Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HQ Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> HQ Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HQ Questions - 5/18/2019 6:48:39 PM   
David Hansen

Can HQ's receive elite replacements if their level of experience is so reached?

I have a HQ unit with 3 white dots on the face of the counter. Yet the option to use elite replacements is not available...the supply condition for that unit is 10 and there are no enemy units next to the HQ. Am I missing something?

The manual says that HQs can boost combat bonuses under their command...but it doesn't state how much the boost is. If a HQ is at level 7...how much level 7 combat boost is actually provided?

Post #: 1
RE: HQ Questions - 5/21/2019 1:53:06 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi David,

Unfortunately no, HQs cannot receive elite replacements as the primary unit in an HQ is the leader itself. But a leader in the HQ can gain experience etc.

For HQs and how they can help during combat, I would refer to section 7.29.4. of the Manual and the subsection labelled The Importance of HQs for more information.

Hope this helps!
Hubert

(in reply to David Hansen)
Post #: 2
RE: HQ Questions - 5/21/2019 3:39:33 PM   
David Hansen

Hubert-txs for your reply.

As a new player I am trying to understand how a HQ unit "helps" its units under their command.

5.8-Hq gain experience...and raising their effectiveness (?) as commanders.

5.12-Hq...also provide combat bonuses (?) to units under their command.

7.3-Hq...are vital in improving the Morale and Readiness and therefore combat efficiencies of your units.

So...my limited understanding from the above...implies Hq improve unit Morale and Readiness...the question is how much?

For instance...a Hq with a rating of 6...what is the actual effect...say 5% added to both for the unit...a rating of 7...10% boost?

If a Hq's experience goes up...say a Hq rating of 6...does that now go up to a 10% boost?

You get the drift of my question. I'm thinking about purchasing the Manstein Hq with a rating of 9...it's expensive so I trying to decide if it is worth the MPP's...I just can't quantify the effects/impacts vs. the cost.

Would appreciate any insights you could provide.

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 3
RE: HQ Questions - 5/21/2019 3:49:46 PM   
amandkm

While I'd be interested as well to the answers here, I can share that among players who post their AAR's here, The Manstein purchase is pretty much a given. So, anecdotally, it is worth it, though I cannot give any sort of quantitative analysis.

(in reply to David Hansen)
Post #: 4
RE: HQ Questions - 5/21/2019 6:04:51 PM   
Hubert Cater

Hi David,

Essentially it comes down to the formulas for combat resolution. The biggest factors are Readiness and Morale and how they affect the formulas, and those formulas can vary dependent on HQs being attached, their strength values, their experience, their ratings etc., so the honest answer is it all just depends on what those values would be in game.

Your best bet is to read the following sections and then plug in some numbers to see how they effect combat first hand, with or without HQs, and with HQs of higher or lower ratings:

Morale and Readiness (pages 165-66)
Unit Readiness and Its Effect on Combat (page 168)
Combat Losses (pages 171-72)

For the type value in the combat forumulas, this is the attack or defense value a unit will have for combat, i.e. a Tank attacking a Corps, the Tank would have the Soft Attack value applied, while the Corps would have the Tank Defense value applied. These can be seen in the Editor when you open up the desired campaign, under Campaign->Edit Country Data->Edit Combat Target Data, OR in game under a right click of a unit 'Properties'.

If you still have outstanding concerns, please let us know,
Hubert

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 5
RE: HQ Questions - 5/21/2019 6:10:48 PM   
Xenocide

HQ Benefits

Here is my fast and loose understanding of the benefits of HQs.

Supply - One huge benefit is a supply boost. An HQ generates supply for other units. The HQ gets the supply the hex would get but generates that supply level + 5 (I believe it maxes out at 12 or something though). This makes HQs critical in areas where supply is limited like Africa or in captured enemy territory where supply is limited. HQs work best when they are on a hex giving decent supply but as close as possible to the units they are supplying.

Combat Bonus This is more limited. An HQ can support a number of units within range. Command and Control tech increases the range and number commanded and also gives HQs movement bonuses. This support gives units a boost on both attack and defense. This bonus is based on the commander rating and experience. Note that each level of Command and Control tech also increases the rating of all your HQs by 1 point. You can see which units it is supporting by selecting the HQ. These are automatically assigned but can be manually changed. The HQ gets experience from the units it is supporting fighting.

Note that all units get the supply help even if they are not being supported. HQs are critical on offense due to the supply bonus. They are less important on defense because your supply is likely high enough (unless you are fighting in somewhere like North Africa where supply maxes out at 5). On defense they are still worth having for the combat support bonus.

I do not believe HQs directly increase morale and readiness but the increased supply they give indirectly helps with those scores.

I am not 100% on all of this so all of this is subject to correction.

< Message edited by Xenocide -- 5/21/2019 6:11:14 PM >

(in reply to amandkm)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> HQ Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI