Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light cruiser)?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light cruiser)? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light crui... - 6/19/2019 12:34:44 PM   
Encircled

Not quite sure what you'd do with them like, but they are available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-48684400

Post #: 1
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 12:46:51 PM   
mind_messing

I'm sure we can crowdfund a salvage operation from AE players and use the proceeds to fund WitP 2...

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 2
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 1:04:10 PM   
Zorch

I wonder why they can't be raised and scrapped like the rest of the ships were. Pre-1945 steel is in high demand for instruments used to measure radiation.

Which reminds me - Scapa 1919: The Archaeology of a Scuttled Fleet Hardcover by Innes McCartney was just published and may explain why.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 2:39:00 PM   
geofflambert

All buying them gets you is diving access. I'm too old for that crap. Besides, my starship isn't water tight.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 5:26:58 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

All buying them gets you is diving access. I'm too old for that crap. Besides, my starship isn't water tight.

Or is it that Gorns are hydro-phobic?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 8:23:08 PM   
geofflambert

Not really, but I've got an older model of gorn starship, a '92, and it's not airtight either. The thing is you have to get where you're going really fast, before you run out of air.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 6
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 10:59:01 PM   
mrchuck

You might be able to raise one if you promised to restore it. How hard could it be? They weren't blown up, they just opened the sea cocks, so they should be pretty complete.

How cool would it be to have a dreadnought as your second ride??

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 7
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/19/2019 11:47:46 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrchuck

You might be able to raise one if you promised to restore it. How hard could it be? They weren't blown up, they just opened the sea cocks, so they should be pretty complete.

How cool would it be to have a dreadnought as your second ride??

Titanic sank 6 years earlier and it is all rusticles and collapsing decks now - and it is in the deep ocean where O2 levels are likely lower. The carbon-nickel steel of the armour might be in good shape but I expect a lot of the structural strength is gone. Would be cool to harvest a couple of 15" guns to mount on the front lawn though ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to mrchuck)
Post #: 8
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 12:18:26 AM   
Zorch

Some fittings were salvaged between the wars...this might include guns/brass/etc.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 3:09:10 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The "pre-owned" bit is a nice touch.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 10
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 1:06:08 PM   
tdavie

If I can't have it in my backyard, visit it, prevent other people from seeing it or even leaving Canada then I wouldn't really own it. iI'd just be handing my money over. I probably could not even have them demolished.

So, thanks but I'm passing on this one

Tom

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 11
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 5:53:11 PM   
rustysi

Wait, let me check petty cash.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to tdavie)
Post #: 12
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 5:57:50 PM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Titanic sank 6 years earlier and it is all rusticles and collapsing decks now - and it is in the deep ocean where O2 levels are likely lower. The carbon-nickel steel of the armour might be in good shape but I expect a lot of the structural strength is gone. Would be cool to harvest a couple of 15" guns to mount on the front lawn though ...

Another similarly-aged ship for comparison - the US battleship Texas. She never sank (currently a museum ship) but has severe structural issues due to a period of poor maintenance over the years. I would bet money that the battlewagons which spent all that time in saltwater would largely collapse in on themselves if brought to the surface.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 6:20:48 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

quote:

Another similarly-aged ship for comparison - the US battleship Texas. She never sank (currently a museum ship) but has severe structural issues due to a period of poor maintenance over the years. I would bet money that the battlewagons which spent all that time in saltwater would largely collapse in on themselves if brought to the surface.

true, but the steel itself is valuable.

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 14
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 7:48:24 PM   
rustysi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Korvar

quote:

true, but the steel itself is valuable.

OK, but 250k quid.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 15
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 6/20/2019 8:38:51 PM   
BBfanboy

250K squid? - I could net that many ... oh, wait ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 16
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 7/11/2019 8:13:35 AM   
Encircled

All sold, the battlewagons to a Omani consortium and the light cruiser to a collector.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 7/11/2019 5:25:23 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

I'm... confused. If it's not watertight, it's not airtight. If it's not airtight, it's not spaceworthy. What gives?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 18
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 7/11/2019 8:08:39 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

I'm... confused. If it's not watertight, it's not airtight. If it's not airtight, it's not spaceworthy. What gives?

Gorns are trans-dimensional creatures. We only see the part that is projected into our pitiful 3 dimensional senses.
Our physical environment is usually meaningless to them.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 19
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 7/12/2019 3:53:56 PM   
Telemecus

The Royal Navy was selling off its aircraft carriers on the internet a few years ago

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8411201/HMS-Ark-Royal-put-up-for-sale-on-military-eBay.html

Brazil tried to sell one of its aircraft carriers on ebay!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/1451338/For-internet-sale-aircraft-carrier-only-three-owners.html

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 20
RE: Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light ... - 7/13/2019 7:57:48 PM   
rustysi

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Fancy owning some sunken battlewagons (and a light cruiser)? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI