Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thinking'?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thinking'? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thinking'? - 6/15/2019 9:37:51 AM   
drleon

How do you spend the time pending computer moves (20 minutes or longer)?
What do you usually do while computer 'thinking', 'calculating supply', 'purchasing, 'planning'... ?

Ironically, but I wonder how you organize your time to endure this?
One must be really desperate to try to complete whole the game which takes days and nights just because most of the time (a least... 90%) one has to WAIT and do nothing because computer moves take a horribly long time.

Most frustrating and bizarre (insoluble technically? ) part of this game regardless how powerful computer you have.
How do you spend the time? Do you go for a walk? do shopping? read a book? watch TV?

< Message edited by drleon -- 6/15/2019 9:40:09 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/15/2019 10:35:49 AM   
otumfuo2

Crossword puzzles, cooking dinner, translating Horace's Satires, reading Susskind's "the Theoretical Minimum: Quantum Mechanics." And that's just this month.

(in reply to drleon)
Post #: 2
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/15/2019 11:09:42 AM   
countrboy

20 minutes? I'm sure it's no more than 5 or so?

(in reply to otumfuo2)
Post #: 3
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/15/2019 11:49:03 AM   
drleon

quote:

ORIGINAL: countrboy

20 minutes? I'm sure it's no more than 5 or so?

Yes.
Under the first 5-10 moves.
Then is only longer and longer.
Unless you play on a supercomputer Summit or OLCF-4 with 200 petaflops?

(in reply to countrboy)
Post #: 4
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/16/2019 4:49:28 AM   
Robert24

Good question!
I read or browse the Internet; but keep an eye on that AI.

(in reply to drleon)
Post #: 5
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/16/2019 8:30:14 AM   
aquavita

Something by Mozart.

The time between turns, and a game make take some time, this is perfect fore some good music on the stereo.

One might even listen to a hole composition through…

Master Sun sier: "Allment gjelder følgende metoder for å anvende styrker..."

(in reply to drleon)
Post #: 6
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/17/2019 2:45:17 PM   
Hubert Cater

In the later stages I did discover a significant optimization that could be made to improve AI speed once there are a lot of units on the map. This reduced the time to handle the worst case scenarios of this (processing time wise) by up to 75%, so expect some improvements for this in the next update. Which if all goes well should be available soon.

(in reply to aquavita)
Post #: 7
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/17/2019 3:14:07 PM   
danlongman

Seriously? I have a lot of things to do at any given time. When the machine
is thinking or otherwise doing it's thang - i think it watches me and makes
fun of the least sign of impatience - I have a number of side tasks waiting to be
worked on during the inevitable breaks. Reading, writing, catching up on email
and other correspondence, editing my daughter's drafts, research...anything
that can be broken into appropriate sized bites.
This is one of the things I love the most about computer gaming and I do not
waste the time it gives to me. I suppose I could just sit there and watch TV
except I do not have a TV but when I have no brains I can always look at the
alternate "entertainment" available on some of the "non-academy award seeking"
movie sites. There is some phenomenal acting - all kinds of acts - to be observed,
noted and perhaps applied to real life.
Cheers dudes and dudettes.

"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 8
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/24/2019 12:03:50 AM   
Mercutio

I am sure a lot of replies are in jest.

Actually I find the AI turn fine. Sometimes too fast actually as I want to see where they are and what they are doing to plan my next move. Of course, my computer is probably over the top for the game, but I find the AI turn no longer than 10 minutes counting the 2 supply re-calcs and popups.

(in reply to danlongman)
Post #: 9
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/27/2019 11:53:27 AM   
drleon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hubert Cater

...This reduced the time to handle the worst case scenarios of this (processing time wise) by up to 75%, so expect some improvements for this in the next update. Which if all goes well should be available soon.

I confirm. It got noticeable better. Thanks!
But don't rest on your laurels, continue to make it even better
I have 2 suggestions now:

1. to move several units simultaneously, to gather some and direct to destination / attack together.
To cross the ocean with several units at the same time it would be sufficient to mark which units we choose and then they travel together across the ocean to the very destination.

2. at purchasing new units to be offered directly fully upgraded
(if applicable!),
I mean, if one develops higher level of armor or other weapons it's no need to upgrade them at purchasing but the units are directly on max. development level.
I do so always at sufficient budget and it takes time.
They who don't like such en "improvement" can uncheck the option or downgrade units, but I don't think it's many that do it...
Anything that allows to save the time is worth to improve!

< Message edited by drleon -- 6/27/2019 12:31:10 PM >

(in reply to Hubert Cater)
Post #: 10
RE: How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thin... - 6/27/2019 1:50:57 PM   
Bamilus

If you think that is bad try playing Decisive Campaigns Warsaw to Paris on medium or slow computer thinking time. Turns take 30-40 minutes (I have a fast computer). I usually do a turn and then let it process overnight.

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to drleon)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> How do you spend the time pending computer is 'thinking'? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI