Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Arty a little bit weak?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty a little bit weak? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Arty a little bit weak? - 5/15/2000 6:31:00 AM   
Fred

Is it only me, or is the artillery not this efficient? Even barrage after barrage of 155mm shells rarely have any significant effect, not even on soft targets. Maybe the values for artillery should be tweaked to give them a little more punch? At this scale, if 4-6 155mm rounds hit the same hex in the same turn, a little bit more supression and damage would be nice Fred

"I got signals, I got readings in front and behind" - PFC Hudson, LV-426 mission
Post #: 1
- 5/15/2000 7:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I think so too. Artillery was the primary killer in WW2. It depends on the country. Some artillery is ineffective due to the crew firing the gun. If you are designing, if you increase their experience level by 20, it should make a big difference. WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 2
- 5/15/2000 7:46:00 AM   
Mark_Ezra

I like the values for the 60 and 81 mm Mortars. These primary infantry killers seem to be right in Japan v USMC, Brits v Germ and US v Italy. Larger calibar could be tougher.

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 3
- 5/15/2000 9:04:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We will continue to look at these things, one thing to check is whether your spotter has an LOS to the target hex. If the experience fo the target troops is high they are able to "hit the deck" before the rounds land, greatly reducing the lethality. The Artillery system has been changed in several subtle ways, something may have gone awry, but it is intended to be somewhat variable! Keep playing! Let us know!

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 4
- 5/15/2000 9:26:00 AM   
kkrull

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: We will continue to look at these things, one thing to check is whether your spotter has an LOS to the target hex. If the experience fo the target troops is high they are able to "hit the deck" before the rounds land, greatly reducing the lethality. The Artillery system has been changed in several subtle ways, something may have gone awry, but it is intended to be somewhat variable! Keep playing! Let us know!
It also seems like artillery is less effective against infantry who are set to 'Defend' as opposed to 'Advance'. No methodical testing, but it sure seemed that way in my last battle.... The artillery seemed effective enough against my advancing infantry.

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 5
- 5/15/2000 10:11:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Only Micheal Wood knows some of the inner workings:-) Actually I think it is being stationary (especially dug-in) that greatly reduces casualties. I have read in numerous sources that getting below ground level, whether by digging, or just finding a depression, makes even heavy artillery MUCH less effective. One document I have says that the diference between standing and being prone is 7-11 times! That is why rockets tend to be more effective as they tend to land very quickly, and why modern artillery trys so hard to get simultaneous time on target barrages! Our intent is to reflect this, in testing it seemed that we had...we will continue to listen though and see what you folks think!

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 6
- 5/15/2000 10:44:00 AM   
Jon Grasham

Being down makes all the difference. Just think. The shell impacts, and sends fragments, outwards, at great speed. These are what does the killing, the concussion may get the guy right next to the explosion, but at a little ways out, a guy may only get knocked down, or not even that. The shrapnel, however, will be like buckshot through paper. However, if you are on the ground, only shrapnel that will hit at any speed, again, is if you are right next to the impact, otherwise, it could only hit you from falling, meaning it's velocity is now very low, and thus, not very lethal. (a large chunk could still kill someone not wearing their helmut, etc, but small chunks, etc, would be like hot rocks falling in your foxhole.) Now, if the shell drops right into the foxhole..... GRRR. It turned my nice stick figure diagram/picture into gibberish! :-( [This message has been edited by Jon Grasham (edited 05-14-2000).] [This message has been edited by Jon Grasham (edited 05-14-2000).]

?

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 7
- 5/15/2000 2:20:00 PM   
Recon_slith

I was blasting away in the Corregidor scenario and hits with even 12" and 14" shells often produced no casualties. The thing with artillery strikes is that the supression they cause can easily put paid to your little plans by making your infantry run like hell (unless you are Japanese, in which case you rout ect. but still don't leave the hex). A solid barrage followed up by an immediate assault will find any still present defenders greatly cowed or an attack in tatters. This makes artillery the support arm it is- upping its kill capacity may cause it to be too effective by making it the answer to almost every situation. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to Fred)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Arty a little bit weak? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI