Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 5:08:24 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

FWIW in my one Allied campaign, vs. the AI, I found that Kukong was untenable because supply simply would not flow there despite the rail line. So I withdrew my forces to a position in the rough terrain 2-3 hexes up the rail line and held there until a time much later, when I could maintain a broad offensive in the China theater.

The supply distribution algorithm prioritizes units in the field ahead of units at a base, so if supply is insufficient to get some everywhere, the units in a base will starve. Many players simply rotate units between the base and an adjoining hex to keep units from starving. But if you don't want to waste supply by having to counter-bombard the enemy, leaving units there out-of-supply is a valid decision.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 691
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 6:00:53 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

AGs and all other support ships unload at a much slower rate than xAKs.

The xAKs aren't unloading either.

I think it's an anomaly in the coding of certain bases or their ports. But I'm not sure. I'm not even sure it's the same bases in each game. It's just every once in awhile I come across a situation where ships carrying supply do not unload as expected at a port.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 692
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 6:44:39 PM   
Korvar

I do not recall ever observing supplies not being unloaded where they "should" - although I could just be missing it entirely. Of course, they do not always unload as quickly as I would like.

One thing to pay close attention to, as I'm sure you know, is damage to the port. This factors in mostly with unloading certain devices where the undamaged percentage, based on the size of the port, has to rise to a certain amount (probably to be equivalent to at least a size one or two port) where the game considers there to be sufficient dock capacity to handle the offload. I can't say that I've seen the equivalent with straight supplies though...

I have seen stubbornness with supply offload at atolls and that is usually solved by reforming the supply TF as amphibious. It can still be slow as snails if only xAKs are involved, but it's usually enough to at least get a trickle of supply offloading.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 693
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 6:49:49 PM   
Canoerebel

Sometimes its atolls, sometimes it's not. None of the ports are damaged.

It's only occasional, but I've played so many turns in the past few years that I've begun to notice - it happens every now and then.

It's not important. I just take it as part of the game. And, to this point, it's never factored in a meaningful way. But it does happen and I do think it's something within the game itself.

(This question will end up taking on a life of its own, with folks wanting to figure it out. I raise it in case other players a happen to notice it too, which would be interesting.)

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 694
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 6:54:15 PM   
Korvar

Yes, that's why I put so many caveats in my statements - I realize my sample size is but a fraction of many on this forum. I'll certainly keep an eye out for it now, and it will be interesting if anyone else chimes in with similar accounts.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 695
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/22/2019 10:59:59 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Sometimes its atolls, sometimes it's not. None of the ports are damaged.

It's only occasional, but I've played so many turns in the past few years that I've begun to notice - it happens every now and then.

It's not important. I just take it as part of the game. And, to this point, it's never factored in a meaningful way. But it does happen and I do think it's something within the game itself.

(This question will end up taking on a life of its own, with folks wanting to figure it out. I raise it in case other players a happen to notice it too, which would be interesting.)

Good lord! Cap Mandrake's M&M Enterprises has infected this AAR too and is keeping the local labour on strike until contract rates double!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 696
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 1:23:54 PM   
Canoerebel

4/14/43 to 4/19/43

Cocos Island: An enemy sub put a TT into one of four fast-transport AMC's bringing in an RN base force. Nevertheless, the damaged ship made port. 28 nav support points are ashore; the rest should unload tonight. If Dave is coming for this base - if the SigInt that 6th Guards Div. is prepping is true - the nav support could be key to the defenses. At the end of the hotly-contested invasion, the Allies had 6k supply to support 500 AV. Supply is currently at 20.5k and could reach 25k in a couple of days. If he comes, he'll probably bring carriers (I hope), giving me info that may be useful in other theaters.

Marshalls: Recon indicates Dave is withdrawing his troops. Roi Namur appears vacant. The other islands have 1k men or less with few guns or vehicles. If true, he's withdrawing to a safer MLR he deems more secure. It may be a mistake to cede this much territory without making me fight for it. Allied troops and ships are gathering to move on the bases in the not-too-distant future, once I've confirmed the garrisons and once I have a feel for the whereabouts of his carriers.

China: Dave hasn't take Kukong yet, but only because he hasn't ordered an attack. The Chinese defenses in the woods-rough hex to the rear are now in place. I hope it's enough. I hope I haven't drawn dawn improvidently to augment here, weakening another place that ends up in his crosshairs. Always things to worry about.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/23/2019 1:27:29 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 697
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 2:12:42 PM   
Canoerebel

4/20/43

Vanished Naval Support: Hey, Cocos reports no naval support. Is this yet another game wonkiness? If so, this one might have hurt.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 698
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 2:25:53 PM   
BBfanboy

There was extensive discussion of NS recently in the War Room or main forum. There is a bug that does not let NS do its job if the port SPS is (0). It isn't just a display issue, the NS simply doesn't help with anything. This is based on testing by members.

EDIT: Here is the thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4621522

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 5/23/2019 2:27:49 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 699
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 2:27:09 PM   
Lovejoy

I think this has happened either in another AAR, or someone posted a question to the main forum.

Edit: here's the thread http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4621522

< Message edited by Lovejoy -- 5/23/2019 2:36:29 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 700
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 2:42:36 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, shoot, I missed out on that thread and conversation when it happened live. Thanks for linking to it, gents.

So the RN naval support brought to Cocos at risk, at price, and for a purpose is utterly useless.

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 701
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 6:42:41 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Well, shoot, I missed out on that thread and conversation when it happened live. Thanks for linking to it, gents.

So the RN naval support brought to Cocos at risk, at price, and for a purpose is utterly useless.

Sadly, yes. A bug (the only one of note that I'm aware of) with the most recent Beta patch that is needed for underway replenishment of ammo to work for the Allies in '45. A trade off, I guess.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 702
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 6:57:53 PM   
Mark VII

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

Sadly, yes. A bug (the only one of note that I'm aware of) with the most recent Beta patch that is needed for underway replenishment of ammo to work for the Allies in '45. A trade off, I guess.

A question...do we know that the naval support is really not working or even though it is not being listed on the Cocos Is information screen, it is working? Maybe the bug is that NS doesn't get listed on those kind of bases but still functions. Just a thought?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 703
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/23/2019 7:02:29 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark VII

quote:

ORIGINAL: USSAmerica

quote:

A question...do we know that the naval support is really not working or even though it is not being listed on the Cocos Is information screen, it is working? Maybe the bug is that NS doesn't get listed on those kind of bases but still functions. Just a thought?

The linked thread has good testing results that show the NS does not get used or displayed if the base has an SPS size of (0).

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mark VII)
Post #: 704
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 8:29:34 AM   
CaptBeefheart

A long time ago I read that if a port is under Level 4, then whatever goes there should be in an Amphib TF. If I remember correctly, an AG or similar can't be used in an Amphib TF. I've tried and given up on unloading cargo/transport TFs at Level 1 ports. So, long story short, what you are seeing might be normal. Of course, having the naval support not work adds insult to injury.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 705
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 12:21:21 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

A long time ago I read that if a port is under Level 4, then whatever goes there should be in an Amphib TF. If I remember correctly, an AG or similar can't be used in an Amphib TF. I've tried and given up on unloading cargo/transport TFs at Level 1 ports. So, long story short, what you are seeing might be normal. Of course, having the naval support not work adds insult to injury.

Cheers,
CB

Unloading at a level 1 port is slow, but if a Transport TF ship can dock it should be able to offload 200 tons per day. I use the small 1000-1750 capacity xAKLs for level 1 ports. For unit transfers, some of the Dutch and British 1750 ton xAKLs covert to xAPs at 500/750 capacity - very handy for size 1 ports.

I will have to look up the unload rates again, but it seems to me that docking at a level 2 (rather than level 4) port is slightly better than offloading amphibiously over the beach. EDIT: Capt. Beefheart is correct, Level 4 Port and less restrict xAK unloading to 125 troop points and 125 cargo points. I thought it was multiplied by port size. See the manual section two posts down.

Of course if there is a port, any cargo, transport or amphib TF ship that cannot dock can manage to unload something up to port total unload capacity and individual ship unload capacity. Here is a port capacity table from the manual:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 5/24/2019 12:51:31 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 706
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 12:43:22 PM   
BBfanboy

Here's the chart that shows Port unload rates:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 707
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 12:44:48 PM   
BBfanboy

And here is the manual section on Amphib unload rates (the last paragraph is rather enigmatic):

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 5/24/2019 12:53:35 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 708
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 1:08:04 PM   
Korvar

It mirrors what's available in the manual, but here's the port chart that I use:

Edit: to add my notes -

Airfield size 4:
MINIMUM size to operate aircraft w/o penalties
(see small airfield chart for details)

Port Size 7:
Can rearm large ships,
also can repair up to 5 points of major damage

Unlimited supply/fuel storage @ combined port & airfield size of 9+

Ports/Airbases can be expanded +3 beyond their SPS ("natural") size
Bases w/ SPS of "0" are very difficult to expand.

< Message edited by Korvar -- 5/24/2019 1:10:17 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 709
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 6:50:40 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, gents, for the plentiful helpful information.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 710
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/24/2019 7:15:57 PM   
Canoerebel

4/21/43 to 4/27/43

Reading the Opponent: When we began this match, I had no information about, or prior experience with, Dave. He's been a longtime member of the WitP peanut gallery and well-respected by everybody. I had no idea if he was aggressive or conservative, brilliant or average, etc. The assumption is to, well, assume the worst - that the player is extraordinary and aggressive and that terrible things will happen early. His tenacious hunting of Lex, including multiple highspeed runs by KB, seemingly reinforced that image. We've now played 1.5 years of game, so I'm getting a better feel for him now. I've posted some of this previously. Overall, he seems to be tactically super aggressive with carriers and combat vessels (when he chooses to commit them) but strategically conservative. I think he is more comfortable with defense and prefers to have tight, interlocking lines of resistance that aren't susceptible to easy coup-de-main conquest by the enemy. Dave could be painting an elaborate picture of disinformation, but I think I have a pretty good feel for him now. He's digging in further back than many players would, he's preserving his ships, and he's no doubt building his air force into a gnarly beast. I think he's indeed similar to Miller in how he likes to fight.

Cocos Island: The sharp fighting here apparently persuaded Dave to pull back until he can return with overpowering force (as per SigInt, as I've mentioned previously). In the interim, the Allies have built supply to 30k and forts to 4.8. Allied AV is about 525. This is a great listening post base and also poses a perpetual threat of invasion all along the big islands, so I do think Dave will come back (I would). The Allies can fight here, but my carriers will be in the yards for about two months. In the interim, I may have to sortie Wasp, Hornet, and about four or five RN CVs.

Marshalls/Gilberts: I have enough info to posit a theory that Dave has elected to withdraw from these advance islands. Here, again, the costly fighting around Tarawa seemed to chasten him. It looks like Enitwetok and Roi are vacant, with others lightly held. I think he's working to build Ponape and no doubt Truk is a beast. I have enough info now that I'm working on a few snap invasions/occupations. If Dave reacts very harshly, I'll figure this was a bushwhack. If he doesn't, then he's indeed focused on interior defenses.

China: MLR still intact. Dave'll take Kukong very soon now. I'm worried about the stack he just pulled away from Sian front. I think he's assembling in force somewhere, and there's a good chance he can punch a major breach into my MLR. I'm reshuffling units, half afraid that areas that are quiet, so that I'm pulling from them, will be the very places he chooses to attack.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 711
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/25/2019 7:53:24 PM   
Canoerebel

4/28/43 to 5/2/43

Avoiding a Needless Effusion of Blood: Two Chinese corps, through design and luck, escaped destruction at Kukong. I think Dave will focus on the Changsha-Kukong segment of the Chinese MLR, but he might have enough troops for multiple prongs.

Marshalls: The Allies landed at unoccupied Roi (!), taking the level four airfield, dropping mines, and installing a PBY squadron to keep an eye on things. Eniwetok looks vacant, with an Allied force inbound. Wotje has a small force (organic CD, I think), with a decent force inbound (including combat engineers). Mili has a small force. A Marine RCT 100% prepped was inbound and expected to arrive on the 3rd. I double-checked on the 1st and all looked good, but somehow the 12-knot xAKs "leaped forward" with uncharacteristic dash and aplomb, managing a late evening landing on the 2nd. No supply came ashore, the Marines got 19:10 odds...destroyed 27 enemy combat squads...took no losses in doing so...but then the assault "collapsed" and the Allied force evaporated! I lost 240 men. The remaining troops are sufficient to take the base but I'm worried about the supply load-out. So I'm going to postpone additional landings for four or five days to give additional supply shipping time to latch on to the invasion. This force is covered by about five CVEs. It'll retire to Tarawa temporarily.

Conceding Space without a Fight?:So far, this hubbub (the taking of Roi, mainly) hasn't stirred Dave to renewed exertions. With the botched landing at Mili and the inbound forces to Eniwetok and Wotje, let's see what happens. My working hypothesis is that he caught on late to the Allied development in the Aleutians, got a case of the willies about NoPac (and my history there) and, because he prefers good defense, has pulled back a bit. SigInt and base-building info continue to indicate a focus on the Marianas, NoPac and Rangoon. Pretty soon, my recon will take a first look at Wake Island.

Cocos: Forts to 5, supply to 32.5k and AV at 575. If Dave comes, this base can't hold on its own forever, but it can hold for a long time. At Capetown, Ent will complete repairs in a week, Sara in less than a month. At Colombo, Wasp is 10 days from finishing an upgrade. Hornet is available, as are four RN CVs and CVL Hermes.

When Opportunity Knocks: Dave may/will/should eventually counterattack in force somewhere (most likely Cocos). I've spent many months (most of the game) distributing troops from India to Oz to SoPac to Hawaii to NoPac, and the shipping to support them, for when the next opportunity arises. New Allied CVs begin coming in a month or two, which will help.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/25/2019 7:56:41 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 712
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/25/2019 9:17:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

4/28/43 to 5/2/43

Marshalls: The Allies landed at unoccupied Roi (!), taking the level four airfield, dropping mines, and installing a PBY squadron to keep an eye on things. Eniwetok looks vacant, with an Allied force inbound. Wotje has a small force (organic CD, I think), with a decent force inbound (including combat engineers). Mili has a small force. A Marine RCT 100% prepped was inbound and expected to arrive on the 3rd. I double-checked on the 1st and all looked good, but somehow the 12-knot xAKs "leaped forward" with uncharacteristic dash and aplomb, managing a late evening landing on the 2nd. No supply came ashore, the Marines got 19:10 odds...destroyed 27 enemy combat squads...took no losses in doing so...but then the assault "collapsed" and the Allied force evaporated! I lost 240 men. The remaining troops are sufficient to take the base but I'm worried about the supply load-out. So I'm going to postpone additional landings for four or five days to give additional supply shipping time to latch on to the invasion. This force is covered by about five CVEs. It'll retire to Tarawa temporarily.

I have seen many combat reports for units going into an enemy base and their assault "collapsing". Most of the time the Ops Report will have two successive lines saying "(Unit) disperses". When that happens the troops seem to be gone for good.

But occasionally I get your situation where a small portion of the unit landed and fought, then the troops dispersed, but the message was in the Ops report only once. On the next turn when more troops of the same unit landed the dispersed troops appeared to rejoin the unit, based on the numbers shown for a fully landed unit minus losses during off-load and combat losses.
So there is a chance your dispersed troops are hiding, waiting for the rest of the unit to land. If your small portion landed did all that damage to the enemy, I think landing a full day's worth of offload should finish the job? Do you have enough AV left in the TF to at least match what landed on the last turn?

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 5/25/2019 9:20:33 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 713
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/25/2019 10:09:21 PM   
Canoerebel

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip and info.

I'd already run the next turn before reading your post, so I can't put the knowledge to use quite yet, but to answer your question, the amphibious TF has plenty of ground troops aboard when the time comes to resume the landing.

The TF and support (carriers, etc.) pulled back to Tarawa, leaving a small ASW TF in place. It tangled with a sub, and nav search shows other TF icons there (presumably more subs but perhaps combat ships).

I'm hoping to keep Dave's attention on Mili, as best I can, while small TFs approach Eniwetok and Wotje over the next four days.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/25/2019 10:11:08 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 714
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/27/2019 12:51:03 PM   
Canoerebel

5/3/43 to 5/9/43

Marshalls: Dave indeed pulled out of the Marshalls, leaving little behind. So the Allies grabbed Eniwetok (if that base is built up, isn't Wake outflanked?).

Dave responded to the Allied activity (mostly small TFs involved but it probably looked like a lot to him) by sending KB running in from the NW. Allied patrols from Roi picked the enemy carriers up soon enough that all Allied shipping weighed anchor and made good their escape. On the flip side, Dave had no patrols in place (that's a mistake) and thus didn't pick up the Allied CVE TF moseying about near Mili.

Cocos: No enemy counterattack yet. Supply up to 33k, forts at 5, airfield at 3.

Bay of Bengal: Dave reinforced Rangoon, especially with AA, but has some weak points in his defenses further back. The Allies are prepped and will move when the carriers are all back online (or all but Ent, which needs another month). Sara finishes repairs tomorrow and will make for Ceylon, a journey that takes about two weeks, I think.

China: No major point of attack has developed along the Chinese MLR yet. Dave seems most interested in the Changsha region.

SigInt: The good info that trickles in continues to indicate he is concentrating on interior lines of defense, especially in the Marianas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 715
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/27/2019 7:39:37 PM   
Canoerebel

5/10/43 to 5/12/43

Marshalls: KB has pulled back, with CVL Ryuho taking some damage en route. The Allies are about to ramp up minor ops again. Objectives include lightly defended Mili and Wotje and vacat dot-hex Ailinglaplap. Also, supply and base forces to be inserted at Eniwetok.

Establishing the Jump-Off Positions: The Allies have alot of forward positions that will facilitate moves on key enemy terrain. Among the positions currently held: western Aleutians, Midway, the Marshalls (time needed to take more and then build them), Luganville, northern Oz, and Cocos Island. The final major position to be taken is Port Blair. Currently it's lightly defended. If and when that falls, I'll be able to strike fairly quickly at positions from Burma to Java to New Guinea to CenPac to the Kuriles. Not that these will all be targeted, but that Dave has to allow for it.

Allied long-term plans will undoubtedly develop in unexpected ways, but right now that plan is in place.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 716
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/29/2019 5:11:37 PM   
Canoerebel

5/13/43 to 5/17/43

SigInt: The rarest and most valued of SigInt gems. I'd act on this immediately if carrier repairs following the Cocos Island Battle were finished. Sara, though, is still about six days from Colombo. Nevertheless, this will help when the time comes to press the next buttons.

Marshalls: On the third try, the Allies take lightly-defended Mili. Eniwetok and Roi fell previously. An APD is inbound with troops to take Ailinglaplap (believed vacant). And troops prepped for Wotje are ready to go. Dave surrendered this terrain without much of a fight. Recon shows that Wake Island and Lunga are stoutly defended. Presumably they are part of his MLR; Allied moves there will trigger massive fighting. That's something worth knowing.

Cocos Island: No enemy moves except subs in surrounding waters. Supplies to 35k.

China: The tea leaves continue to indicate Dave's primary focus is on Changhsha and the flanks to either side. Or he could be elaborately misdirecting, though he doesn't appear to be the sort. He doesn't dance about. He fights when he feels like it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 717
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/29/2019 5:35:08 PM   
Anachro

I wish I could get such sigint in my games. Would be nice.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 718
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/30/2019 7:32:54 PM   
Canoerebel

Clean living is a prerequisite for receipt of gems of this type.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/30/2019 7:33:05 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 719
RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) - 5/30/2019 7:45:25 PM   
Canoerebel

5/18/43 to 5/23/43

SigInt & Intentions: All signals intel indicates that Dave is preparing his defenses in depth, like that below. The Marianas, Palaus, Bonins, Kuriles are getting most of the attention. The only forward theater he's reinforcing is Burma, and that's mainly AA and base forces to counter Allied 4EB and sweeping fighters. He probably won't leave any holes.

Ironically, I didn't begin the game seeking holes to go deep, contrary to my previous two matches. Going deep is fun but also has its drawbacks, so I began this match looking for a more methodical route of advance. So Dave is playing my history, I think, while I'm doing something different. Eventually noisy clashes will occur.

Long term, I think I'm going to advance through the DEI and Philippines. I've never done that before. If I spot some holes, I may deviate, but for now that's the working template.

China: Continued evidence that Dave plans to attack at Changsha or the base to the rear (Chengtu?). He's bringing up more troops, he's using his air force, he has lots of arty...and Chinese units withdraw from the Sian and Paoshan fronts are now nearing this sector. He has a chance in China, I think. I don't want to lose most of the country and its army this late!

Cocos: Enemy shipping just entered the IO through the Sunda Strait. I don't know what it is or where its bound yet. It might be just an ASW TF. Allied supply is 37k and forts at 5.40.

Oz: A force is fully prepped for Port Headland but won't move until I know that KB is far away or until I want to use it for diversionary purposes. On the other side of the island, lots of base building going on at Coen, Portland Roads, Cooktown, etc. SigInt recentl of reinforcements inbound to Port Moresby, which is sensible.

SoPac: As best I can tell, Dave simply pulled everything he could out, excepting subs. I think this was a mistake, especially not keeping a patrol squadron in place. The Allies have taken Ailinglaplap and are working on invasions of Ocean (vacant, I think) and Wotje (an organic CD force of about equal strength to Mili's). KB can insert itself quickly, which keeps me cautious. The Wake invasion force is also in place. To trigger that, KB would need to be far away. (I only have a small carrier force in the Pacific, as most of them are in the IO, where I expect the key campaigns of summer to take place.)

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 5/30/2019 7:52:14 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Intellectus Ex Nihilo (Wal-Mart on Ice) Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI