Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/24/2019 8:05:38 AM   
CaptBeefheart

TB: Thanks for the summary. One aspect of the game I found challenging is supply, especially in France and Belgium. How is that coming along? Could you show us a screenshot with active rail lines and depots?

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to TankBushido)
Post #: 91
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/25/2019 4:18:21 AM   
TankBushido

As I mentioned earlier, I had my troubles with repairing rails early in Sicily and Italy, but finally figured out the rail repair units. Depot building has been a little confusing because sometimes I'll look at the details of a location that should be able to house a depot, but I can't build there. I think it comes down to two things: I just can't build a depot in a hex on the turn you capture it and I can't build a depot on a hex where the rail line is damaged? You can see my rail net in France. I have a main line extending out and have started to a string of depots. The 1st CA Army HQ (with 4 supply priority) is sitting on the priority 4 depot has all of the Corps HQs in the eastern facing front attached to it. I'm building another line from Brittany that I will connect to the main net and create a secondary spur that goes further south.

The supply organization method seems pretty simple. Have supply flowing into a port (the bigger, the better), extend the rail line from that port to the front, build depots as close to the front as possible, and set priorities high for both the depots and HQs you want to receive supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 92
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 12:59:47 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks for that. Looks like a cleared RR route to Brest would be in order.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 93
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 2:00:06 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 53:
The cleared railroad route from Brest is coming soon enough as the Germans in the way are being reduced. The turn starts out good. That pesky 9th SS Panzer division finally surrendered at Granville. I can now rush that corps east to bolster my front lines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 94
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 4:10:25 AM   
TankBushido

On the main front, I punch a small hole in the line. I need more troops to make more sustained progress. I have too much in the rear areas right now and have lost critical mass.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 95
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 4:18:59 AM   
TankBushido

In Southern France, it feels like the Twilight Zone. First let’s start with the forces advancing up the Rhone River valley. Over the past three weeks, they’ve travelled from the French Riviera all the way to within sight of the Belfort Gap without encountering any Germans at all. They’re only 100 km/60 miles from Germany. There is still a war going on, isn’t there? Maybe West Wall is a myth too and there is nothing standing between us and Berlin.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 96
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:12:49 AM   
TankBushido

And as the mainly Free French forces continue to inch their way their way over the Maritime Alps, we are blocked by a lowly security regiment and a mountain regiment? Where the heck are the German forces? Meanwhile twenty odd divisions are laagering in Central Italy getting drunk on stolen Italian wine. Can’t somebody get on the phone with General Kesselring and tell Uncle Albert that he’s got a crisis developing in the Po Valley. If I walk into Turin unopposed, I’m going to have my air force drop postcards from the city with a message of “Enjoying my vacation in Turin. Wish you were here.”

Attachment (1)

Post #: 97
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:24:51 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 54:
Vanguard units from the South reach the outskirts of Nancy and finally make contact with a German unit. There is a war on after all. I’m being cautious with this force because supply is still lagging way behind and they can be outflanked easily. I’m content to just be a threat to the German southern flank.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TankBushido -- 6/27/2019 5:25:22 AM >

Post #: 98
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:27:29 AM   
TankBushido

I’m able to surround a panzer and infantry division near Amiens in France and with a new corp on the line, I’m positioned for a bigger breakout next turn as the German line is looking really brittle. My troops from the south have forced the Germans to stretch their line quite a bit.

In the rear areas, St. Malo finally falls, which allows me to rush another corp to the front lines. The rail line from Brest is linked up with the other line going east.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 99
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:31:26 AM   
TankBushido

In the South, I’m out of the mountains into the hills. I can see the plains of the Po Valley stretched out below. Marseilles is still being reduced. I’ve made a change of plans. After I capture Marseilles, I’m going to send one corps north and one corps into the Po Valley to capitalize on the opportunity there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 100
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:40:32 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 55:
The Germans in Marseilles finally surrender. The flood into the Po Valley looks imminent. I’ve probably been too methodical here, but I don’t really have a good supply situation. Over the last several turns I shipped a rail repair unit from Central Italy so that I can repair a rail line to the valley.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 101
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:53:56 AM   
TankBushido

In the Belfort area, infantry arrives and I move adjacent to the Rhein River. My artillery can now fire into Germany. I make sure to secure a lodgement on the eastern side of the Moselle River.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 102
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 5:59:22 AM   
TankBushido

But the big news is in NE France where a blow a 20 mile wide gap in the German line and Allied armor motors deep into the German rear areas, taking Arras and threatening to surround the entire north side of the German front. The Germans really have no reserves; there are just HQ units behind the main front line.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 103
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/27/2019 4:18:03 PM   
John B.

You have to ask yourself. If you could choose between drinking looted wine in central Italy or fighting a losing war high up in the Alps, which would you choose? :)

Post #: 104
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/28/2019 4:48:01 AM   
TankBushido

Turn 56:
Allied troops march into Turin unopposed, next stop Milan. German forces around Imperia on the south coast are surrounded. No fighting at all this turn in the south; this is all just maneuver.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John B.)
Post #: 105
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/28/2019 5:42:56 AM   
TankBushido

In France, the Germans pulled back to a line running from the Belgium border SE to Lorraine. I take Dieppe and generally just advance east into open space.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 106
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:27:57 PM   
TankBushido

Turn 57:
In France, I attempt to attack the line in the north on the run. My infantry moved up and attacked the line, but the Germans had several mobile divisions in reserve so it was not a quick breakthrough. I was only able to clear and occupy two hexes east near Brussels. I’m not helped by some rain and mud which the forecast predicts will persist next week as well.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 107
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:31:48 PM   
TankBushido

In Northern Italy, German reinforcements are spotted in the Po Valley so I pull back into a more defensible perimeter until I can bring up the main body of my forces who have surrounded a pocket of Germans around the port of Imperia, which I take to isolate them.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 108
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:35:54 PM   
TankBushido

The Germans also shift their defensive line in Southern Italy. So I advance into the mountains around Cassino and surround an elite Airborne division in parked in a port on the Adriatic coast.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 109
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:41:54 PM   
TankBushido

Turn 58:
I push in Belgium again trying to make a breakout, but am only able to advance two hexes again and can’t make a deeper breakthrough. I’m struggling with what to do with all those ports on the north coast which I want to clear, but are dispersing my strength. The Germans are dropping one or more infantry division in every port. I can easily reduce one a turn which I have done up to this point (with Le Harve being the only exception), but that’s at the cost of the main focus of my advance. At the same time, they are racking up city points which has my city VP rising every turn and they have the added benefit of providing supply points very close to the front . I’m not sure if I’ve made the right balance of forces in dealing with them; the cost/benefit isn’t totally clear.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 110
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:47:47 PM   
TankBushido

Further south, I begin a push in the northeasterly direction towards Metz, but am only able to take one hex near Verdun. Again, I don’t have enough movement points for a full breakout. The light mud isn’t helping matters. These late July rains are hampering my progress and I feel like I’ve lost a lot of momentum.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 111
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:52:44 PM   
TankBushido

In Northern Italy, the Imperia pocket is almost reduced. Once that’s clear next turn, I will resume my general advance in the Po Valley and continue to push eastwards. There has been a force of Germans still hanging out in the Alps and I deploy forces to screen them away for Turin. Their rail line is now cut so hopefully they will exfiltrate out of the mountains on their own in a few turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 112
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 6/29/2019 11:54:30 PM   
TankBushido

In Central Italy, I am able to force a surrender of the 3rd Fsjr division on the Adriatic coast. There is another Fsjr regiment in another port on the west coast, but my forces bypass it and push up the Liri Valley towards Rome.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 113
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 7:40:11 PM   
TankBushido

Turn 59:
I’ve been reorganizing sectors on the fly and have been methodically reorganizing my front lin. For sectors that I’m not actively trying to push forward, I have the front covered by regiments and brigades from broken down divisions with a full division in reserve behind the front line. This equates to 4 divisions per corp, which maxes out the 11 admin points per corps HQ unit. This has allowed me to concentrate more forces on my two main axis’ of attack in northern Europe, which roughly matches the historical advance paths: one through Belgium with an aim to cross the Rhine north of the Ruhr and the second in the Metz area aimed northeast toward the Saar region of Germany.

Generally, the AI has been inert and hasn’t been attacking, but has attacked in a few places and I’ve been able to hole wherever he attacks.

In Belgium and northern France, I am able to make a deeper break through south of Brussels. Also, I’m able to clear the port of Dunkirk.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 114
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 7:44:23 PM   
TankBushido

In the southern sector of France, I create a break through east of Nancy and push north adjacent to Metz. Another small hole in the line in created south of Verdun.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 115
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 7:49:14 PM   
TankBushido

In northern Italy, I force a surrender of the troops surrounded near Imperia on the coast. The rail line has been repaired up to Turin and with the corps on the coast now freed up, I’m ready for a big push east for the next two turns.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 116
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 7:52:55 PM   
TankBushido

In central Italy, I march into Rome and march through the mountains. I suspect the German blocking troops will be fully pulling back to northern Italy soon.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 8:01:04 PM   
TankBushido

Turn 60:
As a result of my recent gains, I’ve reached a tipping point for victory points. Part of this is just that I’ve been accumulating a lot of city points such as my recent capture of Rome and my ever accumulation of ports on France’s western coast (which I have a corps methodically port busting to capture them all). Another aspect is that I’ve been overrunning V-weapon launch sites. Regardless, the turn-by-turn VP situation is looking pretty good with still four months left until the VP divisors change.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 118
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 8:07:49 PM   
TankBushido

Here’s German defenses at the start of the turn. The Germans have defended the bulge south of Brussels, but have a few regiments being annoyingly blocking full access to the bulge. In the south, two divisions are ripe for encirclement at Nancy.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 119
RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 - 7/6/2019 8:14:30 PM   
TankBushido

I expand the bulge and get a bridgehead across one of the rivers, but still need to get across the Albert Canal. This advance is looking very much like Market Garden, only without the airborne drops. I starting to shift more infantry into the bulge, so I think I’ll be able to break out next turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Sledgehammer ’43 Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI