Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 9/21/2018 12:23:29 AM   
jjdenver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254
I am curious. What sort of "campaign" is expected? Are there any other solid games at this scale and time period that offer a "campaign"?

Lack of campaign is also a big decision factor for me in any game. But I think I'd buy a game that made the scale/stacking and possibly interface level improvements from this developer just to get the battles. I always prefer campaigns but I remember really enjoying the operational level scenarios that Atomic Games Operation Crusader included. Those were not small scale - they covered large battles that were very interesting but at a playable scale (# of units to manage was high but not ridiculous). I also played some even larger scenarios in Atomic Games Stalingrad game including the monster full campaign scenario (just 1 scenario but covered a huge map and long timeline. It was large but you could build up to it by playing some smaller scenarios that simulated just some parts of the full campaign scenario, and unit stacks never became too much of a burden iirc.

Anyway on to campaign. I think there are 2(?) basic types of campaigns that could be included:

1) chained scenarios with some carry-over effect and branching a la panzer general. This can be accomplished by letting units (slowly!!) accumulate experience, by giving some currency for achievements during the previous battles and the currency can be spent to mildly improve your situation in the next battle (i.e. extra air support, or an extra regiment of artillery, etc), or in other ways.
2) A large "campaign" single scenario that covers the full timeline of all the small scenarios and the full map area. This is of think harder for developers to play balance and get right since there will be various events (reinforcements or negative effects triggered by player actions in game). For example if an airfield is taken maybe air missions are reduced, or if a rail station is captured supply is harder to distribute, or if a port is captured enemy supply might be easier, etc etc.

In any case I hope the next game can include some campaign(s) since I think I'd enjoy it and so would most players. Campaigns is one of the main reasons for the popularity of panzer general imo. The tactical battles aren't really very awesome and imo the campaign design is kinda stupid (why are there an infinite number of polish tanks rolling at the germans in a scenario for example) but have a bigger/longer picture to consider while playing the tactical battles.

(in reply to Okayrun3254)
Post #: 91
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 9/24/2018 1:46:24 PM   
Steely Glint

Too much clicking.

“It was a war of snap judgments and binary results—shoot or don’t, live or die.“

Wargamer since 1967. Matrix customer since 2003.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 92
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 9/28/2018 4:34:26 PM   
Ron

I did have this on my wish list, but held back from buying due to AI limitations. I messed around with the previous free version and was very interested in seeing the concept develop, especially the Desert War theatre, but that too had almost an almost non existent AI, forgivable due to the state of the game. However, after reading AARs and people's impressions it appears nothing has really changed in that regard. Perhaps not a fair comparison at all but I ended up revisiting and getting the updated TOAWIV, great game and has a fairly challenging AI imo.

(in reply to Steely Glint)
Post #: 93
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 9/29/2018 4:00:12 PM   
Omnius

Just waiting for the Xmas sale coming soon. I don't buy games upon initial release, they're just not ready for prime time. I like to buy games that are pretty much developed and patched, at least a year after release. I recently bought the Distant Worlds:Universe game and enjoy playing a game that has few bugs. I'll also buy the TOAW4 game this Xmas sale since it's over a year old now and I'll play that first before delving into Desert War. By then there may be a third or fourth patch. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series. I love WEGO games so am rooting for this game to be successful!

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 94
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/9/2018 8:41:47 PM   
sIg3b

Didn´t buy it, because the AI is generally said no to be cut-throat. I am only interested in SP and want a terribly strong Computer opponent.

Also, I don´t care much for WEGO. A Chess-like IGOUGO with a (nearly) Chess-like AI would have been an instant buy.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 95
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 12/10/2018 4:57:05 AM   
bcgames

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Keep it coming. Every bit is considered.

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 96
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/7/2019 3:56:26 AM   
bcgames

Bump.

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 97
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/10/2019 3:33:39 PM   
Werewolf13

1) Price too high. Definitely buy at a $19.99 price point. Leaning towards buying at the sale price point but...
2) Number of units in most scenarios too high for my liking. Used to like monster games (this one looks like a small monster) but as I grow older I find myself becoming less and less tolerant of having to deal with a 100+ units/turn.

N. Africa Campaign is one of my favorite in WWII, Italy campaign being my favorite. N.Africa is a big selling point for me.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 98
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2019 2:07:09 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf13
N. Africa Campaign is one of my favorite in WWII, Italy campaign being my favorite.

If the Italian Campaign is your favorite, keep an eye out for my upcoming Salerno scenario. I've been working hard on this one:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4572815

Stay tuned.

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 99
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2019 2:16:51 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: sIg3b

Didn´t buy it, because the AI is generally said no to be cut-throat. I am only interested in SP and want a terribly strong Computer opponent.

We got the message on this one; Slitherine coached us to exert a soft AI-hand over The Player. Our intent now is to deliver the opponent back to the Stone Age. Let's see what we can do to make single-player less soft-handed.

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 100
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2019 2:33:23 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ron

...Perhaps not a fair comparison at all but I ended up revisiting and getting the updated TOAWIV, great game and has a fairly challenging AI imo.

Agree. I have all the editions of TOAW...NOW...thanks to the current Matrix sale. Get TOAWIV before the sale closes! It's a great game and has a great, easy-to-use game editor. It has LOTS of scenarios (...and more coming), excellent game support, and dedicated supporters--I'm one of them. Go get it! Seriously. Enjoy!

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 101
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 1/12/2019 2:38:09 AM   
bcgames

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series. I love WEGO games so am rooting for this game to be successful!

Thanks. What's next is Eastern Front, regimental/brigade-level.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 102
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/25/2019 7:52:45 PM   
ETF

quote:

Also, I don´t care much for WEGO. A Chess-like IGOUGO with a (nearly) Chess-like AI would have been an instant buy.

IGOUGO is so unrealistic IMHO. Wego is the only standard for modern wargames that I will touch. Most higher end products are WEGO.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 103
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/25/2019 7:56:41 PM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: bcgames

quote:

We got the message on this one; Slitherine coached us to exert a soft AI-hand over The Player. Our intent now is to deliver the opponent back to the Stone Age. Let's see what we can do to make single-player less soft-handed.

Really glad you put resources into other things than an AI. I know that will draw flack but lets face I have been CPU wargaming since 83 and I have NEVER seen an AI that is better than an intermediate player even maybe not even that good. Usually, it is only good for tutorials unless you want to play a cheating AI. Just my two cents. Surely in this day in age you can find a worthy similar opponent.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 104
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/25/2019 7:59:03 PM   
ETF

I have a few friends that are willing to play and pay but would love to see it on Steam just in case they don't like it and can get a refund. Any chance it will end up on steam or this is not in your business model? Love the program. North Africa might not be popular as much to our American cousins? Hence lower sales?
Cheers

Twitter

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 105
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 2/26/2019 1:24:54 PM   
Saint Ruth

Maybe, but now concentrating on updates for the next one!

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 106
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 3/2/2019 1:28:23 PM   
ETF

Sounds good. Love the program sir. Worth the buy.

Twitter

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 107
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 3/4/2019 12:00:35 PM   
Saint Ruth

Cheers, Brian

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 108
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 3/13/2019 7:18:16 PM   
ninja81

quote:

quote:

When will the new patch come out?
Any hope to implement AI in the scenario enter rommel?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 109
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 3/14/2019 12:48:01 AM   
bcgames

Very soon.

(in reply to ninja81)
Post #: 110
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 4/6/2019 3:58:30 AM   
bcgames

With all the fixes to date, why haven't you bought? What's wrong with the game--still?

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 111
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 4/6/2019 4:44:06 AM   
danlongman

I'm no help. I bought it out of the gate and I love it.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 112
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 4/8/2019 2:12:25 PM   
Saint Ruth

Cheers!

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 113
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/10/2019 1:42:23 PM   
Smirfy

Needs a Steam release

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 114
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/10/2019 6:24:23 PM   
dox44

don't care for WEGO and TOAW4 desert battles are excellent.

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 115
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/10/2019 10:40:22 PM   
berto

I purchased the game last week with my Matrix member anniversary discount. If I didn't buy the game before, it was in part due to the subject matter (just a mild interest), but mainly limited free time. I don't like to spend money on games I know I will never play. But I'll try to set aside time for this one.

< Message edited by berto -- 5/11/2019 12:46:55 AM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 116
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/11/2019 12:40:20 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto
I purchased the game last week with my Matrix member anniversary discount. If I didn't buy the game before, it was in part due to the subject matter (just a mild interest), but mainly limited free time. I don't like to spend money on games I know I will never play.

I'm kinda the same way...bought the game several months ago but still haven't played it! Main reason is lack of time and limited interest in the theater.

I'm very interested in the system, but am mostly interested in WWII East Front, so looking forward to any expansion in that direction--I would definitely be a Day 1 buy for that.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 117
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/13/2019 12:12:08 PM   
wodin

As long as it isn't cheating. I'm useless gamer anyway so a decent AI has no need to cheat against me.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to bcgames)
Post #: 118
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/16/2019 1:42:45 PM   
ETF

quote:

Curious which matrix games have "cutthroat AI". Computer wargaming since 84 and never have seen any (non-cheating) AI better than at best intermediate player. Not saying I've come even close to playing all of the matrix games maybe I've missed a classic. Also why IGOUGO? Don't you find WEGO a much more realistic portrayal of operational combat?

IMHO nothing beats an online friend playing a friendly game for the most excitement. Yes, you might lose once in a while but it is so much more enjoyable.

< Message edited by ETF -- 5/16/2019 1:46:36 PM >

Twitter

(in reply to sIg3b)
Post #: 119
RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? - 5/16/2019 5:46:33 PM   
Simulacra53

Initial graphics.
It was the Escorpion mod that drew my in
I still don’t like the GUI presentation.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Desert War 1940 - 1942 >> RE: Desert War: Why Didn't You Buy? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI