Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game won't Load

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game won't Load Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game won't Load - 6/2/2019 12:00:12 AM   
Loungeman

I know this is posted like a thousand times but I have windows 10 I have this game on steam and it won't load. I have followed the trouble shooting I have explorer and windows media player. The only problem is when I get to the Direct X part I don't have a file named redist. (Image below) I guess I don't know what I am doing if anyone could direct me that would be great.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1
RE: Game won't Load - 7/7/2019 6:15:48 AM   
corse

Hey loungeman. I also had issues with mine, and I found that said directx did not exist in mine either.

Mine actually ended up being windows media player and not directx.

What does your crashdump say?

Also check your version of windows, there is apparently a new update that went out some time ago with the newest versions of windows 10 that the "N" editions of windows 10 didn't end up having the full entire installation working for some reason, and you have to install a completely separate media pack to get it working.

First check your crash dump (documents and settings, search "distant worlds") and then see what the crash dump says. Mine tossed a "Class not registered" event at me.

Even when I went to windows features, it /said/ mine had windows media player installed, but if i actually went to start and searched "windows media player" mine was missing.

You can search up " DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)" and it'll pop up with a microsoft download page in google, where you can download and manually install it (which I also did). But my end fix was searching down "Media Feature Pack for N versions of Windows 10" and downloading the right pack for my version of 10. After a restart, I had to then manually run windows media player, do the setup, and then manually start the game as administrator in windows xp sp3 compatibility and poof, it worked.

(in reply to Loungeman)
Post #: 2
RE: Game won't Load - 8/8/2019 6:16:19 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Loungeman

I know this is posted like a thousand times but I have windows 10 I have this game on steam and it won't load. I have followed the trouble shooting I have explorer and windows media player. The only problem is when I get to the Direct X part I don't have a file named redist. (Image below) I guess I don't know what I am doing if anyone could direct me that would be great.

Loungeman

First don't worry about a file called redist...... I don't have that as a file or folder in the Distant Worlds folder and my game runs fine.

Looking at your screenshot you should have another 46 files in the folder Distant Worlds Universe and they are not in your screenshot. One file that should be there is DistantWorlds.exe because that is one that runs the game. Your game does not start because that file has not been built by Steam yet.When you hit play in Steam it should come up saying it is creating files.

Otherwise:

1. Check Directx is installed ok

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010
Run DXSETUP.exe and make sure it finishes without errors.

2. You need to go back into Steam and click the Play button for Distant Worlds Universe. This should set up the files in the Distant Worlds Folder. Check that DistantWorlds.exe exists in the Distant World Universe folder.

If the game still does not run and the file DistantWorldUniverse.exe was created then

3. In the Distant Worlds Universe there should be a file called Startup.ini
Edit this file and where the line says playmovie 1 change it to playmovie 0

If the game still does not run then

4. Find DistantWorldUniverse.exe in the Distant Worlds Universe Folder
Right click and run it as Administrator.

If the game still does not run then

In Steam right click on Distant Worlds Universe in your list of games
Go to Properties
Click Local Files
Verify Integrity of Game Files

This should fix any issues during the install.

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/8/2019 6:31:57 AM >

(in reply to Loungeman)
Post #: 3
RE: Game won't Load - 8/8/2019 6:24:16 AM   
zakblood

make sure steam and the game is also run as admin

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Game won't Load Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI