Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game of Thrones

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 4:04:43 PM   
elmo3

It was a great series, and now my watch is ended....

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 91
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 4:59:21 PM   
MrsWargamer

Militarily, I have NEVER watched any form of fiction that didn't annoy me on some level.

Drama wise, Game of Thrones joins SG1 as one of my most loved shows.

I am ok with the ending.

I'm glad it ended quickly.

I loved Babylon 5 right up till they defeated the reason for the show, and then couldn't admit it was over. Its last season should never have happened, and Crusade is a very bad idea. Glad it died.

When you weave an objective into a show, the show is over when you reach the objective.

I hope they never touch Game of Thrones in the future.

Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 92
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 5:20:17 PM   
zakblood

i tend to not watch TV tbh and watch most of mine from downloads, as i like to watch them in comfort and also in the order is wish when i want, so if i want a whole day of a given series, i do, and cant be doing with 1 half hour a week with months or more inbetween series etc, so mostly never watch live ones, unless they really float my boat

and yes loved scfi,

Babylon 5, SG1, star trek later ones etc, not the early Kirk gets to girls each week type,

Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and yes even Star Trek: Voyager the search for female toiletries, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Atlantis, Star Trek: Enterprise, Farscape, 3rd Rock from the Sun (just cos i'm daft) , Stargate Universe, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Red Dwarf but not the later series, early ones only for me,,, Andromeda, Space: 1999 (classic) Stargate Origins, Earth: Final Conflict, Blake's 7 and many many others

looking forward to

Star Trek: Picard

(in reply to MrsWargamer)
Post #: 93
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 5:34:39 PM   
warspite1

Personally I have nothing against the ending (with perhaps one exception). The problem – as mentioned previously – is the pacing and thus the story telling.

Sansa ending up Queen of t'North, an independent enclave on Westeros, check – Ned would be proud. Arya going off to contemplate her naval in the west? Check, she was never going to settle for being a Lady of some great estate or whateves. Mardy, “tha’ don’t know owt Jon Snow”, ending up with his whippet (well Direwolf) in t’north – t’ real north. Check. Tyrion survives – thank goodness for that, my favourite male character. Check. Lord Edmure being a total dipstick – top marks for that one. Also I did like Brienne’s scene and the epitath she gave to Ser Jaime – and she gets a job in the small council with Bronn – now master of coin…. Er really? Speaking of coin, so the whole Bank of Braavos red herring was just er a red herring.

But the two main protagonists? For practically the entire run its been clear Daenerys and Jon Snow (ignoring the small matter of his murder of course) are going to be around till the end. As the show neared its climax, (and the MoD became increasingly unhinged) it became ever more apparent that these two would have to come together eventually – good (but a bit dull) vs evil (but more than a bit tasty).

And sure enough they did… and Jon killed his lover, auntie, Queen etc. Dramatic huh? Er… no. That scene must have taken about 5 minutes…. Really?? It’s not a bloody afterthought – it’s the climax of the Game of Thrones!!

They could have made it so much more dramatic. Jon, after his chat with Tyrion, knows what needs to be done and goes to confront her. But then the MoD waxes lyrical about a better world, breaking the wheel, shiny biceps for all etc, and Jon, the mopey bastard who knows nothing, succumbs to Daenerys ‘charms’. It looks like he will fall into line only for the MoD to say something inopportune about the north and/or Sansa. Only at that point does Jon wake up, smell the coffee, and plunge his sword in Daenerys (ohh er missus, cheeky!).

The whole Jon/MoD scene – the culmination of the series for goodness sake - was just too rushed. Blink and you’d have missed it. BTW, does anyone know why Drogon melted the Iron Throne? Was that a spot of political satire from the fire breathing beast? And where he at? Last we heard he was conveniently still heading east out of the story – maybe he’ll meet Arya heading west if the world is indeed round.

And as for what followed…..

So Jon has killed someone who is effectively a goddess to the Dothraki and the saviour to the Unsullied , who are programmed to fight to the death for her. Oh and where the hell did all those Unsullied come from? Despite the Harpies, the Undead, and the Lannisters, there were more Unsullied at the end than when Daenerys freed them from that old weasel in Astaphor or wherever it was. But I digress, so after Jon has slain their Queen what happens? He’s locked up instead of being hung, drawn and quartered… of course. “Mr Snow?” “Aye, appen as maybe”. “I’m arresting you sunshine on suspicion of Regicide… you have the right to remain silent……”.

But it gets worse. Tyrion – who betrayed the MoD remember - is brought before the gathering of familiar faces from previous episodes/series under armed guard led by Grey Worm. Who is Grey Worm taking orders from to do this? His Queen has been brutally slain in her hour of triumph but Grey Worm – apart from shouting a little bit at Tyrion and tells him he’s not here to speak – is then content to allow Tyrion to conduct proceedings…..

This wasn’t just rushed, it was borderline farcical – Lord Edmure aside (although he could have brought Lady Roslin along with him, the selfish whatsit).

And that just leaves Bran. As mentioned previously, even when GoT was hitting the heights spectacularly (essentially the entire seasons 1-6) the whole speccy 4-eyes raven thing was something of a fast forward moment. Why is he King? What about old whatisface? Maximillian Schell?* Why didn’t he get to be King when he was the previous 3-eyed raven? What did he get for his trouble and pain, just a rented room in Whalley Range – well by that I mean he sort of grew into tree type thing or something and lived underground like a Womble. Seems a bit unfair.

So who chose Bran to be whatever he was? Did he know he was going to be King? Did he know MoD was a nutter? Being King should be fun for him though. If he wants to know what his subjects are doing he just needs to do the eye rolling malarchy and spy on them. It’s good to be King.

But the whole Bran thing aside, I really wished they'd dug their heels in and said - either we make series 7 and 8 10 episodes or we don't make it. The story then stood a chance to have been told in a way that the series deserved - not to mention the millions of fans who invested so much time in it.

*EDIT - no the other one it was Max von Sydow

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/20/2019 5:52:01 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 94
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 5:51:13 PM   
zakblood

i wrote the ending while i was in the loo,

and this is what happens next,

dragon comes back, fight with Jon on his back, who then leads the north against, the real north, not the one made by and for Sansa against the other north who falls out with her brother and King of the 6 kingdoms so he Jon is stuck in the middle and knocks sense into both of them, sister and brother etc, well not real ones, but you get my drift, Grey Worm becomes a farmer as he makes men out of thin air so tries his hands at fruit and veg for the fun if it, Brienne’s becomes a man, Bronn losses manhood and becomes a woman as fitting for master of coin or whispers, i forget now but doesn't matter, as if it made much sense some may believe it.

Tyrion goes back to naughty ladies and wine, but must agree with warspite1,. he's the only one who played a really good part and was written well for for the most parts, apart from the brought it chains bit and then makes the decisions etc etc

and yes if they had it made it longer, the battles could have been epic, instead of meh

iceman comes, fights dies, end of

draw up plans to defend, well lets build these massive rock throwers, then not use them, i know lets put them in the front line and fire them only once, instead of in the castle and use them 100's of time, or lets build just a hole in the ground and make fire in it, instead of multiple defenses so could have held for more than 5 mins

i can't say it as good as the critics, who post of many things wrong and go into a lot more details, but closing for me is i'm glad it's done, even if it's done poorly imo everyone, end of

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2019/05/19/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-6-the-series-finale/#6c34184b5049

found this also a few weeks ago now and thought it would also be good to share,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5mJRFaI8c

and his follow on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmfuMxWDxw

like me he loves war games and history and also the TV series, so must admit i do agree with his plans or thoughts as well on what went wrong on some other parts of the TV ending and battle parts this time

< Message edited by zakblood -- 5/20/2019 6:49:50 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 95
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 6:41:59 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Personally I have nothing against the ending (with perhaps one exception). The problem – as mentioned previously – is the pacing and thus the story telling.

Sansa ending up Queen of t'North, an independent enclave on Westeros, check – Ned would be proud. Arya going off to contemplate her naval in the west? Check, she was never going to settle for being a Lady of some great estate or whateves. Mardy, “tha’ don’t know owt Jon Snow”, ending up with his whippet (well Direwolf) in t’north – t’ real north. Check. Tyrion survives – thank goodness for that, my favourite male character. Check. Lord Edmure being a total dipstick – top marks for that one. Also I did like Brienne’s scene and the epitath she gave to Ser Jaime – and she gets a job in the small council with Bronn – now master of coin…. Er really? Speaking of coin, so the whole Bank of Braavos red herring was just er a red herring.

But the two main protagonists? For practically the entire run its been clear Daenerys and Jon Snow (ignoring the small matter of his murder of course) are going to be around till the end. As the show neared its climax, (and the MoD became increasingly unhinged) it became ever more apparent that these two would have to come together eventually – good (but a bit dull) vs evil (but more than a bit tasty).

And sure enough they did… and Jon killed his lover, auntie, Queen etc. Dramatic huh? Er… no. That scene must have taken about 5 minutes…. Really?? It’s not a bloody afterthought – it’s the climax of the Game of Thrones!!

They could have made it so much more dramatic. Jon, after his chat with Tyrion, knows what needs to be done and goes to confront her. But then the MoD waxes lyrical about a better world, breaking the wheel, shiny biceps for all etc, and Jon, the mopey bastard who knows nothing, succumbs to Daenerys ‘charms’. It looks like he will fall into line only for the MoD to say something inopportune about the north and/or Sansa. Only at that point does Jon wake up, smell the coffee, and plunge his sword in Daenerys (ohh er missus, cheeky!).

The whole Jon/MoD scene – the culmination of the series for goodness sake - was just too rushed. Blink and you’d have missed it. BTW, does anyone know why Drogon melted the Iron Throne? Was that a spot of political satire from the fire breathing beast? And where he at? Last we heard he was conveniently still heading east out of the story – maybe he’ll meet Arya heading west if the world is indeed round.

So Jon has killed someone who is effectively a goddess to the Dothraki and the saviour to the Unsullied , who are programmed to fight to the death for her. Oh and where the hell did all those Unsullied come from? Despite the Harpies, the Undead, and the Lannisters, there were more Unsullied at the end than when Daenerys freed them from that old weasel in Astaphor or wherever it was. But I digress, so after Jon has slain their Queen what happens? He’s locked up instead of being hung, drawn and quartered… of course. “Mr Snow?” “Aye, appen as maybe”. “I’m arresting you sunshine on suspicion of Regicide… you have the right to remain silent……”.

But it gets worse. Tyrion – who betrayed the MoD remember - is brought before the gathering of familiar faces from previous episodes/series under armed guard led by Grey Worm. Who is Grey Worm taking orders from to do this? His Queen has been brutally slain in her hour of triumph but Grey Worm – apart from shouting a little bit at Tyrion and tells him he’s not here to speak – is then content to allow Tyrion to conduct proceedings…..

This wasn’t just rushed, it was borderline farcical – Lord Edmure aside (although he could have brought Lady Roslin along with him, the selfish whatsit).

And that just leaves Bran. As mentioned previously, even when GoT was hitting the heights spectacularly (essentially the entire seasons 1-6) the whole speccy 4-eyes raven thing was something of a fast forward moment. Why is he King? What about old whatisface? Maximillian Schell?* Why didn’t he get to be King when he was the previous 3-eyed raven? What did he get for his trouble and pain, just a rented room in Whalley Range – well by that I mean he sort of grew into tree type thing or something and lived underground like a Womble. Seems a bit unfair.

So who chose Bran to be whatever he was? Did he know he was going to be King? Did he know MoD was a nutter? Being King should be fun for him though. If he wants to know what his subjects are doing he just needs to do the eye rolling malarchy and spy on them. It’s good to be King.

But the whole Bran thing aside, I really wished they'd dug their heels in and said - either we make series 7 and 8 10 episodes or we don't make it. The story then stood a chance to have been told in a way that the series deserved - not to mention the millions of fans who invested so much time in it.

I agree. Did the Showrunners not know what to do without GRR Martin to guide them? Too many loose ends and rushed, improbable events.

It reminds me of the end of the Lord of the Rings - 'and they all lived happily ever after' (excepting Sean Bean, of course).

How could you possibly confuzzle Max and Maximilian?

Attachment (3)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 96
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 6:56:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

warspite1

Well they're both called Maximilian Schell and both were in Cross of Iron, except Max von Sydow

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 97
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 7:09:45 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well they're both called Maximilian Schell and both were in Cross of Iron, except Max von Sydow

If Monty had been in command we'd still be waiting for a battle.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 98
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 7:15:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

And if Patton was in command he would've bitch-slapped half the Lannister Army...but only if they were suffering from PTSD

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 5/20/2019 7:18:09 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 99
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 7:16:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

The directors were going to have him in charge, but then it was pointed out they only had 6 episodes.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 100
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 7:26:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

They should've lined up Monty and MacArthur. Never mind Battle of the Bastards - this would've been known as Battle of the giant egotistical preening prima donnas....

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 101
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 9:18:28 PM   
loki100

quote:

To me the gap is that in the last season Daenerys lacked any real agency until her version of the Nuremburg rally at the end.

By that I mean she almost never had the chance to do anything but react/respond or have people decide what her motives were?

At the end I don't think she was mad in any real sense of that word. In her own terms she was chillingly rational and had been all series. At the core, she had absorbed a fundamentally totalitarian world view, and with the usual side-order of being able to commit any crime as it is all done to make a better world for everyone (well everyone your chosen ideology can accommodate).

I think the equivalent of an extra episode in between beating the undead and her burning down Kings Landing would have allowed some of that to be better explored ... and given how good the series has been on issues around the nature/purpose of power a good fit?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 102
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 10:03:46 PM   
bomccarthy

quote:

I guess the question is what does one do when one's savior/goddess is dead and you are effectively under siege in a wrecked foreign city by forces that probably outnumbered you when you first reached King's Landing and are growing each day? By moving all of their troops into King's Landing, and likely dependent upon supplies from the Northern armies (who now besiege them), the Unsullied and Dothraki were probably in a situation growing more dire each week.

While fierce in battle, the Dothraki were cold-blooded when it came to their leaders - recall the end of Season 1 when they abandoned the camp the very night Khal Drogo became incapacitated. In this case, their Khaleesi is dead and they are running out of food (courtesy of Khaleesi and her dragon).

As for the Unsullied, they are not automatons. Gray Worm was not appointed their leader - they elected him (Season 2, I recall), meaning they were capable of independent and rational thought. Gray Worm had already recognized that they would have no place in Westeros once Daenerys had taken the Iron Throne; now that she was dead they were really in the wrong place at the wrong time. Leaderless, facing a besieging force, and with supplies running out, the Unsullied had to find a way to negotiate their way out.

This made Jon/Aegon and Tyrion less prisoners than hostages. Ser Davos offers the Unsullied land of their own in Westeros - so the negotiation begins.

This is where my frustration builds. The show's creators needed to include scenes of the immediate aftermath to Daenerys' death: Gray Worm and the Unsullied discovering Daenerys and Drogon gone, with a huge blood stain on the floor, the melted lump that used to be the Iron Throne, and Jon/Aegon in grief. They needed to show conversations amongst the Unsullied and even the Dothraki that touched upon rage (he murdered our Khaleesi), unease (the Northern armies who outnumber us have withdrawn to outside what's left of the city walls), and even dread (the little food left inside the city is disappearing and how the hell do we get out of this place). Such scenes would have set up what ultimately happened in the the grand council scene.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 103
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/20/2019 10:05:24 PM   
Rising-Sun

Yeah it is sad to see Jon killed her, at first I wouldn't think he would. But is pissed off a lot of fans out there and over 500 fans sign something want this remade something more straight forward. Well it already done, cant undo it.

But however I did enjoy watching all seven seasons, but I hated the last one. Dunno if I will buy that dvd collection along with my seven seasons.

Btw my favorite series is Babylon 5, got all of them on dvd. It was pretty good, all the way til the end. I didn't really care for star trek series or other any other sci-fi. I did however like Witchblade and Westworld, pretty good series. Battlestar Galactia (new) wasn't too bad, but okay.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 104
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 3:43:22 AM   
Gilmer

I kept hoping for The Hound to pop up and say something to the effect of, "I'm a big blanker and hard to kill!" with a few more burn scars, but now not as afraid of fire and a little more confident of being a better person.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 105
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 3:56:21 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: KurtC

I kept hoping for The Hound to pop up and say something to the effect of, "I'm a big blanker and hard to kill!" with a few more burn scars, but now not as afraid of fire and a little more confident of being a better person.

+1
If anyone could survive that, it's the Hound.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 106
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 4:04:20 AM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

It is a little known secret that Max von Sydow was the body double for Steve McQueen in his early films. Here he is in an outtake from The Blob.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 107
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:31:29 AM   
zakblood

and so it goes on, and on, then on some more,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48280752

Game of Thrones prequel, in filming atm,...

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 108
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 1:15:12 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: KurtC

+1
If anyone could survive that, it's the Hound.

He could have bounced off the mountain breaking his fall, and then landed in some kind of shelter from the fire. I know it can happen!

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 109
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 3:07:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

To me the gap is that in the last season Daenerys lacked any real agency until her version of the Nuremburg rally at the end.

By that I mean she almost never had the chance to do anything but react/respond or have people decide what her motives were?

At the end I don't think she was mad in any real sense of that word. In her own terms she was chillingly rational and had been all series. At the core, she had absorbed a fundamentally totalitarian world view, and with the usual side-order of being able to commit any crime as it is all done to make a better world for everyone (well everyone your chosen ideology can accommodate).

I think the equivalent of an extra episode in between beating the undead and her burning down Kings Landing would have allowed some of that to be better explored ... and given how good the series has been on issues around the nature/purpose of power a good fit?
warspite1

Ah the age old question; is someone mad or just evil? Its an interesting point. I think its easier to accept the excesses of someone like Hitler or Heydrich etc. by believing they were mad (to a greater or lesser extent). The alternative is pretty chilling. Ultimately though it's more about the results of an action rather than some convenient bucket to place someone in. I agree that in GoT Daenerys probably wasn't mad. She a genuine belief that her way was right and that the people don't get a choice.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 110
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 3:38:52 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bomccarthy

quote:

I guess the question is what does one do when one's savior/goddess is dead and you are effectively under siege in a wrecked foreign city by forces that probably outnumbered you when you first reached King's Landing and are growing each day? By moving all of their troops into King's Landing, and likely dependent upon supplies from the Northern armies (who now besiege them), the Unsullied and Dothraki were probably in a situation growing more dire each week.

While fierce in battle, the Dothraki were cold-blooded when it came to their leaders - recall the end of Season 1 when they abandoned the camp the very night Khal Drogo became incapacitated. In this case, their Khaleesi is dead and they are running out of food (courtesy of Khaleesi and her dragon).

As for the Unsullied, they are not automatons. Gray Worm was not appointed their leader - they elected him (Season 2, I recall), meaning they were capable of independent and rational thought. Gray Worm had already recognized that they would have no place in Westeros once Daenerys had taken the Iron Throne; now that she was dead they were really in the wrong place at the wrong time. Leaderless, facing a besieging force, and with supplies running out, the Unsullied had to find a way to negotiate their way out.

This made Jon/Aegon and Tyrion less prisoners than hostages. Ser Davos offers the Unsullied land of their own in Westeros - so the negotiation begins.

This is where my frustration builds. The show's creators needed to include scenes of the immediate aftermath to Daenerys' death: Gray Worm and the Unsullied discovering Daenerys and Drogon gone, with a huge blood stain on the floor, the melted lump that used to be the Iron Throne, and Jon/Aegon in grief. They needed to show conversations amongst the Unsullied and even the Dothraki that touched upon rage (he murdered our Khaleesi), unease (the Northern armies who outnumber us have withdrawn to outside what's left of the city walls), and even dread (the little food left inside the city is disappearing and how the hell do we get out of this place). Such scenes would have set up what ultimately happened in the the grand council scene.
warspite1

Given what Daenerys was to the Unsullied and Dothraki I just don’t see how Jon Snow would have survived capture – at least not intact anyway.

And if we ignore the anomaly of the rapidly multiplying numbers, why would the forces ranged against them be that much greater? It would have taken ages to reach King’s Landing. Those troops – mostly survivors of the fight with the NK, have no way of knowing if Drogon has gone for good or just gone to a funeral and will be back for vengeance shortly. Getting together enough men to overwhelm the deadly Dothraki and Unsullied would surely be far from certain?

I take your point about the Dothraki and the Khals. But Daenerys isn’t a Khal. In front of the Dothraki she immolated the Khals and came out of the furnace fully intact. Some of those have seen her do this neat little trick twice. She is surely more a Goddess than a run-of-the-mill Khal?

I would need to go back to the description of the Unsullied, but I suspect they are effectively automatons – that was their training - and they have been freed by the MoD. But as you say, they are led by the MoD’s right hand man, the man besotted with Missandei, and who has seen her executed. On the word of the Queen he was more than happy to continue the fighting after the surrender and to then execute PoW’s without question. I don’t think his character would have thought twice about putting an end to Jon Snow in the most painful way imaginable.

The final point you make is I think universal – it’s not necessarily what the makers delivered – it’s in the p*** poor delivery itself.

Final points from me that has been nagging away since yesterday.

Firstly, and I mentioned this before when not knowing that the Night’s Watch would remain in existence. What the hell for? The Wildlings and the North now have a bond. They choose to go back north of the wall. Fine. But what does Tormund think when the Night’s Watch start to man the castles once more and rebuild the wall? Can he expect raiding parties when the North decide they don’t like the Wildlings anymore? Tyrion explained it with a simplistic (I paraphrase) “there will always be a need to find a home for criminals and bastard sons”. Well yes, but that is not the totally redundant Night Watch for whom there would literally be nothing to do on a daily basis……

Secondly, Sansa decides (and the ‘council’ agrees) that the North will be an independent Kingdom on Westeros. So am I right in thinking the (melted) Iron Throne rules over the 6 Kingdoms and that there is no political link between the two? If so then what in the name of Bonaparte’s balls were the northern contingent on that council, voting on who would be the next ruler? As soon as it was agreed that the north had left the United (six) Kingdoms then they would have absolutely NO right to any say in what happened to the south.

And again trying to bring some sort of real life thinking into this, the position would be that the north is now a separate Kingdom ruled by a Stark – but a Stark is conveniently now installed at King’s Landing. Totally and utterly unrealistic to the people from south of ‘the north’ surely??

(in reply to bomccarthy)
Post #: 111
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 4:08:30 PM   
rico21

IIIrd Reich had put his last marks in Wacht am Rhein, Game of Thrones put $ 15 million in episode 3 and did not have enough money for another battle.
Without money, it always ends poorly.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 112
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 4:28:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

IIIrd Reich had put his last marks in Wacht am Rhein, Game of Thrones put $ 15 million in episode 3 and did not have enough money for another battle.
Without money, it always ends poorly.
warspite1

Well that is the first time I've heard anyone suggest the problems of Season 8 were the lack of a battle scene. The battles were fine (granted the tactics were rubbish) it was the dialogue - or lack thereof - caused by the limited number of episodes and the pacing of the key events that was the issue. Even if six episodes was not for negotiation, how much money would it have cost to merge episode 1 and 2 into one and then flesh out the character dialogue leading up to the final denouement. Daenery's actions needed better explanation, Varys' machinations deserved more time, Jamie's battle between good and bad needed more time, the contrived ending of Euron was pointless - just have him immolated with the fleet instead of some half-arsed fight as he turns up on the beach just as Jaime is on his way to Cersei, and I'm sure there were others - but most of all make the Jon/Dany scene spectacular and unexpected - not some 5 minute afterthought - "scratch one MoD".

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 113
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 4:58:38 PM   
rico21

Well, Game of Thrones is about power, power has to be taken, not ask it. So all the whim of why they're going to hit their competitors are secondary.
A prequel series is currently shooting.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 114
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 4:59:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Firstly, and I mentioned this before when not knowing that the Night’s Watch would remain in existence. What the hell for? The Wildlings and the North now have a bond. They choose to go back north of the wall. Fine. But what does Tormund think when the Night’s Watch start to man the castles once more and rebuild the wall? Can he expect raiding parties when the North decide they don’t like the Wildlings anymore? Tyrion explained it with a simplistic (I paraphrase) “there will always be a need to find a home for criminals and bastard sons”. Well yes, but that is not the totally redundant Night Watch for whom there would literally be nothing to do on a daily basis……

The history of the White Walkers is embedded in the saga of the North. It's happened before the GOT timeline and I suspect there's every reason to believe that sensible minds think it will happen again. Who knows if their next 'visit' will be in 1000 years or merely a hundred? Rebuilding the wall may not be necessary *tomorrow*, but the planning for rebuilding and remanning the wall needs to start soon. In the LONG view, the Knight's Watch is not redundant and rebuilding the institution should be a reasonable priority.

What struck me about the scene where they're walking into the North with the Wildlings was the staged green shoot emerging from the snow. As if it was portending propitious growing conditions and the promise of warm Spring weather soon. Wasn't Winter coming? Did the rise of the White Walkers coincide with the peak of Winter conditions and it's Spring already? Didn't these Winters last hundreds of years?

quote:

Secondly, Sansa decides (and the ‘council’ agrees) that the North will be an independent Kingdom on Westeros. So am I right in thinking the (melted) Iron Throne rules over the 6 Kingdoms and that there is no political link between the two? If so then what in the name of Bonaparte’s balls were the northern contingent on that council, voting on who would be the next ruler? As soon as it was agreed that the north had left the United (six) Kingdoms then they would have absolutely NO right to any say in what happened to the south.

And again trying to bring some sort of real life thinking into this, the position would be that the north is now a separate Kingdom ruled by a Stark – but a Stark is conveniently now installed at King’s Landing. Totally and utterly unrealistic to the people from south of ‘the north’ surely??

I hadn't thought of it in exactly that way, but I agree. The North stuffed the ballot box and no one said a thing about it. BTW was anyone present speaking for whatever remained of the Lannisters' interests?

As a non-sequitor, how are European Parliamentary elections going? I'm sure the "Southerners" have a view about how the "Northerners" should be able to vote in their future continental leadership. I jest, but I can't imagine that there's not some aside regarding current European political machinations about direction and leadership that are relevant to the writers. Granted, they botched those analogies and lead in to that too, but I think that may have been a nod to current realpolitik.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 115
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:10:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well, Game of Thrones is about power, power has to be taken, not ask it. So all the whim of why they're going to hit their competitors are secondary.
warspite1

Well I don't think that is the strength of GoT - which has been more about superb character development, political intrigue, Beeewwwbs, clever plots, and sub-plots, betrayal, madness, intrigue, SSEEEAAANNN BBBEEAANN!!, more beeewwwbs, torture, and of course military action as and when required. The 'whim' i.e. the motivations, of why these characters are fighting, plotting etc is absolutely primary - as it should be.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 116
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:13:25 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well I don't think that is the strength of GoT - which has been more about superb character development, political intrigue, Beeewwwbs, clever plots, and sub-plots, betrayal, madness, intrigue, SSEEEAAANNN BBBEEAANN!!, more beeewwwbs, torture, and of course military action as and when required. The 'whim' i.e. the motivations, of why these characters are fighting, plotting etc is absolutely primary - as it should be.

Series 8 definitely needed more gratuitous beeewwwbs. That's the whole problem right there.
Perhaps a post battle orgy at Winterfell?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 117
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:20:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Series 8 definitely needed more gratuitous beeewwwbs. That's the whole problem right there.
Perhaps a post battle orgy at Winterfell?

Mrs. Chickenboy and I have long vowed to keep any conspicuous watching of this series from the wee ones in the household. My son does have a long-standing affection for dragons, so we allowed him to watch an edited version of Drogon's aerial flambe' of King's Landing. It was pretty well done and clearly CGI (no King's Landing commoners were killed by dragonfire in this episode) in its portrayal.

But there was nothing in the final episode that was even remotely gratuitous or graphic-neither sex nor violence. Daenrys got shivved, as expected, but it was uncomfortably aseptic. A small pencil-thin rivulet of blood from her mouth and nose? C'mon. I've seen worse in black and white movies 80 years old.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 118
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:24:45 PM   
Zorch

Drogon now working in a French restaurant doing flambe on demand.

Edit: that didn't work out. It seems Drogon lacked certain client relationship skills...he is now working in a firefighter training institute.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 119
RE: Game of Thrones - 5/21/2019 5:26:50 PM   
rico21

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well, we have the forums for that!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Game of Thrones Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI