2019 8:06:56 AM >

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

Post #: 190
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/16/2019 10:04:19 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

I completely concur.

Further my favorite choices in beer (Microbrewery or Corporate producer) is

1) Free
2) Cold

I can choke back a room temperature beer like my 'British cousins' if I have to; however I think its another piece of evidence of their uncivilized cuisine.

I am a rather mild drinker though my father worked in a brewery for 42 years and I myself as a summer intern for 5. I too prefer Pilsners / Lagers (types of beer) over Ales / Stouts / Porters.

'My palate' is not very discerning per see.

I tend think the hype around certain brands is just that - hype and marketing. I suspect 75% of the population could not tell the difference in a true blind taste test between 99% of

My wife, who never drinks liquor strait in any form, can tell the difference between Lagavulin 16yr and Balvenie 12 quite easily. She hates the first and only mildly dislikes the second.

I would guess virtually anyone, and I mean the most casual drinker, could tell the difference between Milwaukie's Best and a real Czech Budvar from Prague.

quote:

(i) two types of lagers
(ii) two types of single malt scotch
(iii) two types of bourbon
(iv) two types of Canadian Rye whiskey (with an e)
(v) etc

As an American reared on the absolute best/worst cold local mediocre beers (Ranier, Olympia, Henry Weinhardt's) I can tell you that it's cold to mask the lack of flavour. I love a cold beer, still. Especially on a hot summer day watching baseball.

Drinking a local Real Ale at cask temperature in a pub built before the Mayflower sailed is a completely different experience for the palate. A good one.

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/16/2019 10:13:18 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 191
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/16/2019 11:36:19 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert
it's cold to mask the lack of flavour.

Have seen several post here mentioning whisk(e)y and ice in the same glass - that's a no-go for me for the reason above. Ice anaesthetizes the taste buds - seems like a bad idea when sipping a drink rich in flavours.

Still enjoying the various Single Malt Scotch I have mentioned on page 1 of this thread four years ago, but I have added Japanese whiskies to my small collection, which IMO are not worse. Same for whiskies produced in Brittany (the region in North-Western France which, like Scotland, has a strong Celtic heritage), namely Kaerilis and Kornog which are quite drinkable (if you like it peaty).

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 192
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/16/2019 3:24:48 PM   
SaintEx

I have to preface this by saying that every three years or so, my best friend and I go to Scotland for a few days and visit distilleries. In fact, we laid down a cask at Bruichladdich a few years ago and in a few years more will each take possession of about 100 bottles of very fine Laddie.

Now, the very best whisky I've ever had was a 43-year-old Highland Park. It can't be purchased, it was during a tasting at the distillery (yes, we went all the way to the Orkneys to visit Highland Park... and of course visited the various monuments to Scapa Flo).

My personal favorite Islay whisky remains Lagavulin 16 (and I've been to Islay many times) although sometimes you just need a laphroig. My favorite Speyside is probably Glenfarclas 25.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 193
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/17/2019 7:17:15 AM   
candiceflynn666

quote:

ORIGINAL: SaintEx

I have to preface this by saying that every three years or so, my best friend and I go to Scotland for a few days and visit distilleries. In fact, we laid down a cask at Bruichladdich a few years ago and in a few years more will each take possession of about 100 bottles of very fine Laddie.

Now, the very best whisky I've ever had was a 43-year-old Highland Park. It can't be purchased, it was during a tasting at the distillery (yes, we went all the way to the Orkneys to visit Highland Park... and of course visited the various monuments to Scapa Flo).

My personal favorite Islay whisky remains Lagavulin 16 (and I've been to Islay many times) although sometimes you just need a laphroig. My favorite Speyside is probably Glenfarclas 25.

None in the highland scotch category?

(in reply to SaintEx)
Post #: 194
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/17/2019 1:57:49 PM   
ian77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macclan5

quote:

I completely concur.

(v) etc

Whoa! Whoa!

What is this "British Cousins" stuff, it is the English and Welsh who drink tepid beer, not Scots (anyway room temperature tends to be hovering close to zero Celsius in most Scottish cellars in mid July!)

We hae a wee dram to warm us up ken

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 195
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/17/2019 2:44:02 PM   
ian77

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: SaintEx

Erm... Speyside is in the Highlands......

And he is right, Highland Park is quiet excellent, never tasted a 46 year old one though.

There was a wee pub next to the locks in Fort Augustus at the western end of Loch Ness that used to have a hell of a collection of whisky, many many single malts and often from distilleries which had ceased production, some before I was even born. We made a point of never finishing the last bottle of a distillery no longer in production.
Spent many a pleasant night (and a small fortune) in there back in the late 70's and 80's.

Post #: 196
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/18/2019 11:37:04 AM   
fcooke

My taste in single malt is in line with SaintEx.....

I would add Talisker to the drink list. If one ever gets to Scotland in Edinborough there is a whiskey tasting museum which is worth a couple of hours.

Japanese whiskeys are quite good - and the Japanese can drink like fish. I was always able to hold my own with my London colleagues but the Tokyo ones scared me - and they all weighed less than I do.

Sadly - the number of old school pubs in the UK has been fast diminishing.

But I miss the smooth bitters from when I lived there. And the Ales. And the beers there are not really warm - maybe 50-55 degrees coming out of the cellar. Not poolside stuff but when I see PBR on tap next to Guinness now in the States I scratch my head. Give me Yeungling or Budvar (hard to find in the US though).

Speaking of Guinness - if you ever get to Dublin the Guinness museum is a must see - and some pubs near it within walking distance. Sadly last time I was there the Jameson facility was closed for renovations - next time.

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 197
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/18/2019 12:27:53 PM   
jdsrae

I just squeezed the last few drops out of a bottle of Oban 14.
It might be 20+ by now but I can’t remember where this one came from.
Happy Saturday everyone!

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to fcooke)
Post #: 198
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/18/2019 4:52:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

What is this "British Cousins" stuff, it is the English and Welsh who drink tepid beer, not Scots

Never considered the Scots as 'British Cousins'. 'Scots Cousins' maybe.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 199
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/18/2019 4:53:38 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Spent many a pleasant night (and a small fortune) in there

And a few brain cells, no doubt.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 200
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/18/2019 4:56:29 PM   
rustysi

quote:

but when I see PBR

Drank it when in the service at the NCO Club.

Once I got a decent paycheck, well...

quote:

Give me Yeungling or Budvar (hard to find in the US though).

Easy enough to find in my neck of the woods.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 201
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/19/2019 10:47:30 AM   
SaintEx

quote:

Actually Speyside is in the Highlands, so Glenfarclas is a Highland scotch. It's true that Speyside is typically kind of put off on its own, primarily because there are just so many whiskies there, but don't tell a Speyside resident that he's not a Highlander!

All that being said, of non-Speyside Highland whiskies I have a certain softness for Dalmore, which is a fine whisky but is particularly dear to me because of a simply wonderful distillery tour I did there long ago. I do like Oban as well (one of the few whiskies distilled in what might be called a city) and of course, there's Glenmorangie (which is, by the way, the most widely drunk single malt in Scotland). The thing with Glengmorangie is that they have so many different expressions it's difficult to classify the whisky as a whole, aside from the typical Glenmorangie feel to them (which is primarily a function of the local water's high calcium content). They have been very influential, though, in experimenting with different finishes and have done a lot to add variety to Scottish whisky practices. The distillery tour is a bit touristy, though.

I'd point out that perhaps my favorite distillery to visit is Jura. Nobody goes all the way to Jura to visit and they're quite pleased when you do. It's also a fascinating, rugged island. Well worth the trip.

< Message edited by SaintEx -- 5/19/2019 10:51:20 AM >

Post #: 202
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/20/2019 1:31:49 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I mentioned it years ago on this thread, but if any of you make it over here, I'll get you into the British Embassy pub on a Friday night. Dram prices run from about $4 for a Glenfarclas 12 and numerous others to $8 for a specialty 18-year-old with about 40-50 single-malts represented in all. They even have Bulleit Rye for variety. And that's not all: Their gin collection exploded last year.

Obvert is correct on drinking a cask ale in a fine pub. It's a great experience.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to SaintEx)
Post #: 203
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/20/2019 12:36:09 PM   
candiceflynn666

Anyone tried that egyptian whisky which was awarded in the whisky awards 2019?

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 204
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 8:13:59 PM   
AW1Steve

I just got back from a vacation/holiday in Kentucky. SOOOOOO many bourbons....so little time.

Post #: 205
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 8:18:14 PM   
btd64

quote:

I just got back from a vacation/holiday in Kentucky. SOOOOOO many bourbons....so little time.

Where did you go? We like Bourbon in this house.....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 206
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 10:42:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Lexington and Frankfort. We LOVE ALL whiskey/whisky in this house!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 207
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 10:50:09 PM   
Korvar

Scotch talk in the Lagavulin distillery:

(click to play)

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 208
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 10:54:15 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

Lexington and Frankfort. We LOVE ALL whiskey/whisky in this house!

So you went to Buffalo Trace? It's a great place....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 209
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/22/2019 11:32:30 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

Scotch talk in the Lagavulin distillery:

(click to play)

Men! Give them a few shots of whiskey and they start bragging about size! .....

Of the fish they caught!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI