Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/24/2019 8:44:23 AM   
ian77

Britain is made up of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and England.... the blue in the Union Jack comes from the Scottish Saltire, the red crosses from N Ireland and England, and the white from all three flags.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 211
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/24/2019 1:06:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ian77

Britain is made up of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and England.... the blue in the Union Jack comes from the Scottish Saltire, the red crosses from N Ireland and England, and the white from all three flags.

Isn't Scotland talking about leaving the British Union completely because of Brexit, to keep a trading position with the EU? And the whole Ireland/Ulster border issue vis-à-vis Brexit could break that British connection too?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ian77)
Post #: 212
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/24/2019 2:13:33 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

Isn't Scotland talking about leaving the British Union completely because of Brexit, to keep a trading position with the EU? And the whole Ireland/Ulster border issue vis-à-vis Brexit could break that British connection too?

Yes. There is a bit of a mess here. As in the US too much party politics and not enough compromise.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 213
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/24/2019 5:05:14 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

quote:

Yes. There is a bit of a mess here. As in the US too much party politics and not enough compromise.

While I recognize that we are getting too close to the "no-politics" line , I can't help but ask (and thereby showing my ignorance) How much politics can be involved in a yes/no question? I'm assuming the deal making involves the question of How much can each side grab? It strikes me that this is more akin to a messy divorce than a real negotiation. Don't you folks have "no-fault divorce"?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 214
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/24/2019 7:18:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

While I recognize that we are getting too close to the "no-politics" line , I can't help but ask (and thereby showing my ignorance) How much politics can be involved in a yes/no question? I'm assuming the deal making involves the question of How much can each side grab? It strikes me that this is more akin to a messy divorce than a real negotiation. Don't you folks have "no-fault divorce"?

It's a safe bet that neither the politicians nor the people knew all the ramifications of voting to exit the EU. The Irish border issue is one that seems to have much greater significance than they considered before the vote. The terms of Brexit should have been negotiated with the EU before being presented to the people of Britain and voted on. I just hope the radicals in the spectrum don't decide this is a good time to further their agenda by violence. OTOH, there may just be more Scots Whiskey available at lower prices in North America if Europe restricts imports!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 215
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/26/2019 4:40:09 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a safe bet that neither the politicians nor the people knew all the ramifications of voting to exit the EU. The Irish border issue is one that seems to have much greater significance than they considered before the vote. The terms of Brexit should have been negotiated with the EU before being presented to the people of Britain and voted on. I just hope the radicals in the spectrum don't decide this is a good time to further their agenda by violence. OTOH, there may just be more Scots Whiskey available at lower prices in North America if Europe restricts imports!

We'll have to agree to disagree on your opinion. I think the people knew exactly what the ramifications were. I think the politicians saw their opportunities for graft and power going out the window. The problem with elected "leaders" is that they are not. They are elected "representatives". When they start thinking that they have "divine rights" you need to send them packing , and elect some new ones. Or you could adopt a American colonial era tradition and start gathering tar and feathers.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 216
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/26/2019 7:40:13 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree on your opinion. I think the people knew exactly what the ramifications were. I think the politicians saw their opportunities for graft and power going out the window. The problem with elected "leaders" is that they are not. They are elected "representatives". When they start thinking that they have "divine rights" you need to send them packing , and elect some new ones. Or you could adopt a American colonial era tradition and start gathering tar and feathers.

Point taken on the "entitlement" that too many people at all levels feel about their personal situation. Everyone is important and no one is essential. We must strive to be useful every day.

But I think we are not fair to our politicians. We reward them for showmanship (getting their name/image/advertising out there) but don't pay attention to the low key ones who are trying to serve the people by doing things. Since there is no action that will please all people and we complain loudly when we don't get our way, we punish the doers and reward the do-nothings who talk a lot while saying nothing.

Working with people who have different political philosophy is hard, but consensus and compromise can happen if the group focus on the job, not on getting noticed. We need to reward the doers better. That requires work on our part to know what is going on in detail, not just from talking points. There are people out there who want to serve the people if the system stops eating its young!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 217
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/27/2019 9:22:21 AM   
candiceflynn666

Can you americans help me understand the difference between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey?

Wikipedia says its because of some filter.

Tennessee whiskey - Wikipedia

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 218
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/29/2019 7:52:23 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I think the people knew exactly what the ramifications were.

Not so sure about that, the day after the vote the most common question on Google in the UK was, 'What's Brexit'?

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to candiceflynn666)
Post #: 219
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/29/2019 11:07:37 PM   
US87891

quote:

ORIGINAL: candiceflynn666
Can you americans help me understand the difference between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey?

There ain't none to speak of. "Tennessee Whiskey" is an appellation label. In order to be called "Tennessee Whiskey", it must be a straight bourbon whiskey produced within the bounds of the State of Tennessee, and follow the quality and production standards set by Tennessee Law. Basically, it's righteousness in materials and use of a charcoal filtration step. That's it. It's basically the result of a quality standard imposed on bourbons, by the State of Tennessee.

Post #: 220
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/30/2019 1:49:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

quote:

There ain't none to speak of. "Tennessee Whiskey" is an appellation label. In order to be called "Tennessee Whiskey", it must be a straight bourbon whiskey produced within the bounds of the State of Tennessee, and follow the quality and production standards set by Tennessee Law. Basically, it's righteousness in materials and use of a charcoal filtration step. That's it. It's basically the result of a quality standard imposed on bourbons, by the State of Tennessee.

It used to be a near certainty that bourbon was distilled / aged in Bourbon county, Kentucky. Over the years, that label has been applied to other locales, to the sometimes shagrin of those in Bourbon county, that envisioned a mortal lock on the namesake of the whiskey. "Jack Daniels", a popular mid-range whiskey tastes a lot like bourbon, but is a 'Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey'. It's all about the provenance. But a rose with any other name would smell the same, no?

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 221
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/30/2019 3:53:01 AM   
jdsrae

I’ve always felt the same after a night out with either Jack Daniel or Jim Beam

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 222
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/30/2019 10:54:15 AM   
Trugrit

The best are the Bottled-In-Bond Whiskeys.

I like Rye and consider Bourbon to be a woman’s drink. I like Templeton Rye as my standard.

It turns out the best whiskey in the world is a Bourbon and costs $30.00 a bottle:
https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-and-drink/7-favorite-bottled-bond-whiskies

I recently tasted from a bottle of Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon my wife bought.Great stuff. Incredibly smooth.
You should give it a try.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 223
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/30/2019 5:48:31 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Yeah, I don't hang out with those two anymore. Too many bad experiences.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 224
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 5/30/2019 5:54:22 PM   
rustysi

quote:

It turns out the best whiskey in the world is a Bourbon and costs $30.00 a bottle:

If I can find it in my neck of the woods, I'll give it a try. Don't know about the best in the world, but it should be pretty good anyway.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 225
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 6/1/2019 7:05:02 PM   
BBfanboy

By coincidence, Bing.com had this entry for "this date in history" for the year 1495:

A batch of whisky is made for Scotland's King James IV

In the earliest known written mention of the spirit, Brother John Cor, a monk at a Scottish abbey, notes in his exchequer rolls that "aqua vitae VIII bolls of malt" are to be made by order of the King. Lindores Abbey will later be considered the birthplace of Scotch whisky.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 226
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 1:35:20 PM   
btd64

One Jim Beam Bourbon warehouse is on fire. What a shame. I'm shedding tears....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 227
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 3:38:51 PM   
Trugrit

Yep,

Looks like 45,000 barrels lost.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-03/fire-at-jim-beam-bourbon-warehouse-threatens-40k-barrels-report-jxn9fkfk

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 228
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 7:55:56 PM   
Trugrit

I've never heard of American single malt whiskey
https://www.insidehook.com/article/booze/american-single-malt-whiskey

But then I'm old and past my sell by date.

I'd like to try it but at $80 to $90 a bottle this is a little steep for me.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 229
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 8:48:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Tennessee whiskey - Wikipedia

When someone asks you "Is Jack Daniels Bourbon"? the correct answer is "Yes and no." Bourbon must be at least 51% corn, must be made in the USA , and must be aged in a new , charred oak barrel. Jack Daniels does that. But it also filters in a particular manner. When Daniels originally requested that his product be considered "Bourbon" he was declined. He then got the Tennessee legislature to declare that all Tennessee whiskeys must follow his process to be labeled as "Tennessee Whiskey" , some say as a rebuke to Kentucky for refusing him.

Post #: 230
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 8:51:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

The best are the Bottled-In-Bond Whiskeys.

I like Rye and consider Bourbon to be a woman’s drink. I like Templeton Rye as my standard.

https://www.insidehook.com/article/food-and-drink/7-favorite-bottled-bond-whiskies

I recently tasted from a bottle of Old Grand Dad Bonded Bourbon my wife bought.Great stuff. Incredibly smooth.
You should give it a try.

I have both. But then again , my bourbon collection is just short of 100 (and my Scotch only about half od that). "The best Whiskey/whisky is the one you drink , and the best way to drink it is the way you drink it". All whiskey/whisky have one thing in common. The worst of them is better than no whisk(e)y.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 231
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 8:53:06 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

I've never gone out with either. But I've drunk a little of both.

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 232
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 8:57:22 PM   
geofflambert

Hope you don't like Jim Beam.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 233
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 9:01:01 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Hope you don't like Jim Beam.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/03/us/jim-beam-warehouse-fire-kentucky-trnd/index.html

Jim beam has a whole bunch of distilleries. Strategically scattered. They'll do fine. But it IS an excellent excuse to raise the MSRP.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 234
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 10:42:24 PM   
geofflambert

Maybe Jack Daniels hit them with some Tennessee White Lightning.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 235
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 11:13:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

I've never heard of American single malt whiskey
https://www.insidehook.com/article/booze/american-single-malt-whiskey

But then I'm old and past my sell by date.

Yeah, you don't want to spend that much for an everyday shot or two, but at least once every 10 years you should splurge on a really good bottle (of whatever) to enjoy on special occasions (like when a WITP-AE player happens to pass by your area and stops in to say Hi!)

PS - Canoerebel - please advise the best sasparillas to try out!

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 7/3/2019 11:17:43 PM >

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 236
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 11:15:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I should look into this, my import is up to $135 a fifth. Which does curtail my intake, so maybe not?

Post #: 237
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/3/2019 11:15:25 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I was thinking maybe someone was trying to create a shortage that Scotch Whiskey could fill. Has anyone heard from Warspite1 lately?

Post #: 238
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/4/2019 12:28:46 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

I've had Tennessee "white lightning". Forced on me by the farmer whose still we stumbled on while hiking. And he was casually holding a shot gun. I decided (and the three guts I was with) that alcohol poisoning was less of a risk than "lead poisoning" .

Since then I've had "white dog" from at least 5 different modern distilleries. And I can testify that they are definitely NOT the same thing.

Post #: 239
RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? - 7/12/2019 2:20:32 PM   
jdsrae

Samples of Balvenie and Lagavulin this evening.
Saturday morning already...

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT: Whisky/Whiskey Drinkers - what are your favorites? Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI